Options

Of all the [movie] threads in all the forums in all the world, she walks into mine

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Yoooooooo this looks real good and also has Steven Yeun acting in Korean

https://youtu.be/MuehR3WuZ_E

it seemed everyone who saw this at TIFF thought it was incredible

Yeah, it played in the festival here a couple months back as well and got some serious word-of-mouth.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    88 minutes has been locked in as the perfect movie length for me for a long while, but I can't honestly say where it started

It's probably not related to the movie 88, but that movie was 88 minutes, which I did enjoy

This seems like a really restrictive and subjective opinion. Like, some stories are fine at 88 minutes, sure. Others benefit from being given room to breathe. I don't want a film to outstay it's welcome, but this seems like an arbitrary straightjacket that has little or no relation to whether or not that's the best amount of time for the story, pacing, and mood a film is evoking.

I mean, maybe you only like stories that can fit well into a small narrow band - that's fine. Like, you are clearly only speaking for you, and you do you. But fuck it, sometimes I'm in a mood for a sweeping epic. Or a tentpole blockbuster. Or something else that works well better in a longer format. And I'm fine with a movie being over when it's done. If that's more, or less, than 90-odd minutes, I'm fine with that. I hate a movie feeling rushed as much as I do feeling like they've been dragging it out, and I've genuinely felt both of those after movies.

I guess what I'm saying is, my own opinion on whether a movie felt 'too long' or 'too short' is much more about how the film works for me personally, and has only the loosest connection to running time.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Help me movie thread.

I am a baby who never watches horror movies and I married a lovely woman who loves horror movies. For our anniversary we're going to Universal Studios Orlando to ride fun rides all day. To be a good husband I bought us tickets to go to "Horror Nights" because I thought hey how bad could it be.

Turns out real bad and I'm gonna try to be drunk.

But since I don't like horror I've never watched any of the movies these haunted houses and "scare zones" (open areas you have to walk through that are themed and people just rush out of everywhere at you) are based on.
    4vf5.gif
    They're not allowed to touch you. They will however, get relatively close with a no-chain chainsaw. Those areas are clearly marked though and they tend to go after the ones not paying attention and such.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Help me movie thread.

I am a baby who never watches horror movies and I married a lovely woman who loves horror movies. For our anniversary we're going to Universal Studios Orlando to ride fun rides all day. To be a good husband I bought us tickets to go to "Horror Nights" because I thought hey how bad could it be.

Turns out real bad and I'm gonna try to be drunk.

But since I don't like horror I've never watched any of the movies these haunted houses and "scare zones" (open areas you have to walk through that are themed and people just rush out of everywhere at you) are based on.
    4vf5.gif
    They're not allowed to touch you. They will however, get relatively close with a no-chain chainsaw. Those areas are clearly marked though and they tend to go after the ones not paying attention and such.

This sounds like someone trying to lure someone to their doom!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't do haunted walks no matter how basic they are.

I have this weird phobia with people in masks. You could be wearing a Clifford The Big Red Dog costume and it will make me uncomfortable.

I like my horror in movie form.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think there's actually a dynamic at play where the more innocent the mask the more upsetting it is, Jason Voorhees sized dude in a old fashioned goalie mask ain't great but Jason Voorhees sized dude in a Clifford the Big Red Dog mask means you'll die screaming

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    See: clowns

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would love a slasher with Clifford The Big Red Dog

• Options
    A killer who realizes he needs to cover his face in a hurry and all he can find nearby is a Mr. Bucket so he wears it on his head for the whole movie.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I love that Jason in 2 and 3 is like shopping for a mask he likes. Then some doofus goofball kid wears the hockey mask and he's like, yes, that's it. That would look so good on me.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Clifford but he eats people. Emily Elizabeth must kill to satisfy his fell desires.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Halloween 6 is a a fucking mistake, man. I watched the producer's cut last night and Christ, what garbage.

That being said, first official role for Paul Rudd who plays with runes and mispronounces "Samhain."

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I saw the predator movie.

It is very tonally messy but fell into classic sequelitis of

Needing a bigger bad ass than the previous movies.

Why do we need a bigger predator? The entire movie could have been told with only one regular predator.

That, and how do bullets work with the predator? Do bullets just not work on them until they do?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Blake T wrote: »
    I saw the predator movie.

It is very tonally messy but fell into classic sequelitis of

Needing a bigger bad ass than the previous movies.

Why do we need a bigger predator? The entire movie could have been told with only one regular predator.

That, and how do bullets work with the predator? Do bullets just not work on them until they do?

They mention smething about reactive armour and you can see some kind of personal shielding visual effecf on the big predator that gets overwhelmed and fizzles out in the end. Tho the fact that I know this probably means I paid more attention to the movie than the people who made it

It's also still dumb. Pretty much all the lore they added was terrible and made no sense.

Prohass on
  • Options
    I believe standard Predator lore indicates Predators are not particularly bullet resistant but very good at not getting hit by bullets

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    A killer who realizes he needs to cover his face in a hurry and all he can find nearby is a Mr. Bucket so he wears it on his head for the whole movie.

"I'm Mr. Bucket

BLOOD SPURTS OUT OF MY MOUTH."

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Clifford but he eats people. Emily Elizabeth must kill to satisfy his fell desires.

BLOOD MAKES LITTLE THINGS GROW

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'm imagining a scene where the victims converge after being split up because of course, but one of them is missing, so they go looking

and they hear a strange sound and get really scared, but then it's just the Mr. Bucket toy itself and it rolls up to them, and their friend's eyeball gets spit out, then they scream in horror and the killer IS BEHIND THEM OH NOOOO stab stab stab

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I'm imagining a scene where the victims converge after being split up because of course, but one of them is missing, so they go looking

and they hear a strange sound and get really scared, but then it's just the Mr. Bucket toy itself and it rolls up to them, and their friend's eyeball gets spit out, then they scream in horror and the killer IS BEHIND THEM OH NOOOO stab stab stab

Would you like to be my writing partner on this?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i will forever defend the plot of halloween 6 being kickstarted by paul rudd finding a baby in the trash

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    You'd be amazed how many babies you can find just lying around if you take the time to really look

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but it's weird every Paul Rudd movie since that has used the same gimmick.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Would you like to be my writing partner on this?

Sounds like buckets of fun

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Can Elefun the Elephant be in the sequel

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Here's a horror movie pitch for you: "Don't Wake Daddy"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    How much of Halloween's popularity as a franchise is due to its theme, do you think

Because let me tell you, for someone who doesn't watch horror movies, I've probably heard that theme hundreds of times

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    How much of Halloween's popularity as a franchise is due to its theme, do you think

Because let me tell you, for someone who doesn't watch horror movies, I've probably heard that theme hundreds of times

Its not 0

John Carpenter's music rules

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Hey the franchise struggled on for like fifteen movies workin with the theme and the mask and not much else, nobody can say it's not doin a lot of work

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Who's taking the football, Gosling or Ford?

going to be a Clue kinda deal, half the audiences get the Gosling cut.... the other half the Ford cut.
    noone will know until it gets to that point.

then in a few years time we get a supercut where they both get footballed.

I don't get this reference.
    sorry for the delay, timezones and workdays.

the theatrical release of the 1985 movie "Clue" had a gimmick in that it had 3 different endings with different killers, which theater you saw it in would change which ending to the movie you got.
    when they ported it over to home video they merged all 3 into one ending.

I'm aware of the Clue gimmick, I'm not sure what you're talking about "footballing"

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Its not 0

Listening to his Escape from New York soundtrack while creating a cyberpunk world is a transcendental experience

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2018
    Who's taking the football, Gosling or Ford?

going to be a Clue kinda deal, half the audiences get the Gosling cut.... the other half the Ford cut.
    noone will know until it gets to that point.

then in a few years time we get a supercut where they both get footballed.

I don't get this reference.
    sorry for the delay, timezones and workdays.

the theatrical release of the 1985 movie "Clue" had a gimmick in that it had 3 different endings with different killers, which theater you saw it in would change which ending to the movie you got.
    when they ported it over to home video they merged all 3 into one ending.

I'm aware of the Clue gimmick, I'm not sure what you're talking about "footballing"

substituting "football" for "murder" because football is to whatever movie this is as murder is to Clue

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Footballing should be the verb for someone getting hit by a football

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Footballing is when you hold a football for someone to kick but you take it away at the last second.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    ah, my groin

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    AJ presents: Man Getting Hit by Football

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Little pet shop of horrors

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

Its not 0

The Lost Themes albums are primo comic drawing music I’ll tell you what

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.