As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The International 2019

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    yeah its hard to keep track of what everyone else is picking but I think thats pretty much the only way to victory: to build your deck while hamstringing other people by buying up their "cards"

I recently encountered a gross deck filled with assassins and level 3 faire dragon + Viper. The burst damage was dumb as heck

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    uNi5682h.png
    this was one of the weirdest matches I've won, with little to no synergy. I managed to get a super early start with level 2 ogre mage > level 2 enchantress / furion > PA / TA
    Then I started to fish for tankier characters like dragon knight and a treant for the eventual lone druid. I think I definitely lucked out on eventually completing lvl 3 PA / Shadowfiend

Ended the game with T1 Tidehunter / T2 Dragon Knight / T2 Antimage / T2 Enchantress / T2 Ogre Mage / T2 TA / T2 Lich / T3 Lone Druid /T3 PA / T3 Shadowfiend

I think the snowball effect is likely too strong in this game. If you have a good early start, its easy to get a lead into upgrading your hero and increasing the chance of upgrading higher tier units. T2 upgrade of units is usually good enough. Trying to fish for all your pieces for T3 upgrade is very improbable. I think this is the same for racial bonuses, except for druids

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular

Excited for the patch even though I know its gonna nerf Sven who's a very fun offlaner. As for Mars I'm assuming he's a strength hero so I'm hoping he'll be offlane initiator type though I kind of doubt it since that's what Pango is supposed to be (would also be nice if the patch finally makes Pango good but I'm not holding my breath).

• Options
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Both LD and NP buffs? Why ty Icefrog.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Don't like the changes to phase and treads. The attack speed and armor was so good on so many offlaners like cent, tiny, sven, doom and underlord.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    biiigggg nerf to vlads

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Overall probably not a huge patch? Bunch of small buffs to underplayed heroes, medium nerfs to overplayed ones.

Buildings with more armor, so push strats a little slower.

And a wisp/Io rework. That could be big when she's back in captains mode.

VishNub on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    They reworked everyone's stats again, which is pretty big.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    They reworked everyone's stats again, which is pretty big.

I guess that could be big?? Those are always the hardest ones to read/predict.

• Options
    Sneaky Saturday night patch. Mostly changes to the meta like midas, lifestealer, and ursa.

• Options
    Another Saturday night patch. Mostly small nerfs but will hopefully end Vipers reign of terror.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Ah...I like seeing that healing ward speed reduced.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Huh, they removed the self-slow from storm's vortex, and not that long ago they removed the vulnerability from slardar's sprint. What abilities still have disadvantages built in to them? Seems like they're trying to weed those out.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Looks cool. I like Spartans.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Reverse Bristleback?
    Oh they also remodeled Drow.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    Tested Mars out a bit and he definitely seems like a tanky offlaner just like I wanted but we'll probably have at least a week of people playing him as a hard carry or something. His w counts as a normal attack for bashes and attack modifiers so you could potentially do stuff like hit the entire enemy team at once with desolater. Mars and his team can just walk out of his ult and it keeps going. His spear has a lot of knockback so expect new players to accidentally save enemies for a little bit but it also has good stun, 2.7 seconds when maxed with a talent to increase it to 4.3 at level 20.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Tested Mars out a bit and he definitely seems like a tanky offlaner just like I wanted but we'll probably have at least a week of people playing him as a hard carry or something. His w counts as a normal attack for bashes and attack modifiers so you could potentially do stuff like hit the entire enemy team at once with desolater. Mars and his team can just walk out of his ult and it keeps going. His spear has a lot of knockback so expect new players to accidentally save enemies for a little bit but it also has good stun, 2.7 seconds when maxed with a talent to increase it to 4.3 at level 20.

I imagine that stun will be nerfed. Yeah, it's a skillshot, but hot damn 4.3 second disable...

• Options
    edited March 2019
    His ult is also not a physical barrier like cogs or fissure, spell immune heroes can just walk out though you cannot force staff out of it. Movement abilities like pounce and burrowstrike can also be used to escape.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Jakorian wrote: »

I imagine that stun will be nerfed. Yeah, it's a skillshot, but hot damn 4.3 second disable...

Dude's whole kit seems really strong, he feels pretty broken just from watching the skill vids. That AOE shield bash looks dirty.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I haven't been able to play Mars in a real match because he's always banned but I have been playing a lot of Pango lately. Now that the meta has shifted his way he's extremely fun and useful especially since he can actually lane against tough carries like Jugg or Ursa.

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    anyone watching DreamLeague?

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I watched what I could, give the timezones. Liquid looked so sad, but EG-VP was the matchup of the tournament so far. If only they could give Sumail something different than Viper. I get that it's in the meta, but it's not a hero for him

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Eventvods.com is your friend!

• Options
    edited March 2019
    New Patch. Less nerfs than I expected, seems like a lot of buffs to underplayed heroes. Also they finally changed the dire safelane pull.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So the Battlepass is out. I have a a moral dilemma. Do I do what I always do and drop $100 into the pass to support the game, or do I withold my cash this year on the grounds that China's government tend to how shall I put it nicely.....be jerks in everything they do?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    übergeek wrote: »
    So the Battlepass is out. I have a a moral dilemma. Do I do what I always do and drop $100 into the pass to support the game, or do I withold my cash this year on the grounds that China's government tend to how shall I put it nicely.....be jerks in everything they do?

BP is going straight to Valve and the teams though is it not? I get the annoyance with Valve doing a Chinese TI, especially after what happened at the Shanghai Major, but I can't really blame any PC gaming company for catering to the Chinese market.

Also a lot of insanely cool shit in the battle pass honestly. Avoid a player list, high fives!! Bare Knuckle Boxer Axe, so much cool shit.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Dark_Side wrote: »

BP is going straight to Valve and the teams though is it not? I get the annoyance with Valve doing a Chinese TI, especially after what happened at the Shanghai Major, but I can't really blame any PC gaming company for catering to the Chinese market.

Also a lot of insanely cool shit in the battle pass honestly. Avoid a player list, high fives!! Bare Knuckle Boxer Axe, so much cool shit.

My other problem is I'd want to get up to the Arcana and that's quite bit more than I wanted to pay. After comparing my purchases since 2016 with battle level bundles and such, they make each battlepass just a little more inefficient enough for people to not notice, and spread out the good stuff further apart. Depends on how many points the campaign will give per day.

EDIT Update, I just saw that they took out using dupes to give you 2 levels. Unless that goes back in, I'd have to spend even more than I usually do. For now it looks like I'm passing this year and just making cash on my dupes from last year in September.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

My other problem is I'd want to get up to the Arcana and that's quite bit more than I wanted to pay. After comparing my purchases since 2016 with battle level bundles and such, they make each battlepass just a little more inefficient enough for people to not notice, and spread out the good stuff further apart. Depends on how many points the campaign will give per day.

EDIT Update, I just saw that they took out using dupes to give you 2 levels. Unless that goes back in, I'd have to spend even more than I usually do. For now it looks like I'm passing this year and just making cash on my dupes from last year in September.

Yeah I'm not actually complaining about the Battle Pass because DotA is an awesome free game and they gotta make the money and pay the players somehow. I'm just sad that the first thing I even want turns up at level 135 or something. :(

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Guess it's time for a new thread title!

Good thing I left a note, last year I got in late. Even as a Super Hyper Tournament Edition tier Casual, I really enjoy the little odds and ends they do, the lead up to the big event, and then hosting a finale viewing party at my place.

Damn, all it takes is flipping through that list and already the hype is building. If nothing else, it's nice to kick off the dust, get a game or two in here and there, and show off some of the cosmetics I've picked up over previous years (bought, accrued through other Battlepasses, or been gifted by generous folks here).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Ah shiiiit. Not only will we presumably have to contend with shifted hours that this is happening (yes I get that this is a selfishly north american view of things), but I'm working an event that Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun.

So I'll probably miss the live games I could see even if I could make the scheduling work, but I also probably won't be able to host my usual finale viewing event. Can always run it the following weekend or something, but in order to keep up with the fantasy league and whatnot, I'll have to be subject to spoilers all the same.

:-/

Well, crap.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Forar wrote: »
    Ah shiiiit. Not only will we presumably have to contend with shifted hours that this is happening (yes I get that this is a selfishly north american view of things), but I'm working an event that Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun.

So I'll probably miss the live games I could see even if I could make the scheduling work, but I also probably won't be able to host my usual finale viewing event. Can always run it the following weekend or something, but in order to keep up with the fantasy league and whatnot, I'll have to be subject to spoilers all the same.

:-/

Well, crap.

Wait a second.

*checks timezones*

ohmigodohmigodOHMIGOD

TEE EYE IS ON MY TIMEZONE

The dream is real! WAHOOOOOOOO!

*ahem*

Sorry to hear that Forar. That sucks.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Damn, new Pudge feels so much better than old Pudge. Just changing MR to HP then did wonders...

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Edit: whoops.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    It's such an interesting experience getting back into this game after most of a year away. So many things have changed, big and small. I see things I don't recognize, heroes are changed, there's a metric fuckton of stuff to read up on. It's daunting, overwhelming even, but I dove in for 4 games (two victories!) to start my way on the Support path of the Jungle. There's no way I'll be pulling in hundreds of free levels if it's anything like last year, but actually getting some games in, I'm sort of aiming for that 160 new terrain at the minimum. Anything beyond that will be icing.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    It's such an interesting experience getting back into this game after most of a year away. So many things have changed, big and small. I see things I don't recognize, heroes are changed, there's a metric fuckton of stuff to read up on. It's daunting, overwhelming even, but I dove in for 4 games (two victories!) to start my way on the Support path of the Jungle. There's no way I'll be pulling in hundreds of free levels if it's anything like last year, but actually getting some games in, I'm sort of aiming for that 160 new terrain at the minimum. Anything beyond that will be icing.

Yeah I'm back to. It's daunting...

Like half the heroes feel like they have had some major play style reworks. I'm doing the same Jungle/support path.

I play a bunch of autochess as well so it's nice to rotate between a game of each.

Also, people are still dicks.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I haven't run into too many dicks yet, but the occasional baffling behaviour. Like, people mildly rage quitting the game (single negative comment in chat and abandoning) when... we're... winning.

I get that people aren't always rational. Maybe they got ganked and felt unsupported, maybe they were fed up with their lane, maybe it was too late to eek out another 10-20 minutes for it to be finished one way or another, but it's a Turbo game, we're ahead on kills and towers, and yet... suddenly we're down a player.

Gotta say, grabbing 2 disconnects and becoming my own roving squad of terror is fun. Still wish I'd managed to save the replay from the time I had 4 heroes under my control while a Riki conducted psychological warfare against the opposing team, but that was a comeback I'll always fondly remember.

I imagine it might be better to play normal games and save the Turbo ones for when I have a more solid grasp of things (and hoard the culling blades for the Jungle), but meh, making some progress was fun and as I barely moved from the start in last year's cavern, getting an early dent into it is nice too.

Forar on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I was filling in my calendar for June and thought to look up if there were any open qualifier type things going on for the International 2019 but it seems like there isn't. I can't really tell. I forgot they shifted things over to being based on other tournaments throughout the year.

So that said 8 teams are already invited; Team Secret, Virtus.pro, Evil Geniuses, Vici Gaming, PSG.LGD, Fnatic, Team Liquid, and "Ninjas in Pyjamas" (?). There's four more invite spots to be given out, and 6 qualifier spots but I see no schedule for this.

Prize pool started with a base 1.6 million dollars but is currently at12 million dollars from the 25% of Battle Passes thing. That's a lot of fan money goddamn.

Edit - Oh and uh, apparently the event is in Shanghai this year. Wow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was filling in my calendar for June and thought to look up if there were any open qualifier type things going on for the International 2019 but it seems like there isn't. I can't really tell. I forgot they shifted things over to being based on other tournaments throughout the year.

So that said 8 teams are already invited; Team Secret, Virtus.pro, Evil Geniuses, Vici Gaming, PSG.LGD, Fnatic, Team Liquid, and "Ninjas in Pyjamas" (?). There's four more invite spots to be given out, and 6 qualifier spots but I see no schedule for this.

Prize pool started with a base 1.6 million dollars but is currently at12 million dollars from the 25% of Battle Passes thing. That's a lot of fan money goddamn.

Edit - Oh and uh, apparently the event is in Shanghai this year. Wow.

I’m 95% sure they’re doing 12 spots based on DPC standings (ie this years results) and some qualifier slots, presumably including an open qualifier into a closed qualifier.

That’s just not scheduled yet.