As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [steam] Autumn Sale has come, now until 11/27!!!

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Been playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. This one seems much better than AC1 and AC2 for some reason. I don't recall enjoying AC1 and 2 as much as I'm enjoying Brotherhood. I didn't hate 1 and 2, but Brotherhood seems way better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    2/Brotherhood were once considered the peak of the series.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Revelations was pretty good, too. One day I'll get to AC3 and be able comment on it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Been playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. This one seems much better than AC1 and AC2 for some reason. I don't recall enjoying AC1 and 2 as much as I'm enjoying Brotherhood. I didn't hate 1 and 2, but Brotherhood seems way better.

AC2 was where the series really started getting interesting. Brotherhood was even better since it picked up almost right after AC2 left off and introduced the ability to call in members of the brotherhood to assist in taking down targets.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Boyfriend Dungeon has a Kickstarter now, which I can't link because forum rules but it's already reached its funding so the sixth weapon, the brass knuckles, are going to be implemented. Why is this exciting to me? Because every weapon the game, six total including the knuckles, is actually someone who can transform into the weapon. And the brass knuckles are actually a cat. Yes, we're going Soul Eater here and it is going to be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRQjfd0Zf5U

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I played Phantom Doctrine some more.

It may resemble Xcom, but it's pretty much not like it. It's much more interesting to sneak around the levels and finish missions without shootouts, but it's a shame that stealth mechanics and options are not terribly expanded.

Also, this game has A LOT of different systems, that are not properly explained. I really think that everyone's first laythrough should be just screwing around, trying to learn how to play, and only later it's viable to play on hard / iron man.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Why are the Runners in Deathgarden covered in red DNA symbols...and utterly immortal.

That means they're healing from a support's shot.

Also I've being playing too much Death Garden the last two days so I'd be happy to play some rounds.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    New valve game where you code linux drivers to send the lord of beasts back to hell and release gabe's soul.

How he got here is a funny story involving wine, a microwave, and non-dairy powdered creamer

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Damn this Spike Chunsoft weekend sale: I'm struggling to think of what to grab between ZTD, Steins;Gate 0 and the 1-2 pack of Danganronpa. Those first two because they are conclusions to VNs I loved, and the last one because it looks outright great.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I really like Phantom Doctrine.

Invisible, Inc. (probably my favorite stealth game other than Metal Gear Solid) and XCOM 2 mixed together with the company's previous title, Hard West. It's not as polished as XCOM, but the systems are interesting and obviously it's a bit more grounded in reality, being a Cold War era story (but not so grounded that it doesn't forego tropes like global conspiracies and a successful MK Ultra program). The worst part about the game right now is line of sight issues, honestly, but they've released two patches quickly after launch that have made a noticeable difference.

A lot of customization and skill wells you can draw from from characters and ways you can approach missions. The basis of the game is you're heading up an organization trying to counteract these various warmongers, no matter what side they (or you) are from. Your agents can be captured, or double agents (which you can turn into triple agents if you play your cards right!). Agents from various places will get close to finding your home base as you try to run counter-ops and feints to try to keep them off your tracks. If they're starting to close in, you can pack up shop and scatter, meeting up at a new base you purchase somewhere else. It doesn't completely reduce the danger you're in (since you can't take it all with you and may lose some people along the way, for them either to die, be converted, or be found for rescue later) but it does alleviate it. Every stage has various intelligence you can find that helps you find out what your enemy is up to (and you literally have to piece it together on a cork board, which is more intuitive than it sounds) and you build new facilities in your base that grant you more tactical options and ways to intercept and deal with hostile agents. Say, you catch an enemy agent in the field after running an investigation and you have several things you can do, but if at the end of these you end up on the battle map, you can capture them or kill them. Killing them just removes the danger and keeps them from getting intel on your agents/base, but getting them back to your base means you can make use of interrogation to get info that helps you stop more major threats or, other than like the aforementioned MK Ultra program or other brainwashing programs. If you do that, you can send them back and when you are planning a counterattack later you use your little Manchurian Candidate codes and they're on your side, doing things like letting you bypass a lot of security from the inside as you control them and your troops making the infiltration, or simply having another agent to make use of in an advantageous position. If not that, you can always leave them embedded and not give them up just yet, if you think you can make better use of them later.

Pretty much all I've talked about so far can be used against you, as well, so it's a back and forth. Health works in a way that you have your base health, which is your literal health bar, and awareness, which is basically a shield that regenerates that represents how, well, aware you are of your surroundings and how likely things are to hit. You can flank and line up a headshot on an enemy agent, but taking time to line up a shot like that takes a lot of concentration which lowers your awareness a lot, meaning you won't be as good at anticipating fire from the enemy and etc.

Oh also there's lots of explosions and airstrikes if that's your cup of tea.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Them: "So, what keeps you playing Metal Gear Survive after 300 hours?"

Me:

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Pew pew pew pew pew!

Why do I want to start up WoW again when I know I'll be bored and won't have the time in nursing school? Damn your siren song of braindeadness I can get behind...or I guess Warframe is right there...if it wasn't boring as well.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    No. Don't fucking do it. Come with me and leave the bad WoW man alone.

Look. I'll even give away the ending of the expansion:
    r0ylwtsrc459.png

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Fookin fans tempting me, otherwise it's Heroes of the Storm...

Oh god save me...

Edit: Or MonHuning, for reasons...if I didn't want a Sumanai Sammich.

Karoz on
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Graveyard Keeper is out! Blah, Steam, you didn't remind me! Grr...

Disappointed to see the mixed reviews.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I get home and find that @Shade is making raspberries at me. Or perhaps the sound of a blowgun dart? Thank you for The Ship: Murder Party!

aRpiiLX.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Coffey wrote: »
    Graveyard Keeper is out! Blah, Steam, you didn't remind me! Grr...

Disappointed to see the mixed reviews.

It looks interesting, but the text during their intro video was very ... uh ... very badly-translated JRPG? Except it was Eastern European I guess? Yeah. That.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Tries to runner deathgarden, hunters all suck

So be it

*PLAYS DOOM SOUNDTRACK*

Karoz on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @Shade just classed at me with a copy of Talisman: Digital Edition.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Me:

-gif-
    Hmmm...I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Orwell is great

Picked it up free from humble bundle, played about 20 minutes of it last night, I can already tell I am going to have thoughts and feelings about this game. I might see if I can get some of my RL friends to play it, and then try to have a book club about it?

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Orwell is great

Picked it up free from humble bundle, played about 20 minutes of it last night, I can already tell I am going to have thoughts and feelings about this game. I might see if I can get some of my RL friends to play it, and then try to have a book club about it?

Perhaps some sort of literature club?

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Orwell is great

Perhaps some sort of literature club?

Hmm, some sort of 'doki doki' one would be best.

• Options
    Revelations was pretty good, too. One day I'll get to AC3 and be able comment on it.

AC3 is kinda good. It suffers from having a protagonist with not as much depth and history as Ezio, but its fine. AC3 was, however, totally surpassed by AC4 because fuckin' pirates.

I was never interested in the newer AC games because they totally lacked pirates. Samurai/Ninja would have also been acceptable.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Me:

-gif-
    Hmmm...I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

fxj4te7kn8df.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    So do you actually play Survive? or just run around and do crazy-ness?

• Options
    These heads (and the statue of The Boss you can see in the background of that screenshot) are all rewards from the online events, so yeah, it is necessary to play it properly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Can you type in chat without being gifted anymore? Thanks for Endless Legend @Sumanai !

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Can you type in chat without being gifted anymore? Thanks for Endless Legend Sumanai !

Of course you can't. What kind of silly question is that?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Is there a buyers guide for the Rainbow Six Seige bundles?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

Don't buy the Starter Edition.

The End.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Can you type in chat without being gifted anymore? Thanks for Endless Legend Sumanai !

Of course you can't. What kind of silly question is that?
    Psh. I do it all the time.

The secret is to just be miserable and sad.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Starter Bundle: avoid at all costs.

Standard Edition: Base game, none of the Season 1, 2, or 3 operators (though you can unlock them with credits in game).

Advanced Edition: Base game with some cosmetic crates and ingame currency to buy cosmetics, none of the Season 1, 2, or 3 operators (though you can unlock them with credits in game).

Gold Edition: Base game with some cosmetic crates and ingame currency to buy cosmetics, contains the Season 3 operators, but not the Season 1 or 2 operators (though you can unlock them with credits in game).

Complete Edition: Base game with some cosmetic crates and ingame currency to buy cosmetics, contains the Season 1, 2, and 3 operators. It's got everything.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Finished Dungeons 3! It was a lot of fun and fixes some problems that existed with 2 but also creates a few new ones.

First off a good deal of streamlining has occurred because really who wanted to use the archer nagas when the healers were the must haves? And those wall improvement to up the efficiency of a room has been sped up significantly (heck I think it's more cosmetic than anything but it's a nice touch). Also, they've implemented a tech tree that actually works requiring you to corrupt good lands in the overworld to generate evilness to unlock various rooms and minions to add to your dungeon as well as research improvements. Also, instead of your dungeon being just Horde or Demons, it can contain both, and the new Undead! The game is also a good 5 hours or so longer to beat than 2 (~20 hours to complete). The new protagonist Thayla the dark elf gives you a powerful hero spellcaster to give you a more direct presence on the battlefield as well.

Now there are some hiccups. While Demons and Undead filled in more of the ranged slots missing for the Horde army, their inability to be healed by the Naga in this game combined with limited population made most of my slots go to Horde and just some token Demons and Undead for their respective utility mechanics. Also you can't deficit spend on traps or needed items for rooms which can interrupt your building if you haven't been hoarding workboxes. Speaking of traps, they've been split between the weaker automatic traps and the stronger manually triggered traps. While some amount of control can be nice (no point wasting a boulder on a single hero) it led to me using traps far less than I did in the previous game in part to the previously mentioned lack of deficit spending. Also the research could be double edged, since some spells and traps needed to be researched after the initial research which made me forget about any that didn't come with the default.

While it seems like I've got a lot of gripes, these were pretty minor honestly. It's an overall fun dungeon manager game with RTS-light elements as you conquer the overworld with plenty of jokes and references to other games as well.

Thanks again to @EvmaAlsar for the gift!

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Can you type in chat without being gifted anymore? Thanks for Endless Legend @Sumanai !

No. The answer is no.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Why is the starter bundle so terrible? you have piqued my interest.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

It's like $5 cheaper and it takes waaaaaay more time to unlock the operators than in the base game. You're basically trading a $5 savings for a massive grind that's not worth it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

It's like $5 cheaper and it takes waaaaaay more time to unlock the operators than in the base game. You're basically trading a $5 savings for a massive grind that's not worth it.

Something something "pride and accomplishment"

This discussion has been closed.