As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Tell me more about that mead.

@IronKnuckle's Ghost

Mead is from https://www.azmeadco.com/ and some of the best stuff to ever go through my liver.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    A fuck ton of stickers and an action base and the FA Unicorn is done! Thanks to the large size he ended up getting moved on to the top of the shelf.

pwu62wbonxrr.jpg

I ended up breaking up the Hyper Beam Javelin turning the spearhead part into a bayonet mounted on the Beam Magnum and shortened the shaft so the axe section looks more like a Zaku's Heat Hawk as a nod to the Zeon crew of the Garencieres who provided the Beam Gatling Guns.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »

... You have my attention...

Also? Fuck Yeah, Vash!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Man, you weren't kidding about the Psycho frames being huge compared to the regular Gundam!

1/144 Sazabi's leg just dwarfs 00 Raiser. The 1/72 zoids are even kind of side-eyeing it.

There's a lot of panel lining detail on the underneath of the (not pictured) armor plates. I'm debating if I want to paint those or not.

f039x5mh.jpg

Edit: Bellbottoms are in this year.. but HOLY COW.. there is so much panel lining to do on this guy!

p3Rmt6oh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    I started my Sazabi as well. Those were some tight shoulder joints.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Here's the promised Mobile Haro Connectors guide :wink:
    ynfjif8998gb.jpg
    There are pieces of armour lids that are over a set of 4 connectors; you can see in the rightmost picture how it looks with the armour lids attached.
    You can also see which pieces I got from where in the middle picture.
    The inside cockpit was actually quite fun to panel line, though it gets hidden when the Haro is piloting it.
    The cockpit lid can't close on a MomoHaro (because of the ears).
    And remember the base connector for crotch guns! :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Started my first ever scratch build for a weekend project. Still working on it, but I'm pretty happy with it so far
    zx50rz7d0gnw.jpg
    ynzkrrhchohn.jpg
    bb8xndspfubp.jpg

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    73pquczpc3og.jpg

Still got the backpack and funnels to go but this is one mean mobile suit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My RG Unicorn... has arrived

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I started my Sazabi as well. Those were some tight shoulder joints.

It’s funny, the dude at the shop warned me about the shoulder joints being tough but I didn’t have an issue with them. I must have gotten lucky.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    This is going to bug me.

I know it is going to bug me.

Sazabi has me applying chrome/silver stickers on the arms as I go.. only.. they are these giant pads of stickers supporting tiny slivers of paint, leaving giant, ugly bubbles behind where the sticker is to be applied.

So far I've been putting up with it.. but.. the more and more I see this is what is going on, the more I want to rip them off. I'm just afraid that I'll screw up something with the silver gunpla marker, or it won't look as good.

Lady at gunpla club had a chrome pen, something amazing that was also super expensive, that might work for this. But... I dunno.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I have never understood why they don’t just make those RG stickers the size of the details and stop there

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    It's done!

1bjtw1ulsmof.jpg
    Athenor wrote: »
    This is going to bug me.

Sazabi has me applying chrome/silver stickers on the arms as I go.. only.. they are these giant pads of stickers supporting tiny slivers of paint, leaving giant, ugly bubbles behind where the sticker is to be applied.

So far I've been putting up with it.. but.. the more and more I see this is what is going on, the more I want to rip them off. I'm just afraid that I'll screw up something with the silver gunpla marker, or it won't look as good.

Lady at gunpla club had a chrome pen, something amazing that was also super expensive, that might work for this. But... I dunno.

If you are talking about 7 and 8 the clear sticker part should be covered up by part E9 but you can always trim them with tip of an x-acto.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, but I know it is there, AND the bracers can flare out like the other parts of the armor. But also the ones on the elbows are the real offenders for me.

Edit: I'm also super picky, so. :D

Athenor on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've been trying out a chrome pen on my RG builds, to replace those stickers. Molotow Liquid Chrome, it was around $10, comes in a variety of pen nib sizes, and application is crazy smooth. It's super shiny even on bare plastic.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Weird, my PG Gundam Mk.II has a sticker sheet for all the markings, and a dry-rub decal sheet for the major markings. So there are quite a few places where you can choose between sticker or dry-rub. The stickers though feel very thin (as opposed to stickers of HG kits).

Oh well, I’ll see whether I’ll mix the two types, or go for the all-sticker version, as soon as I actually come to the places where I can choose...

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    This is going to bug me.

This is probably what she was using. My only caution in using these is that you need to give the part at least 24 hours to cure to touch, and really should give it a week.

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-ONE4ALL-Acrylic-Marker-703-101/dp/B01E7EFSVU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549954965&sr=8-3&keywords=molotow+liquid+chrome

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man I'm excited for the Maganac. I hope Bandai keeps trucking along with these super inexpensive Wing grunt suits. I don't think the joint system they're using would work for more complicated suits, but for simple stuff like the Leo it's great.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, applying stickers/decals on a kit sure is stressful and fiddly, especially when the kit is an expensive one...

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/poGZ83CY3D4?t=2158

If time stamp doesnt work check out 36

There is a resin 1/144 nightingale kit coming out........

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

There is the MG Alex 2.0 everyone was expecting and a wild RG Crossbone Gundam appears.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's still valentimes on the west coast

also i'm not the biggest alex fan but that kit's lookin crisp
    (wonder if we'll be getting an MG zaku II FZ...)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Head's up:

Bluefin and Bandai have decided which Evangelion sets are going to be available. Prices listed are pre-order prices. Contact your local crack dealer. :)

I have never seen NGE, so I have no clue about these sets, but I'm sure someone here does.
    SOSYdJH.png

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Aw, make an EVA-04 you cowards! Just cause it blew up before appearing in the TV series is no reason not to. They already did it for revoltech.
    hlmw2twvp10i.jpg

In all seriousness, that's actually a fairly comprehensive spread. I'm surprised they aren't bothering with the rebuild film series' version of 03 since they'll have the TV show one (as they have different color schemes). 03's black and white scheme from the TV series (which I have a revoltech of), and 02's initial rebuild design are my personal favorites.

Oh, it's also missing the centaurian "provisional" model from the rebuild films. I think it's 05?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the top batch are the late 90s kits, they're about as tall as MG gunpla (but not as complicated)
    they're pretty dated, and it shows, but the rubber sleeves are an interesting gimmick
    prices up there are about ten bucks cheaper than how much they're going for on amazon

i found this guy's reviews while looking them up and it's pretty entertaining, and gives you a good idea of how the kits are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXCMciIqas

bottom half are the models from the reboot movies, so they're much more recent and have better engineering/poseability
    size wise they're even taller than master grades so i guess those prices make sense?

personally, i flat out don't like the proportions of the Rebuild evas, so it's a pass for me (i mean it's not like i'm even trying to collect eva kits/figures right now but if i were i'd probably go for the bandai or kotobukiya TV kits, or even those old ass kaiyodo action figures from the early aughts, now those were some good lookin evas)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Have they not made a Unit 04 since the original series? Man, that list brings back memories of me picking up all the Eva models (HGs, PG, and this crappy smaller unit that I had to paint). I had them all, then only made like 2 or 3 of them then sold them all since I needed room for my Transformers. I loved the rubber arms since you could pose them pretty well, and it was an interesting gimmick.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Perfect Grade Shenanigans, Step 7:
    HG: +4 = 22 pieces
    PG: +32 = 139 pieces
    m41myhlyoll4.jpg
    My first attempt at using (transparent) stickers ever. I managed to get them on there reasonably parallel to a side or side :biggrin:
    So the right leg's right knee part can slide outwards, and then it has a piece that can fold downwards/tilt as the left knee part.
    And the two sets of three ventilation/thruster blades move independently, but the three blades it self stay parallel (as seen in the bottem right pic).

Now I only have to add 7 parts to finish up the right leg, BUT I have to choose on the biggest part whether to go for sticker or dry decal.
    I might just try out a dry decal on my Mobile Haro first (I am planning to make the HG number 03, the PG number 01, so that if I ever decide to get the MG, that can become number 02) with a different decal than number 01.

EDIT: Ha, apparently I polished the bottom right piece so well that you can see the reflection of my curtains in it :lol:

Corporal Carl on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Eh, nevermind. I just skimmed a bit on the Gundam wiki and apparently my memory about what happened to which Gundam mk. II is crap.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This counts as gunpla, right?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I dunno who they're getting to do all that papercraft, but I certainly hope they're paying them in suitcases full of cash. That shit's not easy!

• Options
    I dunno who they're getting to do all that papercraft, but I certainly hope they're paying them in suitcases full of cash. That shit's not easy!

I'm pretty sure they are, the campaign's been very successful. And yeah.. the amount of planning something like that takes is insane.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of impressed that Hasbro has managed to come up with a mash-up that is laser targeted to both my son and myself.

wlykln6cb4s1.jpg

https://io9.gizmodo.com/transformers-meets-ghostbusters-in-this-totally-tubular-1832446901

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If anyone is pre-ordering the Collector's Edition of Left Alive, the next Front Mission game, you get this:

d9cb8f76fbbb25786d524d0e8b64e987_1920_KR.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    oh Left Alive is a Front Mission? I had no idea
    I assumed it was some sort of zombie game I guess

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wait, there's a new Front Mission? Since when?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Gameplay looks like a janky cross between Metal Gear and Disaster Report/Raw Danger, and as such I'm really looking forward to it.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Gameplay looks like a janky cross between Metal Gear and Disaster Report/Raw Danger, and as such I'm really looking forward to it.

so not traditional front mission tactical RPG gameplay then?

BahamutZERO.gif