As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    It is probably correct to be cautious about linking your friend's store, advertising is generally frowned upon here.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I'm thinking about grabbing some new nippers, I'm still using the super basic ones that come in that Tamiya beginner kit. I don't think I'm quite ready for the godhands, what do y'all use?

When I was working at the LGS I got gw ones because the blades were much flatter and sharper than the army painter ones we carried

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    So let's just do like a little uh, goof and pretend one of us doesn't know what the gw abbreviation means.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Games Workshop, the company that makes Warhammer and Warhammer 40k (and all the modeling stuff necessary to build the models, like paints, brushes, glue, nippers, etc etc)

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the best nippers are the Gundam Planet nippers. They use the same single blade cutting tech that the Godhands use but are thicker so much less likely to break. And $15 cheaper.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is there actually an advantage to single blade?

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It cuts real smooth for....some reason

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I believe it has to do with slicing vs. squeezing pressure and the stress that puts on the plastic. The downside, however, is that the single blade nippers are way more hardened, and thus more brittle. So you don't want to do large/excessive cuts with them. Regular nipper near the gate, godhand flush with the piece.

... Not that I've ever used one so take what I say with a grain of salt.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've never actually seen any of the single bladed ones but I have noticed that if I'm not careful the pinchy one will gouge into my plastic so I've mostly started just exactoing the close cut down to flush and it's been going ok for me

initiatefailure on
    I mean, an exacto blade, that's technically a single blade

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is there actually an advantage to single blade?

The single blade design basically uses one side of the head as the blade, and the other as a chopping block. So as you squeeze the part, it is pushing the part into the blade, resulting in a smooth cutting action.

Double blade designs, which are the more common type, are two blades that approach each other. If the blades were razor sharp, they would never line up correctly. And if you reduce the sharpness to aid in lineup, you reduce the effectiveness of the cut. So you end up with more of a shearing action rather than a cutting action.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    uWu what's dis

jfKy29n.jpg

well let's see
    C983Cau.jpg

oh my, now I gotta get the airbrush setup and rig a booth

also, I got in on the badger birthday sale, so eventually I'll be receiving a sotar 20/20v for 70 bucks

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm guessing "WOT" is World Of Tanks and not the British slang, but I still got a chuckle seeing it all by itself on the box like that.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Barbados Lupus sez hi!

1Q4XohS.jpg?1

Mrs. Facepunch reckons he looks like he’s wearing a cowboy hat. I tend to agree.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    That's the no grade or the high grade?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I started on the GM Intercept Custom
    The last few I built were all either RG or MG so it feels weird to go back to one that doesn't have a complex skeleton

I was almost disappointed to see how few runners it had

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    That's the no grade or the high grade?

It’s the no grade.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Don't talk to me or my son.
    Hj1tNst.jpg

Yes, they're holding hands, they're on a father/son outing

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I passed on buying in my store the Action station or whatever that basically acts as a display diorama.

... But the more I think about it, the more it would be cool to have a hell of a hangar display for all my models.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Kotobukiya used to make a hangar style display they called the Mechanical Chain Base, but they discontinued it a few years ago. TT GG, a Chinese knock-off company, makes them, and you can buy a set for $86 shipped from Gundamcentral. I have purchased two and have cleaned up all of the parts from one set (it has bad seam lines on the non-panel parts). It's on my to do list for painting.

TB2D.1PapXXXXcWXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!51739068-800x800.jpg

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I need a new kit, might visit the local shop for a barbatos next week.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Hell yeah! Zock found a boyfriend!

z7p6f3mwntrf.jpg

edited February 2020
    UObhu0k.jpg

Descendant X on
    lewd

edited February 2020
    Hey!

It took a screw and heating up the plastic a bit, and a lot of force, but I got the broken peg out of my Pteras Bomber again!

Which means I can take a second stab at fixing it... and I have no clue how to do that.

There's a lot of weight on this piece. The outer wing plus the upper bomb/engine segment, and it could be at awkward angles. I need to figure out how to make it rock solid as if it were one straight piece, while still being able to slip inside the peg hole it goes into.... which is what I think got stuck last time.

I have no clue how I'm gonna do this. Any suggestions?

vDblVGHh.jpg

7i3xb9Qh.jpg

Edit: Also it looks like the nose cannon/antenna has fallen out. It's a very tiny white piece that I knew I should've glued. Is it worth re-buying a $50 kit?

I may need to think about this.

Athenor on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I told myself I wasn't allowed to build another robot this weekend, then the mail came

91okuggchxgc.jpg

I really need it to warm up some so I can do a matte finishing spray on a couple of em.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    I’m still in need of my first real airbrush; does anyone know how those mini, handheld compressor ones popping up on Amazon are? They’re in a decent price range for me and they seem small enough that i can store it easily in my art supply toolbox instead of trying to find space for a full size compressor

If you're talking about ones like this, I bought one, and it technically works. Just kinda finnicky to start airbrushing with. I've done a bunch of base coating with that set, haven't tried doing anything beyond priming and basecoating with that. Moving on up to a Badger Patriot and an actual compressor with tank, just gotta wait for the Badger airbrush to come in to see if I can tell the difference. I'm torn on if I can recommend that little pocket one or not.

akirasig.jpg
    So I've got a $100 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and would like to spend a bit of dosh on Gunpla. I would like you, my esteemed Gunpla peers, to recommend to me the best way to spend $100 on Amazon.ca. Whaddaya say?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So I've got a $100 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and would like to spend a bit of dosh on Gunpla. I would like you, my esteemed Gunpla peers, to recommend to me the best way to spend $100 on Amazon.ca. Whaddaya say?

What have you built? What do you like? Hero suits, grunts, Feddies, Zeon? Want to try something new or a sure thing?

The MG Dynames and Barbatos are both highly regarded, as are the RG Nu Gundam and Sazabi.

Yeah, it's hard to recommend something without knowing what your aesthetic preferences are. Because if you aren't enjoying the building of the kit and/or anticipating the end result, you likely won't finish or be proud of it.

Good point. I’ve got two Build Divers done, and they’re... not great. I’ve also done a Unicorn Destroy Mode, Sazabi Ver. Ka, and a Deathscythe Hell. I’m currently working in the no grade Barbatos and I have a Gundam Freedom MG waiting for me.

Based on what I’ve done, I’m guessing I like the Feddie hero suits and stuff with wings. I was thinking I might pick up Heavyarms, but figured I’d ask for recommendations first.

I will say that I loved building the Sazabi. I think the only one I didn’t enjoy building much was the second Build Divers I did, but I can’t even remember what it was called.

What's your skill level and what are you comfortable with? Have you ever built a Gundam? Do you like to straight build, panel line, apply decals, full on paint, custom mod, etc? Are you wanting to push your skills or start with something you'd be comfortable with? Do you have the tools to build a Gundam?

Do you even want a model kit, or would you prefer something that's completely built already?

Good point. I’ve got two Build Divers done, and they’re... not great. I’ve also done a Unicorn Destroy Mode, Sazabi Ver. Ka, and a Deathscythe Hell. I’m currently working in the no grade Barbatos and I have a Gundam Freedom MG waiting for me.

Based on what I’ve done, I’m guessing I like the Feddie hero suits and stuff with wings. I was thinking I might pick up Heavyarms, but figured I’d ask for recommendations first.

I will say that I loved building the Sazabi. I think the only one I didn’t enjoy building much was the second Build Divers I did, but I can’t even remember what it was called.

Hmmm. The Sazabi Ver. Ka is a big boi. Sounds like you might be a fan of MGs and more detailed kits?

My backlog contains the Hi-Nu Ver. Ka, I'm very much looking forward to putting that together, though I don't like the fact that the purple effects are sticker/decal based.

bandai-rx-93-2-hi-nu-gundam-ver-ka.jpg

I can also recommend my first Real Grade, the 00 Raiser. It turned out to be really fun!

71VE9XyPtlL._AC_SL1324_.jpg

Ok, so the Build Divers and the Unicorn Destroy Mode kits are High Grades, which are one of their simpler lines of kits. The Sazabi Ver Ka and the Deathsythe Hell are Master Grades, with the Sazabi Ver Ka being one of the best kits ever made. Do you know if your MG Freedom is the original kit or the recently released 2.0?

Some of my favorite Master Grades are:

1) MG RX 78-2 3.0 - This is one of the most detailed kits ever made by Bandai, with amazing two tone parts separation and tons of decals to add a lot of detailing. It comes with the core fighter and the core blocker.
    2) MG Astray Red Frame Kai - This is an older kit, but has some of the best poseability in the entire Gundam franchise. It also has a really muscled up ninja aesthetic, which is totally my jam. I picked this one over the Blue Frame or other variants because it comes with the two samurai swords and an Action Base 2 for posing the sword or putting the Astray up in flight mode.
    3) MG Duel Gundam Assault Shroud - This is one of the bad guy mobile suits from Gundam Seed and is based on the hero's Strike Gundam in a blue color, but also comes with a lot of external armor. It's based on the MG Strike RM. Runner up to this is the MG Buster Gundam, which is also based on the Strike RM.
    4) MG Hi Nu Ver Ka - This is the good guy suit to compliment your Sazabi.
    5) MG Gundam Thunderbolt Ver Ka - This is a modified RX-78-2 with all kids of maneuvering thrusters and enough accessories to keep you busy for quite a while. It comes with a stand that is, quite frankly, garbage and you should get an Action Base 1 to go with it.

I love the Wing Gundam series, but all of the MGs except the original wing are based on the MG Wing Gundam Ver Ka frame, so the build gets to be repetitive. The Heavyarms is great, but if you've built the Deathsythe and wat a different build, I would hold off for now.

It's a little outside your $100 gift card range, but if you are really like wings...

BhJxCpKl.jpg

*cough*

(Just kidding!)

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If you like spraying top coats on your kits or are thinking about starting to top coat them then an entry level airbrush and compressor combo will be a good long term money saver and an easy way to get into painting a kit whenever inspiration kicks in.

steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That looks very cool and I look forward to your 400+ photo build log of it, Athenor. Oh, you already built one? Huh, guess you're gonna have to build a second one.

I like the idea of getting a compressor/airbrush, but I think I hate painting and I don’t really have a good area in which to do it. It’s difficult enough for me to get the motivation to panel line. It’s a good suggestion though.

And I’ve just had a look at a picture of the box and I’ve got the RG Freedom Gundam Z.A.F.T., not the MG.

That Gundam 00 is pretty cool looking. They’ve even got an RG Trans-Am version that looks pretty interesting.