As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2018 Challenge Coin -All done!

fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin ManNewcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited July 2019 in PAX Australia
UCT7CqG.png
What is a PAX Challenge Coin? Click here for details.
Last year's thread (this OP will be frequently updated with the latest info on design/ordering/etc).

Second batch order form is live here: http://bit.ly/PA18CoinOrder2
Will close 30th of November.

Photos of the final coins:

Final production art:
CJddpVxl.jpg

There's 2 Mario images on the bottom there to show how the coin will look before and after the black printing is applied to the jar.

Unfortunately to do this they had to remove the smaller detail from the jar on the regular coin, or it was going to cost an extra $65 to stamp a separate die.

Orders are now open!:

http://bit.ly/PAXAUS2018Order

=============================
Also please note that the cost per coin has been raised this year by $2 USD each:

- Regular Coins now cost $7 USD each.
- Colour Coins now cost $8 USD each.

It sucks, but production costs have going up at the factory apparently.
=============================

Production Artwork:
Production Artwork (click for big):

c29aEZfl.jpg

Gonna see if I can get them to make the vegemite jar on the colour coin look like vegemite and not peanut butter, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with that.

Please check it for typos/correct dates/any other issues you can find. The size/thickness/type of metal all seem correct and match last years coin.

Design:
I think Luna Park would be appropriate as they actually have a "Penny Arcade" inside of it:

fAWDdSu.png

And I can now reveal that @Sammy.Sam of Dino Timecop Force has illustrated the art for the gaming side this year; "Mario Discovers A New Power Up":

U5TgeY0.png

Question, do we prefer a red or green mushroom?

OMJjd2I.png

I think the green 1up looks better myself.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also I've personally paid @Sammy.Sam a small sum for his work, but if you like his art feel free to chuck a few dollarydoos towards his paypal at: [email protected]

OP content here:
Gotta get this going, and unlike last year I don't have many ideas for either side, so if you have a photo you'd like to submit or a suggestion let's hear them!

We need something gaming related for the face side, and an image representing Melbourne for the back.

Here's a couple of photos I've taken that we could potentially use for the location side:

r6WQxsTm.jpg
AMCI building (if you've taken a better photo of this building please submit it).

dsj6m8Pm.jpg
What's this artwork called again?

As usual we need to get moving on this, so please suggest ideas and submit any photos you have sooner rather than later.

fishfishmonkeyhat on

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    How about the faces of Tycho and Gabe?

• branblesbranbles Registered User regular
    I'll throw out something meta for the gaming side.

ahny4rz1jue6.jpg

For the location side, i know a tram was used in '15 but what about using the tourist tram? It could come up really nice in colour.

• Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    I know I suggested this last year, but it bears repeating (IMHO) - the Royal Exhibition Building.

https://museumsvictoria.com.au/reb/

3078912217_2ce533d33d.jpgRoyal-Exhibition-Building-Melbourne-I by Ken M, on Flickr

• Tangram11Tangram11 Registered User regular
    Exhibition building is pretty good.

Also the Arts Centre spire is an icon:
    ArtsSpire1.jpg

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Since it is PAX Australia, why not go with something from somewhere other than Melbourne for a change?

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• qazerboiqazerboi Registered User regular
    How about we go with this....42wocivcaeep.jpg

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
    edited August 2018
    Another idea for the gaming side, there where a bunch of Australian DOS/MAC games made for schools in the 80's/90's. I used Wanted Ned Kelly becasue that's the one I remember playing but there were others like Goldfeilds or Crossing the Mountains.

uxmb9dr3pq6w.jpg

branbles on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sorry I've been MIA the last week, some catch up:
    branbles wrote: »

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/zo/ahny4rz1jue6.jpg

My only issue with that is we used a meeple on last years coin. Also it might be a little too meta. :P
    Dark King wrote: »
    I know I suggested this last year, but it bears repeating (IMHO) - the Royal Exhibition Building.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3225/3078912217_2ce533d33d.jpg

Looks a little too similar to the Flinders Street Station from the 2016 coin (well, it will once it's converted/simplified to the coin design).
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    Since it is PAX Australia, why not go with something from somewhere other than Melbourne for a change?

This is occasionally suggested, but the tradition of the US coins is for it to be the host city, and also if they ever move AUS to another city (say Sydney) it's handy to have those options available (ala the coat-hanger).
    Tangram11 wrote: »

I don't hate it, but once that is shrunk down the image will be 95% sky. Unless you think we could crop it to just the main building?
    Devereaux wrote: »

What does everyone think of Luna Park? I think that would look pretty great on a coin. Also think the AMCI building would be a cool design.

Basically I think we need to mix it up a bit from previous coins that just had "front of building / sky".
    Another idea for the gaming side, there where a bunch of Australian DOS/MAC games made for schools in the 80's/90's. I used Wanted Ned Kelly becasue that's the one I remember playing but there were others like Goldfeilds or Crossing the Mountains.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/ma/uxmb9dr3pq6w.jpg

That's an interesting idea. Do you have any other examples?

Another idea I've had is getting an artist I know to do a design maybe featuring something like Mario coming to Australia for a holiday, or maybe he used his hat to capture the plane over here, lying on a beach, something like that. If anyone thinks that might be a good idea, or has a better idea around the same subject let us know.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What about mario hat/eyes on a jar of vegimite, having possessed it?

We just got a PA Mario Odyssey pin set, so I think it's still relevant.

edited August 2018
    author wrote:
    quoted text

My only issue with that is we used a meeple on last years coin. Also it might be a little too meta. :P
    Well it doesn't NEEED to be meeple, just need someone more artistic to do the design though ; ). It really was a joke though for the sake of kicking things off. Also glory to the sweet roll.
    Devereaux wrote: »

What does everyone think of Luna Park? I think that would look pretty great on a coin. Also think the AMCI building would be a cool design.

Basically I think we need to mix it up a bit from previous coins that just had "front of building / sky".
    I also think luna park would look pretty cool.
    Another idea for the gaming side, there where a bunch of Australian DOS/MAC games made for schools in the 80's/90's. I used Wanted Ned Kelly because that's the one I remember playing but there were others like Goldfields or Crossing the Mountains.

That's an interesting idea. Do you have any other examples?

Here's another concept in the same space. It's the title screens from Goldfields and Wanted Ned Kelly in an old beige box but I can't find much else asset wise from anything else. I did find the manual from Crossing the Mountains but it looks more like a book than a game.

h2h67b9duhel.png
    frrr0jx4hltx.png
    Another idea I've had is getting an artist I know to do a design maybe featuring something like Mario coming to Australia for a holiday, or maybe he used his hat to capture the plane over here, lying on a beach, something like that. If anyone thinks that might be a good idea, or has a better idea around the same subject let us know.
    This sounds like a good thread to pull, Mario is always in style.
    7ekg0xx3w4eq.png

branbles on
  • PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    If you like the game on a PC design I would suggest a Microbee PC85 as it was an Australian company that designed and built the system.

edited August 2018
    I think Luna Park would be appropriate as they actually have a "Penny Arcade" inside of it:

fAWDdSu.png

And I can now reveal that @Sammy.Sam of Dino Timecop Force has illustrated the art for the gaming side this year; "Mario Discovers A New Power Up":

U5TgeY0.png

Question, do we prefer a red or green mushroom?

OMJjd2I.png

I think the green 1up looks better myself.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also I've personally paid @Sammy.Sam a small sum for his work, but if you like his art feel free to chuck a few dollarydoos towards his paypal at: [email protected]

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Tubby2877Tubby2877 Addicted Pinner Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The green helps to counter all the red of mario and the fire flower. Also luna park is a great option

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Go with the green mushroom.

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah looks great! Green is good :P

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • limedragonflylimedragonfly Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Green mushie and Luna Park FTW!

Green mushroom is better. First thing that came to mind when I saw the Luna Park design was Batman's Joker.

• qazerboiqazerboi Registered User regular
    I think the green mushie works best & Luna Park is brilliant.
    I'll be up for two of each type of coin once we have a form.

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
  • johnhqldjohnhqld Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Definitely Green Mushroom

• KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Green mushroom for sure - too much red otherwise. Luna Park sounds good! Awesome work as always, Fish!

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Tangram11Tangram11 Registered User regular
    Luna Park and Green Mushie. All good.

• tomandjebinspacetomandjebinspace Registered User regular
    Green mushroom - for the reasons stated above.
    Luna Park looks good too!

Ok art has been submitted with the green mushie and Luna P.

Now we play the waiting game/Hungry Hungry Hippos.

I'll get the order form sorted next.

edited September 2018
    Click for big:

c29aEZfl.jpg

Gonna see if I can get them to make the vegemite jar on the colour coin look like vegemite and not peanut butter, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with that.

Please check it for typos/correct dates/any other issues you can find. The size/thickness/type of metal all seem correct and match last years coin.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    edited September 2018
    So the only change I've asked for was this:
    hVbikwQ.png
    But it's looking like the only way we can achieve that on such a small element is to print the black/white parts over the top of the coin. This will increase the cost of each colour coin by another 50 cents, but I think it will probably be worth it.

I'm just waiting on updated production art to see what it will look like and then I can show you guys.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • NorthLight36NorthLight36 Registered User new member
    How do we order and pay for these, by the way? They're awesome!

@NorthLight36 I'll have the form ready this weekend, but it won't go live until I confirm the new cost of the colour coins.

edited September 2018
    Ok here's the final production art:

CJddpVxl.jpg

There's 2 Mario images on the bottom there to show how the coin will look before and after the black printing is applied to the jar.

Unfortunately to do this they had to remove the smaller detail from the jar on the regular coin, or it was going to cost an extra $65 to stamp a separate die.

Orders are now open!:

http://bit.ly/PAXAUS2018Order

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    We’re sitting on about half of each lot of coins sold right now, fyi.

• CryadisCryadis Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Got one of each. Thanks for organising this again this year :)

wsfchvkv6bv1.png

I waiting on some info that will determine the size of my order. Therefore I need to know the cutoff date for coin orders.

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    Coins ordered, got 2 of each. Great job and thanks!!

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
    PDP11 wrote: »
    I waiting on some info that will determine the size of my order. Therefore I need to know the cutoff date for coin orders.

Production will probably take another week or so, but assuming they don’t sell out beforehand maybe the 1st of oct?

I’ll send an email around before I do though.

edited September 2018
    First year the colour coins have been more popular than the regulars.

Assuming I’m counting these correctly off my phone screen, the current numbers are:

Regular: 74/100
    Colour: 93/100

So if anyone was waiting on ordering a colour coin I’d do it sooner rather then later.

Edit: updated the numbers.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    I've just submitted a second order for show pick up.

All colour coins are now purchased!

19 regular coins left.

• NectinNectin Registered User new member
    edited September 2018
    Any chance of a second batch? I know that means they may not arrive in time for PAX, but I was really hoping to snag at least one complete set (normal + color). If not, I'm probably going to order a couple of regulars and hope to trade for a color version....

I just recently started collecting the challenge coins and didn't realize these would go on sale so early, or sell out so fast! Now I'm kicking myself for not checking this thread more often :(

Nectin on
    @Nectin There will def be a second batch of coins after PAX (order form should be up before the show).

Although if you keep an eye out you might actually be able to get one at the show, as a few people order some for prizes for different competitions there.

• NectinNectin Registered User new member
    Ok, sounds great! Is the second batch going to be for both normal and color variants as well? I'm assuming its for both, so I will hold off on ordering the normal coins for now so I don't have to pay double shipping.

I can't make it to Aus this year, so getting the coins at the show is sadly out of the question :(