As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] Dungeon World - Fortress of the Ur-Mage: All is Lost (Ur-Mage Victory)

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Team Ramrod

Fox moves slowly up to the next painting and looks for the wraith.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The Ramrods

As Fox looked the next painting he noticed it was not of a wraith, but instead a waterfall tumbling down into the underworld. There is a great sucking of air....

The Ramrods blinked, and gone was the gallery. Instead, they stood in a cavern, a short walk lead to a dock with longboats and an urn filled with coins. A skeletal ferryman beckoned them towards the boats.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Team Ramrod

Lig | L3 | Human - Druid | HP 20/21 | DMG D6 | AR 2 on land

Lig sees the ferrymen and thinks on the jovial Skeleton thief they encountered in the bar.
    Lig waves to test how friendly this skeleton man is.

"Ho there, my skeleton friend!
    We seemed to have just arrived here.
    Where does this ferry lead? Any protocol for passing?

I see coin in that urn. Is there a cost for the use of the boat?"

Lig attempts to think on the meaning of the painting and how it might relate to their predicament.

(Discern Realities)
    Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Art Criticism.

Art Criticism:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=1, 6]

VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    What is about to happen?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What here is useful or valuable to me?

VayBJ4e.png
    edited September 2018
    The Ramrods
    Something very grim.

You see Squibble, Halwyr, and Selgith lying in boats further down the river. They’re about to go over the falls.

The gold coins you notice bear your faces, as well as those of others still living.

The ferryman’s jaw fell open with a clack! as it pointed to empty boats.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited September 2018
    INSIGHT CHECK this skeleton

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Wisdom

wait wrong game

Wisdom:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    Team Ramrod

"Friend, it seems your jaw fell out of socket. Allow me to help you with that."

Lig moves close to the ferrymen, using their club, to lightly reposition the dropped jaw back into a natural position, with the intention of drawing attention away from the urn of coins.

Lig internally thinks as they engage with the ferryman
    "hopefully the fox knows what to do here"

VayBJ4e.png
    Team Ramrod

"Friend, it seems your jaw fell out of socket. Allow me to help you with that."

Lig moves close to the ferrymen, using their club, to lightly reposition the dropped jaw back into a natural position, with the intention of drawing attention away from the urn of coins.

Lig internally thinks as they engage with the ferryman
    "hopefully the fox knows what to do here"

Geth roll 2d6+3 for TRICKS OF THE TRADE

TRICKS OF THE TRADE:
    2d6+3 8 [2d6=4, 1]

• RezariRezari Registered User regular
    Grim Company: @Nips @saber_of_black @LaserFowl @SalmonMax
    "Wonder what the die one does... makes them fall over, or apt to kill whoever put the scroll in?"

• LaserFowlLaserFowl Registered User regular
    Grim Company: @Nips @Rezari @saber_of_black @SalmonMax

"Let's pick another way, lest you wish to keep poking around." Rat rubbed her nose with her sleeve.

The Ramrods

Fox managed to snatch several coins whilst the ferryman's attention was diverted.
    Choose between Danger or Cost

Hail Hydra
    Do we have our regular items / urn with us at the moment?

VayBJ4e.png
    Danger

• saber_of_blacksaber_of_black Registered User regular
    The Grim Company @Nips @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

Vermillion's red eyes widen and he sighs heavily in delight. "Indeed, my minute maven, we should be off. Off and away... But tell me, prefer you an arcane flourishing to the north or the stuff of miracles west?"

It did not matter. Producing a cloak of black velvet scattered with starry rhinestones, he throws it about his shoulders and ignores both doors for the spiraling stair into the mine.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The Grim Company @saber_of_black @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

The bulky form of the paladin cocks his head, as if to imply puzzlement, at the newest member of the cadre as he moves toward the shaft.
    "Arcane power, you say? Perhaps we have caught the scent of the Ur-Mage himself, and thus will see his head on a pike shortly."

The Argent Specter begins to regard the door to the north, inspecting it before he moves to open it.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Discern Realities

Discern Realities:
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=2, 3]

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    The Ramrods
    You do have items on hand

As Fox picked up the coins, a wail erupted as a soul crawled out of the coins, lunging at Fox
    Defy Danger +Dex, +Con, or +Wis

The Grim Company

Vermilion capered down the down the shaft, he could the going would be treacherous at best, narrow ledges and rickety bridges that the golems seemed to navigate with mechanical precision.

As he proceeded down, the Specter attempted to make more sense of the chamber. One of the clay golems tottered close and fell onto him, the hot clay collapsing and engulfing him.
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 Hot clay entanglement

Hot clay entanglement:
    1d6+2 3 [1d6=1]

Hail Hydra
    Geth roll 2d6+3 Defy Danger + Dex
    Geth roll 2d6+1 Defy Danger + Con
    Geth roll 2d6 Defy Danger +Wis

Defy Danger + Dex:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=3, 5]
    Defy Danger + Con:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=5, 3]
    Defy Danger +Wis:
    2d6 5 [2d6=4, 1]

joshgotro wrote: »
    Danger

Hell Yeah!
    i2hff7cjzi9j.png

VayBJ4e.png
    What precisely is hot clay entanglement? It looks like damage, in which case my armor, shield, and move should prevent it all. Unless there's extenuating circumstances, which I (the player) wouldn't be surprised by.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    The Grim Company
    Yup, only time I roll is for damage, or sometimes other random gribblies, but mostly damage

The Specter is unperturbed by the hot clay, but it appears to have him stuck in place. Further action will be required to loose him from the muck.

The Ramrods

Fox dove away at the last possible second, the cold fingertips of the damned grazed his flesh and sapping the warmth from him before the soul flies into the river.

Hail Hydra
    Team Ramrod

Who's coins did I nab?

The Grim Company: @Nips @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

Stealing down the stair, through the initial tunnels, and to the very start of the treacherous ledges, the elf begins, "I've gone by so many names: Knave, Curr, Rapscalion, Yellow-Belly , but I've always preferred my given name. Call me..." He whips around in a flourish of the starry cape, simultaneously drawing his rapier, "Vermilion Catamount."

It was then he realized no one had followed him down the hole. Looking around and likely bowing to whatever bat, spider, or passing golem there might be, he slips back the way he came only to find Argent Spector stuck in place.

"Perfect!" Vermilion proceeds to repeat his introduction to the immobile knight.

The Grim Company @saber_of_black @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

The bulky knight draws his sword, and begins to hack away chunks of the clay to free himself. Even still, he finds himself roughly fixed.

"An impressive list of eponyms, Master Elf. Are your skills in survival just as robust? I could use your assistance in freeing myself from this congealed abomination."

The Ramrods
    Assorted, but you got at least a couple of everyone

Hail Hydra
    Team Ramrod
    "Here dwarf. I don't want these."

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Team Ramrod | Durgon | 18/23 HP

Durgon takes the coins from Fox, looking at them carefully. “These hae our faces on them.” He says aloud. The dwarf looks between the coins and the boats. “The ferryman. Boats. Coins.” He pauses for a moment while he thinks. “There be a custom for some clans where they believe you place coins on the dead to pay the ferryman. This might be that. I think we hae to get in the boats with the coins.”

The dwarf’s face scrunches up.”I canne remember if the coins go over your eyes or in your mouth though.”

• RoshyykRoshyyk Registered User regular
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | L3 | Human Barbarian | HP 21/24 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold+Gold hand clutching blade

“One way to find out then. Give me the coins with my face on them, and I’ll put them on my eyes. I feel like I’ve heard this tale.” Krolax holds his hand out to collect his coins

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Team Ramrod | Durgon | 18/23 HP

Durgon hands Krolax the coins with his face on them, then hands everyone else their faces as well.

edited September 2018
    Team Ramrod

"Into the boat I guess."

Fox take back his coins.

"Hey bones, see ya tomorrow."

joshgotro on
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | L3 | Human Barbarian | HP 21/24 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold+Gold hand clutching blade

With a shrug of uncertainty, Krolax steps into the boat. “Dwarf, you’d best be right.”

Team Ramrod

"Certainly can't swim across if the river is filled with the damned souls that tried to snatch away Fox.
    I'd make sure they aren't able to grab you while you are in there."

How many longboats are out at the dock?
    Do they have places to sit, or stand, or crouch down?

VayBJ4e.png
    edited September 2018
    The Grim Company @Nips @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

Vermilion's red eyes flicker. "Master elf. Master... Yes, I like that."

The bard's trance passes after one too many seconds, then he canters up to the knight and bops him on the nose (or nose guard).

((To clean him off))

Geth roll 2d6+1 to cast Prestidigitation!

to cast Prestidigitation!:
    2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]

saber_of_black on
    The Ramrods

The boats were long enough for a person to lie down in them, much less sit or crouch. As Krolax stepped into his, the boat wavered slightly. The ferryman reached out to steady, jaw snapping shut. It then started to cast Krolax off.

Hail Hydra

As he lays down he mutters under his breath, “This is ridiculous.” Krolax then places the coins on his eyes.

edited September 2018
    Sounds like we each get a person sized boat.

Team Ramrod

Lig bows to the Ferryman, and thanks them for the instruction.

Lig follows suit of Krolax, laying down, cautious of grabby spirits, and lays the two coins of his face on his eyes.

Lig shouts!

"Aye, it's ridiculous!
    But the Ferryman seemed to be good sort!
    Didn't seem to mind my chicanery, you know"

a pause occurs after this.

"Worst comes to worse, we can always just fly away.
    Just remember to shapechange into a bird or something!"

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    The Ramrods

After Krolax and Lig lay down, the Ferryman shoved them off into the river. The pair were carried along by the current.

Krolax heard the moaning and wailing of the dispossessed, the boat shuddering and rocking. Lig saw colors flash behind his eyes and felt his craft lurch in the current.

Those still ashore could see the boats approaching the fall...

Hail Hydra
    edited September 2018
    Team Ramrod
    "If this goes sideways Bones, I'll find a way to get back to ya."

Fox stumbles as he moves past Bones McGee...

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Tricks of the Trade

(i'm not asking for a big bone, maybe just a rib)

And Fox jumps into his longboat

Tricks of the Trade:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=3, 6]

joshgotro on
    It's canon, The Ramrods are a pirate crew. We brought a lot of disposable members to the fortress.

VayBJ4e.png
    The Ramrods

Fox plucked a rib from the Ferryman’s chest. It didn’t seem to notice or care, dutifully casting him off into the river of souls.

Krolax could hear the waterfall now, a roaring the seeming to bleed into the wailing. Lig could feel part of his boat slplinter not too far behind.

Hail Hydra
    Team Ramrod

Yarrrr! Be Brave! Yarrrrrr!

Ligriv screams as he thinks on his Captain.

VayBJ4e.png