As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I think I might be at the point where I I'm going to mod the game to do something about decorations.

I'm 180 hours in and still only have the one attack gem they give you and none of the hard to get ones across maybe fifty tempered elder dragons.

Otherwise I think I'll probably end up stopping playing.

Does the melding look ahead trick still work?

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    I think I might be at the point where I I'm going to mod the game to do something about decorations.

I'm 180 hours in and still only have the one attack gem they give you and none of the hard to get ones across maybe fifty tempered elder dragons.

I'm not sure.

Did some digging and there are basically two mods for it, one lets you meld all the last two tiers through the cauldron, costs 600 points worth of decorations and 6k research points.

The other tweaks the drop rates of gems that can be stacked multiple times so you're less likely to see low rarity ones like poison resist or botany and more likely to see high rarity ones. Then a slight buff to drop rates of all the singleton gems at various rarities.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Finally got my lance stream stone the other day! Have had 2 more drop yesterday. After going so fucking long waiting for the drop that I wanted, I'm now holding an extra 2. Oh well. They'll get used I'm sure.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I somehow managed to get like three earplugs gems last night. I had decent rate getting the higher level gems last night but I kind of never see any gems beyond the common stuff

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I'm not sure.

Did some digging and there are basically two mods for it, one lets you meld all the last two tiers through the cauldron, costs 600 points worth of decorations and 6k research points.

The other tweaks the drop rates of gems that can be stacked multiple times so you're less likely to see low rarity ones like poison resist or botany and more likely to see high rarity ones. Then a slight buff to drop rates of all the singleton gems at various rarities.

I use the drop rate mod, its great

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    I somehow managed to get like three earplugs gems last night. I had decent rate getting the higher level gems last night but I kind of never see any gems beyond the common stuff
    earplugs and flinch free are actually your commons in the tier 3 pool.

• Options
    Question.

Is Daora LBG the best non-KT LBG available for phase 4? I have no better option atm, so I'm sticking with LBG Styx in phase 4, but I know I could be doing something better with my time there. I looked through all the rapid fire freeze and I think Daora was the only one to stick out.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Question.

Is Daora LBG the best non-KT LBG available for phase 4? I have no better option atm, so I'm sticking with LBG Styx in phase 4, but I know I could be doing something better with my time there. I looked through all the rapid fire freeze and I think Daora was the only one to stick out.

luna blaze

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Yeah, Ok, I must have missed that one. Ugh, more Luna farming for bits :D

thx

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Does anyone still need AT Vaal?

I need to get that set farmed up.

Edit: I have to say, checking other people's builds to see if I'm on track with what I'm using and every recommended build already includes pieces of the set you're trying to farm in somewhat aggravating.

Kelor on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Now that I'm done with Smash U's Adventure mode I'm going to be getting back on the hunting horse. Anyone up for Gen U at some point today?

• Options
    picked up three taroth pipe sleeps, two taroth hammer sleeps, and two taroth axe waters farming AT kulve. each group dropped all at the same time.

at least i finally got one of my goddamned switch axes

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wait, Taroth Hammer Sleeps are that easy to g-

No. No I will wait for Iceborne and the equivalent to G rank, I will minimize my exposure to that RNG business, I will

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    i got another one lol

finally got the lightning lance just in time for it to be probably outclassed by a kjaar variant

AT kulve rewards are much, much better

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I cant seem to get decent Kirin investigations, I do a bunch of stuff before going to sniff monster farts and yet I dont seem to get that good investigations, mainly double silver which isnt that great, at least not for trying to get crowns, I'm aiming for gold at least.

Kirin's area doesnt seem good for getting points before trying to get investigations unless I'm missing something in the area? Kinda put off that I have to keep farming investigations instead of just being able to find a large Crown size without all this hassle.

Still only him and Nergigante left.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    So this was the secret one day New Years quest, if you missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igZWobDrr1g
    Elendil wrote: »
    i got another one lol

finally got the lightning lance just in time for it to be probably outclassed by a kjaar variant

nice. I finally ran a little more AT Katie yesterday and RNG hated me. it kept giving me the exact same drops over and over again, didn't even get a single new kjaar either.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Did they confirm g rank in the ice expansion? I only found a little about new zone and some returning monsters.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Did they confirm g rank in the ice expansion? I only found a little about new zone and some returning monsters.

Yes, they said it would be the equivalent of a Ultimate/G-Rank expansion

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I've been playing MHGU a ton these days again, and I'm still barely getting into G Rank stuff, this game is just huge.

The only thing that really saddens me is that there are always less than 20 rooms of people playing online, I guess I can thank Nintendo for that one.

Been trying to play in rooms that say "turns" but lo and behold, the host leaves as soon as we kill his G-Rank Shagaru.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am going to get back into playing MHGU soon.

There will be a lot of running back through grank as I am reimporting my character.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I've been playing MHGU a ton these days again, and I'm still barely getting into G Rank stuff, this game is just huge.

The only thing that really saddens me is that there are always less than 20 rooms of people playing online, I guess I can thank Nintendo for that one.

Been trying to play in rooms that say "turns" but lo and behold, the host leaves as soon as we kill his G-Rank Shagaru.

Been eyeing a switch recently, so may pull the trigger and be playing MHGU soon as well, until then Ill keep plugging away on MHG. Ill concur on your statement.. I am still in low rank and it is overwhelming how much stuff there is to do in this game....

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    GU even added new stuff to High Rank, it's a reason why I've been a bit slow into getting fully into G rank. It's definitely a challenge jumping from High to G, but so much fun.

My 3DS main was a bow, I had forgotten the awesome set I was using, which has Normal Up, Focus, Rationer, Peak Performance and Mushroomancer which is the real star here, getting 10 max potions and 10 dash juices from easy to get mushrooms is great for this build. After killing that G-Rank Shagaru, I saw that the set is even better, so he might be my farming target next. Just need to get a decent group, I find him a bit easy since I've memorized him completely in the lower ranks.

Oh and for GU I think a huge improvement was the story, at least the whole Soaratorium part has kept me much more engaged than the vanilla story.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    GU even added new stuff to High Rank, it's a reason why I've been a bit slow into getting fully into G rank. It's definitely a challenge jumping from High to G, but so much fun.

My 3DS main was a bow, I had forgotten the awesome set I was using, which has Normal Up, Focus, Rationer, Peak Performance and Mushroomancer which is the real star here, getting 10 max potions and 10 dash juices from easy to get mushrooms is great for this build. After killing that G-Rank Shagaru, I saw that the set is even better, so he might be my farming target next. Just need to get a decent group, I find him a bit easy since I've memorized him completely in the lower ranks.

Oh and for GU I think a huge improvement was the story, at least the whole Soaratorium part has kept me much more engaged than the vanilla story.

I havent tried bow or any of the ranged weapons yet in Generations.. I have the circle pad pro XL coming from Amazon so that will likely help. Too use to MHW and using the second analog to control camera, doing that on the 3DS is a pain or at least it feels completely alien.

Been using the aerial dodge Hunter Art or the Adept Art. Too useful even though some of the hunter skills are pretty nice. Went from Long Sword, using striker, to Gunlance, to Switch Axe using adept. Might go back to longsword but I am enjoying Switch Axe, have a hammer or two as well and an Insect Glaive but I kinda suck at firing off the bug atm so will shelve that until I get the Circle Pad Pro XL.

Love the palico stuff, would love to see this added to MHW.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Oh yeah, using the bow on the 3ds required some adjusting, I would actually move my thumb from the stick to the d-pad to manually aim. It's become easier on the Switch, though the camera controls switch when you're in aim mode (I like reverse controls for view, but normal for aiming) which makes it really weird for me.

Question for GU owners, is G-rank content only available in Hub quests?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, using the bow on the 3ds required some adjusting, I would actually move my thumb from the stick to the d-pad to manually aim. It's become easier on the Switch, though the camera controls switch when you're in aim mode (I like reverse controls for view, but normal for aiming) which makes it really weird for me.

Yes. Hopefully the last time.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Technically, yes. But there are some "advanced" village quests that are Grank both in difficulty (if not harder...) and loot. Just like some of the "advanced" quests in Gen are offline HR.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Gah, Capcom needs to make this game free to play without Nintendo online then :(

• Options
    Gah, Capcom needs to make this game free to play without Nintendo online then :(

Soloing hub quests isn't that bad this time around. At least until you hit the GR hypers...
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am going to get back into playing MHGU soon.

There will be a lot of running back through grank as I am reimporting my character.

Looking forward to it. I just hope you can actually re-import (has anyone done this?). I don't wanna have to drag you all the way up from HR1...

But I will if I have to, because this is imporant.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I used the save-transfer, it was pretty easy. It sets you back to HR8 but retains everything else, like armor/item sets, etc. You just have to do some new HR quests to unlock the Soaratorium, and then the GRank stuff to unlock your HR again.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Oh yeah. I just have to do it a second time.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I bounced hard off the Lunastra arena battle for awhile but finally drove her away last night. Being mainly a lancer it took me awhile to figure out avoiding standing in the blue flaming death spots she leaves all over the place. I understand that the out-in-the-world hunt for Lunastra and Teostra is less frustrating than the arena and I'm looking forward to that.

In other MHW news, my seven-year-old called me at work this morning to tell me he'd defeated Rathalos. Proud of him! Particularly as he has tried different weapons out and on his own has settled on the bow, which I don't know how to use at all.

• Options
    I bounced hard off the Lunastra arena battle for awhile but finally drove her away last night. Being mainly a lancer it took me awhile to figure out avoiding standing in the blue flaming death spots she leaves all over the place. I understand that the out-in-the-world hunt for Lunastra and Teostra is less frustrating than the arena and I'm looking forward to that.

In other MHW news, my seven-year-old called me at work this morning to tell me he'd defeated Rathalos. Proud of him! Particularly as he has tried different weapons out and on his own has settled on the bow, which I don't know how to use at all.

always have cool drink for lunastra, it helps with her fire poop on the ground. and a tip for the lunastra/teostra fight; if you get teostra solo, get him enraged and kite him far away from lunastra (like, take him over to where lavaisoth is) so they can't team up on you.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    When do I unlock GRank meownster hunters? I can't find that info online.

Edit: Oh, as soon as I reached G2 they unlocked.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Yeah that's one of like a dozen messages that pops up when you hit that rank. IIRC you can meld more talismans too.

Right, I'm just wondering if it will let you do it a second time. Not sure if anything gets flagged or whatnot when you do it the first time.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Yeah that's one of like a dozen messages that pops up when you hit that rank. IIRC you can meld more talismans too.

Right, I'm just wondering if it will let you do it a second time. Not sure if anything gets flagged or whatnot when you do it the first time.

We will see tonight. I plan to get on and see what happens.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

You can reimport. It will wipe all the existing save data on MHGU, is the only complication.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

You can reimport. It will wipe all the existing save data on MHGU, is the only complication.

Not an issue.

Good to know!

I'll reimport tonight.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    i got another one lol

nice. I finally ran a little more AT Katie yesterday and RNG hated me. it kept giving me the exact same drops over and over again, didn't even get a single new kjaar either.
    i got a couple of the kjarr weapons, though i hadn't realized there were quite so many until i updated my checklist last night. i probably got around eight of them.

the rath switch axe is actually really, really good

still need to run it some mote tonight to get the last two armor pieces in the set

hopefully i get my goddamned paralysis switch axe

Elendil on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    @Vyolynce 6pm. Join us.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited January 2019
      Have to cancel last minute.

Work is being stupid.