As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    AT Kulve Gamma

New Kulve weapons have Critical Element skill built into them. Hachi machi

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Hmm, interesting.

Well, those boots will be good for next time AT Xeno comes around.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    PSA: There's wording on the tutorial for AT Kulve with the following language:

"Some new siege objectives will be considered incomplete if you return from the siege and your pursuit level is at 1." I have to assume they put in some mechanics to combat people doing that (I argue they should redesign the pursuit system, but anyways...). Not sure if that will turn out to be a big deal or not though.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere people are collecting data on what the new weapons are?

dN0T6ur.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is it just a dps race again or is it a hard fight?

What is this I don't even.
    making her go into her new "frenzied" mode seems to be based on how many times you break the parts of her armor (the two tailcoat pieces, the coat sides, chestplates, arm plates) before she releases. so the more you can force her to submerge and make her replenish them the better

The silver lining of me being at work during this "discovery" phase is that by the time I'm home people should have figured out how to do it... in the mean time I'm missing out on all the chances at her existing weapon pool.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I havent actually been able to find anyone doing kulve. that new coil has some nice skills for bow

camo_sig.png
    edited December 2018
    Okay so... here's what's changed, as far as I can tell (did two pursuit 6 hunts from landing into active hubs, and then a pursuit 1 that failed when the rest of the party triple KOd in area 2).

Phase 1 I didn't notice any changes.
    Phase 2 she likes to spam breath attack. It will wreck you are dumb like the people I hunted with and stand there and get hit.
    Phase 3 not sure, never got to it normally.
    Phase 4 is where the real changes are. If you broke all of her armor pieces at least once before she released, you'll get a new attack and a notification will pop up that she's frenzied.

In frenzied, she's faster and more aggressive and has at least two new attacks - a 180 degree breath spray (she'll swipe her head along while breathing in an arc) that causes lava to fall from the ceiling in its wake, and a flaming palm strike in front of her that does some sort of explosion. You get extra rewards (the iridescent boxes) for breaking her horns while she's frenzied. If you break her normally, you'll get at least 1 on high rewards.

The new iridescent weapons (seems to come from the iridescent reward boxes as well as the gold boxes) have a high chance of giving weapons from the existing rarity 8 pool as well as the new Kjaar rarity 8 weapons. These all have innate Critical Element or Critical Status (for para/sleep/poison/blast weapons).

Kulve Gamma requires 7 "Emperor Nugget" items each per piece, they seem to be just a new loot item from kulve. I got them from the hunt rewards and the hub rewards. So you'll just have to grind out some kulve to make the set.

Naphtali on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't really have it in me to do a hunt tonight. maybe tomorrow but prob not

anybody wanna get a group going for friday or sat

browsing reddit to dig up what the new weapons are
    Insect Glaive (Para) 620 dmg White sharpness 10% aff 210 paralysis

Crit. Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsCIENC9IQ

As of Monday my time, or Sunday for U.S. people I'll be free to farm the hell out of KT for 2 weeks. :D

Elendil wrote: »
    i don't really have it in me to do a hunt tonight. maybe tomorrow but prob not

anybody wanna get a group going for friday or sat

yes please, I want to be able to hunt with some people that know what they're doing

I was surprised at how thinned out the audience was for KT, and so many people have no idea what they're doing (like, 90% of it is the same fight). I was the only LBG player and that scared me

is she much of a step up in difficulty? i'm a melee player so being faster in phase 4 is kinda worrying but as long as the pursuit level is reasonable it shouldn't be so bad

if you weren't running health boost, you should. I can't say much other than she hits harder, and they changed the tail swipe so she now has a slightly longer wind up before it to fake you out

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    While everyone is killing AT elder dragons....

I have managed to kill Tempered Kirin. I really don't like that fight. But it does teach me to stop gambling with my attacks. I get too greedy with them.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Hey y'all be real with me

How badly are the rainbow KT weapons gonna be outclassed by the tier of weapons that comes after high rank? Like if I end up crafting a G-rank Diablos hammer, is that going to be better than that really nice sleep hammer with no element and 50 hits of white sharpness?

dN0T6ur.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    all G rank weapons will outclass Hr weapons

J3qcnBP.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    While everyone is killing AT elder dragons....

I have managed to kill Tempered Kirin. I really don't like that fight. But it does teach me to stop gambling with my attacks. I get too greedy with them.

Never gamble with Tempered or Arch Tempered Kirin. Because he hits like a brick house. And that house always wins.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    G-Rank everything in Iceborne is going to outclass pretty much all current HR stuff, with maybe some edge-case stuff still hanging on but realistically it will be a restart on progression. Especially if they add higher sharpness levels

And honestly, it doesn't look like the bulk of the new KT stuff is going to be meta shaking, due to how elemental damage works.

But! With the changes to the loot pool the new iridescent rewards give you a much higher chance to get rarity 8 weapons for both the old pool of weapons and the new kjaar stuff. So if you want that Taroth Hammer Sleep or Taroth Sword Fire, the chances are much better you'll see it compared to before.

the elemental weapons aren't amazing but the status ones are pretty solid

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Because I’m weird, after taking down Tempered Kirin, I decided to have a go at regular ole Kirin for the first time.

Wow, that was easy.

Question: How do I acquire specific investigations? I distinctly seeing an ‘investigation’ alert pop up when I bashed Kirin’s horn off, but no Kirin investigations popped up when I checked the resource centre.

Accidentally stepping on a horneteur seems to give me a dozen of them it seems.....

Because I’m weird, after taking down Tempered Kirin, I decided to have a go at regular ole Kirin for the first time.

Wow, that was easy.

Question: How do I acquire specific investigations? I distinctly seeing an ‘investigation’ alert pop up when I bashed Kirin’s horn off, but no Kirin investigations popped up when I checked the resource centre.

Accidentally stepping on a horneteur seems to give me a dozen of them it seems.....

Hunting monsters, picking up their tracks and breaking parts all give a chance for investigations. In fact one of the best ways to get for tempered investigations is to let Tempered Kirin run around for 25 minutes and follow it with ghilli mantle and pick up it's tracks. Same with tempered Nergi.

edited December 2018
    You have to enable which you want to have through the resource center. There is a tab where you can can select the ones you unlocked

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Some friends of mine are finally picking this up for Christmas and I'm super excited to get into it again. Ive basically only played Hammer at this point, and I found it difficult to swap to different weapons because Hammer felt so fast and visceral and fun. I feel like Hammers have deceptively high skill ceilings and I just really enjoy them. I'm looking to get into a different weapon for my next playthrough with these guys. Fresh start. What weapons do you suggest if I love Hammer?

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    If you want something fast but different maybe give insect glaive a shot? its quite mobile and quick, and you add air bullshittery to the table.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    What weapons do you suggest if I love Hammer?

Hunting Horn? Be the team bard and still smash things in the head.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Other big weapons like Greatsword are high skill cap and bring the weighty big numbers too.

I would second Hunting Horn just because I really like it. You're clonking monsters on the head still, but also trying to kick a sick tune into their chin.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I'm really interested in the Hunting Horn. I might check that out.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Did Kulve finally get unique weapons or are the new ones still all gold recolors?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Started on the FF stuff PC side, fighting a kulu ya ku to chocobo music was an experience.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Likely going to be giving behemoth a few goes solo, found a nice guide for breaking bits off him so I’ll do that and make the armour. Maybe give him a go with people later if anyone wants to form a group

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Kulve is going pretty well so far. I'm at 3/5 armor bits created and a bunch of the new weaps. I'm at work atm so I can't post it, but the best run I've had so far had me get 8 or 9 iridescent loot box thingys. Was a line and half. Fastest run so far has been an 11 min run with phase 4 successful. That was a full group of bowguns, 3 LBG and 1 HBG I think. We all had materials for multiple bombs on us and every time KT went down she got bombed. That run we had a phase 2 break, luckily after she'd submerged once, and one of the ppl managed to bash her on the head with a boulder in phase 3 room while on top of the lava pool, tons of free damage and almost instantly progressed to last room.

I'm running styx LBG, I try to pick up a few Gagalaka daggers during first 3 phases to make paralysis daggers, I've only had to use them once, if the group I'm in makes it to phase 4 (I want to guess I'm at roughly 60% phase 4 luck?) we usually get KTs horns broken. I wish there was a way for me to run paralysis ammo in styx lbg, but I will live with the daggers for now. Still waiting on my glutton BG :(. This time around for KT I'm keeping EVERY DAMN WEAPON until after the event and seeing if any of them are useful. Last time around I was only keeping the rarity 8 weapons and I have a sick feeling I nuked a glutton.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Some friends of mine are finally picking this up for Christmas and I'm super excited to get into it again. Ive basically only played Hammer at this point, and I found it difficult to swap to different weapons because Hammer felt so fast and visceral and fun. I feel like Hammers have deceptively high skill ceilings and I just really enjoy them. I'm looking to get into a different weapon for my next playthrough with these guys. Fresh start. What weapons do you suggest if I love Hammer?

Charge Blades with Impact Phials can stun monsters if you want to still stand at the head of your targets.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Did Kulve finally get unique weapons or are the new ones still all gold recolors?

New weapons, but they're more gold recolours.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Wow, that was easy.

Hunting monsters, picking up their tracks and breaking parts all give a chance for investigations. In fact one of the best ways to get for tempered investigations is to let Tempered Kirin run around for 25 minutes and follow it with ghilli mantle and pick up it's tracks. Same with tempered Nergi.

If you check the Event tab on the mission list, the one where you run around grabbing rare mushrooms is full of purple tracks. Tier 1 and Tier 2 investigations.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in the Hunting Horn. I might check that out.

Nice. There are a few tricks (doing the quick stab with the hilt, playing double notes, direction when starting a song) but it's a fairly straightforward kit that plays into skill of actually hitting the monster on the noggin while keeping your songs up and using a filler song (usually 3 of the same note) to get those good bashes in.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I think I might be at the point where I I'm going to mod the game to do something about decorations.

I'm 180 hours in and still only have the one attack gem they give you and none of the hard to get ones across maybe fifty tempered elder dragons.

Otherwise I think I'll probably end up stopping playing.