Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX South 2019 Challenge Coin - Vote on Coin Aspects!

2»

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I agree that just pasting the image of the llama would not be a very good design, but I think the Battle Royal theme would be fun. Possibly a PAX pinata with the same colors and a saying "Which line we droppin boys?"

zerzhul
  • shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    edited October 27
    Maybe a map of Texas with a circle closing in on San Antonio to represent the zone borders in BR games?

Here's a rough mock-up with my expert Paint skillz. Perfect 5/7!k125tm8ziay6.png

shimwood on
    South: 2 East: 0 West: 0 Aus: 0 Unplugged: 0
    RILMSshdwcasterorthancstone
  • RILMSRILMS Darwell, ABRegistered User regular
    edited October 27
    Hmm, I like it. I'd want to add some text to make it more obvious what we're going for. Would, "Which line we droppin boys?" Work? I just saw for PUBG, "Drop in and Stay Alive". I could see that working

I have not been playing any BR games, lol

RILMS on
    CiSEhpT.png

Ask me about PAX South 2019 Challenge Coins here
    I think the maps also have the names of places on them so we can probably use a different map of Texas with the major cities listed. That'll also allow us to get a more accurate zone circle on San Antonio.

And, yeah, I don't play any BR games nor do I really watch any anymore.

Something like this?

5ah2qgqk1ngp.gif

CiSEhpT.png

shimwood
  • The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    I'm thinking the text is too busy, especially on a coin. We could have symbols that represent the cities, like a domed building (Austin), Astros (Houston), etc. They'd probably need to be stylized, no fine detail.

Maybe even just dots for the other cities and the torch (or boot, or Riverwalk) could mark San Antonio. Again, limited space. If we do go with labels, we could only include a few to cut down on the visual noise.

I don't think we need to tell people it's Texas ... I think most people will get that.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • rickman33rickman33 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    One thing to note, we generally stay away from having copyrighted imagery on the coins, or being an advertisement for whatever the cool new game is. I do like that llama though, but maybe there's a way to reference battle royal type games without one specific branding?

I was thinking that, too, but...There is Pac-Man on every coin; We did Zelda last year. Other PAXes have shown Duct Hunt, a Pokéball, etc...
    Or, are you saying that the pic we have is an asset lifted directly from the game or developer?

• rickman33rickman33 Registered User regular
    edited October 31
    RILMS wrote: »
    Something like this?

5ah2qgqk1ngp.gif

That's pretty much a map of Texas. I personally wouldn't want that on the gaming side of our coin.
    And, if we did a map, why wouldn't we do one of SAN ANTONIO???
    Here's one I pulled off the Interwebz. I think this is something someone would have to take the time to redesign, but I still really don't like the idea of trying to squeeze a bunch of little words onto the face of a coin.

afrhj8nibw25.jpg

The "circle" would be around the area where the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center is...

rickman33 on
    shimwood
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    rickman33 wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    One thing to note, we generally stay away from having copyrighted imagery on the coins, or being an advertisement for whatever the cool new game is. I do like that llama though, but maybe there's a way to reference battle royal type games without one specific branding?

I was thinking that, too, but...There is Pac-Man on every coin; We did Zelda last year. Other PAXes have shown Duct Hunt, a Pokéball, etc...
    Or, are you saying that the pic we have is an asset lifted directly from the game or developer?
    You're not wrong, although I feel like NES duck hunt and zelda old man imagery is more a culture reference than an ad for a current game, if that makes sense. Also the old man was giving us pax, so it was some creative license a bit? The pacman is a penny-arcade thing with gabe. The pokeball was part of a crane game of a big pile of stuff. The only one I can think of that was really just one game without anything else to it was the catan from unplugged last year, although while they still sell it, it's not "new" by any stretch of the imagination.

I dunno, I am not trying to take a stand, just seems that Fortnite is a "current craze" and so it feels advertisey even though nobody intends it that way. Maybe even if it had the fortnite llama, the pubg frying pan, and imagery from some other battle royal games, it wouldn't seem the same way to me?

mea5boj.pngoW9G6G8.png
    shdwcaster
    I can get behind limiting the map to just San Antonio. Now we just need someone to do the ACTUAL work :P

How about this? Not too sure how it'll look on a coin now that I think about it...

wa1b5hib5ooy.jpg

Also, I apologize for not being around as often as I have been in the past. I got a new job and moved back to Canada in March and I am still figuring out my work/life balance

CiSEhpT.png

edited November 12
    Yeah, color coin might be easier to do, but the non-color coin isn't going to look right.

I think we need something other than Battle Royale for the gaming side.

shimwood on
    RILMS
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Hmm if we're set on battle Royale maybe legally generic llama piniata being bashed open with an iron skillet since those are the 2 big ones?

shdwcaster
    Breaking away from BR games, something featuring Arcades hasn't been done in awhile

grogoo-arcade-console-1388-retro-games-2.jpg

I had also suggested a 1-up previously

CiSEhpT.png

zerzhul
    edited November 15
    We should do hoop & stick for the game side. No one else is likely going to do it, may as well have fun.

shimwood on
    RILMS
  • LadyDeathLadyDeath San AntonioRegistered User regular
    Taco trucks are really popular and have almost become a culture of their own. How about something paying homage to our Taco Trucks?

shimwood
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Again I know we're trying to move away from battle Royale games which is fine with me but I thought of a good not game specific thing what about a care package create with PAX on the side?

RILMS
    Hmm...I kinda like the care package idea. Kinda goes along with last years coin.

Something like this?
    d9e5d9afzbxt.png

CiSEhpT.png

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley Mountain View, CARegistered User regular
    There is a huge surge in the retro gaming scene with all these classic units. Not sure if there is something there to do with 8 bit or 16 bit gaming, but I feel like there should be. Also, I think it would be cool to put something like the 3 keys from Ready Player One, or the "Easter Egg" (which really applies to all games). Just some random ideas to throw out there.

LvB0KGC.png
2»