As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    I loved Generations, but how are you guys able to go back to the older titles after the innumerable QOL improvements that they put into MHW? I get that MHGU has an extraordinary amount of content but it’s just so ... clunky, and there is so much grindy stuff in it that doesn’t involve killing monsters (hello charm farming).

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I loved Generations, but how are you guys able to go back to the older titles after the innumerable QOL improvements that they put into MHW? I get that MHGU has an extraordinary amount of content but it’s just so ... clunky, and there is so much grindy stuff in it that doesn’t involve killing monsters (hello charm farming).

Based on what I've been hearing about World, charm farming is nothing compared to decoration farming.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly, I've been considering myself purely because I really don't like the elder-focused entire second half of the game. I've restarted it on PC, and I'm already dreading it. Kushala, Kirin, Teostra, and Val Hazaak are all very much not fun. Shit, of those four Daora might be the closest thing to an enjoyable fight, and please let it sink in that I'm saying Kushala Daora is an above-average fight in terms of fun.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Of course I say that, and it’s taking all of my willpower to not order a switch and mhgu. I’m getting pretty deep into my computer science degree, and I don’t want a “new” mh title distracting me once fall term starts.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly, I've been considering myself purely because I really don't like the elder-focused entire second half of the game. I've restarted it on PC, and I'm already dreading it. Kushala, Kirin, Teostra, and Val Hazaak are all very much not fun. Shit, of those four Daora might be the closest thing to an enjoyable fight, and please let it sink in that I'm saying Kushala Daora is an above-average fight in terms of fun.

I'm generally fine with Teostra, Vaal Hazak is okay with me, Nergigante should count and is reasonable. Kushala is not so bad with a bow and it's been giving me some practice with Hunting Horn (Hunting Horn actually owns when you don't have to look through menus for the song list btw).

But even being okay with the fights themselves it's still a drag how insanely limited my options are.

How much more ridiculous is this than mining for three minutes and then jumping on a Rathalos though, really.

As far as mechanics go, most of my preferred weapons feel so much better in World. Switch Axe feels five thousand times more interesting, and I can finally Hunting Horn. HOWEVER, I do miss Blast Dash.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    ...All my Limited Bounty stuff just reset, with 2 days left, and I was one mission away from completing them all. :(

Did this happen to anyone else? I literally had everything except one Rathalos completed, and it reset AS I came back from the last Rathalos mission. (Unless it resets and lets you redo them all again but I'm pretty sure it didn't do that last time.)
    Same here. I had a great girros left to go. Disconnected for awhile, lost access to the limited tab, got it back later with all the same bounties back at 0/x. Kind of annoying considering one is high rank elder dragons and I just got through that one at the end of the story.

Yeah, pretty much exactly what happened to me, though I just needed to hunt one more Rathalos. Checked this morning, back to 0 in everything (except one Rathalos). I'll check again after work, but hopefully if they can't revert people's progress, they'll just give everyone the limited bounty rewards.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    My dream is for them to combine the massive amount of content in titles like mhgu with the buttery-smooth gameplay of mhw.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It looks like they went back and added the new monsters to online high rank, as normal quests. That's more than I expected they'd do.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Personally, I never felt like the QoL changes in world were that big, so it’s easy to go back.

And also SnS and the bowguns are how I like it again, heh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

By not playing MHW.

• Options
    Harsh.

I love all the changes in MHW, and it's legit my favourite time with any MonHun due to the ease of playing with friends, the ability to use the controller I want to use, etc. My only gripe is the scarcity of Screamer Sacs, though it seems the pods are only really useful against Diablos this time around. Correct me if I'm wrong?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    @Naphtali

okay so assuming i want to take another crack at extremoth what setup should i try to run, assuming that i'm not familiar with any of the playstyles

HBG glutton tank
    cluster bomber
    support sns

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Why do people keep capturing monsters when they join my games instead of just finishing them off?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Quicker? Still don't know if you get better rewards from capture than kill this time around.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    It's pretty easy for me.

There's nothing that world does that is "OMG! I can't live without this"

Especially when viewed through the prism of the level of content

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Also a lot of the *problems* with MH that people say world fixed don't actually bother me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Elendil wrote: »
    Naphtali

okay so assuming i want to take another crack at extremoth what setup should i try to run, assuming that i'm not familiar with any of the playstyles

HBG glutton tank
    cluster bomber
    support sns

is this context doing it with 100% pugs or with PA people

I mean, whatever you're more comfortable with I guess?

edit: does anyone want to try and form a full group and give extremoth some tries?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    either or

i am zero percent familiar with hbg and maybe 20% familiar with sns and 0% familiar with playing support

i have never once used a lifepowder in kindness

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I've only played a few hours of MHGU, but so far the only MHW change I miss is how bowguns control. MHW has a fps/tps style control setup and feature set, and MHGU definitely does not.

Renzo on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Support SnS is easy. Get wide range on your armor and chug potions to heal people, making use of SnS being able to use items without sheathing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    it would give me an excuse to use my three fungiform jewels

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Also a lot of the *problems* with MH that people say world fixed don't actually bother me.
    I've been playing these games since Unite and I'm very much in the "I loved them despite the buttload of design choices/hardware necessities I disliked" camp. World finally polished enough of them off that I'm enjoying the game overall, not despite itself- the controls aren't making my hands cramp up into T-Rex claws, the constant zone changes aren't taking me out of the game over and over, the rank progression isn't a mysterious and unmarked procession of missions, everyone gets their mission credited on completion rather than just the person who created the room, your inventory is no longer half-clogged with tools you need to gather with, tracking monsters is more involved than waving at balloons or having ongoing skills, nodes respawn so you don't need to constantly repeat the same gathering mission over and over for resources,...

I realise some/many of these have already been addressed over the years and with specific titles, but with World there were finally enough of them in one place where I've hit 40 hours and kept playing. The only feature I miss is Prowler Mode. And the old female armour designs that fell more on the femenine/classy/cute side, rather than this game's thong mode.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Support SnS is easy. Get wide range on your armor and chug potions to heal people, making use of SnS being able to use items without sheathing.

mechanically it's simple enough

more of a user issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvCQ80Brkw0

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I hear that the tier 2 tempered monsters are actually better than elders for decoration farming. Elders are more for augments.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    i've gotten most of my streamstones from T-Jho and Arch-tempereds, honestly

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    The only feature I miss is Prowler Mode. And the old female armour designs that fell more on the feminine/classy/cute side, rather than this game's thong mode.

Odogaron Thong Swimsuit.

Anjanath Pink Bikini.

Deviljho and Drachen No Navel Armour.

Kulu Bellydance Outfit.

Nergigante Bikini With Shoulderpads.

Tzitzi would be better without the huge open collar.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    i honestly wish the anjanath chest had better stats

that cape is fuckin sick and female characters get no capes, ever

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I bought MHGU and then it made me pine for MHW

So i have that on steam too (add me @mojojoeo)

I dont miss much in MHGU- but you feel so much more fluid in your movement in world. That is the only issue i have with the old one now.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've started trying out the bow. It seems okay I suppose.

There's a bunch of range related skills though I'm not sure which are more worthwhile.

There's + normal shots, + scatter/power, there's the 2 rank skill that increases dragon piercer by 20%. At least one other skill that improves DP but doesn't say how much. Do I want to try and get all of these?

Can I upgrade decorations or do you just need to hope a higher level one drops?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I genuinely just posted a video of the easiest way to secure a victory earlier in the thread. Hbg glutton tanking is the most effective way to control and win the fight. I had never really played hbg before extremoth, but I still figured it out pretty quickly.

If you want to do it with pa people, I can tank for you, in which case I’d recommend either cluster bombing or some sort of support playstyle. You totally don’t have to hbg cluster bomb to do effective dps though. It just makes it a little more braindead.

*edit* Haha, I’m not sure why I chose to quote that post.

biscuitbutt81 on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

guild cross soon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Glal wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I've been playing these games since Unite and I'm very much in the "I loved them despite the buttload of design choices/hardware necessities I disliked" camp. World finally polished enough of them off that I'm enjoying the game overall, not despite itself- the controls aren't making my hands cramp up into T-Rex claws, the constant zone changes aren't taking me out of the game over and over, the rank progression isn't a mysterious and unmarked procession of missions, everyone gets their mission credited on completion rather than just the person who created the room, your inventory is no longer half-clogged with tools you need to gather with, tracking monsters is more involved than waving at balloons or having ongoing skills, nodes respawn so you don't need to constantly repeat the same gathering mission over and over for resources,...

I realise some/many of these have already been addressed over the years and with specific titles, but with World there were finally enough of them in one place where I've hit 40 hours and kept playing. The only feature I miss is Prowler Mode. And the old female armour designs that fell more on the femenine/classy/cute side, rather than this game's thong mode.

This expresses exactly how I feel. There are so many activities in the older titles that you have to endlessly repeat that don’t involve fighting monsters.

That’s what I was alluding to with my reference to charm farming. I wasn’t talking about the level of grind involved or bullshit rng. My point was that you didn’t actually fight anything. In generations, the optimal method for farming charms involved running around the shitty volcano map with a prowler and hitting specific mining points and then farcasting back to base and ending the mission. It was mind numbing!

biscuitbutt81 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is there any benefit to doing all/most of the training quests in MHGU other than just personal learning? Like do they give you some extra reward or items for doing so? ACHEESEMENT!?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    @Entaru Maybe we should have a MHGU spreadsheet of players? Although I highly suspect that the vast majority of them will be the same players from MHG, so you can just invite all of your old 3DS friends on the Switch (which is found under Friend Suggestions).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Got to G Rank in MHGU (diablos hella hard compared to world)

will post my friends code when im home tonight, prepping for pax! ( @Zanshinretsu @flammiebc )

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    What is considered to be the strongest style for hammer in mhgu?

• Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    How on earth did you get to G rank in one day?

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Supagoat wrote: »
    How on earth did you get to G rank in one day?
    It's basically only one quest, if you completed Monster Hunter Generations and transferred over your save. I got the Urgent with Diablos immediately, too.

Here's a list of the G-rank Key Quests for MHGU (spoilers for people who care about that sort of thing):
    G1
    Pecking Order (Yian Kut-Ku in Ruined Pinnacle)
    Lost, But Not for Long (Gypceros in A. Steppe)
    Surprise! (Cephadrome + Daimyo in Dunes)
    Water fight (Royal Ludroth x2 in M. Peaks)
    Survival of the Biggest (Giadrome + Bulldrome in A. Ridge)
    Urgent: Dirty Deals (Barroth in Desert)

G2
    That’s No Rock… (Basarios in Marshlands)
    Queen of the Ruined Pinnacle (Rathian in Ruined Pinnacle)
    Not Mushroom to Swing a Congalala (Congalala in Jungle)
    Shadows in the Desert Lake (Plesioth in Desert)
    The Next Stage of E-Volvi-lution (Volvidon + Great Macao in J. Frontier)
    Urgent: Giant Dragon Invasion (Lao-Shan Lung in Fortress)

G3
    Pinnacle Pioneering (Astalos in Ruined Pinnacle)
    The Boiling Broiling Desert (Glavenus in Desert)
    Water Kerfuffle (Mitsusune)
    Ice Recover (Gammoth in F. Seaway)
    The Lost Expedition (Barioth in F. Seaway)
    A Certain Gravitas (Gravios in V. Hallow)
    Urgent: Sales of Justice (Valstrax in A. Ridge)

G4
    Beware Twin Horns on the Sand (Diablos in Desert)
    Deviljho Hunt (Deviljho in Jungle)
    Tracing the Family Tree (Tigrex in Primal Forest)
    Emergency of the Arctic Ridge (Rajang in A. Ridge)
    (Unlocks next 2)
    A Very Long Engravement (Galvenus + Gravios in Volcano)
    A Titanic Clash (Agnaktor + Duramboros in Arena)
    Urgent: Castle on the Run (Ahtal-Ka in Forlorn Citadel)

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Legiana Alpha has a cape! I know this because that and Kushala are basically the only wearable chest pieces I own!

Pretty depressing every time I try to build a decent set and have to discard all the results with the Dober vest. Although it's not as bad as all the times I see Kirin or Death Stench leggings with an open waist piece.

This is another reason I'm kind of tempted by GenU. Back in the day I could make almost any set work with enough time spent slaving away in the Athena Mines.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    @Entaru Maybe we should have a MHGU spreadsheet of players? Although I highly suspect that the vast majority of them will be the same players from MHG, so you can just invite all of your old 3DS friends on the Switch (which is found under Friend Suggestions).

I will throw one up this afternoon after work.