As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PAX] South(land) in the Winter(time) 2019: It's over! Photo on p20

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited January 2019 in Social Entropy++

What is PAX South?
PAX South is one of six (SIX!) conventions started by Penny Arcade and now run by them and ReedPOP/Reed Exhibitions.

When is PAX South 2019?
January 18 - 20, 2019

Where is PAX South 2019?
PAX South will be held, once again, in the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, TX.

Here we will discuss PAX, activities in and around it, and which grotto we are going to for the annual forumer photo. PAX!

Goose! on

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I’m still waiting for the 2017 group pic

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Will be attending, will be getting another playmat and t-shirt, because I gotta get that merch.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    sure, i'll go back to hooters

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man hotel prices went up this year

Also hotel booking sites in general seem to have jumped on to this fun trend where you pay like 20% more if you want a booking with free cancellation

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm excited to see ya'll again.
    Gonna be about 30 pounds lighter (unless I rebound by then) and 100% beardier.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's that time of year again. I might need to wait until end of month though.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll be booking this later/buying my passes closer to, but planning to go for sure

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Def planning to go

And gonna get a hotel room with that sweet TA money I'm getting

And still bringing my car for fantastic adventures across the hellscape that is San Antonio

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Man hotel prices went up this year

Also hotel booking sites in general seem to have jumped on to this fun trend where you pay like 20% more if you want a booking with free cancellation

The pricing through OnPeak or whatever it is turned out to be pretty good last year. The hotel most people stayed at was significantly less expensive through there than booking directly.

I will definitely be looking to roomshare again this year. Just not at the Days Inn. Springfield looked nice though.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'll be around.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    So far, I can pay for the hotel and flight entirely with credit card rewards points. What areas did people say they liked to stay in? I'd hate to stumble drunkenly back by myself.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    So far, I can pay for the hotel and flight entirely with credit card rewards points. What areas did people say they liked to stay in? I'd hate to stumble drunkenly back by myself.

I can't recall, have you done South before? I know I've hung out with you at West, because I remember waiting in line for the main theater there.

Anything directly on the Riverwalk is great, obviously. As far as slightly cheaper options a little bit further out, the Best Western Sunset Suites where I've stayed every year except last year was excellent too, only a couple blocks away. On the other hand, the Days Inn that I split with Madican last year turned out to be kind of crappy, at about the same distance.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    find the hotel with the beer in the lobby

that is the good hotel

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My plan was to just hit the Springhill again, that was a pretty nice hotel, huge rooms too

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    My plan was to just hit the Springhill again, that was a pretty nice hotel, huge rooms too

Is that the one with the good lobby that always turns into the game room?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    edited August 2018

Yes.

The Springhill Suites on Bowie St.

Ketar on
    edited August 2018
    Whoops

Ketar on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

I can't recall, have you done South before? I know I've hung out with you at West, because I remember waiting in line for the main theater there.

Anything directly on the Riverwalk is great, obviously. As far as slightly cheaper options a little bit further out, the Best Western Sunset Suites where I've stayed every year except last year was excellent too, only a couple blocks away. On the other hand, the Days Inn that I split with Madican last year turned out to be kind of crappy, at about the same distance.

Yeah, I had a good time hanging out with you! :) It's almost like someone made a convention for like-minded people to get together and have fun!
    But no, this will be my first South. Prime is too tough to get into, especially since I don't live there anymore.
    Ketar wrote: »

Yes.

The Springhill Suites on Bowie St.

Also on the credit card rewards list! Hmm!

I look forward to the burgers at Southtown 101 again. SOON.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm 100% going to South again

IKknkhU.gif
    That Springhill Suites was pretty much $150/night through OnPeak for South last year. Right now to book online with taxes and fees it's coming to about $130 more total for a 4 night stay than it did last year.

The Tru by Hilton San Antonio Downtown Riverwalk is basically kitty corner from the Springhill Suites and comes to about $127/night with taxes and fees. It is a slightly lower rated hotel though.

I'm going to hold off until Thursday and see what the Springhill Suites looks like with the PAX rate.

I thought Days Inn was the one kitty corner from Springhill

edited August 2018
    Madican wrote: »
    I thought Days Inn was the one kitty corner from Springhill

The Days Inn is further south on that block. The Tru by Hilton is at the north end, closer to the corner.

edit: The Tru is north of Houston Street, and the Days Inn is south of Houston.

Ketar on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hell yeaaaaahhh PAX South!

Super stoked!

steam_sig.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    If I lived in SA, I would go to Southtown every Thursday through the weekend.

Goose! on
    i would have married into the burger restaurant by now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

ah who'm i kidding

i'd be managing the hooters

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    yo are we going back to the Pig Shack again, because that place was delicious

Also hell yeah, I'm going, might be able to swing an extra day to actually see stuff in San Antonio

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    originally mentioned party house (House Rules: No parties)

pretty reasonable house with no listed policy re: parties . . .

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »

If you have more than 4 guests they start charging more per night, though.

how close to hooters is it

this is imperative to me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    i'll be here

PNk1Ml4.png
    pooka wrote: »

That second one is almost disturbingly close to Southtown 101.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Just enough southwest points to fly to this thing

okay, why not

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I am going to do my best to make it to this thing.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    im not 100 percent sure i can afford it this year, but i will absolutely make the attempt

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I'm saving up now. Or at least, trying to.

Also, I have 2 Southwest LUV Vouchers from last year's flights being delayed, but one will expire the week before the show. I've seen other people trade them for cash so I might try doing that.

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Who’s going to take on the mantle of SE++ Omeganaut so we have someone to cheer for? :)

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    You are.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such