As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Webcomics] that make you say Dun Dun Dun!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just wondering about D&D rules; can gods resurrect people on their own?
    I mean, if Thor can give his clerics the power to bring people back from the dead, could he just skip the middleman and send Durkon back?

Sure, it's the literal definition of a Deus Ex Machina, but fate of the world here, guys.

Also, my understanding of the rules is it takes 1000gp or something worth of diamond to resurrect people. I can't believe that a DM somewhere hasn't had to deal with someone going "Right, I'll sell you this 50gp diamond for 1000gp. It's now 1000gp worth of diamond, cast your spell", but what's the official stance on that?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the spirit of the rule is the quantity of diamonds is what is relevant, not the price tag on them, the price tag is just a convenient way to measure quantities of generic objects.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I mean, if Thor can give his clerics the power to bring people back from the dead, could he just skip the middleman and send Durkon back?

Sure, it's the literal definition of a Deus Ex Machina, but fate of the world here, guys.

Also, my understanding of the rules is it takes 1000gp or something worth of diamond to resurrect people. I can't believe that a DM somewhere hasn't had to deal with someone going "Right, I'll sell you this 50gp diamond for 1000gp. It's now 1000gp worth of diamond, cast your spell", but what's the official stance on that?

If I was DMing, I would allow them to attempt the spell with their 50gp diamond and it would fail no matter what. If they rolled badly, the failure might involve an exploding corpse.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Some gods have the ability to revive people directly, even circumventing the rule against reviving those who die from old age, but it is usually reserved for the leader of a pantheon or a god devoted to life or healing.
    the spirit of the rule is the quantity of diamonds is what is relevant, not the price tag on them, the price tag is just a convenient way to measure quantities of generic objects.

naHznVm.png

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

There's not an official stance on that, except that D&D 3.5e is a game where gold is a mechanically relevant part of the standard powerlevel of characters and so everything costing "gold" is clearly less about actual economics and more about a secondary resource for customization/one time effects. This is abundantly clear when you consider that PC gold scales exponentially with level and even at low levels, your gear costs the equivalent of several years salary for peasants; if you actually wanted to bring economics into it even trying to purchase enough diamonds for a resurrection would be market distorting on its own. But that doesn't actually matter because gold is just "Cool Thingamabobs XP" and not actual money.

If a player actually tries to do this or stuff like this to the point it becomes a problem, the solution is to talk to the player; it's almost never the right call to solve out-of-game issues like "this player clearly wants to cheese their gold total" with in-game solutions.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Some gods have the ability to revive people directly, even circumventing the rule against reviving those who die from old age, but it is usually reserved for the leader of a pantheon or a god devoted to life or healing.

naHznVm.png

yes it is good for making jokes about

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I have to assume in D&D settings there’s a powerful God of Commerce who implemented a universal gold piece based currency standard that doesn’t fluctuate or change in strength from country to country. So one GP is worth the same everywhere, inflation doesn’t exist, and a thousand gold worth of diamonds is always the same.

Woe betide unto all mortal fools who would dare to alter the strength of their currency, for the Lord of Dollars and the Shepherd of Gross National Products will smite thee with furious anger and swift monetary vengeance.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I have to assume in D&D settings there’s a powerful God of Commerce who implemented a universal gold piece based currency standard that doesn’t fluctuate or change in strength from country to country. So one GP is worth the same everywhere, inflation doesn’t exist, and a thousand gold worth of diamonds is always the same.

Woe betide unto all mortal fools who would dare to alter the strength of their currency, for the Lord of Dollars and the Shepherd of Gross National Products will smite thee with furious anger and swift monetary vengeance.

Waukeen is a huge jerk, as one would expect the goddess of capitalism to be.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »

Waukeen is a huge jerk, as one would expect the goddess of capitalism to be.

She has a lovely promenade in her honor though. If I ever get the chance to name a mall or plaza I'm going to name it Waukeen's Promenade.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Look, Amazing DnD buildings dedicated to gods are 13 a dozen. Athkatla is a cesspit of corruption, wickedness and magifascist despots.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    oEWfxzK.png

So, remember that teacher that thought Amber was cheating simply because Amber was acing her tests? Well...

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand what happened there. Was Mike catfishing the teacher and using the football player as cover?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    jamsyjamsy Somewhere in AsiaRegistered User regular
    Carefully balanced traps, that's Pintsize alright.

Currently playing Brave Frontier & THE ALCHEMIST CODE - woop!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I don’t understand what happened there. Was Mike catfishing the teacher and using the football player as cover?

Yeah. The implication is that what he said before was a lie. He does care about Ethan and Amber. He’s probably literally a sociopath or maybe that isnt the right term. It seems like the implication is that he’s capable of great evil but not towards them. He also in general seems to do cool things out of a twisted sense of doing good. This is consistent with the other version of Mike near the end of its walky would regularly tell someone a hard truth or fuck with them in a way that pushed them to be better people.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    To be fair he has a point

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    In today's nsfw rock cocks, sterling reveals he's a dick.

But considering mel's trajectory, he hastened the inevitable.

But managed to profit

• Options
    dd72othb6j0o.png
    xkcd
    is about equations.
    I don't know enough about equations to know how or if this is funny.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Rich can't be stopped!

Even if today's OOTS is blurry:
    14i753awbfac.png

Edit: Also I hope you all appreciate the extreme strength of will I had to exercise to not steal any of that punchlines thunder. So many cropable bits in that last panel.

Thor god is best god.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    DkzQmoXU4AEJS3-.jpg
    Sleepless Domain

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Huh, thought tetsu was nb

They are. "She was deadly on the guard" is referring to Tetsu's trainer.

• Options
    Oh i see, i thought they were talking Bout tetsu at the end and vice versa.

Because the person to the left of their conversation appeared to be thd subject in my eyes

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Tetsu needs at least three more tetsu's to be truly dangerous.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Still grossed out by dangerously chloe, but today's plot twist is not what i expected.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    i180817shaft.jpg
    If you ever wonder what it’s like running the most popular newspaper comics blog on the internet, imagine looking at this Crankshaft comic and thinking to yourself, “Is there a joke here? Is it supposed to be character-driven, like we’re supposed to have enough of a feel for Max’s personality that we think it’s funny he did this? Or maybe it’s … wordplay of some kind,” and then you say the phrase “Max Axelrod loves my arugula” out loud, to nobody, in your home office, multiple times, and finally you just throw it up on your website and say I DUNNO, MAN

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    i180817shaft.jpg
    If you ever wonder what it’s like running the most popular newspaper comics blog on the internet, imagine looking at this Crankshaft comic and thinking to yourself, “Is there a joke here? Is it supposed to be character-driven, like we’re supposed to have enough of a feel for Max’s personality that we think it’s funny he did this? Or maybe it’s … wordplay of some kind,” and then you say the phrase “Max Axelrod loves my arugula” out loud, to nobody, in your home office, multiple times, and finally you just throw it up on your website and say I DUNNO, MAN

Good comics are obviously good and bad comics can at least be fun to make fun of, but stuff like this is brain poison

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't know how you make something like that

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don’t get it.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I don’t get it.

I'm pretty sure it's the comics equivalent of visiting your grandma and having her tell you a "story" about how in the grocery store the other day she ran into a friend of hers you've never heard of and apparently her garden is doing very well this year.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.