As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I've been trying to catch up on the various event quests/DLC stuff that I missed since I last played, this Witcher stuff is kinda weird, I don't know why they didn't just add a Witcher armour set like with all the other crossovers, but whatever!

Lunastra is an interesting fight, by which I mostly mean frustrating but pretty! I figure with Iceborne coming down the line there's probably not much point farming up end-game armous sets before the G-rank equivalent makes them redundant, but are any of these Lunastra weapons worth looking at (mainly using LS)?

Some of the best craftable ones for many.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the Behemoth fight being this hard if I didn't have to complete it to get this awful hub music to go away.

I'm glad to help out, either on PC or PS4.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I appreciate it, but I'm on Xbone.

• Options
    Oh god, I looked it up and I'm not even getting halfway through the fight.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Are you trying solo? That's almost impossible without some cheesing.

If you're doing a group, it might be better if you run as a dedicated healer/support to keep randos alive. Unless they keep dying to the ecliptic meteor...

Edit: Ok it can be done without cheesing, but you have to be exceedingly good like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAXU3Vvx-k

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I've been using the SOS flare and waiting for people to show up. We just keep eating shit. I get the impression you're supposed to be more coordinated than a bunch of silent randos, sorta raid-like, but silent randos are all I have to work with.
    How would I do dedicated healing? I have a hunting horn that can heal, and I tried it with that the first few times, but that didn't seem like it could heal quick enough to be safe and reliable without someone grabbing aggro, which wasn't happening.

cB557 on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I've been using the SOS flare and waiting for people to show up. We just keep eating shit. I get the impression you're supposed to be more coordinated than a bunch of silent randos, sorta raid-like, but silent randos are all I have to work with.

Yeah that's pretty much what made me stop playing. All the new content was practically impossible to do with random groups.

Deans on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it's definitely doable to run it with randos but it's a slot machine trying to get randos who can do it without fucking it up (and even if you know what you're doing, shit can happen)

maybe try poking around discords of streamers or something?

• Options
    How would I do dedicated healing? I have a hunting horn that can heal, and I tried it with that the first few times, but that didn't seem like it could heal quick enough to be safe and reliable without someone grabbing aggro, which wasn't happening.

A healer ideally has:

Sword & Shield (Quick sheathing and can use items unsheathed)
    Wide-range
    Mushroomancer
    Speed Eating
    Free Meal

And then some defensive skills like divine protection, health up, recovery speed up and so.

It's best to try filter search for rooms where they're playing against the monster, you'll more likely get people who know what they're doing, instead of the random SOS.

• Options
    There's no more increases of the power cap once you're past the credits, right? This isn't a case of there just being bigger numbers that I don't have access to yet that I'm expected to be using for this?

• Options
    what's your gear look like

if you haven't beaten the "last boss" you probably aren't ready, a lot of the highest tier weapons are gated after it. there's also armor augmentation, if you haven't unlocked it yet.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Last boss being Xeno'jiiva? I have beaten that. Not familiar with armor augmentation, though.

cB557 on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Last boss being Xeno'jiiva? I have beaten that. Not familiar with armor augmentation, though.

Technically, there's also Lunastra and Kulve Taroth still in your future.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Technically, there's also Lunastra and Kulve Taroth still in your future.
    Are those a hard increase in how big my numbers are, or more options?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Not familiar with armor augmentation, though.
    tl;dr armor augmentation is to go beyond max upgrade level on it. IIRC unlocking the ability to do it requires getting one of the weapon augment streamstones to drop, which can take a while.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I bought the game on sale on a complete whim. I was always fascinated by the series, it was jut for the longest time confined to systems with control schemes wholly unsuited to the game.

Little over a week later and I'm already in the high ranks. I should have gotten this game a lot fuckin' sooner, god damn. Honestly I'd probably be a lot further in the story, but I've actually been trying to do all the event quests I can. Finally I'm high enough to get the Mega Man armor set.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I bought the game on sale on a complete whim. I was always fascinated by the series, it was jut for the longest time confined to systems with control schemes wholly unsuited to the game.

Little over a week later and I'm already in the high ranks. I should have gotten this game a lot fuckin' sooner, god damn. Honestly I'd probably be a lot further in the story, but I've actually been trying to do all the event quests I can. Finally I'm high enough to get the Mega Man armor set.

one of us.. one of us...

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    yea Luna has some of the best craftable weapons other than Kulve.

Honestly I would just solo behemoth with a survival part breaker set and bring your palico with plunderblade. Its pretty easy to farm all the mats you need for the full armor set that way

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd say there is definitely an increase in the power cap, both from weapon augmentations and the gamma armor sets allowing you to have more skills. I'm pretty sure most arch-tempered monsters will one-shot you if you go directly to them after beating Xeno.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    So I got through Pandora's Arena by basically wearing the Gala Armor and essentially brute forcing my way through the fight with decos, solo.

Now to see if I can do the same thing with both Teostra and Lunastra to get the Temporal Mantle.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Played a ton of MHW on PC this weekend. Made a nice chunk of progress towards getting through the main story. I'm on the step to find tracks for the three elder dragons, and I discovered that you can bypass needing to find tracks if you just fight the elder dragon! I managed this by doing one of the event quests, Code Red, and it just gave me automatic completion for Teostra :D

I'm still locked out of the harder 9* event quests, but I was also able to run the one where you fight Odogaron, Deviljho, and Lunastra. Even came out of that one with a gem already, so that's pretty awesome this early on.

I'm really hoping I can get through the rest of the story and knock out any other events I haven't done yet so I can craft any of that limited time equipment. I really would like to grind out some Kulve, but that might be pushing it a bit.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Oh god, I looked it up and I'm not even getting halfway through the fight.
    I've never managed to take that brute down, either. Came close a couple of times, but then some poor bastard would get caught out by the meteor strike.

Shoot me an invite if you see me (Tanith 6227) on. At least two of us will have mics!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    I finally beat AT Nergigante this weekend, though on my PC save and with a Longsword. I have to honestly say that it really isn't a fun fight.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I can't even say how long I've spent wondering where I was missing the optional quests to get the red checkmark next to the 6* and 7*, I assumed I hadn't captured some monster or other and was missing one of the special arena quests. Turned out I just hadn't been to the research base in a while and had missed an NPC with a whole quest chain...
    Oh well, at least I can finally go and get those blue tickets for upgrades!

• Options
    Ah yes, I believe you get multiple alcohol rewards for the chef on that one.

• Options
    So far loving a lot of the icebourne updates I'm seeing.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Monster dung will be generated from a location between the monster's legs.
    they got my letters

Elendil on
  • Options
    I just want to say, even though the patch notes look like they took the nerf hammer to bow, lbg, clusters, and dual blades it sounds like the changes (outside of cluster nerf) were made with the intention of the increases in buffs to elemental across the board and the new skills to go with it that aren't in the patch notes. If you watch the developer video it goes into it much more.

TL;DW - elemental caps are increased for all weapons, they don't want raw to be meta, and new skills + buffs to existing skills are going to make elemental far more viable and maybe even optimal

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'll believe it when I see it. Elemental has gotten the short end of the stick in basically every MH ever.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it. Elemental has gotten the short end of the stick in basically every MH ever.

dual blades were already elemental meta in World, and they're adding a skill that increases element damage based on number of repeated hits against the monster.

sooooooo that should still wreck face

bow? bow was god damn broken with element, there's a reason it got nerfed

but yes everything else was raw or go home more or less, and without numbers who knows. we'll probably have to wait more or less until the PC release to get solid mechanical changes other than guesswork

• Options
    things like Bow and DB, also maybe IG got "nerfed" because they already get crazy amounts of elemental. If unchanged the new changes in elemental damage would be crazy OP so those weapons were re-tuned to accomadate

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Since 300 something odd hours on my ps4 save was apparently not enough, I've been doing a second play through on PC. I thought iceborne on ps4 was a no brainer, but I may hold off now for PC? Content delay aside, the moment to moment gameplay is just so much better on my pc with mouse and keyboard.

It feels like I am using an aimbot when playing as bow/lbg, nevermind the drastically reduced loadtimes. My PS4 Pro has that popular barracuda hybrid 2tb but it just cant compete with a modern pc with a nvme m2.

Also that diablo esque lightbeam mod is mana from heaven.

Havent started working on any of the optional quests yet but I made it to HR in about 11 hours played which isnt too bad.

• Options
    layered armor is going to be saved to your loadouts, hurray

• Options
    I already preordered iceborne on PS4, but I'm pretty sure I'll get it on PC as well.

I recently got an OLED HDR TV and it's simply stunning, I used reshader to take off the weird glow filter and increase sharpness and it just looks so much better than PS4, plus the 60fps.

Other absolutely fantastic mods are having all important NPCs in the gathering hub and improved deco drops.

• Options
    the one thing i need to do is sort out the radial menu, so i am not scrolling left and right while trying to dodge attacks. the F1 button popping up items is a decent menu but i would need to remap the hotkeys or use my naga mouse for it to be comfortable to use.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So it's confirmed that most regular sets of armour are going to have a layered version?

Because what's the point of hunting monsters if I don't look fashionable doing it?

• Options
    I definitely can't go back to PS4 after playing on the PC. I know that means I'll probably miss out on a lot of the grouping we used to do but instant loads!

• Options
    Okay, with some googling I learned that F1-F4 is hard bound and cant be remapped, so naga mouse it is. I need to do some remapping since I currently have aim on the thumb key on my black adder, think I can move that to middle mouse of the naga. Then F1-F4 and 1-8 isnt as bad since the items themselves will be in reach of my thumb.

• Options
    Been playing MH with a controller for too many years, so I plugged in my DS4 onto my PC. Pretty awesome that Steam now officially supports it.