As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think Pharah's pretty good where she is. The only change I want is for concussive blast to work on yourself when you're in spawn.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    So, Jeff Kaplan says that Pharah changes might hit the PTR soon: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/are-we-going-to-see-any-pharah-changes-soon/209275/63

I've got nothing for a Department of Bad Ideas on this, but I kind of feel like something's going to happen with Concussive Blast. It has its uses, sure, but I've never been able to get the hang of dropping people off ledges with it, and 12 seconds for one slightly more confident rocket shot (because enemies who have been booped have a more predictable trajectory) is kind of underwhelming. Nor does it really function as a good way of scattering the enemy team.

Possibly up the kickback on the Concussive Blast and reduce the air-drag on affected targets for a bit, such that, whether it's the enemy or Pharah that it affects, you get more movement out of it?

Concussive blast is best used as a personal mobility tool anyway, so any change designed to make it more useful against enemies will have minimal impact. As someone who plays a lot of Pharah, if they wanted to increase my personal boop distance and reduce it to like a 6-8 cooldown I wouldn't complain about that at all.

But yeah, she's generally in a pretty good place right now so I'm not sure what meaningful changes they could be thinking about. One thought I saw someone else post was to try and make her less reliant on Pharmercy at higher levels, without making her OP in general - they suggested giving her a certain amount of shields so she could stay in the air and take a little damage without needing Mercy to look after her, but it wouldn't make her any stronger against focused fire.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I think Pharah's pretty good where she is. The only change I want is for concussive blast to work on yourself when you're in spawn.

I'm pretty sure that change is already in as of last(?) patch.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    After how well they "fixed" Hanzo, I definitely got a little spike of anxiety at the thought of a Pharah change.

"Pharah was only strong with a Mercy attached, so we've given her additional survivability options that make it harder to kill her when a Mercy's not attached!"

"Yeah but... what happens to this new stronger Pharah when they've also got a Mercy attached?"

"We'll be monitoring your feedback closely because it's very important to us."

"This is OP as fuck."

"We feel Pharah's in a much better place, now."

"It's Pharmercy in every game. This is a nightmare."

"So we've heard your concerns on Brigitte and we agree her surviability is a bit too low, given Pharah's high pick rate..."

"NO ONE SAID THAT!"

Also happy Friday everybody! I finally made a new clip showwww! Wooooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mk6P9T9xjU

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I dunno, there's comps that Pharah on paper is supposed to hard-counter, and yet Pharah just isn't good enough at Pharah-ing to actually do it against equally skilled opponents. I wouldn't mind seeing a few buffs or at least side-grades to her.

But then on the other hand at lower skill levels Pharah does get pretty powerful, so it might be tough to buff her too much without making her a lower-tier must pick.

Will be interesting to see what changes they're making.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Pharah's supposed to hard counter whole comps?

...which comp?

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    She’s generally a counter to Brigitte and the comps she enables

Nobody wrote: »

Well she definitely counters Brig. She hard counters Brig & Junk, soft counters Rein, Mei & Orisa. (I think, anyway.)

As if Orisa needed a counter.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Well she definitely counters Brig. She hard counters Brig & Junk, soft counters Rein, Mei & Orisa. (I think, anyway.)

As if Orisa needed a counter.

I dunno, I feel her ability to counter junk is relative to the map, and more often than not its a medium counter.

steam_sig.png
    What’s the comp that’s all the rage now that’s 3 healers 3 tanks? Unless one of the healers is Ana they’re going to have some trouble with her.

edited September 2018
    And even then it'd better be a hot-shit Ana.

Chance on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Well on console Pharah's got an extra bit of cush due to aiming so getting some updates, not classy. And I bet they're looking at Pharah tinkering because they don't want to again mess with Bridget because that would continue to show they made a mistake, so they'll work on her (on paper) hard counter to counter more.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    What’s the comp that’s all the rage now that’s 3 healers 3 tanks? Unless one of the healers is Ana they’re going to have some trouble with her.

Yeah, there's a bunch of variations on it now, but it's always 3 healers including brigitte, and then 3 tanks. Usually it's brig, lucio, Ana/moira, and then rein, dva, zarya/winston/hammond.

It runs a lot like quad tank, but without the hilarity.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

That would be the goats comp. And yeah, they don't usually run an Ana with goats for a few reasons, so Pharah does tend to shit on it pretty hard (which has happened a few times in this latest OWWC batch, specifically by China against Sweden).

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Putting on my theorycraft hat for a moment, Pharah's ability to stay in the air indefinitely, effectively forcing all attacks against her to be made at long range, means that any attack with a fixed range, slow travel speed, high shot spread, or arc due to gravity will struggle to hit her reliably. Going down the list of the characters, that means the following characters don't have a really effective response:

- Orisa: Her gun has a travel speed on it. Halt! can help, but Halt! itself has a slow travel speed. Not quite a hard counter, because Orisa can roll her weapon around and at least pick up chip damage while hiding behind her barrier and Fortify.
    - Reinhardt: Firestrike is his only chance to hit her. He only has to hit her twice, but unless he's shooting straight up, Pharah can juke it.
    - Roadhog: Massive spread on both fire modes and his chain only goes so far.
    - Zarya: Primary has limited range, and secondary is limited by gravity.
    - Doomfist: Rising Uppercut is the only way he even gets close to her.
    - Junkrat: He can take Pharah out of the sky by mine-jumping, then hitting her with primary fire and a follow-up explosive. If he fails, he gets to wait 16 seconds to try again. I'm sure pros have all the angles where you can do this memorized and I sure as hell don't.
    - Reaper: Roooofl shotguns*
    - Symmetra: Has a limited-range beam and a lobber ball. Might be able to get a turret set up on something high if you're lucky?
    - Brigitte: Can hit Pharah with a Whip Shot every 4 seconds, if she's lucky.
    - Lucio: Requires active wallriding to negate her height advantage.
    - Moira: Her draining beam is fairly long, so again, less of a hard counter than most, but she still has a rough time of it.

* Speaking of shotguns, I'm not fond of "waffle shots", where shotgun spread has all the randomization taken out such that it forms nice little waffle patterns with the bullet impacts, but I think Overwatch could stand to borrow at least one thing from TF2: despite the randomization, at least one bullet will always fly completely true to the reticle. So if you're a shotgun-wielder fighting someone far away, you can at least get some chip damage out of each shot if you're aiming correctly.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Kupi wrote: »
    - Roadhog: Massive spread on both fire modes and his chain only goes so far.

Don't forget the recent alt fire nerf "bug fix", so even if he somehow hits her with anything outside of hook range she's not even going to care.

Donnicton on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    change pharah's concussive blast to be an AE snare instead but also reduce her health.

i don't know, pharah is weird in that on some maps she can really dominate by having tall buildings or open sky to move around a lot in, on ceilinged maps i think she struggles against a lot more players.

I struggle playing pharah because years of UT2k4 have taught me to shoot at peoples feet not head and i don't rack up the kills that way.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Why is getting a 6-stack game going taking longer and longer?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Sick

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Conspiracy against you.

steam_sig.png
    It's an enjoyable feeling when you force the enemy Widow to switch in QM.

While playing Zen

(No, I'm not 100% sure it was my doing, but when you won the last two sniper duels against her and all the sudden that player is on Junk or McCree...)

McMoogle wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Conspiracy against you.

Maybe. It keeps working to find a plat carry against me.

While playing Zen

(No, I'm not 100% sure it was my doing, but when you won the last two sniper duels against her and all the sudden that player is on Junk or McCree...)

"Thank you for picking Zenyatta, I'll be your enemy Tracer today and I'm responsible for all your getting-killed needs. As you can see, I take a lot of pride in my work annnd you've switched to Brigitte.

I hope you enjoy your match - I'll swing by to check on you when you're at half HP and you've got your back to me. Also please fill out this comment card."

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Coincidentally, I had a really annoying tracer harass me as Zenyatta today.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited September 2018
    I need help with dual monitors. The game in question is Overwatch. My desktop PC is dead but I have an XoticPC Valkyrie with a 1060. I'm now trying to make it dual monitors. It is, but OW won't move to Monitor 2.

It has a mini DisplayPort port which is now hooked up to my 144Hz gaming monitor, but the laptop and monitor are not playing nicely.

The most straightforward way to use this is to extend my screen with the laptop as the main display, with both at 60Hz. In order to play games at 144Hz, I must disable the laptop screen entirely, make the monitor the main and set it at 144Hz. Which is silky smooth but loses the laptop screen entirely.

I'm willing to concede the refresh rate if I can at least make Monitor 2 the main one for Overwatch, but even when both monitors are at 60 Hz, so I can chat on Twitch with a girl I'm dating. But OW refuses to let me choose Monitor 2. I have both monitors sharing an extended display right now. What can I do to make Overwatch give me a monitor selection?

Cantido on

While playing Zen

"Thank you for picking Zenyatta, I'll be your enemy Tracer today and I'm responsible for all your getting-killed needs. As you can see, I take a lot of pride in my work annnd you've switched to Brigitte.

I hope you enjoy your match - I'll swing by to check on you when you're at half HP and you've got your back to me. Also please fill out this comment card."

My favorite Tracers are the ones that forget that the debuff orb lasts for a few seconds outside of sight range and that it's visible to me and my team.

While playing Zen

My favorite Tracers are the ones that forget that the debuff orb lasts for a few seconds outside of sight range and that it's visible to me and my team.

Frankly the fact that you're making me wait an extra 3 seconds before exposing myself is already a big encumbrance. Then there's the whole walk-this-way-to-make-Zen-think-you're-going-that-way-as-discord-wears-off thing.

But really, Discord just shouldn't work on Tracer. Zen discord me and now a Pharah, Junk and McCree can all one-shot me? Boolsheet.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Tracer can one-shot me by holding her cursor over my head for half a second? Boolsheet.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Zenyatta's hitbox happens to be nice and round for the spread radius of inaccurate classes like Tracer and Sombra? Boolsheet.

Tracer can one-shot me by holding her cursor over my head for half a second? Boolsheet.

Lol it's still better than getting one shot by a blue-beamed Junkrat's spam >.< or a body from Hanzo or Widow.

People don't like to sit still for tracking headshots!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Lol it's still better than getting one shot by a blue-beamed Junkrat's spam >.< or a body from Hanzo or Widow.

I don't mean tracking, I mean I literally go from 200 to 0 in the span of half a second. It happens at least once a game when there's a Tracer in FFA, which then makes me pitch my monitor through the wall. It's getting expensive and needs to stop!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

I don't mean tracking, I mean I literally go from 200 to 0 in the span of half a second. It happens at least once a game when there's a Tracer in FFA, which then makes me pitch my monitor through the wall. It's getting expensive and needs to stop!

Well look, let's not deal in hyperbole, here. A half-second sounds totally inaccurate to me, so let's crunch some numbers.

Tracer deals a realistic 120 damage per second without headshots - that is, 240 dps when firing (1 sustained second) and 0 fps when reloading (1 sustained second), repeating - assuming every shot hits.

Her max damage over one second when not reloading is potentially 480 damage, if every single bullet is a headshot. Thus, to eliminate a 200hp hero, Tracer requires 0.41666666666 seconds.

A far cry from a half-second, I'm sure you'll agree!

I've certainly seen OWL Tracers one-clip some characters at mid-range, though it's unlikely those are the caliber of people you'd be facing.

edited September 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I've certainly seen OWL Tracers one-clip some characters at mid-range, though it's unlikely those are the caliber of people you'd be facing.

Actually you can see me one-clip a Widow at midrange in the video I posted yesterday - at about 1:50, right after the pulse bomb goes off. I was landing headshots, but it's definitely not easy to do! That's why it's the part where the song goes "woo!" - because a triple with the ult is good, but a one-clip at 10 meters is better.

I feel pretty good about it when I 2-clip someone, generally! When you one-clip you feel like a god.

Chance on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Maybe there is some kind of subtle hack that doubles damage!

emnmnme wrote: »
    Maybe there is some kind of subtle hack that doubles damage!

We've all heard the rumors, but I'm not sure headshots exists! I swear I've got Winston's reticle right on their heads and nothin'!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Had a match on Hollywood last night where everyone decided to go DPS and run around like morons and I was the only healer. I swapped to Pharah.

The Tracer player started spamming ‘I need healing’. I said I tried but but no ones grouping so what’s the point?

Suddenly someone swaps to Reinhardt, someone swaps to Mercy and someone swaps to Moira and they’re grouping and playing as a team.

Oh well I stayed as Pharah, they had their tank and two healers. Had a great Pharah round.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    most pubs I meet just play Moira as DPS.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    My MMR is apparently now somewhere in the range between "6v6 deathmatch" and "grasps the 2-2-2 comp concept", because every other match is me solo-healing 5 strafe characters. I don't even play tanks anymore unless I feel particularly masochistic and queue for comp.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    most pubs I meet just play Moira as DPS.

It's not their fault, I bet they're using a controller and Blizzard has her orbs assigned backwards- healing is on the left hand, you throw it with right trigger (or vice versa). It's a nightmare. Or justified punishment for using a controller.

This discussion has been closed.