As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I got godhands a while back and can't imagine going back to other nippers.

Are they really that much better than the Tamiya ones?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

They go through plastic like a hot knife goes through butter. You feel no resistance, the stress mark is very small and easy clear up, and the cut is flat and goes right next to the piece leaving virtually no excess plastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    from amazon, supposedly this is the level of cut you get out of them, spoilered for size:
    81lFFGK2ESL._SL1500_.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Also hey

hey bandai

Stop making all the cool new shit P-Bandai exclusive seriously

Sincerely,

Someone who wants a Geminass not designed around 1995 bandai engineering
    What is P-Bandai, and why is it a bad thing?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    P-Bandai are exclusive or limited run kits usually only available at certain events or through some Bandai affiliates I believe

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Also hey

hey bandai

Stop making all the cool new shit P-Bandai exclusive seriously

Sincerely,

Someone who wants a Geminass not designed around 1995 bandai engineering
    What is P-Bandai, and why is it a bad thing?

The 'P' in P-Bandai stands for "phuck you pthese pkits are phideously pexpensive and pvery pdifficult to pfind".

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

They go through plastic like a hot knife goes through butter. You feel no resistance, the stress mark is very small and easy clear up, and the cut is flat and goes right next to the piece leaving virtually no excess plastic.

They do go through plastic like a hot knife. The trade off is you have a very thin blade that has to be made of a very hard steel, and is thus very brittle. As with Timspork, I had a pair but they broke when one of the teeth snapped in half while removing a part from a sprue.

I prefer the Gundam Planet nippers because they are more robust and cut nearly as well.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    P-Bandai are exclusive or limited run kits usually only available at certain events or through some Bandai affiliates I believe

A lot of it is also just pallet swapped and maybe an extra runner and costs like 50% more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have the gw plastic snips I got on one of those bizarre deals on ebay. They were new but the spring inside the hinge fell out of the groove. They still work but have no bounceback
    Still I like them. Though when I work on some of the older metal minis I have it's not fun to find a pair of snips I can use on them.
    Basically a chunk of my summer was finding my old tools. Getting a new set of or tweezers the bent tip style was a pain as no one in the area had them.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... It's done.

Remind me to never panel line a fragging energy belt again.

Second to last page of runners. They are getting pretty sparse!

Oh7bmvwl.jpg

Okay. I've assembled this piece and I have no frakking clue what it does. Like.. I thought you might be able to attach one of the fins there, but nope! Maybe it is for attaching a gun? ... Actually thinking about it, I bet I could mount the hand cannon to that spot.

oXYgNzAl.jpg

ovUKIGXl.jpg

A couple of exhaust pipes? Not sure. They are attached by polycaps too, so maybe they can store things instead?

KG5IuQAl.jpg

Vents on the top of the backpack. These things were a bear to try and paint, because I didn't realize my pen was going dead.

3z6CVx3l.jpg

One of the assembled backpack pieces. I think it was here I realized that my pour type was just not pouring anymore, so I swapped out and it made ALL the difference.

nw2SwoQl.jpg

wy3Xxtul.jpg

The two backpack halves together.

WunJJhTl.jpg

A small little detail that goes on the connector for the backpack.

Si8RHOtl.jpg

Where the energy belts are going to plug into the backpack.

TimuLm4l.jpg

This is it! THE FINAL PAGE!

H4XmUHql.jpg

The connector piece between the backpacks.

STZLFgal.jpg

DnLDuurl.jpg

The assembled backpack!

kTuH7zhl.jpg

With the vents open.

4Uu8addl.jpg

And here's with all the extra pieces attached.

jE62nXal.jpg

All that was left... is the belts.

Oh god the belts. I decided to go all the way... and panel line ALL of them. 42 links, plus the connector plugs. If I didn't have the working pour marker I wouldn't have done this.

Y18O2tjl.jpg

Halfway through belt 1...

GIBdm45l.jpg

Belt 1 about to be capped!

lJdDiDFl.jpg

Belt finished and plugged into the backpack! I admit I was having troubles getting the wires to stick. Even with tweezers as they recommend, wire doesn't tie very well and it still needs to slide by itself.

6AgcWMRl.jpg

Belt 2.

G9G7LZCl.jpg

oThuWiWl.jpg

Belts attached!

nEKPf9cl.jpg

And here it is. Assembled. Posing. Quite happy.

6JiyWQph.jpg

sq9xzJmh.jpg

And the eternal rivals square off.

fWbvauZh.jpg

Thank you all for joining me on this journey. I'm going to get some more pics with the rest of my Zoids, as well as my year's output, once the light is better and my headache goes away. But it has been an amazing 3 weeks.

There's just one more boss to tackle.

4EFY9pXh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh, side comment?

I need to reinforce: Hobby Lobby's cotton swabs SUCK. Holy cow, I burned through half of my supply on that!

I actually special ordered some Tamiya ones for my next project.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    P-Bandai is in theory supposed to be for obscure variants of pre existing kits and such. edit: or (the good kind of) dumb shit like the 36 Maganacs box.

I say in theory because for the last like 3 years Bandai has had a real shit habit of making completely new kits P-Bandai only.

"The Origin" line in particular kept having color swap kits released at retail and very different ones be p-bandai. Such as the retail Zaku Cannon variant being just a brown Zaku 2 with a different backpack, and the p-bandai one having the actual Zaku Cannon head, chest, and weapons.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    That sounds pretty shitty. Is the rationale that they can get away with producing less stock (and so keeping production costs lower) and charging more for the kits if they are P-Bandai?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be for kits they don't expect to sell all that well, so they manufacture fewer of them, passing the increased production costs directly to the customer. This also somewhat explains the difficulty in getting them outside of Japan.

There are certainly kits which fit these criteria exactly--my GM Sniper Custom II (White Dingo) is a color variant with slight modifications to an existing kit, from a fairly obscure video game. There are also kits that seem quite popular in the gunpla community, like most of the Advance of Zeta line, that seem to be popular enough that being P-Bandai makes much less sense.

• Options
    Bandai Spirits doesn't charge more for P-Bandai kits than they do for retail kits. The problem is that P-Bandai kits, until very recently, have been exclusively available only through their webstore, which only delivers to Japan. This meant that if you wanted to buy a P-Bandai kit, you were paying a re-distributor that would buy the kit at retail from Bandai, then resell to you with a mark-up.

The kits are, in general, things that are supposed to be obscure or have limited popularity. The reason they follow this model is that they have contracts with their official distributors to provide a certain amount of retail models for sale, keep certain stock levels, etc. If the kits were released as retail, then stores would have to keep more stock, which could negatively affect them.

This also means that Bandai doesn't have to discount the P-Bandai kits to distributors, so fewer units are needed to sell to make up for any investments in new molds, etc.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Yeah, the biggest P(remium)-Bandai hurdles are the lack of availability outside Japan (which I thought Bluefin was working on but their offerings are still only a few kits out of, well, a metric shitton of what's produced, and then thanks to that any way to get them is almost assuredly going to throw you into scalper territory if you want to buy the things.

So enjoy paying $80 for that HGUC kit

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh, side comment?

I need to reinforce: Hobby Lobby's cotton swabs SUCK. Holy cow, I burned through half of my supply on that!

I just use Wal Mart's brand they are acceptable

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Oh, side comment?

I just use Wal Mart's brand they are acceptable

It's... hard to explain. The tips get mushy, the cotton unfurls when wet and leaves behind a lot of slop... I was going through like 2 swabs a day of building, compared to 1 Tamiya swab lasting for multiple days if I was careful.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    r5fio8vbj6qq.jpeg
    Courtesy of Sir Renzo

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Epilogue.

I didn't really pose them, but I wanted to pull out my Zoids collection and see where it was today. It's grown massively in the last couple of years.

MeNwqoxh.jpg

uFabWPBh.jpg

UXSXChah.jpg

... I need to dust, and I need to take another stab at repairing.

• Options
    Yeah, the biggest P(remium)-Bandai hurdles are the lack of availability outside Japan (which I thought Bluefin was working on but their offerings are still only a few kits out of, well, a metric shitton of what's produced, and then thanks to that any way to get them is almost assuredly going to throw you into scalper territory if you want to buy the things.

So enjoy paying $80 for that HGUC kit

Yeah, P-bandai kits aren't any more expensive than comparable retail kits if you can get them directly. The prices for the few that have made it to the US Blufin store are quite good, honestly.

I mean the HAZE’N-THLEY II-RAH is $60 for a high grade, but it's a BIG high grade (that I'm very excited for)

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    That Turtle Zoid looks like it could fit in a WH40K Ork army perfectly.

Anyhow, every good kit starts with the frame:
    uv9820cnczhe.jpg
    The grey one is the CS version, the white one is the SD version (SD frame is the one supplied in SD CS kits, you have to buy the CS frame separately).

The shoulders have more horizontal movement:
    xyecp81gfn2m.jpg
    It's nice to have elbows and knees!
    txuvwwjr3cya.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    MG Barbatos inner frame

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Would this be a good thread to ask about Bandai's Star Wars stuff

Because there's a part of me that wants to start building some Bandai Star Wars models

What would I need to do that

• Options
    Would this be a good thread to ask about Bandai's Star Wars stuff

Because there's a part of me that wants to start building some Bandai Star Wars models

What would I need to do that

I have this basic Tamiya toolkit that has pretty much everything you'll need to get started, but other people might have their own recommendations

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AND0FRG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_AW1dEbS9H2AVD

You may also want to search for "Gundam markers" and get the thin ones for panel lining, if you want to try that at all

And then just grab a model I guess!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Prolly want to pick up a sharp scalpel type knife such as an X-Acto, and potentially some sanding sticks of various grits, but otherwise that Tamiya kit has what's needed. I also recommend getting yourself something to protect your table as you work. Your kitchen cutting board is perfectly fine, but you can also consider a cutting mat too.

• Options
    First off, this is absolutely the right place to talk about Bandai's Star Wars models! There was a bit a couple pages back about their Star Destroyer that was epic. I've personally considered getting some of their 1/72 scale TIEs and X-wings because they are in scale to my Zoids.

As far as tools needed, as has been said it's entirely up to personal preference. For the longest time I just had some Citadel nippers and an X-acto knife, and just tried to cut close to minimize the nubs/stress marks. I currently use Tamiya nippers. I don't use sanding sticks much because I never found one I liked and it added a bit too much time to my work that didn't seem to be much payoff. If I ever go full-hog and paint my models, though, I'll definitely make sure things are smooth.

I highly recommend fine point gundam markers to start with. They are easy to control, and more importantly easy to rub off with your hand or a swab or something before they dry. The main reason I was bitching about cotton swabs is because I was using what are known as pour markers, which are a bit more advanced and require a bit of set time - and thus need water or alcohol to clean up after the fact.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I would use a wash instead of pour markers, panel liner, or panel line pens. Much more forgiving, less effort, and makes things grimy like Star Wars stuff should.

A good example of wash usage, on a Star Wars kit no less: https://youtu.be/tU9wlwOLgpA

Renzo on
  • Options
    Are there acryllic based washes? That was the big reason I used pour markers, so I wouldn't have to prime my models.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Vallejo wash he uses in that video is acrylic, and it goes right on top of the model. It's what I use, and I've always been happy with the results.

• Options
    The Warhammer washes are all acrylic. You can also do oil based washes, which don't require priming.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I will say that the star wars models need something to not look super plain. I built a bwing and it ended up looking like white plastic and got me to panel line for the first time

Here's how it looks partially lined so you can compare the wings to the center fuselage

qn9lnlg1wpif.jpg

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, in retrospect I really, REALLY wish I had a wash for the Gojulas. :)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Are the star wars kits snap-together like gunpla or traditional kits you need to glue?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, in retrospect I really, REALLY wish I had a wash for the Gojulas. :)

So get a wash and apply it!

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Are the star wars kits snap-together like gunpla or traditional kits you need to glue?
    <looks at my Star Wars kit> It all looks like snappity snap to me.
    No glue, no paint, but definitely panel lining.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options

<looks at my Star Wars kit> It all looks like snappity snap to me.
    No glue, no paint, but definitely panel lining.

Another quick one but he shows off how the kit goes together and the dry brushing as well as line work he does
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjSaQd0F-_U

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Brown wash is the secret sauce

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Dont put gravy on your models

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    If there's a better way to shade, I don't know about it.