As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kirk Cameron: Best thing to happen to atheism. Ever.

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just in case you missed it, our Banana Theory friend Kirk Cameron (washed up actor, for the young) has made yet another earth-shattering announcement:

The nonexistence of Crockoducks is proof that God exists.

(Link to the youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQHCVaYNr9c

How are people like this allowed to get air time? Why is O'Reilly still on the air? I mean, is it just me (being of the non-creationist segment) finding this to be completely ridiculous? Are Fox News viewers so far in the dark that they sit there and nod in agreement to this?

Somebody please preserve my sanity or show me the light. My brain is a few cycles away from BSODing (I haven't upgraded to Vista yet).

jungleroomx on

• ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow.

Shinto on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    O'Reiley also tries to say that he beat Dawkins in his ridiculous "debate" he had with him.

LavaKnight on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    I'll watch it later, 'cause I don't want to stop listening to the Tribe right now, but was this it?
    wikipedia wrote:
    Cameron also appeared on The O'Reilly Factor on April 12, 2006.
    ?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    I'll watch it later, 'cause I don't want to stop listening to the Tribe right now, but was this it?
    wikipedia wrote:
    Cameron also appeared on The O'Reilly Factor on April 12, 2006.
    ?

No, this is fresh from the on-line ABC news "Does God Exist" debate, where they managed to bring together 4 of the most ridiculously stupid people on this planet to debate something that is, by nature, impossible to debate.

jungleroomx on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    Crocoducks.

Fucking Christ.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man.

The picture... I want it.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arguments about the existence of god haven't changed since I started using the internet 10 years ago.

Everybody is just repeating the same things over and over and over again; it's like an enormous intellectual circle jerk.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Arguments about the existence of god haven't changed since I started using the internet 10 years ago.

Everybody is just repeating the same things over and over and over again; it's like an enormous anti-intellectual circle jerk.

Fixed.

Doc on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Everybody is just repeating the same things over and over and over again; it's like an enormous intellectual circle jerk.

Yes.

This is more of "Why the fuck are people listening to this man?", and less about God really.

I mean.... crockoducks. Fucking what?

jungleroomx on
  • NanaNana Fuzzy Little Yeti Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm really not understanding the 'there has to be a designer' and look there are no crocoducks!
    Does that mean that there is no designer since they don't exist?

What was the argument against evolution he was trying to make with crocoducks? All I got from it was, stuff transitions into one another so there should be crocoducks?

Nana on
    3DS Friend Code: 3823-8688-4581
    edited May 2007
    Oh man.

The picture... I want it.

This one's similar:

crocoduck.jpg

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Intelligent design is SO last year.

Of course, Kirk Cameron is SO 1985, so I guess for him intelligent design is still pretty hot.

supabeast on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    crocoduck.gif

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Nana wrote: »
    I'm really not understanding the 'there has to be a designer' and look there are no crocoducks!

What was the argument against evolution he was trying to make with crocoducks? All I got from it was, stuff transitions into one another so there should be crocoducks?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4

This is the person we are dealing with.

Doc on
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He says "gaythiests" at the very beginning. Accident, or Freudian slip?
    P.S. The same argument can be used to say that, say, termites are intelligent because they create mounds that look cool. They look cool, ergo, DESIGNERS?!

...I love how he says "there's been a lot of intolerance in the religious circles too..." as if he's going to humble himself, then says "look at the jihadists." Also, wasn't he supposed to debate athiests at some point? He just acted like a moron and then apparently Bill went off to get drunk.

Dance Commander on
    edited May 2007

They also said their proof that evolution is not real is that there have never ever been helpful mutations, and all mutations are harmful.

jungleroomx on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Doc wrote: »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4

This is the person we are dealing with.
    I love how they didn't bother to read the banana article on wikipedia and find out how that is a domesticated banana.

Couscous on
    edited May 2007

They also said their proof that evolution is not real is that there have never ever been helpful mutations, and all mutations are harmful.

Do we have any documented examples of specific mutations that were helpful?

ElJeffe on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Honestly, I've never understood why there must necessarily be "transitional" animals. It's not like there were animals that existed just to be a stepping stone between two archtypes; each animal was complete, and survived on its own, or it died before it got a chance to evolve into anything else. Cameron proposed that there's never been an animal that's halfway between two animals; could that be because that third animal was also... another animal?

I wonder how he explains archeopteryx.

Also; if a watch implies a watchmaker, and an eye implies an eyemaker, does an appendix imply an appendixmaker?

Tarantio on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I think the idea was that since birds evolved from reptiles, there should be some sort of animal that is between a reptile and a bird, like a crocoduck.

Pterodactyl OLOL

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Well, my girly eyelashes are considered a mutation, and they've helped me get laid.

Does that count?

jungleroomx on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I love the peanut butter video.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited May 2007

For example, a specific 32 base pair deletion in human CCR5 (CCR5-32) confers HIV resistance to homozygotes and delays AIDS onset in heterozygotes.[1] The CCR5 mutation is more common in those of European descent. One theory for the etiology of the relatively high frequency of CCR5-32 in the European population is that it conferred resistance to the bubonic plague in mid-14th century Europe.[2]

Couscous on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ugh...the eye thing again.

TOO COMPLEX! TOO COMPLEX!

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited May 2007

Wow, They must have not done any research before presenting these theories...

Nana on
    edited May 2007
    Some people don't have wisdom teeth!

Dance Commander on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some people don't have wisdom

Fixed

Tastyfish on
    edited May 2007
    Some people don't have wisdom teeth!

Some people are born without tonsils, too. Well, they have them, but they aren't developed at all, so they appear to be absent. Not sure if that helps to prevent inflammations.

Doc on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Vestigial organs are pretty solid evidence against creation too. Why did god make it frustrating to open a coconut, and why do we have useless things inside of us when the space could be better utilized?

Because we're complex? Shit, the logic is stupid whichever way you look at it.

LavaKnight on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Some people don't have teeth!

Fixed

Double fixed.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited May 2007
    Proto wrote: »

What I don't like about the watchmaker comment is that, somehow, nature is completely incapable of doing delicate operations.

It's a very anthropological.

jungleroomx on
    edited May 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Honestly, I've never understood why there must necessarily be "transitional" animals. It's not like there were animals that existed just to be a stepping stone between two archtypes; each animal was complete, and survived on its own, or it died before it got a chance to evolve into anything else. Cameron proposed that there's never been an animal that's halfway between two animals; could that be because that third animal was also... another animal?

He's pretty much lying through his teeth on that one. There are plenty of fossils that show transition. In fact, they ALL do.

Proto on
    edited May 2007
    The most famous example of a helpful mutation is the gene for sickle
    cell disease, which has the ability to protect carriers from malaria.
    Malaria is common in Africa, and this gene is common in people of African
    ancestry. It appears that the malaria protection in heterozygotes, people
    carrying one copy of the gene, was so useful that the gene was preserved in
    the population because people carrying the trait survived to have more
    children, on average. This benefit existed in spite of the fact that
    children carrying two copies of the gene were afflicted with sickle cell
    anemia.

Nana on
    edited May 2007
    Proto wrote: »

What I don't like about the watchmaker comment is that, somehow, nature is completely incapable of doing delicate operations.

It's a very anthropological.

The eye thing MAKES NO SENSE. There are loads of examples of creatures with simple light sensing organs, proto-eyes, etc.

Proto on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    woo athiesm! *high five* Lets all throw a kegger later and slap each others backs some more!

Crockaduck aside...(because honestly, that was just retarded)

Both Camerons and Rileys arguments echo a majority of the populations sentimates. You can believe they are wrong, thats cool. But to throw out questions like "how is this shit on the air!?" is ridiculous since a majority of people agree with the arguments they are making.

And, admittedly the creationism argument hasnt evolved because it hasnt been sucessfully countered. The argument that a design at the very least implies a designer is hard to dubunk. On the flip side, the athiest argument hasnt evolved much either. Its still very much "speghetti monster!!!"

I will say, athiests do spend a lot more time high fiving each other and insulting people who believe in a God. So, I guess thats an evolution of their argument. Cause, it certainly makes it LOOK like you are winning.

Seriously though...crockaducks?

And heres something that will throw my credibility right out the window....

Why the fuck dont we have tails? Honestly. If we came from a common ancestor as monkeys, why dont we have tails? Im not saying this to imply we didnt, I believe we did, I just literally want an answer to no tails for us. Like, I dont understand why evolution would have split at tail vs no tail. I get we dont need tails, but how could a lack of tails have been a positive thing at all? How could the mutation which caused a lack of tails have been the surviving species that became man? Unless this loss of tail somehow came with other mutations I dont understand how it would be beneficial. Tails kick ass. I suppose we could have been forced to adapt to the ground better since we lost tails, but thats a bit of a stretch, youd think the tail having creatures wouldve swooped down from the trees and fucked the non-tailers up. It doesnt add up to me.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, but the bigger issue is that there needn't be a direct genetic path between any two pairs of animals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetic_tree

Dance Commander on
    edited May 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »
    And, admittedly the creationism argument hasnt evolved because it hasnt been sucessfully countered. The argument that a design at the very least implies a designer is hard to dubunk.
    No, it's not. It's not hard at all. That's exactly what evolution is--intelligent design without intelligence!

How about this? You're not allowed to debunk widely accepted scientific fact without understanding said fact. And furthermore, focusing on evolution in a discussion about belief in a higher power is really disingenuous. Belief in science and evolution doesn't preclude belief in God. It's a false dichotomy.

Dance Commander on
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We do have vestigal tails. Just like horses still have 3 or 4 toes but walk on one fingernail.

Mom2Kat on
    edited May 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »
    ed)

Both Camerons and Rileys arguments echo a majority of the populations sentimates. You can believe they are wrong, thats cool. But to throw out questions like "how is this shit on the air!?" is ridiculous since a majority of people agree with the arguments they are making.

The majority of people do not agree with him. The majority of people in the USA accept evolution.

Couscous on
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    For example, a specific 32 base pair deletion in human CCR5 (CCR5-32) confers HIV resistance to homozygotes and delays AIDS onset in heterozygotes.[1] The CCR5 mutation is more common in those of European descent. One theory for the etiology of the relatively high frequency of CCR5-32 in the European population is that it conferred resistance to the bubonic plague in mid-14th century Europe.[2]

Sweet.

ElJeffe on
This discussion has been closed.