As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    2x the shields, 2x the protection

also, the Tallgeese build was a little unexciting so i'm putting it on the backburner and starting a superior mono-white mobile suit

u8emxio4h8dp.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    2x the shields, 2x the protection

also, the Tallgeese build was a little unexciting so i'm putting it on the backburner and starting a superior mono-white mobile suit

u8emxio4h8dp.jpg

"This isn't what Dr. Minovsky called a 'Mobile Suit!' This isn't it! This isn't it!!"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Sure did make some good good autocorrect mistakes huh.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Sure did make some good good autocorrect mistakes huh.

OCD makes posting... interesting sometimes.

and by interesting I mean "oh god brain stop screaming at me please jesus christ"

(also I don't know if the joke played; it's Tem Ray's line when he sees the Guncannon First Type production line at Anaheim in The Origin, and is very upset they aren't anywhere near advanced as Zeonic's line. Perhaps not as iconic as "This is no Zaku, boy! No Zaku!")

EDIT: apparently brackets break the BBCode???

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Had this crazy idea of painting the RG Nu Gundam's inner frame so I grabbed some paints and a System Base to practice on.

1jml1yncb263.jpg

The one on the left is light gunmetal and the one on the right is gunmetal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmm

I like the light gunmetal look more, but the regular feels like it might be more on point with how Sunrise colors frames?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    My plan is doing regular on the arms, legs, and the bigger parts of the waist and torso. While I'll use light on the hands, joint, vernier thrusters, and the smaller waist and torso bits like the hinges.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's a good contrast to use both. I just started the RG Nu, but I've only put together the right foot so far. I also have disassembled most of the PG Aile pack and have it up on clips for painting this weekend. I think I'm going to keep the same very light/dark purple for the main parts, with maybe a medium purple for the vents.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know one of the things that annoys me about models in general is the engine as you put it together maybe paint it and then seal it under the hood
    But this is interesting way to look at that problem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LME4HIICQHc

• Options
    sfny62uq6jmw.jpg

Tried hand painting in some of the details on the hanger. Not to bad for a first attempt.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Some new announcements

MG FAZZ Ver. Ka:

mg-fazz-ver-ka%2B%25281%2529.jpg

RG Phenex (P-Bandai):

rg-phenex-narrative.png

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    BIG BOY SEASON

also got our first look at the hyzenthlay TTT ver

20190927_10thanniversary_item_hazenthley2_rah.png

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    There is a holding stand? I have seen various people use to prime and airbrush gunpla and models.
    It looks like a round plastic pedestal with a square top with two wire arms to hold the model?

• Options
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    God the HG Penelope looks fantastic. They really making it feel worth that price tag.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Some new announcements

MG FAZZ Ver. Ka:

mg-fazz-ver-ka%2B%25281%2529.jpg

RG Phenex (P-Bandai):

rg-phenex-narrative.png

FUCK YES FINALL---

*squints*

... Oh fuck you Bandai! P-Bandai only?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    There is a holding stand? I have seen various people use to prime and airbrush gunpla and models.
    It looks like a round plastic pedestal with a square top with two wire arms to hold the model?

Yes, there are several types of stands for painting. I've seen the kind you're talking about around, and there are also cheaper ones too. If you're just painting a small part, dowel rods with alligator clips attached at one end, and stuck into a block of styrofoam on the other end, will also do the job just fine.

• Options
    I am honestly surprised that RG Phenex is p-bandai.

I have to imagine they're going to do a not-shiny one as a wide release. Feels like leaving money on the table otherwise.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not. With the plating and the base cost of the kit, it's going to end up being a 10000+ yen (100+ USD) kit. The MG Phenex was a flop, sales wise. A big part of that was the cost.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aw man, just got an email from HLJ, the IBO waterslide decals I've had on backorder for over a year is officially discontinued. Cool. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Check eBay. You can find 3rd party waterslides.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Scrolled through that hobbysite Twitter, found this: 2/5 scale model kits of the PS1 and Sega Saturn

• Options
    Kotabukia made a 1/100 scale CYBER TROOPERS Virtual On Raiden kit that has a Sega Saturn on it's back. You can see it at 10:53 in the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4LjmcQ4xnQ&t=223s

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    That looks more like a Dreamcast? Still cool.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    You might be right. I had neither, and don't know which system the game was on.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    i was wondering what those were....

man, so many kit announcements

yesterday we also got the unveiling of the ken okuyama*-designed HG RX-78 for the 40th anniversary

i really wasn't feeling the concept art at all but the more i see of the kit the more i like it/can appreciate it, lots of engineering going on that's completely new so the poseability is crazy
    (bunch more photos and sketches in the link)
    l67F1Qi.jpg

*designer of sports cars and bullet trains

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I really like that RX78 design.

• Options
    Yeah that thing fricken rules

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The saber gimmick is neat

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    You might be right. I had neither, and don't know which system the game was on.

lbp6ib5wmt4u.png

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes, there are several types of stands for painting. I've seen the kind you're talking about around, and there are also cheaper ones too. If you're just painting a small part, dowel rods with alligator clips attached at one end, and stuck into a block of styrofoam on the other end, will also do the job just fine.

I did find it but sadly I had to build one because I have to prime a lot of flying stuff for 40k
    x729l8ldjvwj.png

• Options
    Bamboo skewers and poster putty work great for holding individual gunpla pieces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Bamboo skewers and poster putty work great for holding individual gunpla pieces.

I like bamboo skewers and alligator clips.

I did not like assembling 200 of them.

• Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I took coffee straws and some cardboard and made my own primer thing for flying things
    I use another piece of cardboard to prime on it's a 90 degree corner thing that works great but because I was priming as the sun was going down I had to on the morn do a quick pass in the backyard

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ok holy crap that rx78 seems amazing. How to get

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Says it'll be out in December for 3000yen

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    That free Gundam Battle Operation 2 game on the PS4 will be released October 1st in the US and Europe.

That might just convince me to restart doing my Gunplas.
    Damn you real life, why must you interfere in my hobby time! <shakes fist in the air>

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    yeeeessssss

I'm actually a little disappointed its not a sequel to Gundam Battle Online like I thought it was.

which had a character creator, 50vs50 battles, and a really neat BF2-esque commander role.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682