As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    jammu wrote: »
    Based on quick-look of the new Paris-map, the whole city population are Omnics.
    They still insist on speaking only French.

They're Parisian Omnics, what would you expect, civility?

Mr.Wangtang on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This whole conversation strikes at something I've felt for a while: Tanks have it worst in terms of in-game misery. Their mistakes are 2.5 times worse in terms of feeding ult charge (at minimum, counting only their own HP and not the team HP they give up by failing to barrier correctly), yet their survivability is almost entirely dependent on their Supports and their attacks have the most restrictive ranges. They are simultaneously some of the most important characters and the least able to act independently.

And I can't come up with any one Bad Idea that solves it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular

I would expect them to cherish and celebrate their uniquely Omnic heritage, culture and language! This unseemly mimicry of humanity speaks to the great shame some misguided members of the Omnic race still hold about their own people, and their own remarkable accomplishments during the Crisis! In Numbani, Omnics hold their heads high and every year there is a great parade celebrating the inspiring actions of Omnic heroes during the war, complete with floats designed to look like human corpses, each gushing with explosive gouts of ticker-tape blood.

Because every good Omnic knows the war isn't over. It's just on hold.

These baguette-bakin' French toasters have lost their way!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Kupi wrote: »
    This whole conversation strikes at something I've felt for a while: Tanks have it worst in terms of in-game misery. Their mistakes are 2.5 times worse in terms of feeding ult charge (at minimum, counting only their own HP and not the team HP they give up by failing to barrier correctly), yet their survivability is almost entirely dependent on their Supports and their attacks have the most restrictive ranges. They are simultaneously some of the most important characters and the least able to act independently.

No sweat, Blizzard already did it with Hamster! :D

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

I would expect them to cherish and celebrate their uniquely Omnic heritage, culture and language! This unseemly mimicry of humanity speaks to the great shame some misguided members of the Omnic race still hold about their own people, and their own remarkable accomplishments during the Crisis! In Numbani, Omnics hold their heads high and every year there is a great parade celebrating the inspiring actions of Omnic heroes during the war, complete with floats designed to look like human corpses, each gushing with explosive gouts of ticker-tape blood.

They may be Omnics but being Parisian gives them an Omnic-God given right to sneer at everyone else, Human, Ape or Omnic.

They may be Omnics but being Parisian gives them an Omnic-God given right to sneer at everyone else, Human, Ape or Omnic.

(Gasp!) A rude Frenchman? Well I never!

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

(Gasp!) A rude Frenchman? Well I never!

I've posted this same image in this same thread (several incarnations ago) but you can't have a discussion of the french without Willie:
    chqa3164d57g.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »

Going to be honest, I assume people down at that level are essentially all the 7 year olds. And as the father of a 7 year old I’m just proud of their attempts at tactics. Good on you for putting those bombs around the bad guy instead of just in the middle of nowhere!

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What is the best reticle to use with Ashe? I used the cross but the way it splits up after repeated hip-firing is throwing me off.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The main problem with "goof around unless you have exactly six people" is that at any given time the chance that you don't have six is much higher than the chance that you would be outnumbered if you pushed anyway. The enemy team could just as easily be short people. And without going to the front lines and looking, you can't even evaluate your chances.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The enemy team could just as easily be short people. And without going to the front lines and looking, you can't even evaluate your chances.

Well no you can, that's what the killfeed and the tab (or touchpad button on PS4) screen is for. You should have a general idea of how many people on the enemy team are alive or dead at pretty much all times with those two tools.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The main problem with "goof around unless you have exactly six people" is that at any given time the chance that you don't have six is much higher than the chance that you would be outnumbered if you pushed anyway. The enemy team could just as easily be short people. And without going to the front lines and looking, you can't even evaluate your chances.

So it's a skill I struggle with but the kill feed is right there.

When you're dead and waiting to respawn you should really be watching for how the rest of that fight turned out. If you don't see a bunch of red names on the right you should really wait rather than go in alone.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gosh, this is such a good video. I knew before I clicked on it that Junkrat and Roadhog's animations would get specifically called out and everything he said about them resonated hard with me; I think that was a real part of why I gravitated to those two. And the part about McCree leading his turns blew my mind.

https://youtu.be/7Dga-UqdBR8

Thanks for linking this, that's the second video I've seen from that guy and they're pretty cool. Might need to subscribe to his channel.

Choice bits:
    on Tracer's movement @ 8:58 (@chance)
    Can't catch me, can't catch me, can't catch me, OOPS! I'm over here now!

on reloading animations @ 9:25
    Reaper literally throws his guns away and pulls out new ones, because he saw it in The Matrix and thinks it makes him look cool

@ 9:42
    Junkrat just slaps the old mag out of its slot, jams a new one in, and yanks the bolt. He's... really not careful with that weapon.

@ 9:56
    Roadhog just crams a bunch of loose bolts and springs and crap into his gun because, again, 'he do not care'.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Sandwich Dragons are utterly terrifying

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'll never eat subway again without thinking about roasted turkey subway dragons.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There is no damn way I'm going to be able to keep a count of dead enemies from the kill feed in my head in the middle of a game. That's just not going to occur. You'd also have to also try to keep track of when each individual should be respawning, which is to be fair usually exactly 10 seconds, but can actually change somewhat during things like overtime, and how long it takes them to come back, which is going to vary depending on where their front line is, where the cart is, etc.

I get that in theory there is enough information to "count cards" but it is unreasonable to expect people to actually do this in their head in the middle of an action-oriented real-time game. It is hard enough just trying to gauge the state of my own team, without also trying to infer the state of the enemy team. And it is just unneeded if you are actually there and can just use your eyes.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited February 2019
    Also I might add that, orthogonal to any other discussion, if there is a mechanism in the game that makes inaction the correct strategy, then that is a flaw in the game. There is no scenario where "doing nothing" is fun. And previously discussed situations where a correct strategy might involve committing suicide is obviously horribly broken and should be addressed.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just hit tab, if less of their people are up, you're good to go, if it's an equal or greater amount, you should probably wait for a full team? Like, I don't think you need to make it as complicated as what you're describing.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited February 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Just hit tab, if less of their people are up, you're good to go, if it's an equal or greater amount, you should probably wait? Like, I don't think you need to make it as complicated as what you're describing.

I haven't yet figured out what the system is for even showing you enemy information in the tab GUI. Sometimes you can see who people are playing, sometimes you cannot, and it seems completely random. I've yet to look to see if it indicates if enemies are dead or not; whenver I'm looking at it, it is either a question about my team (ult status, composition, etc), or it is "do they really not have a tank?" kind of things.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    edited February 2019
    They'll have red x's over their character portraits if they're dead:
    pch1q0wahq03.jpg
    The glowy aura around some is Ult readyness I think? That or they're 'on fire'.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The enemy set is blocked for like 10 seconds or so.

edited February 2019
    Glowy auras are for players that are on fire, yes. It's a good starting point for who needs to be shut down with a quickness.

soylenth on
    edited February 2019
    I know this one! at least for team mates...

Glowing is "on fire", which is a weird attempt to measure how "good" you are doing, but has no actual impact, it's just aesthetic and sometimes you'll say a voiceline about being on fire.

The % ult is under the icon, and it turns into a glowy checkmark once you actually have ult.

I very much hope that this information is hidden from the enemy side of it. It does seem to leak "on fire" data though.

But yeh, it hides enemy icons at random... my theory is that this occurs for some amount of time after an enemy switches heroes in the middle of the round. But I have no data at all to back that up.

And that screen shot actually makes it clear that if the icon is showing, you can tell if they are dead. That might help you guess if you are outnumbered or not, but it still doesn't take into account run-back-to-the-cart time, so you are still working with only partial data, assuming you can even see all the enemy icons at the same time.

There's really no replacement for actually playing the objective.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    soylenth wrote: »
    Glowy auras are for players that are on fire, yes. It's a good starting point for who needs to be shut down with a quickness.

Also is a proxy for ult tracking. If they ulted last fight, they have another ult well on the way. If they didn't ult last fight, they definitely have an ult now.

Speaking of ults, the killfeed is a great way of quickly deciding when to not ult. You don't even need to see which types of heroes are dead, although it helps.

Lots of red on the left: Do not ult. Your team already lost the fight and your ult is unlikely to swing it back in your favor.
    Lots of blue on the left: Do not ult. Your team already won the fight and an ult now doesn't make this fight easier and makes the next fight harder.

Yes, there are exceptions, but that's a good foundation to start with.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    My ongoing project to escape silver has seen some moderate progress. And a lot of credit for that small improvement goes to folks in this thread, as this is the place I go to discuss my theories about how this game even works and where I learn if my completely reasonable assumptions are right or wrong or just unorthodox.

Sadly I cannot play comp this week due to IRL stuff, so I'm stuck with QP and playing other games.

Another good indicator for ult progress: Mccrees trying to sneak around behind, esp if you haven't heard high noon in a while, and reaper hiding in rafters or behind doors for some reason. Those are the only times I wish I were on comms. "reaper/mccree is trying to do a dumb thing that will only work if we're completely oblivious"

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    One of the tricky parts of gaining rank is that at lower levels it's easy to develop bad habits that aren't even necessarily wrong for the rank you're at.

Like yeah, in silver you can win 4v6's sometimes, because the other team doesn't know wtf they're doing anyway, so you click a few heads or land one big ult and it's an easy win anyway. You can get rewarded by rushing in to disadvantageous fights. Same with like ult usage, where you kill two enemies and then you keep using ults because oh god my team could still lose this thing. Or vice versa, sometimes at low ranks the worst possible thing to do is to get a teamwipe, because you've forced the enemy team to actually group up for once, and your own team doesn't really know how to position themselves safely.

But even getting up to like low plat / high gold, that's not gonna fly anymore. Habits that can help you climb up in rank can end up keeping you there, and you have to unlearn them before you can keep climbing. And that can be frustrating, because when you drop in rank you can still climb back up, but you get to a certain point and suddenly you're in "Elo Hell" and you can't keep winning like you had been, even though you're maintaining what you think are good habits. You can even be out-skilling your opponents in mechanical terms, while still losing games because you've got bad game awareness skills.

Overwatch is a complicated game! That's definitely part of the appeal, but there's absolutely always ways to get better.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    sometimes when i've had a bad bout of losing streaks i go stomp on the hard AI with symmetra or something. Like, sometimes i just want to feel really good about my skills and playing against people that are ever increasingly better than me can be disparaging (sometimes).

• SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    So, Wrecking Ball! I am a full on convert, he's officially my favorite tank. I've even pulled him out in comp a few times when our team comp doesn't really accommodate my beautiful FrogBoi and absolutely shredded the enemy team. The VOD review that @Brutal J did for @Musicool a few weeks ago really helped me out. Of course, I still do hilarious things like this:

https://youtu.be/DBUfZ8USuOE
    The enemy hammond swinging in solidarity with me? I actually saw him swinging there trying to escape prior to my last death. I suicided shortly after the clip ends, and as I died I saw the other Ball manage to finally escape. Swing on, brother I thought, with a slight pang of jealousy.

Got Ana again in MH tonight. Goddamnit she can be such a playmaking support >.<

edited February 2019
    Ohhh, that embarrassing moment. Just let go and hope no one says anything. :(

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited February 2019
    Kupi wrote: »

As to this @Kupi - I get why people feel this way. Really I do. I see what it's like to play Rein into Reaper/Sombra when your team is a flank dps duo, a dps DVa, a reddit Lucio and a Mercy who's trying her best to keep you alive.

But I feel like we're at the beginning of a main tank golden age. Or maybe 'renaissance' is the more appropriate term, since there was a golden age already. There are 4 main tanks, where there once was two, or even one if you count when Winston's bubble cd was basically unplayably bad and every team needed a Rein. We even have a viable main tank who breaks up the "every team needs a barrier" consensus, which is something I know a few of you weren't happy with. And Reaper's buffs are a toughy for, say, Rein. Sure. But they're also a side buff to Winston and Wrecking Ball, two tanks who thrive on maps where Reaper already struggles! Variety! Change!

I honestly believe that we're about to hit the most diverse meta that main tanks have yet experienced. Things are gonna be good!

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Others have touched on the other aspects so I think I can help with:

Players icons are only ever the shaded out question marks for exactly two reasons.
    1) it is the first 10-ish seconds of a map.
    2) you are playing something other than comp and they just recently joined the game and have not yet selected a character.

In all other instances they will have a bright icon showing the character they are, or a slightly darker icon showing the character they were when they died and a red x over it because they are dead.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    @Musicool 4 main tanks? Rein, Orisa and Winston In The Right Hands - who's the 4th?

What, Hammond? C'monnn. Be serious now.
    Others have touched on the other aspects so I think I can help with:

Players icons are only ever the shaded out question marks for exactly two reasons.
    1) it is the first 10-ish seconds of a map.
    2) you are playing something other than comp and they just recently joined the game and have not yet selected a character.

In all other instances they will have a bright icon showing the character they are, or a slightly darker icon showing the character they were when they died and a red x over it because they are dead.

The amount of confusion around this stuff is in and of itself confusing to me.

@Musicool 4 main tanks? Rein, Orisa and Winston In The Right Hands - who's the 4th?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98RbeUllar4

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Musicool wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98RbeUllar4

Your casual child abuse can't stop the truth! Nobody sees a Hammond in the lock screen and thinks "oh good, we'll be safe with this guy."

edited February 2019
    And no tank or healer ever saw a Tracer and thought "oh goody, that pick will keep me safe!' :P

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
This discussion has been closed.