As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I missed it. . .

Not sure why Fiji bounced so soon, but apparently they're doing server maintenance tonight. :\

We can try later.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I missed it. . .

Not sure why Fiji bounced so soon, but apparently they're doing server maintenance tonight. :\

We can try later.

Just exhausted from my 12 hour day :(

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Vyolynce wrote: »
      I missed it. . .

We can try later.

Just exhausted from my 12 hour day :(

Last night at 8 was the first free time I've had since Saturday.

Damn you Capcom.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      AT Zorah tonight

who wants to probably do something mediocre but who knows maybe it will be good????

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
      What do we want?

Medeocrity!

When do.we want it?

Eh, whenever.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
      Naphtali wrote: »
      AT Zorah tonight

who wants to probably do something mediocre but who knows maybe it will be good????
      am working

probably tomorrow for me

Elendil wrote: »
      AT Zorah tonight

am working

probably tomorrow for me

I'll probably be around tomorrow too, I'd imagine they'll make it tied to the weeklies

edited October 2018
      okay so AT Zorah. It's... really more like 'Tempered'. Not too bad, not really sure it's solo-able but here's the dealio.

Cores hit harder, probably want fire resist. The normal progression of killing the first three cores is pretty much the same. Nergi will not fly off, you have to actually fight him. It's just regular nergi, but a lot of HP. Dropping the stalactites will help but not the end of the world if you miss them.

Zorah will re-ignite one core on his back and his nose core during the wall phase, and will use the laser attack way more often but as long as everyone on the wall keeps an eye on the one-shot binders and uses them when he starts charging you can negate this. Pugged it with a friend and we settled into a groove of 3 people on the wall using cannons & bindering/one person jumping on to break cores and one person on the boat to use the cannons there. Recommend Heavy Artillery and maybe Pro Transporter. (Does Bombardier boost cannons? idk). It's a bit more intense and requires you to execute, probably how Zorah should have been but I can see how they left it tuned way lower since that was for people back in low rank.

Layered armor takes 3 tickets, armor requires 1 ticket per piece, but it seems like you either get 2 tickets per run or we both got really lucky and got two each time. Also a high chance of decos and streamstones.

Naphtali on
      edited October 2018
      man i do not know this fight very well at all, and i can tell it's going to be a pain in the dick

never hit the stalactites, never fight nergi, there's a core on his back you can get to in the wall phase dafuq?

oh boy

edit: bombadier is only bombs. felyne bombadier works for cannons.

Elendil on
      edited October 2018
      Oh yeah, one other thing we discovered from one of the pugs - Gunlance is outrageous on AT Zorah. You can stay and keep damaging Zorah via the cores even once they're broken. We had the gunlance person stay on the third core and keep pushing out damage while the rest of us repelled Nergi and it definitely helped with the clear time. I forgot to mention in the previous post, but the mission is 25 minutes and the timing is pretty tight. You don't get the dragonater up until around the 20~ minute mark. This is incorrect, it's a timer based on how soon you get on the wall as usual. Faster you are, the faster you can use dragonater & maybe get it up a second time.

Supposedly clusters, stickies, and wyvernfire also can damage Zorah while it's cores are broken.

The big take away for the fight is Nergi must be repelled, Zorah will stop moving when Nergi is on him now. The faster you can repel Nergi, the longer you have on the wall to shell with cannons. If your group is fast enough you should be able to get all of first 3 cores down before Nergi shows up.

Naphtali on
    • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      ...and World continues to sound like the least fun thing in this series. Impressive given MH2 and 4U's Wystones. It's going to be great when they take the QoL improvements and put them in a game that doesn't piss away any goodwill and attachment it fostered.

Capcom appears inexplicably unconcerned about this, perhaps projecting the loyalty of their devoted MH fans on a broader and much more whimsical audience. They can't spend money like they did making World again, and only bring in sales from pre-World games. Capcom would be finished.

IceBurner on
      3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
      PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
      Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
      IceBurner wrote: »
      ...and World continues to sound like the least fun thing in this series. Impressive given MH2 and 4U's Wystones. It's going to be great when they take the QoL improvements and put them in a game that doesn't piss away any goodwill and attachment it fostered.

Capcom appears inexplicably unconcerned about this, perhaps projecting the loyalty of their devoted MH fans on a broader and much more whimsical audience. They can't spend money like they did making World again, and only bring in sales from pre-World games. Capcom would be finished.

this is oddly hyperbole and i get that you dont enjoy world, but this endless negativity about it illsuits you

J3qcnBP.png
      This is one of those "I learned it from you, Dad!" moments.

All I read here is complaints about Arch-Tempered monsters and how annoying the end-game fights are. The hunting crew here couldn't have turned me off World any harder if you had intentionally tried.

This is reinforced by similar criticism on difficulty from everyone else I hunt with who also play World. They frequently cite the inability to find other players who wants to join most arch-tempered battles, and that most of their friend lists moved on from World upon reaching that point.

Capcom really did bet the company with the amount of money they spent on World, they could not afford it to underperform. It worked out, but the problem now that they're locked into the expensive development for any expansions ... and I really worry they've over-estimated player loyalty.

If they fuck this up, there's a real chance isn't going to be any more Monster Hunter ... or Mega Man, Resident Evil, etc. because there won't be any more Capcom.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
      Holy hyperbole, batman.

The community for the ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra late-late-lategame being small is not, in fact, ZE DEATH KNELL VON DAS KAPKOM

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      like, you admit in your post that World made Capcom loads of money and was profitable

failing to see the problem here

Monster Hunter was a niche game with a small, fanatical community (edit: in Western markets, it's fucking massive in Japan) before. Capcom made a bid for wider appeal, and it succeeded.

3cl1ps3 on
      IceBurner wrote: »
      This is one of those "I learned it from you, Dad!" moments.

All I read here is complaints about Arch-Tempered monsters and how annoying the end-game fights are. The hunting crew here couldn't have turned me off World any harder if you had intentionally tried.

This is reinforced by similar criticism on difficulty from everyone else I hunt with who also play World. They frequently cite the inability to find other players who wants to join most arch-tempered battles, and that most of their friend lists moved on from World upon reaching that point.

Capcom really did bet the company with the amount of money they spent on World, they could not afford it to underperform. It worked out, but the problem now that they're locked into the expensive development for any expansions ... and I really worry they've over-estimated player loyalty.

If they fuck this up, there's a real chance isn't going to be any more Monster Hunter ... or Mega Man, Resident Evil, etc. because there won't be any more Capcom.

bruh, MHW sold about 3x what most MH sell. they were blown away by its success

all the arch tempereds combined in World come no where close to how broken the new G Rank deviants (dont even talk about the EX verisons) are, but crying about GU hasnt happened yet (although i find them boring and I think @Entaru knows what im talking about)

J3qcnBP.png
      edited October 2018
      I guess I'm not explaining myself well.
      They drew in a huge audience.
      There's apparently lots of players to be found, except after a certain point, which is the whole end-game/post game.
      Are they not sticking around for that content because is it's turned them off the game? That's the impression I'm getting.

It's obvious Capcom's going to try and extend their not-cheap success.
      Will that huge audience be back after a sour final experience?

IceBurner on
      like 70% of GU players never hit g rank, but im sure capcom isnt sweating it and no one will say "oh man g rank is such a waste its too hard and too frustrating capcom gonna ruin all the new player love they made"

i put 500+ hours into world, and have been on a break from it since about aug. does that mean ill never play again? hell no; its the best version of MH and is easily my favorite. i personally dont even like G rank, but you goddamn know ill be right back in it the moment they announce another big monster/monsters/new zones etc. including paying for it

you seeing complaints about a 10 month old game from the die hard endgame people is not uncommon. most people dont play a single game for 9 months, and those that do love to complain on reddit/forums about how much they hate the new content for their 9 month old game

J3qcnBP.png
      edited October 2018
      World's big problem is simply, you can devour all the content there is and there just isn't much 'permanent' content coming out for it since Lunastra. Behemoth's problem is simply - you have to do it a few times and you have everything for the armor and weapon. I think it was too much resources spent on something for not much return, but YMMV there. Even Kulve is transitory because if that was permanent people would totally burn out on it. AT's are fine, but they're not meant to be permanent content. You do it a few times, get your tickets, make the armor and that's that. So naturally the SOS for them drop off because the hardest of hard core get it done and then don't do it anymore.

I hope they release more permanent monsters soon, but realistically I think we're in the waiting game for an expansion of some sort. GU honestly though... I don't feel much of a draw to play it. I can't explain why, maybe just because its so different and I prefer World's QoL.

Naphtali on
      World's big problem is simply, you can devour all the content there is and there just isn't much 'permanent' content coming out for it since Lunastra. Behemoth's problem is simply - you have to do it a few times and you have everything for the armor and weapon. I think it was too much resources spent on something for not much return, but YMMV there. Even Kulve is transitory because if that was permanent people would totally burn out on it. AT's are fine, but they're not meant to be permanent content. You do it a few times, get your tickets, make the armor and that' that. So naturally the SOS for them drop off because the hardest of hard core get it done and then don't do it anymore.

I hope they release more permanent monsters soon, but realistically I think we're in the waiting game for an expansion of some sort.

i agree, however its good to note that "all the content there is" is about 250 hours, plus endgame decor and streamstones grinding. Its not everyones cup of tea, but for about 80% of all gamers thats 10x the amount of content they expect

J3qcnBP.png
    • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
      fRAWRst wrote: »
      like 70% of GU players never hit g rank, but im sure capcom isnt sweating it and no one will say "oh man g rank is such a waste its too hard and too frustrating capcom gonna ruin all the new player love they made"

i put 500+ hours into world, and have been on a break from it since about aug. does that mean ill never play again? hell no; its the best version of MH and is easily my favorite. i personally dont even like G rank, but you goddamn know ill be right back in it the moment they announce another big monster/monsters/new zones etc. including paying for it

you seeing complaints about a 10 month old game from the die hard endgame people is not uncommon. most people dont play a single game for 9 months, and those that do love to complain on reddit/forums about how much they hate the new content for their 9 month old game

On top of this I think there's also the issue of there just being more lifestyle games around now. It has to compete against MMOs, MOBAs, Fortnite, PUBG, Destiny 2, Warframe, Overwatch, etc. for multiplayer time and now even single player games are doing additional post-release content to extend the life of a game, e.g. elusive targets in Hitman, the planned limited time merc hunts in AC: Odyssey etc. A lot of people aren't going to feel as much need to stick with one game long term.

Big Dookie wrote: »
      I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
      3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
      fRAWRst wrote: »
      World's big problem is simply, you can devour all the content there is and there just isn't much 'permanent' content coming out for it since Lunastra. Behemoth's problem is simply - you have to do it a few times and you have everything for the armor and weapon. I think it was too much resources spent on something for not much return, but YMMV there. Even Kulve is transitory because if that was permanent people would totally burn out on it. AT's are fine, but they're not meant to be permanent content. You do it a few times, get your tickets, make the armor and that' that. So naturally the SOS for them drop off because the hardest of hard core get it done and then don't do it anymore.

I hope they release more permanent monsters soon, but realistically I think we're in the waiting game for an expansion of some sort.

i agree, however its good to note that "all the content there is" is about 250 hours, plus endgame decor and streamstones grinding. Its not everyones cup of tea, but for about 80% of all gamers thats 10x the amount of content they expect

Absolutely true. I just wish we had more stuff to do now since I'm almost at 600+ hours and basically done (minus a handful of decos, and a few KT weapons). But that's fine, I just hop on when there is something new and that's good enough.

600 hours for 60-70-80 dollars seem like a pretty okay deal to me

J3qcnBP.png
      i like arch-tempereds a lot actually

i'd be good seeing them on a more regular rotation

it definitely feels like we're in a slump tho. atm i'm just dicking around with builds and hoping for one of my last few jewel holdouts

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      I have discovered that the Vaal Hazak armor is basically cheating.

5gsowHm.png
      Healing in world is excellent QoL and its hard to go back once you discover healing augment + health boost + quick recovery

J3qcnBP.png
      Arch tempered monsters are among the laziest end game solution they have ever tried.

Give me grank and even deviants any day.

The only worse solution was apex.

They didn't expect for World to sell this well and are buying time with Arch Tempered. Which is fine it's just sad to feel stopped so early in an MH for me

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
      That would be pretty sweet if the AT elders were always around...and if they made all the other monsters AT as well. As it stands though, I am still having fun every time there is something new to do in the game, it doesnt need to consume every free hour I have.

Just for clarification I wrote my post as somebody who's 100% satisfied with what we got with World, and I don't regret any of the time spent playing it. It's a lot of fun!

i do wish they had differentiated arch-tempered a little more. vaal hazak was really well done on this front. lunastra too, but less successfully since lunastra is kinda bullsheeeet by default. but still, i did need to work around the challenge of being assblasted by wind pressure, so i'll give them half a kudos

kirin, teostra, kushala were all... fine. i appreciate having the option to fight a monster that'll hold out for more than ten minutes, if nothing else.

AT lunastra and extremoth have been the only two cases in world where it's started to feel a little much, but even so i'm glad they're around

• LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
      I've never played a monster hunter game before world, and I had an enjoyable experience. I moved on to other games after a while (think my last mission was clearing two bazelgeese at the same time) - there's probably more content I'd missed, but it felt like I had seen most monsters in the game, and did not particularly feel like fighting the same monsters but stronger to grind stronger weapons and armour.

Steam id: Varys
      LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
      there's two things i'd really like to see happen:

1. we need new weapons. gotten lots of new armor options, but the weapon options haven't been shaken up much since may. there's the behemoth glaive, which is good, bu not good good, and then the handful of weapons that got a decent new pgrade out of kulve... maybe half of them? but even those mostly fall under the same formula of good, unawakened raw weapon with white sharpness. which brings me to
      2. buff elemental weapons. jesus christ. it's nearly a year now. do not at all understand the rationale behind not doing this. it's game design 101 stuff. the more specialized build needs to be extra rewarding to get any use or it's not worth the bother. and it's super not worth the bother, because not only does raw win in scenarios where the elemental build is out of its specialty, it wins in every scenario, even when elemental is peaking out.

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
      I put the PS4 version down after the jho update, as I didn't want to redo everything on the PC...then that release had technical issues that (imo) are just now at a reasonably performant state between patches and the Special K mod.

It's unfortunate, as the overall gameplay flow is improved so much with the absolute removal of load times on the PC with an SSD.

Bowguns losing built-in shots (piercing elemental 1/2, triburst, dazzling, heavy, cannon, long....) in MHW is the biggest reason I'm putting more time into MHGU nowadays. Way more options to work towards = more goalposts.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
      PSN: LucidStar_BC
    • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
      I don't regret the hundreds of hours I put in to World. I think it really helped me enjoy the series after bouncing quickly on the couple of DS ones I played. Playing GU has been a struggle still.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
      Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
      I wouldn't hold my breath for Capcom to fix elemental. It's been broken for pretty much the whole series.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
      I thought SNS was all about elemental in the previous games, or have I been led astray?

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
      Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
      first attempt at AT zorah
      setup wide gunlance build
      joined pug
      jumped onto zorah
      realize i put on a regular lance
      help out best i can
      fight nergi
      yeah nergi left
      climbed zorah
      shit nergi is still there
      get lost
      yeah nergi left
      get to barrier
      jump on zorah head
      yeah broke core
      jump down to other core
      core's already broke
      wait how do i leave
      shit
      climb halfway up zorah
      oh here i can jump off
      can't jump off
      fall back down
      climb all the way up zorah
      yeah uh i'll just be cannon bitch from now on
      yay we did itttt

i could feel the pug venom in my soul

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
      First run of AT zorah felt pretty quick, was almost sub 19 minutes, rest of my runs were 20-21 though.

With lance shield, fire resistance doesnt feel necessary and with leech on my styx lance, I can outpace the heat dot; I was running a build that was ATK focused with +20% cannon damage.

Think I am going to whip out my KT Gunlance and see how that goes for my final run, only need one more completion for full armor set, it seems two tickets per completion is standard.

MHGU: Anyone hunting this weekend?