As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

television: maybe you shouldn't watch it. i dunno.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Riverdale is always real.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Riverdale.

Did that crate seriously have fucking Miskatonic University on it

Are you for real right now

Wait what?

In Tales From the Darkside, from season 2, the box Jughead is transporting to Greendale has stuff on the label about the Antarctic expedition, HP Lovecraft, and Miskatonic

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If you think that's wild, have I got a season premier episode for you!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I sure do love Ṛ̴̥̮͙͉̺̗͒̋͟ỉ̵̸͔͍̔̈́ͨ͛̊̅͊̔͝v̨͙͖͈̗̞̼̐̇͠ͅę̶̟̥̦̯̮͎̌̋ͭ̉r̰̳̫̦ͣ́d̨͈̳̠̮̺͓̼̓͂ͅá͈̗͓̩̼ͯ̓͑ͩ̈̐͘ļ͔̘͕ͪ̉ͅe̐̐̊͏̳̟

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bobs burgers is on fire this season.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Will Riverdale eventually turn into Afterlife with Archie?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

it's quickly becoming twin peaks

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

this was talked about as a season one finale

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    LAW AND ORDER : SVU HAD AN EPISODE ABOUT INCELS.

This I have to see

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is that the one Jake Paul was in or was there another Gamergate one

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Incels are not exactly Gamer Gate, like I doubt there isn't an overlap, but incels are way more death culty than just the usual gamer gates.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Do they have to explain it to ice t

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

HE TRIED THE DARK WEB, PEOPLE

didn't bother with fuckin' reddit but BAH GAWD HE USED THE DARK WEB

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    The dark web isn’t like

Real

Is it?

It’s just something that aging TV writers believe in because they’re afraid of technology, right?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    The dark web isn’t like

Real

Is it?

It’s just something that aging TV writers believe in because they’re afraid of technology, right?

Its real and accessing it does put you on various governemnt watchlists

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The darkweb is 100% real and it’s used for some real grimy shit

Like you can find incel bullshit on the regular internet

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The Dark Web is usually access by Tor and Tor was originally created by the US Navy and is still being funded by various branches of the US government because

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SVU writers use Darkweb as a short hand for "not your normal internet" Probably also saves them from having to pay any fees to reddit or 4chan nor give them any extra traffic.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    SVU writers use Darkweb as a short hand for "not your normal internet" Probably also saves them from having to pay any fees to reddit or 4chan nor give them any extra traffic.

So would you say it’s not my daddy’s internet?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Do the Emmys have a Best Line category

Because
    Ice T wrote:
    We've got another Chad.

Is a strong contender

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

So would you say it’s not my daddy’s internet?

I’m sure it’s some very specific daddies’ internet

• Options
    Did... did they have a hanging Chad joke?

sig.gif
  • Options
    See that just reminds me of this John Mulaney bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4pQBYg1vfA&t=1s

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

HE TRIED THE DARK WEB, PEOPLE

didn't bother with fuckin' reddit but BAH GAWD HE USED THE DARK WEB

didn't even bother with google

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The dark web is just sites that you connect using IPs instead of urls right?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I sure do love Ṛ̴̥̮͙͉̺̗͒̋͟ỉ̵̸͔͍̔̈́ͨ͛̊̅͊̔͝v̨͙͖͈̗̞̼̐̇͠ͅę̶̟̥̦̯̮͎̌̋ͭ̉r̰̳̫̦ͣ́d̨͈̳̠̮̺͓̼̓͂ͅá͈̗͓̩̼ͯ̓͑ͩ̈̐͘ļ͔̘͕ͪ̉ͅe̐̐̊͏̳̟
    This post is making my browser want to translate from Vietnamese.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The dark web is just sites that you connect using IPs instead of urls right?

It's definitely more complicated than that. There are many dark web networks, and to access any of them you have to connect to a network node, usually using a special program.

It's kind of like, if the internet is a shopping mall, the dark web is the basement, which you can only get to through locked or hidden doors.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Incels are not exactly Gamer Gate, like I doubt there isn't an overlap, but incels are way more death culty than just the usual gamer gates.

Shit's a circle

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DAAAAAAARK WEB

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    hey, spidey? turn off the dark web

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I was on my computer while Mr Muzz was watching SVU, and I heard the term ‘incel’. Then I had to explain to him that yes, these guys exist, and they can be dangerous.

Oddly enough, hearing Ice T say ‘Chad’ makes their terminology sound even more ridiculous

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    My understanding is that there is not a singular Dark Web, but essentially many different networks of shady business that you have to access via special methods. Generally not something you can stumble into since you usually have to already know that specific network is there in order to get to it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Posting on the dork web rn

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Jimothy wrote: »
    The dark web isn’t like

Real

Is it?

it's real in the same way that other tech jargon is used on shows, which is to say "that term is real but the way they are using it is not"

to know what the darkweb is you'd have to understand how the internet actually works. And since that's fun to talk about let's do it!!!!

Ok so what is...The Internet??? Well, it's a million million computers that are all hooked together and talk to each other and perform different tasks. I might want to use my computer to host a comic, for instance, and for people to talk about that comic and other topics. So first, I would draw lots of comics, and I would use a computer that's running all the time to allow other users to access that server and write messages. If the comic and board got popular enough, I might need to buy more servers or hire a company that would do that for me to handle all of the simultaneous traffic. That's all the internet is, it's just millions of that happening on an ever increasing scale.

Ok, so I have this comic, and this "message board," that people are connecting to and talking on, but how are they getting there? How do they find my website in the first place? Imagine a map of a city
    it7mvddei03r.png

See all those roads with names and signs and streetlights and everything? We know how to get to different places because we have things called addresses and they are publicly available. The internet has the same system. In my example, my comic and message board would be listed on search indexes and anyone who looks up the "address" can find it. In fact, I might try to manipulate those search indices to make sure that my website is very findable. That's what SEO is. Manipulating google and yahoo and whatever to make sure your website pops up in searches more often. It's just like looking up a street address.

So then, ok, what's the Darkweb/darknet? Well first let's define what people call the "Deep Web". This is not the Darknet, although people fuck up and use the terms interchangeably. The Deep Web simply refers to areas of the internet that are not publicly searchable. While the metaphor isn't perfect, you can think of these as gated communities. You can find them, if you have the address, but you're probably not going to be able to get in, because you need a password/login. An example of this would be a library database or government shit. It's technically there, but it isn't listed in search engines (usually), and even if you know the address, you're not getting in. But you're still connecting to and accessing these sites in the same way you would my comic and message board.

The Darknet is even a further step removed from normal internet access. It, just like the Deep Web, is not listed on any search services. You have to know exactly what you're looking for to get to it. But on top of that, you also need a special tool to even access it once you know where to look. The most popular tool for this is TOR. TOR is just a browser that adds in layers of encryption to try and provide anonymity to the searching. And that's the point of the Darknet. The sites need direct knowledge to be accessed, but they also (theoretically) provide anonymity to everyone using it. In the map example, imagine if you needed to not only drive to the location, but you built the road as you drove, and it disappeared as you made your way to the location. That's what TOR does. You aren't exchanging ip information when you access the site, making tracking you very difficult. it is not, however, impossible.

As you can imagine, that anonymity is beneficial to people for different reasons. Could be criminal, could be political, or maybe just because they like the privacy of it.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Where else are you going to buy your drugs, guns, and random child? Walmart? Not at those prices+

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cursedking im pretty sure the internet is a series of tubes.

So I guess it's a conga line of hedgehogs???

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Posting on the dork web rn

get off my computer bucko

• Options
    why is Google translate offering to translate this page from Vietnamese for me

This discussion has been closed.