As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ragnarok Online: What's it like?

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Hey. I'm been considering trying out an MMORPG for awhile, and i've taken a look at the website of Ragnarok Online. I'm a little wary about trying one of these again, as my experiences with Everquest and
FF11 didn't go very well, plus I really don't have much interest in World of Warcraft.

I'm hoping to find a game where I CAN put together a team of adventurers to go out and fight and plunder, and such, but I don't have to (in case I just want to go out and level up for awhile), and i've heard RO has this. I like the classes it offers (though there is only one race). So I wanted to ask, is there anybody around here who's played the game, and can tell me a little about it? Can you buy a copy of the game, and install it on your Computer? Or do you have to download it off the internet? (as it's website seems to imply)

Matthew on
«134

Posts

  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's like AIDs.

    Basically.

    If you don't mind playing with 14 year olds that hack their e-boyfriends accounts and sell their stuff so they can buy kitty ears, go download it and pay the monthly fee. It's a Korean MMO, so don't plan on hitting the max level unless you don't go outside.

    Sara Lynn on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You download it off the website and it does have a monthly fee, assuming you play on legit servers. Do you like grinds? Because if so this game is perfect for you as the grind is probably worse than FFXI and even if it isn't its boring as well. You can solo the whole way to level 99 and then back again, you can group as well but for the most part is easier to solo. MVPs, essentially bosses, are all done with a group and theres certain areas that are optimized for a group instead of solo play. Emperium War is the PvP of the game and occurs twice a week I believe where guilds try to take over castles. You pretty much have to be in a guild to do anything in it and for the most part it tends to be a zerg. I played for a extremely long time and enjoyed it, but if you don't have friends playing or can't get in a high end guild I think a lot of the fun would be gone as your not going to have a chance at getting the high end items/cards.

    edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that their essential hero classes in the game. As in you get to 99 in your class and then start back over and have to relevel but you end up a lot more powerful. Your coming in really late and chances are that no one is going to want to group with a normal class and the grind to 99 is pretty damn long.

    khain on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO wasn't too bad, wasn't too great either though.

    If you want a decent MMO that provides both group and solo adventuring, you could try out Knight Online. It's fairly decent.

    Also, Space Cowboy is fantastic for an MMO.

    Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I liked RO. I didn't like that certain stats were entirely worthless, however (talking about VIT here). If you're interested in playing it I'd suggest you wait, as RO2 will be in Beta soon. Sometime. Eventually.

    Pb on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, AnimaRO is the same thing but a free server. You should give it a try, 'cause it's actually really fun.

    Drunk_caterpillar on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, AnimaRO is the same thing but a free server. You should give it a try, 'cause it's actually really fun.

    I dunno how allowed we are to talk about free servers on this forum, but a free server is the only way to play RO in my opinion.

    It's just a grindfest, very pretty looking though. Only worth it if you have friends to play with, or will make friends quickly. Most free servers also have global chat, so that lessens boredom of grinding a lot.

    Basically, it's not worth the monthly fee. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But it can be pretty fun.

    tehmarken on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    just find a free server with an xp mod of 1000 or somthing. That way it only take 2 or 3 hours to max out.

    Hey wait, that means that if you were on a server that was a normal xp mod it would take 2000 or 3000 hours to hit max level.

    Assuming you could just kill the same monster over and over and not have to find new monsters. EEW

    Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had always just assumed that AnimaRO was a legit server that was subsidized by the owner. Maybe I'm just nuts though.

    Drunk_caterpillar on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ro was my first mmo, i think it gave me herpes.

    of course i played this several years ago, i dont know what they have done to it lately, but when i played they stuck me on a server with about 10,000 thai people who ran around yelling 555 U THAI? I THAI! 555!!!!!!!!

    TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD.


    BAD

    Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ro was my first mmo, i think it gave me herpes.

    of course i played this several years ago, i dont know what they have done to it lately, but when i played they stuck me on a server with about 10,000 thai people who ran around yelling 555 U THAI? I THAI! 555!!!!!!!!

    Yeah, things went downhill with the Thai invasion during the second beta. It's not a game I'd play solo. I played RO for like 2 years with the same two people, and once they quit I got out of it too.

    Pb on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    ro was my first mmo, i think it gave me herpes.

    of course i played this several years ago, i dont know what they have done to it lately, but when i played they stuck me on a server with about 10,000 thai people who ran around yelling 555 U THAI? I THAI! 555!!!!!!!!

    Yeah, things went downhill with the Thai invasion during the second beta. It's not a game I'd play solo. I played RO for like 2 years with the same two people, and once they quit I got out of it too.

    i enjoyed the first beta before second tier classes were in, acolyte tank ftw

    TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO was just a grind with kawaii junk thrown in there.

    it sucked.

    AHH! on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's already been said, but what the OP said he's looking for describes World of Warcraft to a T. Might as well break down and give it a try, the core game is down to $19.99 last I checked.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    on the plus side, you get to date 14 years olds

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I found RO enjoyable mainly for the fact that it a) give me the impetus to program for one of the major emulator projects, and b) gave me just enough desire to give WoW a try in its open beta.

    It is frankly too low-tech, grindy, and uncomplicated (in its current implementation) to be worth the monthly fee. If you're willing to pay for that, or find it cute enough, then good for you, but...in all seriousness, the only way to play it enjoyably is when the grinding aspect is taken away. Ahem. There are methods.

    tuxkamen on

    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    on the plus side, you get to date 14 years olds

    Tonight, on "To Catch a Predator" we bring you our thrilling capture of Alfred J. Kwak!
    :P

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    on the plus side, you get to date 14 years olds

    Tonight, on "To Catch a Predator" we bring you our thrilling capture of Alfred J. Kwak!
    :P

    Hey, that's legal age where I live
    srsly

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    on the plus side, you get to date 14 years olds

    Tonight, on "To Catch a Predator" we bring you our thrilling capture of Alfred J. Kwak!
    :P

    Hey, that's legal age where I live
    srsly

    Like that'll stop them from putting you on the show. :lol:

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I couldn't recommend getting into this game. It's a cruel, cruel grind from start to finish. WoW's not that bad at all but if I were you I'd wait another 7-9 months for W:AR, it looks rather nice indeed.

    Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    ro was my first mmo, i think it gave me herpes.

    of course i played this several years ago, i dont know what they have done to it lately, but when i played they stuck me on a server with about 10,000 thai people who ran around yelling 555 U THAI? I THAI! 555!!!!!!!!

    Yeah, things went downhill with the Thai invasion during the second beta. It's not a game I'd play solo. I played RO for like 2 years with the same two people, and once they quit I got out of it too.

    i enjoyed the first beta before second tier classes were in, acolyte tank ftw

    Nah, I love my Int Priest way too much. The regen you get on 120 Int plus, Magnus Exorcismus and Lex Aeterna were too good to pass up.

    Pb on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My main was a priest. Some strange not-quite-optimized ME hybrid. It was good back in the glory days of Glast Heim farming.

    tuxkamen on

    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO.jpg

    I made that a while back.

    Probably the MMO I spent the most time on just because of its simplicity.

    Meiz on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nobody ever said "You lvl?" I always got "u lv??"

    Pb on
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    From my experience of playing RO, it is filled with weeaboos.

    But it has its moments.

    <3 on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm remembering ro now, i also enjoyed my battle priest who beat up a knight with his bare hands, it was funny

    but also every time someone mentions ro or thailand i have about a 15 minute rant about it

    it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth

    TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would have loved to roll a monk, I enjoyed them the most while trying to get their skills working in our...'project'.

    I got a big ol' smile on my face the day that I managed to get the Ashura Strike graphics to show up.

    tuxkamen on

    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO was my first MMO. It is nothing more expansive than the very basic and generic classes and roles you will find in other games and settings. The mobs have stupid AI and don't do much. There is nothing to the game outside of walking out of town and attacking mobs until your eyes bleed. No questgiver to tell you to save his farm or give a reason for killing those porings - you just do it.

    Despite your impressions of WoW, it really sounds like the MMO you are looking for.

    Otherwise, you're not looking for an MMO. You want a different type of game.

    KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO is like AIDs spread heavily on Weeaboo Toast with a dash of Under-16 "Young Adults" with a full cup of Sphincter Cancer.

    The Weeaboo Toast is a full loaf by the way, a comically huge loaf.

    kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    Zephyr_Fate on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO is a horrible fucking grind. Getting from 94 to 95 is equal to getting through 1-80. You will not have fun if you do not have money. WoE is apparently fun, though.

    tyrannus on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    Saying RO isn't a grind and playing on private servers, not to mention hacking in the same breath, doesn't really get that point across.

    Unless you were a mage or had a party with a healer, things were rather slow.

    Meiz on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cojones wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend getting into this game. It's a cruel, cruel grind from start to finish. WoW's not that bad at all but if I were you I'd wait another 7-9 months for W:AR, it looks rather nice indeed.


    What exactly is W:AR?

    Matthew on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    Saying RO isn't a grind and playing on private servers, not to mention hacking in the same breath, doesn't really get that point across.

    Unless you were a mage or had a party with a healer, things were rather slow.

    I knew someone would try to be smart and misread what I said. I meant hacking as in attacking with a sword.

    I've played on servers that have the EXACT same rates as iRO(1/1/1). It's really not that bad.

    Zephyr_Fate on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    That is a completely meaningless statement when every server you play on (by your own admission!) could have a different experience rate multiplier. Assuming vanilla RO, it is a pain in the ass to level to 99, let alone do it twice for rebirth classes, unless you have a group/guild helping you by farming some rapidly-spawning boss like Arcangelring or whatever it was that I remember being used.

    tuxkamen on

    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's a very good chance that I played on 1/1/1 servers.

    MAYBE. :D

    Zephyr_Fate on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    Saying RO isn't a grind and playing on private servers, not to mention hacking in the same breath, doesn't really get that point across.

    Unless you were a mage or had a party with a healer, things were rather slow.

    I knew someone would try to be smart and misread what I said. I meant hacking as in attacking with a sword.

    I've played on servers that have the EXACT same rates as iRO(1/1/1). It's really not that bad.

    I'm not trying to be smart. What did you just decide to throw the word hacking out there hoping for someone's misinterpretation to get your point across? I don't know, we're talking about RO and when someone mentions hacking, anyone who's played that game would have the same reaction I did.

    Meiz on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Matthew wrote: »
    Cojones wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend getting into this game. It's a cruel, cruel grind from start to finish. WoW's not that bad at all but if I were you I'd wait another 7-9 months for W:AR, it looks rather nice indeed.


    What exactly is W:AR?

    Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

    www.warhammeronline.com

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DON'T

    GET

    INTO

    RAGNAROK


    JESUS CHRIST PLEASE FUCKING NO

    PLEASE GOD I HAVE PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 6 YEARS NOW, I KNOW IT'S THE WRONG CHOICE.

    but I keep making the wrong choice..

    silversh4d0w on
Sign In or Register to comment.