As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I said it before as a goof but then decided I liked it; Avenge Us.

At the least, it'll be a cool tagline!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    In Infinity War, I liked how the Hulk crashed through the skylight like the Silver Surfer did in Infinity Gauntlet.

I knew that framing looked familiar, I should really do a re-read of IG soon, it's been like a decade.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but every movie he's in, his performances (to me at least) get worse, and I can't exactly put my finger on why.

I think it's more writing than anything. Avengers 1 and 2 had pretty obvious roles to be playing. Thor 3 had him playing a guy coming out of a 2 year coma on an alien planet - very confused and not super lucid.

IW:
    adds impotence and fear to that because he lost for the first time, convincingly.

They're just... Not as interesting?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but every movie he's in, his performances (to me at least) get worse, and I can't exactly put my finger on why.

I think it's more writing than anything. Avengers 1 and 2 had pretty obvious roles to be playing. Thor 3 had him playing a guy coming out of a 2 year coma on an alien planet - very confused and not super lucid.

IW:
    adds impotence and fear to that because he lost for the first time, convincingly.

That may be it, yeah

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Since they have a knack for taking terrible event titles and turning them into something good in the movies, I wonder if A4 will be

Avengers:Heroes Reborn

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Since they have a knack for taking terrible event titles and turning them into something good in the movies, I wonder if A4 will be

Avengers:Heroes Reborn

The recasting is:
    Tom Cruise = Tony Stark
    Emily Blunt = Black Widow
    Jason Statham = Rocket Raccoon
    Henry Cavill = Captain America
    Pedro Pascal = Bruce Banner
    Tom Hardy = Hawkeye
    Amy Adams = Pepper Potts
    John David Washington = War Machine
    Jeffrey Wright = Nick Fury
    Teresa Palmer = Sharon Carter
    Lily James = Maria Hill
    Kelsey Grammar = Phil Coulson

with Dougray Scott guest starring as Wolverine

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Prince Oberyn should be in a more physical and suave role. His confident doucheiness would make a fine Tony Stark.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Why does Stark have such an old ass flip phone?

because steve gave it to him at the end of civil war? It was delivered by stan lee, when he called him Tony Stank.

It was a nice little jab at the futurist, in my opinion, and wholly intentional to give him such a POS phone that he knew he would have to keep.

Didn't Tony mutter something about that when he took it out? I swear I heard him mutter something about "flip-phone" as he opened it up.
    It's also a nice point that I like that they didn't focus on; they're on the outs, Cap's officially a war criminal or fugitive or something, but Tony's still carrying the 'in case of emergency, call Cap' phone everywhere with him, keeping it charged and presumably no trying to use it to trace his location or anything.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They should just call it, and stay with me here: Infinity War 2.

It's pure marketing BS they backpedaled on it being part 2. It's part 2!!!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    IMO they were right not to make it Infinity War 1 and Infinity War 2. Infinity War doesn't feel like it ends on a cliffhanger; it ends on a defeat. It tells a story with a beginning, middle and end. Sure, the next film will pick up where this one left off, but structurally IW is more complete in itself than The Empire Strikes Back was - and they didn't need to call the third movie The Empire Strikes Back 2.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

IW:

Maybe the writing didn't give him as much to work with but his line delivery has been just so bad in the last two movies that this can't be the only reason. He just sounds like he's been blazing it in his winny and is reading the lines from a teleprompter for the first time.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

because steve gave it to him at the end of civil war? It was delivered by stan lee, when he called him Tony Stank.

It was a nice little jab at the futurist, in my opinion, and wholly intentional to give him such a POS phone that he knew he would have to keep.

I did not remember that happening!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Didn't Tony mutter something about that when he took it out? I swear I heard him mutter something about "flip-phone" as he opened it up.
    It's also a nice point that I like that they didn't focus on; they're on the outs, Cap's officially a war criminal or fugitive or something, but Tony's still carrying the 'in case of emergency, call Cap' phone everywhere with him, keeping it charged and presumably no trying to use it to trace his location or anything.

Stark pulling out the flip phone that he got at the end of Civil War is a great visual, but makes zero sense as far as how phone contact lists work. I'm also just going to assume that the number on the phone is for a Wakandan switchboard that forwards the call on to some sort of bleeding edge tech that doesn't need charging.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Stark pulling out the flip phone that he got at the end of Civil War is a great visual, but makes zero sense as far as how phone contact lists work. I'm also just going to assume that the number on the phone is for a Wakandan switchboard that forwards the call on to some sort of bleeding edge tech that doesn't need charging.

I'd bet it was set up by Widow and goes to an ancient answer machine in a run down hotel in eastern Europe that is checked at 2358 every day by someone who then calls another number if there's a message. Old School probably works better these days.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Didn't someone let it slip a while ago that part two would be called Infinity Gauntlet? Could've changed since then, but that would make sense, since they're probably going to be searching for it or the means to make a new one.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Didn't someone let it slip a while ago that part two would be called Infinity Gauntlet?
    The dialogue will consist of an endless loop of "Elf shot the food!"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It only just now occurred to me, but Tony didn't have to head home or to the avengers compound to retrieve the Cap phone. This kind of implies that he always has the phone on him. Then Cap refers to Tony as "Earth's best defender" when he's talking to Ross.

Like dangit, yall should've made up a long time ago, you dummies! Can't wait to see that reconciliation in the next movie. Also Cap getting that shield back.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It only just now occurred to me, but Tony didn't have to head home or to the avengers compound to retrieve the Cap phone. This kind of implies that he always has the phone on him. Then Cap refers to Tony as "Earth's best defender" when he's talking to Ross.

Like dangit, yall should've made up a long time ago, you dummies! Can't wait to see that reconciliation in the next movie. Also Cap getting that shield back.

yeah - it is super duper clear they both respect the hell out of each other, but that was a massive ideological rift.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Could they call A4 Infinite Crisis? Would that get DC's lawyers onto them?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2018
    I still thing Avengers: Endgame is a fantastic title and I hate that the russos said it was a placeholder / wrong.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Could they call A4 Infinite Crisis? Would that get DC's lawyers onto them?

Like a shot.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I thought he was talking about Thor or Vision =p

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I really liked the movie and I really appreciated how it just booked it from event to event. They figure that you already know these characters so just get to it.

So, is Pepper still extremis or what?

Now that you all explained to me that flip phone thing I love the idea of him always having it on his person.

Also, Captain Marvel is my favorite hero especially with the DeConnick run. I squeeled with joy when the graphic on the pager went off.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Some of this was a bit forced, but yeah, the whole point of IW was that everything was off, everything was a little wrong. A fragmented team, scattered and off-balance and literally worlds apart, Cap without his shield, Banner without the Hulk, Thor clearly reaching his psychological limit, Vision being stabbed and largely useless, uncertainty about what to sacrifice and what to stand for, etc.

Which strongly suggests the Time Stone solution,
    One Man Who Has One Chance to Go Back and Fix It (probably Tony), a dark scene from the previous film but this time Cap shows up with his shield, cue Avengers theme, finally "Avengers assemble," the whole gang fights Thanos and maybe the Order too, etc.

Which is cool because I want to see the Maw again, not getting chumped

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Doesn't Stark say they're going to cure her or something at the end of IM3?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

At the end of IM3, Tony does say he fixed Pepper, to me implying a cure. There has been some great speculation about how awesome it'd be for her to still have powers without the risk of explosions, but I doubt that was the takeaway we were supposed to have.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

He says he can 'fix' it.
    Whether that means
    1. Removing the extremis or,
    2. Fixing it so it still heals and lets her kick ass and look hot doing it, but without blowing up
    is left to the viewer/next writer who wants to use it.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

That was my impression, though I guess he could have just tweaked the extremis stuff so that there were no downsides to being juiced on it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

I am prepared to basically cry when Cap gets that shield back.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I kinda think Tony had the Cap phone on him at all times for very similar reasons to why he has the nanosuit on him. Like, maybe it's because of sentiment, and that'd be sweet, but it's more likely that it's because he's trying to be ready for this day to come.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Part of me thinks it'd be funny that Tony would probably need to plug it in to charge it every day or two.

Then I realized he'd probably just build a micro reactor that could run it for longer than he'll live.

(obvious 'In a cave. With a box of scraps' follow up here)

Yes I'm definitely thinking too hard about this, but in my head, that'd likely be the first thing he'd do. "Find one of those old charging cords? Fuck that. Friday, start procuring the following parts..."

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    What's the point of having a nanotech suit if you can't use it to build an ad hoc charger when your phone needs some juice? That phone was charging while it was in his pocket.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    What's the point of having a nanotech suit if you can't use it to build an ad hoc charger when your phone needs some juice? That phone was charging while it was in his pocket.

Also, it's a flip phone, so it already has "work like 90 days without needing to he charged" technology. Flip phones were awesome at like, actually being phones.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Yeah, flip phones were great for only needing to be charged once a month, especially if you barely used them.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    And if he's keeping it around 'just in case the world is about to end', he probably isn't risking it running low by leaving it alone for weeks or months at a time. If it's essentially part of his 'break open in case of world ending threat' survival package, it's probably constantly charged, and we know it's not powered down, because it's active the moment he flips it out.

Heh, I had a few phones from that era (late 90's/early 00's that is). The first couple were pretty solid. Then they started adding the ability to listen to the radio or even load music onto them, at which point it became a matter of charging them every day or two anyways, at least personally.

Forar on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    The title war between this thread and the DC one continues.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MCDCU: Uncivil War

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

That was my impression, though I guess he could have just tweaked the extremis stuff so that there were no downsides to being juiced on it.

Another point in favour of him just removing the extremis from Pepper is that if he'd cracked a version of it that gave the miracle healing and not the premature explosions, not offering to the world in general or his friend with spinal damage in particular would be an especially dick move.

(Though once this is all over Rhodey needs to look up that newly available Wakandan medical tech. They fixed one guy with spinal damage already)

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    And if he's keeping it around 'just in case the world is about to end', he probably isn't risking it running low by leaving it alone for weeks or months at a time. If it's essentially part of his 'break open in case of world ending threat' survival package, it's probably constantly charged, and we know it's not powered down, because it's active the moment he flips it out.

Heh, I had a few phones from that era (late 90's/early 00's that is). The first couple were pretty solid. Then they started adding the ability to listen to the radio or even load music onto them, at which point it became a matter of charging them every day or two anyways, at least personally.

I remember this being one of the things people were complaining about when smartphones first came out. "I need to charge it all the time? But what if I need to make a call and it's an emergency!" Then we all realized that we don't talk on our phones all the time anyway and that plugging it into the charger before you go to bed isn't a big deal.

Plus we've added chargers literally fucking everywhere.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I remember this being one of the things people were complaining about when smartphones first came out. "I need to charge it all the time? But what if I need to make a call and it's an emergency!" Then we all realized that we don't talk on our phones all the time anyway and that plugging it into the charger before you go to bed isn't a big deal.

Plus we've added chargers literally fucking everywhere.

Actually, people did used to talk on their phones ALL the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aVPqpnL7Y

Classic comedy skits from like 2000 making fun of the fact that people were always on their damn phones chatting loudly away with their ringtones etc. People were always on their phones when I was in college, texting too, but loads of time spent chatting away. Number of minutes you had was a big deal.

"I never talk on my phone..." is a phenomena which came along with smart phones which had like 30 minutes battery life if you used them. People used to use their cellphones as actual phones all the time.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.