As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

It's a cool skin but I don't think it fits with the overall aesthetic they've been trying to give her at all. If it has some unique voices lines that make fun of Reaper then i would be more on board though.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    what makes a character good at anti-dive
    1. takes away mobility - some sort of root instead of a full stun, something like junks trap but have it be AE, her stun is really powerful and in many cases puts her in a better position than mccree. also allows a team to focus something down fast.
    2. reposition - knockback like a boop or her flail help take someone away from helping but get her boop does a decent chunk of damage. I'd say get rid of the damage on it and maybe if someone hits a wall, that could cause damage but the hit itself shouldn't maybe?
    3. protection - her ae healing in a radius really helps against the dive and that can she move a short distance quickly means she can get to a teammate fast. maybe she shouldn't self heal like ana can only self heal with the nade.

so yeah, she's strong, we all agree right?

Brig's real power against dive is actually Rally. Giving armor to your whole team when half of dive characters get completely fucked by armor is super strong.

People complain about Brig because they can't fucking stand when a healer can kill them. They bitched about Moira too. What baffles me is how no one seems to understand how to counter her. I can't count how many games I play in comp where towards the end they enemy has a Brig to counter mine. Spoiler alert PLAY PHARAH YOU IDIOTS. Or at least Junkrat. Or or Hanzo, the actual strongest character in the game right now.

Edit: Also pro tip. DON"T STAND NEXT TO HER. Literally everyone else has guns, shoot her outside her range, and the only person who doesn't have a gun, does a fuckload more damage than she does.

Hell, even Zarya with at least a little energy can make a Brig fall back, just plop some right-clicks slightly to her side and watch the splash damage go "lol what shield"

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

It's a cool skin but I don't think it fits with the overall aesthetic they've been trying to give her at all. If it has some unique voices lines that make fun of Reaper then i would be more on board though.

Making fun of Edgelord McGrimDark is always a nice touch.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    They stopped doing the Chrome/Blue/Carbon fiber skins because they're not going to entice anyone besides completionists to buy a digital pass to Blizzcon. If they have rad as hell skins that you can only get by buying the passes a lot more people will do so. It's a marketing move.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    what makes a character good at anti-dive
    1. takes away mobility - some sort of root instead of a full stun, something like junks trap but have it be AE, her stun is really powerful and in many cases puts her in a better position than mccree. also allows a team to focus something down fast.
    2. reposition - knockback like a boop or her flail help take someone away from helping but get her boop does a decent chunk of damage. I'd say get rid of the damage on it and maybe if someone hits a wall, that could cause damage but the hit itself shouldn't maybe?
    3. protection - her ae healing in a radius really helps against the dive and that can she move a short distance quickly means she can get to a teammate fast. maybe she shouldn't self heal like ana can only self heal with the nade.

so yeah, she's strong, we all agree right?

Brig's real power against dive is actually Rally. Giving armor to your whole team when half of dive characters get completely fucked by armor is super strong.

People complain about Brig because they can't fucking stand when a healer can kill them. They bitched about Moira too. What baffles me is how no one seems to understand how to counter her. I can't count how many games I play in comp where towards the end they enemy has a Brig to counter mine. Spoiler alert PLAY PHARAH YOU IDIOTS. Or at least Junkrat. Or or Hanzo, the actual strongest character in the game right now.

Edit: Also pro tip. DON"T STAND NEXT TO HER. Literally everyone else has guns, shoot her outside her range, and the only person who doesn't have a gun, does a fuckload more damage than she does.

Hell, even Zarya with at least a little energy can make a Brig fall back, just plop some right-clicks slightly to her side and watch the splash damage go "lol what shield"

And Zarya with medium energy can also just hold down LMB and kill her shield nigh-instantly. The beam is super high DPS when you can't miss.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    They stopped doing the Chrome/Blue/Carbon fiber skins because they're not going to entice anyone besides completionists to buy a digital pass to Blizzcon. If they have rad as hell skins that you can only get by buying the passes a lot more people will do so. It's a marketing move.

Dick move, imo.

Okay I've never looked into the Blizzcon thing, but I am a completist and curious about this - how much would one have to pay to get this skin, if they're not physically attending Blizzcon?

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid

Dick move, imo.

Okay I've never looked into the Blizzcon thing, but I am a completist and curious about this - how much would one have to pay to get this skin, if they're not physically attending Blizzcon?

You would have to buy the virtual ticket, which in previous years has been $40.

edited September 2018
    Eugh, no.

I mean, if it was Tracer, yes - obviously - but ew, no.

Edit:

Chance on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

I actually really liked the Bastion one (couldn't get it, but wish I had). The Winston one wasn't great, admittedly, but there's a handful of other characters I think would look really good with Blizzard skins (for lack of a better name). Genji would be one of them, but he basically already has it as one of his epic quality skins.

But yeah, $40 is way too much for any skin. Personally speaking, $10 is the highest I'd go, but I feel like skins shouldn't go above $5 unless it also comes with unique animations, ability special effects, and/or voice overs.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Dick move, imo.

Says $69.95 for me, though I’m not sure if that’s already converted to Australian.

Way too high just to get a skin. I’m not big enough into Blizzard stuff to get more out of the ticket than the skin.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Oddly, my favorite part of Busan is the point where walls come up periodically. I like evolving terrain I guess?

I'm not convinced brig is over-powered, I think dive heroes got used to feeling like they could dominate healers on the back line more or less at will, and now that's not necessarily a given so it feels like injustice. Was less of a given when moira got added, and then outright zoned with brig. The quarterbacks needed a linebacker (I guess tanks would be the linebackers, defensive end? No Hanzo, you were not the quarterback...)! You'll get maced in the face and you'll like it. And like someone mentioned, she's extremely vulnerable from range by a number of characters. I don't follow the meta game with any sort of seriousness though, so .... Idk, Like any character she counters some and is countered by other picks. Don't expect to have a great game against your hard counter?

*Moira is clearly the quarterback, don't @ me.

soylenth on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The issue isn't that Brig is too good against dive, it's that she's too good against literally everyone if she gets within ten feet of you. A reaper that gets the drop on you you can respond to because he still has to space to land his shots and has a generous hitbox, Brig can just stand inside your model and hold down LMB as you die a slow and embarrassing death.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Fake news!

Demon Hunters can kill things.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    -Loki- wrote: »

Dick move, imo.

Says $69.95 for me, though I’m not sure if that’s already converted to Australian.

Way too high just to get a skin. I’m not big enough into Blizzard stuff to get more out of the ticket than the skin.

Yeah I just saw they added a $10 "because we can" tax this year so the virtual ticket will be $50US this year. For you it's probably adjusting for region.

How would you quantify that though? She's brutal at close range 1 on 1 yes, but I've killed many an over-extending brig and been killed myself going too aggressively after someone. With her shield down she's as vulnerable to headshots as anyone. That said, I wouldn't cry if they toned her down somehow, so long as she didn't suddenly feel like a free pick to a dps.

soylenth wrote: »
    How would you quantify that though? She's brutal at close range 1 on 1 yes, but I've killed many an over-extending brig and been killed myself going too aggressively after someone. With her shield down she's as vulnerable to headshots as anyone. That said, I wouldn't cry if they toned her down somehow, so long as she didn't suddenly feel like a free pick to a dps.

If I could change one thing, make her swing an actual arc so you need space properly to hit people with it and can't just bunnyhop on top of their head like a maniac without losing DPS.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    good news, the sombra skin will be available in the base game next year

uc3ufTB.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Dick move, imo.

Yeah I just saw they added a $10 "because we can" tax this year so the virtual ticket will be $50US this year. For you it's probably adjusting for region.

For 69.95, Mastodon better be opening.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

If I could change one thing, make her swing an actual arc so you need space properly to hit people with it and can't just bunnyhop on top of their head like a maniac without losing DPS.

so like a minimum range where she does no damage? That would be interesting.

edited September 2018

My one change would be one of either: nerfing her own self heal; or increasing the cd and/or cast time of repair pack.

The only remaining problem I find with Brig is you can't (efficiently) kill her and you can't ignore her.

So you can make her a little easier to kill in the scenarios where she's relying on her shield, her self heal and her cds coming back. In other words, make her easier to kill in those scenarios where she's just stalling and most any other hero in the game would have been dead long ago.

OR, you just nerf the repair pack. Because for all the talk about Brig being a bad healer, she has a unique healing ability unlike anything in the game except Ana. That hero who just now re-entered the meta because she just got a second source of burst healing. Funny that. But Ana's burst healing sources have punishable cooldowns. Brig's does not. 6 seconds just isn't long enough to say "repair pack on cd" and others to follow-up on the work you did forcing it out. If anything, using your valuable cds just to be nixed by RP is probably a net win for the Brig, not you. And the cast time is so fast it requires almost no prediction and a pretty damn average reaction time to get off. If you nerfed the cd or the cast time, at least all those heroes whose best option was "just stay away from her" could get work done elsewhere, y'know?

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Musicool wrote: »

My one change would be one of either: nerfing her own self heal; or increasing the cd and/or cast time of repair pack.

The only remaining problem I find with Brig is you can't (efficiently) kill her and you can't ignore her.

So you can make her a little easier to kill in the scenarios where she's relying on her shield, her self heal and her cds coming back. In other words, make her easier to kill in those scenarios where she's just stalling and most any other hero in the game would have been dead long ago.

OR, you just nerf the repair pack. Because for all the talk about Brig being a bad healer, she has a unique healing ability unlike anything in the game except Ana. That hero who just now re-entered the meta because she just got a second source of burst healing. Funny that. But Ana's burst healing sources have punishable cooldowns. Brig's does not. 6 seconds just isn't long enough to say "repair pack on cd" and others to follow-up on the work you did forcing it out. If anything, using your valuable cds just to be nixed by RP is probably a net win for the Brig, not you. And the cast time is so fast it requires almost no prediction and a pretty damn average reaction time to get off. If you nerfed the cd or the cast time, at least all those heroes whose best option was "just stay away from her" could get work done elsewhere, y'know?

Well, my suggestion is meant to make her more efficient to kill because it makes it possible (if still difficult) to headshot her when she's hitting you. While Armor Pack is a strong ability it's not really part of what makes her strong in the comps she's in, so nerfing it doesn't address the overarching issues. If like Armor Packing a Genji twice during Dragon Blade was a top strat I could see it, but afaik that's not really the case.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

Source? I can't find that anywhere.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    at the bottom of this press release:
    The in-game items for Overwatch, StarCraft II, and StarCraft: Remastered will also be available separately in 2019—further details will be announced at a later date.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

Source? I can't find that anywhere.

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/news/22484225

Bottom of the page.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If Rein stands in the center of the karaoke room in Busan's starting area, he starts singing? Do any other characters do this?

Also, I can't figure out which skin causes Mercy to say, "Back to square one" when she revives after dying. It's not the witch skin and it's not the Olympics skin.

I think that's just a stock Mercy respawn phrase.

Musicool wrote: »

Well, my suggestion is meant to make her more efficient to kill because it makes it possible (if still difficult) to headshot her when she's hitting you. While Armor Pack is a strong ability it's not really part of what makes her strong in the comps she's in, so nerfing it doesn't address the overarching issues. If like Armor Packing a Genji twice during Dragon Blade was a top strat I could see it, but afaik that's not really the case.

You could be right. I don't know exactly how Goats works or whether Repai Pack is crucial to that whole thing where, as Jayne says, "nothing dies without ultimates".

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Kupi wrote: »
    I think that's just a stock Mercy respawn phrase.

I haven't heard it in forever. I will try her default skin.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If Rein stands in the center of the karaoke room in Busan's starting area, he starts singing? Do any other characters do this?

Word is just Rein, which makes zero sense.

Obviously Genji and Hanzo should have a duet.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Tracer & Widowmaker

Soldier & Reaper (but what's the song?)

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Tracer & Widowmaker

Soldier & Reaper (but what's the song?)

My first thought goes to a Vietnam standby like Long Tall Sally, but what was the war soundtrack to the omnic crisis? We may never know, but I like to think modern roots-folk, making it retro by the time the war actually happened - thus, it would be One Man's Shame by William Elliott Whitmore.

In reality, they would not duet. Soldier would sing Born In The USA and Reaper would sing Crawling by Linkin Park.

(Searches for an image I know I've seen of Reaper singing Karaoke... I'm not at home on my laptop and don't have access to my art archive... well, that woulda' been funny anyway... I'mma' just post this.)

This is one of those times I wish I could both 'agree' and 'awesome' a post. Thanks for the cool song link, @Chance!

camo_sig2-400.png
    ^.^

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Comp game. Enemy team is 5 silvers and a bronze. Our team is 5 silvers and a gold, the gold being a 2 man with another silver. 2 whole tiers up? This should be a cakewalk, right?

The 2 man switches heroes every single death, like they're playing random. Also like random, it wasn't to fill any needed role, just random. Constant spamming voice lines the entire match. Half a dozen times I caught them just sitting out of spawn facing each other trying to teabag the other. Enemy team has 4 people capping the first point, and the 2 of them are sitting at the enemy spawn not even trying to come back to the point.

We lost. I end up losing thirty-two SR. The most I've ever won from a win is 28, with 20-24 being the average.

It's not my favorite activity to read about how the matchmaking system works ;_;

MrBody on
    Someone's trying to throw their way down to bronze I guess. That's brutal - I hope you reported.

I worry that my brother and I might get some hate from our teams. I've got the plat badge and he's in silver, so we always end up with a team of golds who probably expect me to hard carry, or expect him to scuttle our chances (he's not bad at all - he gets a ton of cards and PotGs, he just gets tunnel vision a lot).

I mean, on a very good day I can carry, but I can't hard carry an entire game, you still need to stay alive and help get picks and get on the point!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    at the bottom of this press release:
    The in-game items for Overwatch, StarCraft II, and StarCraft: Remastered will also be available separately in 2019—further details will be announced at a later date.

Thanks Papa Jeff. I really didn't want to have to jump through hoops for that DH skin, because it looks rad.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I really wish they'd have some kind of "super report" feature, or "this person belongs at least one league lower" report feature.

You only get one of them per 1-3 days so you can't use them lightly, but the receiver gets much closer scrutiny when they get one.

So, Jeff Kaplan says that Pharah changes might hit the PTR soon: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/are-we-going-to-see-any-pharah-changes-soon/209275/63

I've got nothing for a Department of Bad Ideas on this, but I kind of feel like something's going to happen with Concussive Blast. It has its uses, sure, but I've never been able to get the hang of dropping people off ledges with it, and 12 seconds for one slightly more confident rocket shot (because enemies who have been booped have a more predictable trajectory) is kind of underwhelming. Nor does it really function as a good way of scattering the enemy team.

Possibly up the kickback on the Concussive Blast and reduce the air-drag on affected targets for a bit, such that, whether it's the enemy or Pharah that it affects, you get more movement out of it?

This discussion has been closed.