As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Another hour, another limb, another case of just being floored by this kit.

MvXE0tdh.jpg

Using the tip of my x-acto knife worked WAY better for the small stickers I had to do than I was expecting! Thanks for the tip!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    2 more hours, and another limb, shoulders, head (toes were already done).

I'm falling in love with this level of poseability.

SrzNNVrh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    might just fuck around and start my moon gundam tonight

(my nippers are gettin a lil dull too and i've misplaced my sanding sheets, but i did go and get some fresh x-acto blades)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    fuck it. I ordered some of those godhand nippers. Amazon said they'd arrive Sunday and I got Gunpla coming for christmas.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Man. I feel like I'm playing WoW again, as Raiser's shoulderpads are ENORMOUS and silly!

(I also finished his beam cannons but I don't want to pose him with those yet or put together the articulated hands.)

LYUurT5h.jpg

Edit: Good lord this kit has a lot of weapons. 2 beam sabers, 2 guns that turn into swords that turn into a large spear, two shields with blades.. and that's just so far! There's some weird alternate caps for the shoulders, the giant-ass blade, and the whole extra ship part.

Athenor on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I got home tonight to try out the Tamiya Side Cutters and see how they feel compared to my Gundam Planet cutters, only to find that my Gundam Planet cutters had developed several large notches. Apparently my wife, despite years of warnings, had used them to cut some jewelry wire. So now I have a one of a kind Gundam Planet Clamping Sprue Saw and permission to buy a pair of Godhand nippers.

• Options
    Saw this on Facebook and holy crap:

48389611_221888872087084_5819215708625567744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=dd64c4bad89a380e536f2a9dddba784d&oe=5CA15CCA

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Don't worry kitty, you'll get your 4th leg and weaponry soon:
    hhpxtszv3u3s.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Don't worry kitty, you'll get your 4th leg and weaponry soon:
    hhpxtszv3u3s.jpg

Uh this photo with the baseball bat, the missing leg, the gundams pose, has a touch of the Old Yellas about it.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Uh this photo with the baseball bat, the missing leg, the gundams pose, has a touch of the Old Yellas about it.
    I had to do a little Google to understand this because as a Belgian this piece of American culture was rather unknown to me. So it’s a pure coincidence!

• Options
    This is bugging me a bit...

Is there supposed to be a color difference in the white on the Raiser? The slightly dirtier white is from the A runner, and all the rest are from D and I. I think I can see the color difference in the pictures, but.. I dunno. I don't understand it.

You can see it back on where the engine covers would be if this thing had normal engines.

Ebby25Gh.jpg

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Without having built it before, I'm going to say yes. RG kits and many MGs tend to have two tones for the dominant color. The RX-78-2 has a two-tone white, and I think the Sazabi has a two-tone red. It's supposed to break up the form and give it a more realistic look.

The rest of the 00 will likely also have two-tone white. Or white and grey, I guess.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    My RG GP01 has that as well, they also did that on my PG Strike Gundam. I kinda hate it in both instances.

• Options
    two-tone colors are my main complaint about katoki's designs

like i know the sazabi has always had different shades, for example, but the ver. ka just goes way too overboard with it

anyway, progress on the moon gundam is going nicely, the long rifle parts arrived as well, probably will wait til after christmas for more photos but he has legs now
    (i'm fine with the two-tone whites on this kit since those pieces are UV reactive)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    This is bugging me a bit...

Is there supposed to be a color difference in the white on the Raiser? The slightly dirtier white is from the A runner, and all the rest are from D and I. I think I can see the color difference in the pictures, but.. I dunno. I don't understand it.

You can see it back on where the engine covers would be if this thing had normal engines.

Ebby25Gh.jpg

One of the signatures of the Real Grade line is their use of two-tone colors. Typically, this is done by pretty light adjustments to the color. For white parts, this comes out as a white, and a very very light gray color. Up close, it's not really noticeable. But from a distance it helps add a lot of visible part separation, especially if you don't panel line the model. Your brain can better clearly differentiate between the parts.

Heffling on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's my favourite part of the RG line, actually. It's inspired me to try painting some of my MG in more complex colours!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    (Back from the Holiday Hangout)

Gundam scratches his head wondering which 1/144 mobile suit this tripod is. At least it looks friendly...
    i877ooetna0s.jpg

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Happy New Year Gunpla thread! Here is a good dirty boy:

jaj5q910a6lh.jpg

I need to clean up the obvious brush marks and then give him a topcoat. It was a little weird to go from the Sazabi RG and the Astray Kai MG to a kit almost 20 years old. I had to screw the elbows and shoulders together! What madness!

Midnite on
  • Options
    My first kit of the new year ain't a Gundam!

YP18Pvjl.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    is that still 1/144? :P

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Is that the one where you can add a yellow LED unit to?

• Options
    After wanting some for a while, I finally broke down and bought some variety packs of gunpla markers.

To help make up the shipping cost, I also bought the most expensive Zoid I can get ahold of that I don't already own. >.>

• Options
    It's HG size, but it definitely ain't 1/144. Jaeger's are huge. The old MG size ones by Max Factory were 1/300.

And yeh, this one comes with the LED for the chest! I was planning on stealing it for use in the RX-78-2. Finally got a yellow LED for Grandpa Gundam! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    After wanting some for a while, I finally broke down and bought some variety packs of gunpla markers.

To help make up the shipping cost, I also bought the most expensive Zoid I can get ahold of that I don't already own. >.>

That's got to be a pretty short list at this point, no?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

That's got to be a pretty short list at this point, no?

Getting there!

In this case, it was the Iron Kong PK edition.

The only thing I think is more expensive ignoring scalpers is Gojulas the Ogre.

• Options
    So this weird looking giant little bird with tiny wings is 1/144 scale too? How strange...
    vhrya2qz9ztp.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Panel Lining my vanilla Liger Zero X, because I figure that will "pop" the most of the various ones I have to do.

4aEak31h.jpg

I'm finding this interesting... Even though I'm doing the same panel lining applications as the other limbs, including disassembly, I'm actually finding it going faster than going part by part. I suspect this is because I'm not having to stop my flow as much - I can just line what is needed, not having to continually re-cap my pen and such. It does make getting to some pieces harder, but I do think I'm going to start doing this going forward. I'll complete a full sub-assembly (limb, body, etc) and then panel line.

Edit: Not bad for a few hours of work!

maeVqf2h.jpg

NLv17Olh.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    Gipsy Avenger is built!

oFkhUFNl.jpg

He comes with a couple alternate arms for weapons - this is the coolest IMO, a Gravity Sling! Let's ya do a Samus pose! ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I don't get it.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I don't get it.

They never finished the Zeong's legs before it went into combat (and got destroyed).

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    "Legs are just for show. The brass doesn't understand things like that."

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    In space, maybe. Legs seem very important for most mobile suits! :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    (Moments before disaster) "Hey everyone, I found this weird poncho!"
    0tfyc41fqz44.jpg

• Options
    Badger is having a sale on their airbrushes today. $55 for any of their airbrushes, including the Sotar 20/20, Krome, and Patriot 105 Xtreme. Details can be found on their facebook page.

• Options
    ooof i'm still a long ways from airbrushing anything but it's awfully tempting to just pick one of those up anyway

also, posted about it in the nakatomi thread but i finished the Moon Gundam while i was home over the holidays and i think it's my favorite kit so far??? will take some more pictures but here's a whole thread of WIPs

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    If that's the HG, I really can't wait for the RG. Like holy shit those legs.

Also: Airbrush... nnnggggg.... not ready yet. Must unfuck apartment first.

• Options
    went ahead and jumped on that airbrush deal.... sounds like they've got a big inbox of emails to respond to first, so i have some time to actually look through their catalog and figure out which ones are best suited for gunpla

@Heffling do you already own any of theirs?

uc3ufTB.png