As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Restock day! Sadly no rg nu, but...
    el6d0fdx3ix9.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh shit.

I was walking out the store when I noticed someone had special ordered something with red wings that caught my eye...

I think this thread had recommended this one to me? Regardless, this is likely to be my next special order, because holy shit.

LAQke2pl.jpg?1

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    That looks a lot like the USA Gundam Store in Daytona. :D

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I built that a few years ago Athenor. It's an ok kit, but not the greatest. The armor is in a medium gray, which really makes the entire kit very dark. The wings look great, but they are very finicky to get installed. It does come with some neat clear parts for recreating throwing the beam boomerangs from the shoulders or the palm cannon.

The included stand is twice the height of the model, so you need a lot of vertical real estate. And you won't display those wings without using a stand.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i started panel lining with tamiya accent on a model and realized i don't have the thinner to clean up... does it still clean ok even after it fully dries? or should i hold off on continuing until i can grab the rest of the supplies?

• Options
    i started panel lining with tamiya accent on a model and realized i don't have the thinner to clean up... does it still clean ok even after it fully dries? or should i hold off on continuing until i can grab the rest of the supplies?

I believe enamels, like acrylics, cure and become permanent. If you have lighter fluid or charcoal starter, you can use that with a q-tip for clean up.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    I built that a few years ago Athenor. It's an ok kit, but not the greatest. The armor is in a medium gray, which really makes the entire kit very dark. The wings look great, but they are very finicky to get installed. It does come with some neat clear parts for recreating throwing the beam boomerangs from the shoulders or the palm cannon.

The included stand is twice the height of the model, so you need a lot of vertical real estate. And you won't display those wings without using a stand.

Hrm. Vertical space isn't a big deal, but that... is troubling. I don't mind dark either, but I would trust you when you say it's okay. I'm getting picky about the kits I build.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Rubbing alcohol or high proof spirits like Everclear will clean up paint if you have an emergency and don't have anything better on hand.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jabman is one of my favorite reviewers, here's his take on the kit. I don't think it's a bad kit, it's just not a great one. It has a really strong shelf presence, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F20SFqEbaP0

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Don update

Need to figure out shoulders, need to figure out under the chest

8gnl6dtmc85e.jpeg

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Edit: phone acted up

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Those added panel lines look great.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Okay, that video helps. :) Though i don't know why I hear "2007 kit" and get worried.

I love the chrome frame look though.

Athenor on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay, that video helps. :) Though i don't know why I hear "2007 kit" and get worried.

I love the chrome frame look though.

2005 is when they released the MG Gundam Mk. II 2.0, and 2007 is the Zaku II 2.0. Those two kits were probably the biggest jumps in Master Grade quality and design that Bandai has ever had. The Destiny is a good kit, it's just not a great one.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Anybody have any experiences with the perfect grade MkII? I’ve wanted to tackle a PG for a while now and I’ve always loved that design.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    I do not. I've built the PG Strike, Skygrasper, Strike Rouge, Astray (3 times!), GP01/GP01FB, Unicorn, and Zaku II. I've been working on painting the PG Strike Rouge on and off for the past couple of months, and am ~90% done painting the Skygrasper.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The Destiny did also just get a really nice high grade

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Tallgeese III phase 6

dtauaqgdgwf7.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

To brighten everyone’s morning here are Zeon suits with Gundam proportions. Enjoy.

• Options
    So the Tallgeese III has Epyon's tail/shield thingy?

• Options
    Yeah. Zechs took a liking to it I guess.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

I've never seen this model before and now I'm angry it's not in any gundam anime for me to watch.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Don’t you dare try and take away Zeong’s JNCOs

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That's a good looking Gyan. That Z'gok's arms are so stubby!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    so I've been slowly doing one of the Bandai star wars models I picked up back during the big Celebration event in chicago and after i built it i immediately realized it was going to need a lot more work than a gundam kit to even start to look complete.

So i started experimenting with some stuff. the first thing i tried was using nuln oil on the gun areas and while it wasn't terrible, it mostly just made it look dirty and didn't help the panels stand out at all. you can see that mostly down in that bottom blue turret. probably going to clean that up and try a different approach but i'm ok with the guns looking dirty and oily in theory so i want to see the whole thing finished before deciding that. Then i hit all the rivets with micron pens

then i just picked up a bottle of the tamiya panel line ink and started working across the model with that. I've now gone over all of the kit that is recessed panel lines and it looks significantly better. the problem is i wasn't having good luck with the raised panels on the model. the ink was pooling a lot more and not filling in around the edge except in really small spots. What would you do with these raised sections that make up the middle of the ship? all of that clean white area in the middle is paneled

gvls43hc449l.jpg

edit: sorry image was huge i had no idea phone photo dimensions were that high. i guess i can unspoiler it now though

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Let me recommend Model Chili scale models
    He does a lot of Bandai kits and custom jobs on them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL63ztXjnm4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYbNOybmfYY

• Options
    For the raised bits try a Gundam Marker and bump around it with an eraser. It should clean up most of it and leave just enough to make it pop out a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tallgeese III phase 10.

0i29n80sckmu.jpg

That Mega Beam Cannon is massive. With the barrel extended its as about the size off a PG Zaku Machine Gun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Tallgeese III is so excited to exist.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Did you have trouble with the eye sticker on your TG3 Trooper?

I ended up not using mine and getting a different green foil from an old sticker sheet. It just would not stay on.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't have any trouble with the eye sticker. If anything it was easier then normal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and it's p.dang good and now I want an Eva plamo. Anyone built the Kotobukiya kits of em? I can't decide which version to get - TV Ver is obviously more accurate, but the earlier one has a cooler color scheme. Is it from a movie or something?

61Z8rosH3pL._SY679_.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah the other designs are from the Rebuild movies

the colors are fine but i don't like their proportions- they're more recent kits tho so presumably the engineering/plastic is better

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    From what I've seen, basing a kit on what's shown in the series would be tough - the proportions and scale change from shot to shot. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    From what I've seen, basing a kit on what's shown in the series would be tough - the proportions and scale change from shot to shot. :P

You mean like:

24ac9a22cc8188a0ac88b3c201730e50.png

or

gundam-quality-31.jpg

• Options
    Wiiiiiide boy is good

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Perfectly.
    On.
    Model.

• Options