As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You know, they never adequately explained why Scott was chosen to be the new Ant-Man outide of them just needing someone expendable. They basically confirmed that Endgame is going to involve time travel and Scott so I'm calling it now. Endgame is going to find Scott crossing paths with a young Hank Pym, setting up Ant-Man 1.

Scott wasn’t ever chosen. He stole the suit and was competent enough that Hank decided to use him.

Naw, Hank purposely leaked the information to Scott through Loius’ friends to lure him in for a test. Hank was also keeping tabs on Scott before the break-in based on all the newspaper clippings he had.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    You know, they never adequately explained why Scott was chosen to be the new Ant-Man outide of them just needing someone expendable. They basically confirmed that Endgame is going to involve time travel and Scott so I'm calling it now. Endgame is going to find Scott crossing paths with a young Hank Pym, setting up Ant-Man 1.

Scott wasn’t ever chosen. He stole the suit and was competent enough that Hank decided to use him.

That's not true. We're walked through how Pym found out through the silly grapevine conversations that Scott Lang was the perfect guy for the job, and then used said silly grapevine to make himself a target for Scott.

It's very ludicrous.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Octavian wrote: »

Yeah, why would Hank Pym pick out a

1. Smart/Tech savvy
    2. Cat Burglar
    3. Who did something at great personal cost to himself because it was a moral good (exposing some big bank fraud)
    4. Was Recently released from prison and had very few prospects

Yeah, i can't see why Hank Pym would have chosen him as a replacement Ant-Man. Very few of those traits line up to what he was looking for. /sarcasm

Tech savvy super thieves are a dime a dozen in the marvel universe. This is the same universe where idiots ripping off ATMs can get their hands on alien energy weapons. They drove home the point through both movies that Scott's, "like, just this guys, you know?" If Hank had wanted any old tech savvy cat burglar, he'd have chosen someone who wasn't such a putz. Sure Scott's got a heart of gold but he's a real fuck-up too. We know Hank had been watching Scott for some time.

Looking at the Endgame trailer part with Scott. The screen shows what looks like the numbers 1983 next to the word Archive. That van he's driving is a 1972 Econoline which also fits with the date. I'll start spoiling my speculation from here as it gets more specific.
    Nick's pager message to CM somehow drops Scott into 1983. By meracious coincidence he finds the original van in the same parking garage and takes it with a key he already has.
    There's a shot where he driving off and the owner, Stan Lee says something wholesome like "oh geez not my van." Scott is getting super weirded out as he drives to Hank's mansion because he doesn't realize what year it is. I think Scott's line about Germany is a red herring and won't be in the final film. Anyway, at Hank's house Scott tries to get in. Some shenanigans ensue. Eventually young Hank and Scott part ways with Hank vowing to keep an eye on Scott in the future. Scott jumps into a portal containing clips from MCU history (maybe picking up some friends along the way) until he eventually reaches the 90s and runs into Captain Marvel, hot off the heels of her solo film. They team up and head into outer space to go Thanos hunting. While all this is going on in the past, we have the unsnapped Avengers trying to figure out who survived and who's still alive. The world has descended into anarchy. Steve and Nat hunt down and recruit Hawkeye. They tell him that they want to get the team back together so they can go kick Thano's ass, wherever he is. They eventually make their way to San Fan looking for Ant Man. That's where they run into the old recording from 1983 and all the different plot threads start to come together. This whole time you have Tony and whoever else survived on Titan looking for a way to escape. They make it off the planet but a battle ensues. Tony ends up in a fighter and gets separated from the rest. Meanwhile back in the past the other avengers continue continue on their quest to punch Thanos. It's not going well so It turns into caper instead. They're going to sneak into Eitri's place where he made the infinity gauntlet and sabotage it somehow. This all goes sideways as Thanos shows up. Scott has to make the ultimate sacrifice to sabotage the glove. While all this is going on, the unsnapped avengers found Thanos and punched him. Somehow during all this, they realize there's some time travel buggery going on and this version of themselves will soon have never existed. Steve and Nat share one last kiss as they fondly remember that moment from Winter Soldier. Cut to the fight at Wakanda. Vision still gets his skull ripped open, but it's ok. We've got a backup. He's got a TV show coming up, after all. Everyone else who died before the snap is still dead. Thor comes in with the steel chair, Thanos delivers his line about going for the head than snaps. Nothing happens. Thor takes the axe out and lops thano's head off. The snapped avengers are dusted this time. The last scene is Captain Marvel showing up to rescue Tony and reunite him with Pepper. I think going to be too late, though. After all this is probably the last movie we'll see RDJ in. If she's too late, there will be a touching scene with Pepper watching the recording with the broken mask on her head. You'll see a single tear run down her cheek through the blasted out part of the mask. I think the post credit scene will set up Far From Home. That fight that seperated Peter and Tony will kick off that movie.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Octavian wrote: »

Yeah, why would Hank Pym pick out a

1. Smart/Tech savvy
    2. Cat Burglar
    3. Who did something at great personal cost to himself because it was a moral good (exposing some big bank fraud)
    4. Was Recently released from prison and had very few prospects

Yeah, i can't see why Hank Pym would have chosen him as a replacement Ant-Man. Very few of those traits line up to what he was looking for. /sarcasm

Tech savvy super thieves are a dime a dozen in the marvel universe. This is the same universe where idiots ripping off ATMs can get their hands on alien energy weapons. They drove home the point through both movies that Scott's, "like, just this guys, you know?" If Hank had wanted any old tech savvy cat burglar, he'd have chosen someone who wasn't such a putz. Sure Scott's got a heart of gold but he's a real fuck-up too. We know Hank had been watching Scott for some time.

Looking at the Endgame trailer part with Scott. The screen shows what looks like the numbers 1983 next to the word Archive. That van he's driving is a 1972 Econoline which also fits with the date. I'll start spoiling my speculation from here as it gets more specific.
    Nick's pager message to CM somehow drops Scott into 1983. By meracious coincidence he finds the original van in the same parking garage and takes it with a key he already has.
    There's a shot where he driving off and the owner, Stan Lee says something wholesome like "oh geez not my van." Scott is getting super weirded out as he drives to Hank's mansion because he doesn't realize what year it is. I think Scott's line about Germany is a red herring and won't be in the final film. Anyway, at Hank's house Scott tries to get in. Some shenanigans ensue. Eventually young Hank and Scott part ways with Hank vowing to keep an eye on Scott in the future. Scott jumps into a portal containing clips from MCU history (maybe picking up some friends along the way) until he eventually reaches the 90s and runs into Captain Marvel, hot off the heels of her solo film. They team up and head into outer space to go Thanos hunting. While all this is going on in the past, we have the unsnapped Avengers trying to figure out who survived and who's still alive. The world has descended into anarchy. Steve and Nat hunt down and recruit Hawkeye. They tell him that they want to get the team back together so they can go kick Thano's ass, wherever he is. They eventually make their way to San Fan looking for Ant Man. That's where they run into the old recording from 1983 and all the different plot threads start to come together. This whole time you have Tony and whoever else survived on Titan looking for a way to escape. They make it off the planet but a battle ensues. Tony ends up in a fighter and gets separated from the rest. Meanwhile back in the past the other avengers continue continue on their quest to punch Thanos. It's not going well so It turns into caper instead. They're going to sneak into Eitri's place where he made the infinity gauntlet and sabotage it somehow. This all goes sideways as Thanos shows up. Scott has to make the ultimate sacrifice to sabotage the glove. While all this is going on, the unsnapped avengers found Thanos and punched him. Somehow during all this, they realize there's some time travel buggery going on and this version of themselves will soon have never existed. Steve and Nat share one last kiss as they fondly remember that moment from Winter Soldier. Cut to the fight at Wakanda. Vision still gets his skull ripped open, but it's ok. We've got a backup. He's got a TV show coming up, after all. Everyone else who died before the snap is still dead. Thor comes in with the steel chair, Thanos delivers his line about going for the head than snaps. Nothing happens. Thor takes the axe out and lops thano's head off. The snapped avengers are dusted this time. The last scene is Captain Marvel showing up to rescue Tony and reunite him with Pepper. I think going to be too late, though. After all this is probably the last movie we'll see RDJ in. If she's too late, there will be a touching scene with Pepper watching the recording with the broken mask on her head. You'll see a single tear run down her cheek through the blasted out part of the mask. I think the post credit scene will set up Far From Home. That fight that seperated Peter and Tony will kick off that movie.

A thing you need to account for in your spoiler....
    We know Pepper winds up in the Rescue suit at some point.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Then dont come in until you see it? It's on Netflix right now?

Theres a new episode of The Good Place that aired last night and you wont see me in that thread until after I watch it tonight...

People could also be better about labeling spoilers. But it's mostly on you if you're in a 'current event' thread and haven't caught up on events in the last 6 months...

I was just joking, but just to play devil's advocate for spool - this thread has a bajillion unlabelled spoilers that are randomly embedded in other response threads. Many of those spoilers are just random speculation, or speculation based on other media (comics) which likely have a decent chance of being spoilers of a kind.

You can't actually participate in the conversation here without reading spoilers of some kind. Which is why I pretty much ignore the thread, per the suggestion.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Are we certain that's iron man's helmet he's recording the message into? Looks different to me. I honestly thought it was one of the Ultron heads at first.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Tony could have formed some helmet with his left over nanobots and the shards of the (two) helmets ripped off by Thanos.

He is able to have them maintain a shape when disconnected from his main body, as seen when Tony tossed that hand grip thing at Thanos to keep his hand open during that final fight with Tony.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Are we certain that's iron man's helmet he's recording the message into? Looks different to me. I honestly thought it was one of the Ultron heads at first.

It's the nano suit, yeah. It's just crushed, the outer layer is missing, showing off some of the internal stuff. I think it's from the 1v1 fight with Thanos in Infinity War. Dude rips a helmet off at one point, and Tony grows a new one rather than try to reabsorb it. Is the start of him loosing nano mass. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I don't want time travel simply because I don't want the conclusion to 12 years of this stuff to be a retread of events we've seen before. 'The Battle of New York, but with Ant-Man' doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I don't want time travel simply because I don't want the conclusion to 12 years of this stuff to be a retread of events we've seen before. 'The Battle of New York, but with Ant-Man' doesn't interest me in the slightest.

That's why I think at least in terms of run time it'll be a fairly minor part of the movie. There's a lot of new ground to cover.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Man, Hawkeye looks perfectly positioned for a potential Thunderbolts movie, especially when/if we have Deadpool back.

I'll be surprised if he survives the cast cut-down that's probably following this.

If any of the originals do TBH. A decade is a long time to play the same character.

Well, we know ScarJo does (since she has her own movie)

I thought the rumors were that it took place when Bucky was still brainwashed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Man, Hawkeye looks perfectly positioned for a potential Thunderbolts movie, especially when/if we have Deadpool back.

I'll be surprised if he survives the cast cut-down that's probably following this.

If any of the originals do TBH. A decade is a long time to play the same character.

Well, we know ScarJo does (since she has her own movie)

I thought the rumors were that it took place when Bucky was still brainwashed

We're talking mostly about the people playing the characters here not the plot. Like "they'll kill off Stark so they don't have to recast or handwave why he's not there"

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Right, my guess is Barton survives but this is his last movie.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Nah. I think that among the original 6, Hawkeye and Widow have the most room for character development, which makes them the best choices to keep around as regular members of the MCU, while the other 4 get cameos at most from here on.

But I've been wrong before! Quite often, actually.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Its not about what stories are left to tell, its how long you can keep selling tickets to the same characters and get the same actor.

Its a business decision, not an artistic one.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Its not about what stories are left to tell, its how long you can keep selling tickets to the same characters and get the same actor.

And one left very fuzzy year after year.

Evans said he was leading towards being done playing Captain America years ago, he wanted to direct, and I'm sure it's a fuckton of effort keeping up that physique. They managed to keep him around for quite a while past that, likely with money and good stories to tell. Sure, guys like RDJr who are not young men any more are probably leaning towards a situation that doesn't put demands on their body and schedule regularly, but at the same time, with enough money on the line, I wouldn't put many hard lines in the sand over that kind of meta theorizing.

For every actor who is *done*, there is another dump truck full of money to potentially change their mind for a film or three. There are lots of reasonably safe bets, but I wouldn't put real money down on them either.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Well Thor and Cap are getting better every movie and Iron Man isn't shabby

Not sure what's going on with the Hulk, but eeeehhhhhhh

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I think a lot of it comes down to actor commitments. Not everyone can be Hugh Jackman and play the role for 35 years.

Especially at the pace of the MCU.

I'd rather see the original team go out on a high note than at the end of a filling franchise due to contract breakdowns.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    it is a pretty clever idea by the writers for it to be Ant Man. He can be present for some events without actually being seen.

If they had that figured out by the first Avengers there could be some neat easter eggs.

...oh god dammit.

Does anyone remember right before Ant-Man came out the joke was that he'd been in all the movies, he was just shrunk?

That's gonna be canon now.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The actor has said he was interested in doing a Hawkeye tv show, and now there's Disney+.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dudes the van Ant Man shows up in is just the one they had the miniaturized quantum gate in at the end of Ant Man 2.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Where are people seeing "archive" on that video?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

upper-left corner has some text that might say 'archive'

edit: watching on youtube at 1080p it definitely says "Strat [...] ARCHIVE"

Tamin on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It definitely says archive. Rogers also asks
    Is this an old message?

I wager Scott tried the compound first with no luck because no one knew who he was.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Upper left, shows up during the first camera angle of the screen. The second one is more zoomed in.

tn4xaszow9zt.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

upper-left corner has some text that might say 'archive'

The internet is basically doing this over every little facet of that video:
    tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT WE ARE

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It also says 1983 next to the word Archive. That reminds me. I need to buy more push pins and red yarn.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    And the best part is, that's exactly the kind of thing that is trivial for Marvel to change before release. Like the early Infinity War trailers with The Hulk in Wakanda, not Banner in hulkbuster armor, or Thor's hammer being destroyed in a dark alley, not on a fjord.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    And the best part is, that's exactly the kind of thing that is trivial for Marvel to change before release. Like the early Infinity War trailers with The Hulk in Wakanda, not Banner in hulkbuster armor, or Thor's hammer being destroyed in a dark alley, not on a fjord.

That's the important thing to remember about...well, all of Marvel's trailers now, really.

They are not above lying through their goddamn teeth with any FX shot.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I really like the idea (even if it's just speculations) that after years of beefy superheroes punching problems through walls, it's Paul Rudd's goofy ass that will save the universe because he can be tiny

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I really like the idea (even if it's just speculations) that after years of beefy superheroes punching problems through walls, it's Paul Rudd's goofy ass that will save the universe because he can be tiny

The wisecracking against Thanos should be glorious. As an aside, I thought it was odd that the one who got the most dialogue with Thanos in A3 was Strange, not Stark. Stark barely talks with him at all.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Not going to read the thread again until I've seen this movie, because I don't even want to know what was in the trailer.

Just want to say a) that title strikes me as super weak.. just... okay, I guess.

b) I am so hyped for this movie

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The wisecracking against Thanos should be glorious. As an aside, I thought it was odd that the one who got the most dialogue with Thanos in A3 was Strange, not Stark. Stark barely talks with him at all.

Stark taking things seriously doesn't talk shit, it's part of how they play him. That's part of how you know it's p serious - the more hardcore it gets, the quieter and more focused he becomes.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    That's even more true, in the comics, of his protege. When the Spider stops wisecracking, all his rogues do a collective "oh shit." Because a fast, improbably agile, freakishly strong genius is about to beat them into a smear.

... or he's just got laryngitis. :)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Rocket is probably in Wakanda playing with their tech. He will reappear in a mech suit built from parts of Hulkbuster and Panther tech and Winter Soldiers gun
    arm.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Rocket is probably in Wakanda playing with their tech. He will reappear in a mech suit built from parts of Hulkbuster and Panther tech and Winter Soldiers gun
    arm.

A gun that fires winter soldier arms, duh

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    arm.

A gun that fires winter soldier arms, duh

A gun that fires arms, each arm holding its own gun that is also firing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Not specifically MCU, but into the spiderverse is at 78 reviews and 100% fresh right now, with the main through line being "this is probably the best spider-man movie".

This discussion has been closed.