As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    The thing is, idk if any gundam series has been particularly successful lately.

Or mecha show period. The genre in general is pretty dead. Gunpla really is keeping the ship afloat.

The last set of mecha shows I recall having a lot of buzz was when Code Geass, Gundam 00, and Macross Frontier were all running. Admittedly it doesn't count so much since it's a super robot show, but Gurren Lagann was around the same time too IIRC.

Although, aren't the Build Divers shows pretty popular?

My understanding is that Build Divers was insanely unpopular while being broadcast. Like, lowest ratings of shows that season. And I know it gets a ton of shit from the loud parts of the fan base. (I liked it fine, btw. And Re:Rise has been pretty good)

IDK how Build Fighters did.

Ah. Here's where I admit that I don't know the difference between the Build series. I just had the vague impression the Build stuff did well because I see it talked about a lot, but that might be more for the merchandise than the shows now that I think of it.

Build Fighters did really well in Japan and did ok globally. Unfortunately, the main appeal of the show was for young builders, and in later series they have mostly quit making master grades and stuck to high grades. Build Fighters: Try did ok, but nothing special. Build Divers has been universally panned as a roaming meandering show that desperately needed a focal point.

Thanks for the breakdown.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Oh yeah Build Divers is dire. A bunch of good kits in there though.

The appeal of the Build series for me has always been the funky mash-ups and remixes of various mobile suits.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I would assume the Gundam Build series does good enough cause they keep making them.

I was thinking Bandai is bankrolling them as toy commercials essentially

Yeah they are essentially commercials and the metric to determine how successful they are is Gunpla and merch sales as opposed to Blu Ray sales and TV Ratings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    build divers rerise is ok, but there are like no mech varieties so far. the main mech is a multipurpose combiner, which imo is not really the gundam thing, and the story direction seems to be 'do ai have souls?' or similar. the story for build divers may not have been that great (I thought it was fine. not great, but fine), but there were a ton of mechs. I don't even know how they're supposed to be trying to sell kits with this one, if that's their main goal.

honestly, and I am biased, but they need another g gundam. not exactly like, but they need a dense showcase with a different story than 'war is bad'.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Oh hey. cool, my friend who got me the Gojulas Gunner got in this video! He's at the 38:20 mark with a very brief cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvCstIs-j4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2y-73ke9dhzl4nDu3Asqg5WulW8WkipU51GCKKJYo1bOgUDEMew-5P35E

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mysst wrote: »
    build divers rerise is ok, but there are like no mech varieties so far. the main mech is a multipurpose combiner, which imo is not really the gundam thing, and the story direction seems to be 'do ai have souls?' or similar. the story for build divers may not have been that great (I thought it was fine. not great, but fine), but there were a ton of mechs. I don't even know how they're supposed to be trying to sell kits with this one, if that's their main goal.

honestly, and I am biased, but they need another g gundam. not exactly like, but they need a dense showcase with a different story than 'war is bad'.

There's been a lot of main hero Gundams that had modular equipment packs over the decades, actually. There's the F-90, the Victory 2 (to a lesser degree, but even so), the Strike, the Impulse, and the AGE series.

This was also the main feature of both the Dagger & ZAKU series mobile suits in SEED Destiny (the show the Impulse Gundam starred in).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hot take the modular gundams are always the lamest ones from the worst series

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ain't grandad RX-78-2 a modular transformer type? He's got a fighter jet that folds up into his tum.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    modular in the sense of swappable part sets

I don't particularly like the original gundam very much either but that's another matter

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    hot take the modular gundams are always the lamest ones from the worst series

It's not exactly a 'best hits' list, I'll grant you, but as someone who prefers when Gundam skews more towards sci-fi war story I still like the premise because it's absolutely something military planners would go for.

And, I actually really like the ZAKUs from SEED Destiny. Might be the only thing I liked from it.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options

There's been a lot of main hero Gundams that had modular equipment packs over the decades, actually. There's the F-90, the Victory 2 (to a lesser degree, but even so), the Strike, the Impulse, and the AGE series.

This was also the main feature of both the Dagger & ZAKU series mobile suits in SEED Destiny (the show the Impulse Gundam starred in).

Equipment packs are extra equipment for the situation at hand, they aren't the same as swapping out armor extensions. They add to an already completed and somewhat versatile mech

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    The Core Gundam is a really cool concept, but in execution all the armor sets are functionally almost identical. A real missed opportunity, and comes across as trying to sell the same kit multiple times just in different colors.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Little bit of morning work led to the upper torso definitely being done! For real this time! I know because there really aren't any more pegs coming off of it!

.... ignore the 5 giant pegs coming off of it.

First up, the runners for this page. Lots of little details, but it looks like I'll be completing two runners! I'm debating if I want to save them or not - a friend posted a really cool trick for using plastic cement and the runners to repair blemishes.

2haPBa5l.jpg

Just adding a couple of pegs and some gold detail, no big deal...

Wl6VqBml.jpg

Another piece that looks like an ancient engine, some shoulder straps, and a bit more plating later.

iU8DMVtl.jpg

And here, we have the completed upper torso! ... I just noticed I missed taking a picture of the step with the spine fins inserted. Ah well. You can see them well enough in this picture.

s4hShSrl.jpg

The front profile with the shoulders splayed.

QN6Cjwul.jpg

This is really cool. The backpack/spine has not one, but two points of articulation. Not only can the lower backpack piece rotate (and have a massive polycap to keep it in place), but the joint where the backpack attaches to the body can swivel. There's no polycaps in there, so it likely will always have gravity laying flat, but it is a nice touch. I figured this would be the case due to the round pins and a larger than expected slot for one of the inner pegs to press into.

yAYlfAyl.jpg

And once again, our obligatory scale comparison shot. Gojulas is getting hungry, though. Shame he doesn't have a stomach...

nNJ97jCl.jpg

Next up: The rest of the torso! :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    So after a couple years of not having a space I can finally get back to building my backlog

fig3198qsuf2.jpg

du2kxko29doh.jpg

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my God that swordfish...

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

I'm so fucking dumb for getting it but there is just like, so little good merch for a twenty year old series

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

I'm so fucking dumb for getting it but there is just like, so little good merch for a twenty year old series

Why is that dumb?

• Options

Why is that dumb?

Oh, just the price, really

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    @Athenor can you post the trick to repairing blemishes your friend posted?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options

Why is that dumb?

Oh, just the price, really

I am in no place to judge. Enjoy your hobbies.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Grove wrote: »
    Athenor can you post the trick to repairing blemishes your friend posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVltgEpdR0Y

Athenor on
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »
    Athenor can you post the trick to repairing blemishes your friend posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVltgEpdR0Y

I know in the Plasmo video I posted he likes to fill in gaps with Vallejo primer and sand it down which I might try out as I have tons of gaps on robes and such I need to fill on some of my 40k/aos minis

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So after a couple years of not having a space I can finally get back to building my backlog

Careful posting that Heavyarms, you might catch a banhammer!

• Options

Equipment packs are extra equipment for the situation at hand, they aren't the same as swapping out armor extensions. They add to an already completed and somewhat versatile mech

Honestly, I think you're splitting hairs there. If it can be done during a maintenance cycle or mission prep, then it doesn't really matter what's being changed, it's just a mission payload.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Honestly, I think you're splitting hairs there. If it can be done during a maintenance cycle or mission prep, then it doesn't really matter what's being changed, it's just a mission payload.

right, it's not being done in mission prep, it's being done in-mission. 'I'm in shooty mode, now changing to punching mode'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I feel kinda bad interrupting the discussion with my updates.... kinda.

Anyways, another couple of hours of work tonight after getting home from my folks.

The inner joint of the mid torso.

LQoJfMhl.jpg

The inner joint installed in the mid torso chassis.

RkiRyEXl.jpg

BQxNEz3l.jpg

New page! Few new runners here too.

3oM44xwl.jpg

As I've talked about before, the core of every Zoid is its... Zoid core. The HMM line models these where the original Zoids didn't, and every HMM has one. They are much more armored than the pilots usually are! This is kind of the "soul" of the animal, that the rest of the mech is built around.

And like always, the sled that holds the Zoid Core has a ton of detail that you would not normally see.

EizGWUhl.jpg

I admit I like panel lining the zoid cores. It's something you'll never see, but I think it catches the light in cool ways.

h4PH67Ol.jpg

Here you can see where the Zoid Core sled slots into the mid torso.

iRL7p6El.jpg

And here's the central chassis of the mid torso assembled. There's still a lot of panels around it, but it's a start.

ms3WjDrl.jpg

To finish off the night, here's where the mid core is going to go once it is done.

CuG6NBul.jpg

And here you can see the buried articulation between the mid torso and upper torso. That joint set has rotation, two points of tilt, and side to side pivot. For a chunky boy, this guy's gonna be able to pose really well.

9AA4HCEl.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

?

There used to be a forumer who's name I can't remember who would post that gif of Heavyarms from Endless Waltz shooting all its guns and crap a lot.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    G40 gramps is out in the wild

besides the instructions it also comes with a 28 page booklet about the development process

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    For the insane amount of engineering in that, it looks... kinda plain? I am sure that is intentional, but I guess all the pre-production shots made me think it would be darker.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

?

At one point this gif

6nUtG2G.gif

got posted so much they made a new rule in the rules thread that posting that gif could get you banned.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Naphtali wrote: »

?

There used to be a forumer who's name I can't remember who would post that gif of Heavyarms from Endless Waltz shooting all its guns and crap a lot.

?

At one point this gif got posted so much they made a new rule in the rules thread that posting that gif could get you banned.

Man, that's not even close to all of the Heavyarms Custom's guns. It's got 4 beam gatlings under the chest panels, two machine cannons mounted over the collar bones to either side of the neck, the traditional two vulcans in recessed mounts in the temples. And then there's all the hidden missile launchers; where Heavyarms just had shoulder and leg boxes with fold out coverplates, the Heavyarms Custom has fold out missile racks on the shoulder launchers and missile launchers on its armor skirts!

pc1egnusc6m3.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    It also has twin chainguns under the pectoral armor plates.

Anyway, really loving the giant Zoid build posts!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Got off 1 lazy butt cheek and finished putting together the MG Full Armor Ver Ka. Now to get off the other and finish the panel lines and waterslides.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I still like the Serpent more than Heavy arms
    khvqsebopjqp.png
    I think I have this model
    l0mr44wt2nh2.png
    As I still have the box but all the gundams I built back then are in another box I have not looked in

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Yup, I always wash [plastic model kit runners] in lukewarm washing-up-liquid-soapy water.
    It makes them "feel better" in my opinion
    How do you wash them? Do you rub them with your fingers, or just let them soak in soapy water, or something else?
    I throw a bunch in soapy water, then I take one of then and rub them with my fingers softly, and then rinse them with clean water. I shake it a few times over the sink, put it on a towel, fold the towel so that the runner is sandwiched between it, give it a soft pat, and then take the towel on both sides and shake it up and down. After that, I blow in the crevasses and pits to get most of the water out, dry it with a soft towel, and then put the runner on a towel in the living room (the warmest room of the house).
    Ah, gotcha! Thank you for the walkthrough. I know a lot of folks wash miniatures before painting them, but somehow I never made the connection to washing plastic model kits as well.

• Options
    All injection molds worth their salt use a releasing agent to help the plastic come out from the molds. I personally haven't cared enough to wash,b ut if I were going to prime I'd wash down the model first so that the primer can stick to the plastic.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh, it makes sense for sure, the thought just hadn't occurred to me.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

?

At one point this gif

6nUtG2G.gif

got posted so much they made a new rule in the rules thread that posting that gif could get you banned.

Can't stop anime man.