Options

Ragnarok Online: What's it like?

24

Posts

  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's a very good chance that I played on 1/1/1 servers.

    MAYBE. :D

    Easy yardstick: If you killed your very first Poring at L1 and that leveled you up, it wasn't 1/1/1.

    (Also, if it dropped eight Poring Cards and ten thousand Zeny, you might not be playing a legit drop rate.)

    tuxkamen on

    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Meiz wrote: »
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    Saying RO isn't a grind and playing on private servers, not to mention hacking in the same breath, doesn't really get that point across.

    Unless you were a mage or had a party with a healer, things were rather slow.

    I knew someone would try to be smart and misread what I said. I meant hacking as in attacking with a sword.

    I've played on servers that have the EXACT same rates as iRO(1/1/1). It's really not that bad.

    I'm not trying to be smart. What did you just decide to throw the word hacking out there hoping for someone's misinterpretation to get your point across? I don't know, we're talking about RO and when someone mentions hacking, anyone who's played that game would have the same reaction I did.

    Or, uh, you could realize I just replaced "slashing" with "pwning"...:/

    Edit: I'VE PLAYED A 1/1/1 SERVER THAT WAS 1/1/1 WITH iRO DROP RATES.

    Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    So, I think what he's saying is that I lied about being able to solo your way up easily in WoW. At no point do you ever have to group up to level, because there is an absolute plethora of quests that are easily soloable from the first level to the last, and beyond. I've done it. Twice, in fact. Mostly because I absolutely hate pugging it through instances and elite quests, but also because it was pretty fucking easy.

    Of course, the option is there. Getting a good group and running, say, Wailing Caverns, can be incredibly rewarding and fun. It's the group that's the hard part. Fucking Barrens.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Meiz wrote: »
    I know you said you're not interested in it, but there's a reason WoW is as popular as it is. You can solo your way to 70 (60 without the expansion) very easily. Players are numerous, so guilds are plentiful and varied, many of them doing the end-game stuff now that they don't require 40 people. It's a bit grindy, but not nearly as bad as, say FFXI.

    From all my experiences with it, RO is almost entirely unenjoyable. The opposite of fun, in many cases. If you're interested, there's always stuff like WWIIO and Asheron's Call, which still have communities. I'd personally recommend AC, because I had a blast with it when the whole MMO thing really took off. Seeing screen-shots of it brings back some great memories nowadays.

    That's the biggest lie ever.

    RO is not that much of a grind, if you know where to go. In fact, you can hit level cap in a couple weeks, tops.

    RO is pretty fucking fun, though. I spent over 2 years on it, switching between different mains. Of course, I played the private servers. However, some of the best guilds I've ever been in have been on RO. It was a lot of fun hacking and pwning with my best friend. Good times.

    Saying RO isn't a grind and playing on private servers, not to mention hacking in the same breath, doesn't really get that point across.

    Unless you were a mage or had a party with a healer, things were rather slow.

    I knew someone would try to be smart and misread what I said. I meant hacking as in attacking with a sword.

    I've played on servers that have the EXACT same rates as iRO(1/1/1). It's really not that bad.

    I'm not trying to be smart. What did you just decide to throw the word hacking out there hoping for someone's misinterpretation to get your point across? I don't know, we're talking about RO and when someone mentions hacking, anyone who's played that game would have the same reaction I did.

    Or, uh, you could realize I just replaced "slashing" with "pwning"...:/

    Edit: I'VE PLAYED A 1/1/1 SERVER THAT WAS 1/1/1 WITH iRO DROP RATES.

    DID YOU GET TO 90+?!?!?!?!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZIovo62HA

    :)

    silversh4d0w on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game sucks. Everything looks "salmon" (the color), and there's no gameplay outside of grinding very tedious mobs with very tedious attacks.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's not worth any sort of money, that's all I'll say about that.

    The gameplay is.. ok. I like to think of it as MSN + anime + killing stuff. The biggest problem (and there are many) is that there is no story. No quests (outside the ones that help you change levels, but they are uninteresting and extremely grindy) and no drive to do anything but.. kill.

    If you treat it as a time waster, it's decent. If you treat it as a game with substance, you will be sorely disappointed.

    Magus` on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We have an MMO thread >.<!

    Also, RO stinks.

    Edit: Play Tibia, if you're going to get wet you might as well swim. As far as adventuring goes, Tibia makes the BEST stories because all the monsters are stronger than you and there are always players trying to kill you at the same time. One time I wrote a book (in game) on an adventure me and my friends had, and 5 years later I found somebody with a volume of it that I had lost.

    I think I have all the copies now on one of my characters.

    Nowadays though there are a lot of hackers, and all the legendary characters are jerks. Back when Arieswar was king, it was awesome. Everybody would follow him around singing his praises throwing rose petals in his path. Now it's just "Wow, Bubbles gained another level? How expected."

    rayofash on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If your afraid of trying WoW because its popular, check out LOTRO. Its a fun game that is very soloable, and the fact that it was recently released means that you will not be behing by very much at all.

    Veevee on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO is basically one of the worst choices you can make in looking at an MMO. I can only compliment Ragnarok Online in one way: Their world/town designs were pretty. The character designs were kinda neat too, admittedly.

    But asthetics are not enough to make a game good. Terrible level rate, zero content.

    Henroid on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Check out Rubies of Eventide as well. It's made for partying, and the battle system is one of the most unique there is for an MMO.

    http://www.rubiesofeventide.com/home.html

    Plus it's free. Graphics are spiffy too:

    4.jpg

    12.jpg

    rayofash on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spiffy = Ass?

    Magus` on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Spiffy = Ass?

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    rayofash on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    I liked RO. I didn't like that certain stats were entirely worthless, however (talking about VIT here). If you're interested in playing it I'd suggest you wait, as RO2 will be in Beta soon. Sometime. Eventually.

    Closed Beta 3 in Korea. 100 000 test or something. Lots of info and screenies around. A few people from the website I get information on it from are in and report on it, its looking good.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait, wait, guys, why are you suggesting wow?

    It's cool to hate wow.

    Seriously though, just go play wow. iRO gave me tendonitis for a bit, that's how bad it is for diablo-esq clickfesting. Server numbers are on the decline. It's a constant and boring grind. The population is only marginally better than Gunbound. Sure you can SOLO to 99, but when you're playing a MMO, I think you're missing the point. It's a few dollars cheaper, but a whole lot worse than a lot of the other pay-to-play games. If you must play iRO, find a free server, or another clone of it somewhere that does the same.

    If you're determined to shell out 15 a month for an mmo, wow is the best choice for the op I'd say. Unless he's running a p2 with 64mb of ram.

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only thing that interests me about RO2 is that Yoko Kanno did the music for it. Isn't ROSE basically the some thing as RO2? Everybody jokes that ROSE stands for Ragnarok Online Second Edition.

    rayofash on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Wait, wait, guys, why are you suggesting wow?

    It's cool to hate wow.

    Seriously though, just go play wow. iRO gave me tendonitis for a bit, that's how bad it is for diablo-esq clickfesting. Server numbers are on the decline. It's a constant and boring grind. The population is only marginally better than Gunbound. Sure you can SOLO to 99, but when you're playing a MMO, I think you're missing the point. It's a few dollars cheaper, but a whole lot worse than a lot of the other pay-to-play games. If you must play iRO, find a free server, or another clone of it somewhere that does the same.

    If you're determined to shell out 15 a month for an mmo, wow is the best choice for the op I'd say. Unless he's running a p2 with 64mb of ram.

    I can't emphasize that enough. If you already use your computer a lot, RO is not going to be very friendly on your wrists. It took them a while to shortcut some things that used to be clickyclicky, and even then you have to hold down the mouse button to move. It will strain you if you play it a lot.

    tuxkamen on

    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you Ctrl+Click it would auto attack, so it's not THAT bad.

    Pb on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's it like?

    A big fat grind, that's what.

    Avoid it like the plague.

    Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pb, it's about looting, not attacking.

    Go play RO2 when it comes out :D

    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    The only thing that interests me about RO2 is that Yoko Kanno did the music for it. Isn't ROSE basically the some thing as RO2? Everybody jokes that ROSE stands for Ragnarok Online Second Edition.

    RO2 takes the job change thing and lets you take skills from previous jobs that will benefit the current one. For example, take a warrior to 99 and get some good skills, such as one that increases accuracy or allows you to use a two handed sword.
    Job change to mage and you will have the option to use this two handed sword skill with your mage with the added accuracy skill as well. This is just a fun little example, but imagine some of the self buffs a character gets, like a priests move speed buff, and apply it to a mage. Or a mages anti something defence or certain utility spells like frozen, apply them to a warrior.
    There is a little box in your character that lets you slot the skills from other jobs into. It's kind of like a mini puzzle box, its 6X8 or something like that, and the skills have different shapes. So you can't just pick everything good off every character, some really good skills might take up the whole box. Others might have difficult shapes, making them hard to fit with other skills. In general you can fit about 3 skills.
    Skills also have the ability to get bonuses from equipping skills of another class. Eg Several warrior skills might benefit from a thiefs attack speed self buff skill if you whack it in that skill box and equip it.
    You can only use a skill you have learned on another job up to the level you learned it on the same character.
    Getting to 99 in every job wont mean you are uber, but it will mean you will have lots of different possible skill combinations.

    Stats are mostly job based this time around, and currently in the beta when you switch jobs you get all your stats back to reassign. So you aren't really stuck with your character in any way, and if you don't feel like being a warrior today, go be a thief and when you go back to your warrior you might have a new skill that will benefit the warrior. Certain skills are job specific however. No other class will ever get warrior taunt, it is unlikely another class will get thief backstab or stealth, a mages massive aoe spells or a healers major heal/super buffing spells. You get diversity but your favourite job doesn't become obsolete because a hugely dodge thief decides to grab taunt or something like that.

    Also currently the job changing is hell easy for the beta, but in the end it will probably be no more difficult than talent resetting in wow. Pay some gold to the appropriate trainer. I do know you will end up having to do quests to switch jobs to a new one the first time.
    Oh and if you do switch to a warrior to a thief then back to the warrior, your warrior will be the same level you left it. So you don't go back to 1 every time you change jobs, and neither will your thief when you go back to it again. There's no limit to jobs per character. The max level in RO2 will be char level 99, with all jobs maxed to 50. And probably then secondary jobs too, in the future. Note I don't actually know the max levels yet, nobody does, I'm just working with ro1 jobs so give you an idea of what they are doing. It's probably going to be 99 in all but currently the beta only lets you hit 50.
    That a shit of a lot of levelling you can do that will still benefit your character, and going back to to do another job once you hit 50 can and usually will benefit one you have previously gotten to 50. However, as I said, not every skill is possible to use at the same time, so just because you only have two level 50 jobs doesn't mean you are gimped compared to someone who has every job at 50, because the really powerful cross-job skills will probably take up the whole box. The other super leveller guy just gets more flexibility in how he mixes up his character.
    This game will eat korea alive. And severely crimp my social life when it comes out here.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hello, my name is Valkun and I am a former user of RO.

    I've gone for over two years without taking a hit.

    In all seriousness, it's not bad per se, but it's certainly showing its age. The leveling grind wasn't what bothered me, it was the item hunting. I can personally attest to spending months in a single map trying to get my ex her Whisper Card. Then the much more difficult challenge of getting my grand cross crusader his Angelring card.

    Like other people have said, unless you have a group of friends playing you might as well pick something else.

    Valkun on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't want to fucking talk about trying to get a Whisper card for my Agi Knight. I did finally manage to get him a 2hs sword with two of the +crit cards, but by that time I was pretty much done.

    Pb on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My gf wanted the black cat ears, which is kind of like wanting hawaii.

    Like 9 million? I tried for hours just to get the ones that you need to turn into the black cat ears.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh, if your experiences with your past MMOs weren't good, Ragnarok Online is the last place you'll ever want to go.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No. Just no

    Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Try Lord of the Rings online.

    Lots of group quests, although the solo quests slow way down around 30, they are adding a whole zone to fix that in june? (or july)

    $15 a month, best damn community I have ever been in, and while not overly taxing, it does require you to think. Plus all the classes rock, even the ministrals (healers), although Lore Masters could use a tweak.

    Plenty of guys have buddy keys if you want to try it out, just post in the LOTRO thread.

    MrIamMe on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ultima Online is pretty good, there's always something to do, and so many places to explore.

    rayofash on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If we're going to recommend great MMOs, might as well say Granado Espada and not mention anything else. It goes into Pre Open Beta on the 17th.

    Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Care to back that claim up with evidence Zephyr?

    Not that I'm calling you out, I actually am curious.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://www.granadoespada.sg/en/

    I haven't played it, but an MMO where you control a group of 3 and is so full of frilly clothes can not be bad.

    Veevee on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's pretty bad. I'd advise against it.

    Playing this game is like simultaneously wrestling the UI, code, and grind all so that you can... grind.

    There are a couple of good aspects about it that I'd like to see elsewhere, but... for the most part, this game really is just designed to hurt its users.

    Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    http://www.granadoespada.sg/en/

    I haven't played it, but an MMO where you control a group of 3 and is so full of frilly clothes can not be bad.

    Also, you can RECRUIT NPCs!!

    Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RO stole my MMO virginity.

    Whatever you do, don't roll a girl toon.

    EVER.

    PERIOD.

    RO was a sado-masochistic grindfest, but, to be honest, I loved most of it.

    65 Crit Hunter, 63 Sin, 64 Rogue, 48 Mage, and a deleted 59 Knight.

    A couple of things.

    If you do decide to commit suicide via RO, please for the love of god make a Rogue first. As any RO vet can see, I have two money vacuums, and one, my Dagger Sin, was my first character.

    Also, DO NOT BE MAKING A FEMALE TOON. If you choose female you can never change it again ever. Also, /tells from Honry 12 year old boys who don't know what "I have a penis" means.

    Or don't care.

    Either one.

    Transporter on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, looking at the pics, it does look like something I can get into. What are the costs for it monthly? I rather play official servers than the "free" ones.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, looking at the pics, it does look like something I can get into. What are the costs for it monthly? I rather play official servers than the "free" ones.

    Why does it seem like you base your judgement of a game purely on whether or not the developers have slanty eyes?

    Was that too racist?

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, looking at the pics, it does look like something I can get into. What are the costs for it monthly? I rather play official servers than the "free" ones.

    Why does it seem like you base your judgement of a game purely on whether or not the developers have slanty eyes?

    Was that too racist?

    I liked the art and the character designs. That and plus I saw a couple of RO Figures in Japan and always wondered what it was. Finding this topic sealed this deal for me.

    Edit: I do think it was racist, but I won't report you. I will let the other people make judgements on that.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I find it funny that it "sealed the deal" despite all the negatives of the game.

    Play on, enjoy, but it's still confounding.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just a warning:
    If you plan on playing on a legit server, get your build set up ahead of time. And on top of that, if you try to innovate, prepare to be insulted.
    I am not even kidding. Before Spear Knights with lots of vitality were popular(thanks to their ascended class using primarily spears) it was agility(which did fuck-all for a Knight) or nothing.
    About 98% of the RO population follows the "OMG AGI OR U SUX" mentality.

    The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I find it funny that it "sealed the deal" despite all the negatives of the game.

    Play on, enjoy, but it's still confounding.

    Name a game which doesn't have a single freaking negative. Good God Man! Everything has bad points, deal with it.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Just a warning:
    If you plan on playing on a legit server, get your build set up ahead of time. And on top of that, if you try to innovate, prepare to be insulted.
    I am not even kidding. Before Spear Knights with lots of vitality were popular(thanks to their ascended class using primarily spears) it was agility(which did fuck-all for a Knight) or nothing.
    About 98% of the RO population follows the "OMG AGI OR U SUX" mentality.

    Ah I see. I don't know the classes yet, still have to research my characters and the choices. But I will keep that in mind.

    Katchem_ash on
Sign In or Register to comment.