As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    My favorite is Thanderbolt.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ugh. This one panel on the front of the Kong just falls off at even the slightest movement. It's a long polycap bar, on either end holding a hinge for the panel to open (to get the Zoid core out). But it just slots into a couple of square (not even notched) pieces, and it wants to fall off at the drop of a hat.

I think I can get away with cementing it. I have never used plastic cement on polycap plastic though... Will it be fine, or should I play it safe and use super glue?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ugh. This one panel on the front of the Kong just falls off at even the slightest movement. It's a long polycap bar, on either end holding a hinge for the panel to open (to get the Zoid core out). But it just slots into a couple of square (not even notched) pieces, and it wants to fall off at the drop of a hat.

I think I can get away with cementing it. I have never used plastic cement on polycap plastic though... Will it be fine, or should I play it safe and use super glue?

Because it's polycap, I'd go with super glue.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Have you thought about magnetizing it?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Have you thought about magnetizing it?

Not really. I mean, that would definitely secure it, but the polycap bar does a pretty good job holding the piece in place. The big issue is that it's in a place that my hand naturally goes to in order to pick up and move the model. It stays in place when it's on... I am just worried about it constantly falling off and getting loose.

QODcZVkl.jpg

Here you can see the two square pegs the polycap piece slides onto, covering the abs of the munkee. All the armor plates in this area slide - the piece below it slides up and down, and is actually 3 pieces that they recommend gluing together after attaching to the side swivel pegs.

S9uXbh5l.jpg

Here's the polycap bar itself. The armor plate rotates on it just fine.

(Also, side note, in the back you can see the energy/ammo belt. They recommend trimming the wires, but I'm so worried about it pulling loose if I cut it too short.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Looking at Badger Airbrush's H55B promo, considering getting a Renegade Krome. But as part of the promo, it doesn't come with the fancy case or the larger needle. Trying to decide if that's a deal-breaker or not. I've already got a Patriot 105, so was hoping to spring for one of the fancier ones with this promo, but missing out on the nice box doesn't seem great...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Someone is NOT happy that I'm working at 4 models at the same time...
    tgw22v3b64dy.jpg
    Perfect Grade Shenanigans Part 1:
    HG : 2 pieces
    PG : 18 pieces and 2 points of articulation
    ffpdk4frrci4.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    I am not unhappy with my choices, but it looks like for the first half of the year, Kotobukiya is re-releasing the Liger Zero models with new sticker sheets, and then a repackage of Berserk Fury. I wonder if I can direct order the new sticker sheets.

https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/product-title/zoids/

Man, though. While I still prefer Gojulas Giga, there's something about a giant robotic Godzilla knockoff with enormous cannons. This is my next White Whale - something that costs $275 new before scalping and shipping.

https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/product/product-0000002195/

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My general go to for grip enhancement is gradually layering clear nail polish over the joint or socket to enhance the friction keeping the pieces in place

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Like I said, gunpla club and I didn't have a model started. So I started this Ver. Ka Wing Gundam!

things are going well for 2 hours.

9pes3ZYh.jpg

Sadly I don't have any q-tips with me accidentally, so no panel lining for now. It'll wait till I'm done.

Athenor on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    How are those new Zoids kits that are coming out with the show anyway? I really would like to build some Zoids but the HMM line is way to expensive for me.

Other than the one time I saw the Pteras Bomber going for $35, but eh, Pteras Bomber.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    First off, Pteras Bomber is cool... ish... kinda... hey, I like mine!

I honestly don't know how the non-HMM lines are like.

@Corporal Carl built one a few pages back and it came out amazing, so they'd be able to speak on it better than me.

• Options
    I built one of the MSS (Modelers Spirit Series), which is from 2013 and only has 8 models.
    They are 1/144 scale (like the HG Gundams) and are from TomyTec.
    The sets are numbered as MZ00x (mine, the Saber Tiger, is MZ003).

The metallic plastic is not that good; a lot of mold lines on there, and it seems like they didn’t mix the metallic coating enough, so I have colour differences on there.

Compared to the HMM Shadow Fox (that I bought for 50 euro, woohoo!), that one has far more superior quality for its metallic coloured parts (still need to assemble it). HMM series is from Kotobukiya and is 1/72.

A quick Google directed me to the Zoids Wikia, which says that the 2018 line is based on an anime called Zoids:Wild, is 1/35 scale, and is numbered like ZW0x, and they are from Takara Tomy. They mostly seem to be open-cockpit zoids, and there’s (currently?) 18 models. They are motorised kits, and have a special “super-attack”.
    zoids.wikia.com/wiki/Zoids:_Wild_(Models)

I saw somewhere that the ZW01 Wild Liger costs something like 32 euro, while on the site above, the ZW08 Graciosaurus is an XL kit that costs 6800 yen, which is around 68 euro I guess. Could it be that it is more like a regular Zoids kit (like the ones from long ago, with the wind-up motors?)

I have no idea of the quality as I only tinkered with an MSS before, and I have looked at an HMM (which seems to have superior platic finishing). And as the Zoids:Wild are from a possible 3rd company, I have no clue about its quality.

Although I have to admit that 1/35 scale would allow it to put German WW2 troops from Tamiya or Italeri on it :razz:

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I finished up the Rebellion era X-Wing a couple nights ago and have slowly been dinking around with decals and panel lining
    The Star Wars models have a LOT of panels, sheesh
    Good looking model though! The X-Wing is such a cool fighter design

• Options
    So my final order from 2018 has arrived. Estimated arrival date: January 28th :biggrin:
    I guess I'll add them to my backlog :lol:
    bfrpze56ubp0.jpg
    More 1/144 Zoids! (so I've got 4 of the 8 now from that series).
    Silly thing: the Shield Liger was cheaper than the other Shield Liger with less bits and bobs.

And that series has 2 Saber Tigers and 2 Shield Liger models, and a Command Wolf (which cost 50 euro or more, which is a wee bit expensive) and a Godos, which is a model that does not set me on fire, so I'm pretty happy with what I've got :biggrin:

And I am very proud of myself that I've managed to get 2 weeks into 2019 without ordering something new :lol:

• Options
    Perfect Grade Shenanigans Part 2:
    HG : 4 pieces
    PG : 48 pieces; added heel and ankle articulation
    923qfdu4kx5x.jpg
    So here's the unarmoured foot of the Gundam Mk.II. (a 2002 PG kit)
    The heel has been added, and a big ankle piece. There is an actual spring in the ankle which works as a shock absorber but probably as something to keep the ankle mechanism as stretched as possible.
    The ankle can move forward and backward, but also sideways, which is pretty nice to see with the two front pistons.
    It'll be a shame to hide all that wonderful engineering behind armour.

The next step will be adding the foot armour, and then the manual starts with the hip of the leg, going downwards towards the knee and then shin/calf.
    It'll be 12 instruction steps before I will be able to attach that to this piece that I've already built.
    Which is kind of funny as my current work is only 7 instructions steps :lol:

Unorthodox pieces used : 2 chains, 1 spring and 3 screws.

• Options
    Good lord that is making me want a perfect grade.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    It's not a Zoid without an obnoxious amount of weapons attached to it.

There can only be one!
    ce7fwwwr38a8.png

Needs more shopping basket.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Wanna build a Psycho Gundam.
    Probably shouldn't buy a Psycho Gundam.
    Might buy a Psycho Gundam.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    just get an SD psyco gundam :razz:

the real question tho, is mk-I or mk-II

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    But Big tho

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I have a Psycho Gundam! Old no-grade 1:144, and the dang thing's as big as a 1:100. Did they do a better version of it in more recent years?

• Options
    I have a Psycho Gundam! Old no-grade 1:144, and the dang thing's as big as a 1:100. Did they do a better version of it in more recent years?

There's an HGUC version with a full, no parts forming besides the shield transformation

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmm
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I might potentially join you in this Psycho Gundam venture.

• Options
    What exactly is this Psycho Gundam? I mean, I know that they refer to the Unicorn as psycho gundam stuff...

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    What exactly is this Psycho Gundam? I mean, I know that they refer to the Unicorn as psycho gundam stuff...

Moble armor sized Gundam designed for Newtypes (hence "Psycho", which is 80s era Engrish for "psychic".)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Short version is in the Universal Century timeline, after the conclusion of the One Year War, the emergence of Newtypes prompted humans on Earth and in space to pretty much just freak out about
    1. This next, clear step in humanity's evolution.
    2. How there are rather few of them.
    3. Their natural enhancements make them quite skilled soldiers, in particular as mobile suit pilots.

So attempts were made to artificially create Newtypes. These took various forms, such as using the emergence of artificial intelligence to simply assist a normal human pilot (thereby mimicking the overall performance of a Newtype without requiring additional training. See Blue Destiny for why this works and is also a terrible idea), as well as good old fashioned sci-fi horror experiments. The latter were Cyber Newtypes, and while the technology totally worked, it came at a massive personal cost to those unfortunates who survived the "upgrade" process. Cyber Newtypes were notoriously difficult to control, and since they also possessed low-grade psychic powers...you get the sort of threat they represented to basically anyone. Hypnosis was routinely implemented both as a control mechanism, as well as to make Cyber Newtypes into better soldiers. This included conditioning to lower the emotional response of killing.

The MRX-009 Psyco Gundam was an experimental mobile armor meant to be piloted by a Cyber Newtype. It was far larger than a typical mobile suit due to a need to both physically house as well as power the bulky Psycommu control systems, to allow Cyber Newtypes to psychically control the entire mobile armor itself. It was probably planned to also later incorporate existing Psycommu weapons like fin funnels, though that never happened. Psyco Gundam itself also had an usual transformation feature called "mobile fortress", because every single mobile suit in Zeta needs to transform.

• Options

him big

1+(34).jpg
    psy25.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Damn you Battletech for making me think Mobile Suit / Mobile Armors are SMALLER than the mechs...

• Options
    How high is the average Battletech Mech? Most Gunpla represent mobile suits in the 17-24m range.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    How high is the average Battletech Mech? Most Gunpla represent mobile suits in the 17-24m range.

Pretty similar, given that many Battletech mechs came from Macross.

However, Battle Armor does exist that is more like a large exosuit, especially for the Clans.

Ps4Up0Fl.png

Edit: Here's the only art I could find of a mech (Thunderbolt) fighting off Clan Elementals.

frM1tVql.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Battletech mechs are in the 9-16 meter range... maybe. They don't really think about it or worry about keeping miniatures in scale. Developers basically just guess when making Battletech video games.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    psy25.jpg

Bloody hell, I didn't know it was that much bigger than Superior Gundam...

• Options

Twenty meters is the typical height for most humanoid mobile suits. Mobile armors are always bigger, though their specifics vary from one to the next. Other mobile weapons can be bigger or smaller that twenty meters, depending on the weapon's designed role and the technology available.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

him big
    1+(34).jpg
    psy25.jpg

"So, we've made this incredibly powerful mobile armor that looks almost exactly like our main mobile suit, now we need ideas to jazz it up a bit, really make it pop while we're slaughtering the enemy.
    "How bout we put one of the suit markings at a slight angle... maybe the one on the knee?
    "Damnit Jones! You're a genius! Now, how about that second one?
    "I don't know, maybe we could paint it purple?
    "You're fired Jones, pack your shit and get out, I don't need you coming for my job.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Psycho Gundam also has Zeong style beam gun fingers, on the off chance that it can't just punch its problems.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Bought a Psycho Gundam.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    It took me way too many years to realize the "Psycho" in the name was in reference to it being a Psy-commu type interface and not

being a big scary obliteration machine that should never have been produced.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    technically it's spelt Psyco, but really, who's keeping track

anyway it'll never happen but i do wish they'd release a kit or toy or something of the fighting game-exclusive psyco mk-III

gdba_psycomk3.gif

uc3ufTB.png