As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Federal Congressional Elections 2018] Tester Wins, AZ/FL Too Close

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Would we talk about John Kyl here?

He is apparently McCain's replacement in the Senate

I don't know much about him aside from he's a republican and was a friend to McCain

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Not really on topic since he's being appointed not elected

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He used to be in the Senate, quit to become a lobbyist, and is currently advising Kavanaugh. So yeah. Bad.

Anyway, not up in 2018 so probably not talking about him in here.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Indiana's the one reliably Republican part of the Great Lakes region though, so could a more liberal Democrat win statewide?

I dunno, Donnelly ran unopposed. My gut says probably not, but the flip is the last time someone seen as radically progressive even tried was Obama in 2008 for the presidential run, and he won but then lost in 2012 so maybe?

The biggest issue you get is only a couple of counties really vote democrat, the biggest being Indianapolis. Which is a huge city, but only is strongly democratic in the main part of the city, the suburbs tend to be split or lean republican, depending on where you are.

I just don't see it happening. I mean, I see the usual, very vocal folks who would love to see a progressive Dem run, but for the rest of the voters in the state? Ehhhh...

I feel that the only reason Donnelly has his seat is because of Richard "Yes, I am Aware That We're in the Middle of a General Election but, God Meant for Your Rape Baby to Happen" Mourdock. So Donnelly plays the "I'm a kinda conservative, mid-Western Hoosier, but I'll vote for a Dem for Majority Leader in the Senate" card.

Of course, if you don't give the more progressive candidate a shot at some point, you'll never know. Though, I would note that Liz Watson beat out Dan Canon in the IN-09 primary for the Dem side, and Dan was definitely the more progressive/left of those two candidates.

That's true. I'm just worried that, considering that midterms are heavily dependent on the base to turn out, Hoosier dems might look at Donnelly and going, "meh" and not voting.

Ain't really anything I can do about it though, and the flip is the dem base is overall, for the country, pretty motivated so that will help him.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Pressley/Capuano looks like the only competitive race in Massachusetts. She leads 54-46 with 42% reporting.

Pressley won fairly comfortably in the end in an upset. Capuano conceded early and about as well as could be expected. The Pod Save America people were pleased because for several of them Pressley was one of their first bosses as she was political director for Joe Kennedy II and John Kerry before she got elected to the Boston City Council about a decade ago.

Ideologically there's basically nothing between them (arguably she might be slightly to his right) but he's a 66 year old white man, she's a 44 year old black woman in a 2/3 non-white district. That's oversimplifying it but when ideology basically cancel out and the challenger has good experience, demographics can be a big factor. She is a black woman, and black women are increasingly exerting their power as the base of the Democratic party. She's 20 years his junior. And its a 2/3 non-white district.

ed(corrected Capuano's age)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I think what we are seeing with regards to Capuano is the democratic base being skeptical of having white guys representing them after 2016. He was fairly liberal and reliable vote for minority causes, but in the end I think the Dem base has been burned too many times by white guys going "I am very liberal on the campaign trail" and going centrist in Washington.

Capuano may not have deserved it(arguably), but if this signals an end to those guys in favor of candidates that are of/from/and part of the community that is a good thing. No more white saviors, if minorities and women are going to be helped, they are going to have to help themselves.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Latest poll out of CA-22 has Nunes up (still?! wtf?!) but only by 5. He won in 2016 68-32.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/31/trump-loyalist-devin-nunes-faces-tighter-house-race-in-california.html

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pressley covers my district and I chatted to some of her doorknockers (after explaining I'm a foreigner, I'm not a monster), and they made an extremely good case. I'm glad she got up, even if there's little ideological difference it's a symbol of much needed momentum which hopefully will galvanise people for November.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Latest poll out of CA-22 has Nunes up (still?! wtf?!) but only by 5. He won in 2016 68-32.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/31/trump-loyalist-devin-nunes-faces-tighter-house-race-in-california.html

His district is very red.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the GOP begins their media buy triage:

NRCC IE is canceling spending in Pittsburgh DMA that had been placed for 9/12-10/8.

Still has $$$ in market in place from 10/8 through Election Day

NRCC is also canceling TV spending in the Fresno DMA for 9/12-9/24.

Has spending in market in place for 9/25 through Election Day

Medium Buying is a political ad purchase tracker.

Forced to play defense across the board, we're going to see more of this as the GOP is forced to make choices about where funding goes.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Oh, I know. A drop from +36 to +5 is......amazing. But I'm still just dumbfounded at how this obvious Russian puppet is still up at all.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Also, Obama enters the fray with events in CA and OH:
    Having largely avoided campaign activities since leaving office, Mr. Obama’s first public event of the midterm election will take place in Orange County, a traditionally conservative-leaning part of California where Republicans are at risk of losing several House seats. And Mr. Obama is expected to be joined by Democratic candidates from all seven of California’s Republican-held districts that Hillary Clinton carried in 2016.

Mr. Obama intends to campaign next Thursday in Cleveland for Richard Cordray, a former bank regulator in his administration who is the Democratic nominee for Ohio governor. Republicans have held total control of the state government since the 2010 election, and Mr. Obama helped encourage Mr. Cordray, also a former state attorney general, to seek the governorship.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Oh, I know. A drop from +36 to +5 is......amazing. But I'm still just dumbfounded at how this obvious Russian puppet is still up at all.

A big enough portion of voters have literally not read or heard any news in several years about him, but know that he's Republican.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Can't find the article, but apparently the thing working the most against Nunes isn't his Russia stuff, it's that the locals feel he's ignoring them because he hasn't had a town hall in like 10 years.

• Options
  • Options
    Two more generic ballots today.

Rasmussen - D+4
    Economist/YouGov - D+5

Those are.....stark differences from literally every other poll out there.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Ras is likely voters, which is an important note.

• Options

It's also Rasmussen, though.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

It's also Rasmussen, though.

This was my implication. Ras' likely voter screen is... interesting. But it's also generally worth noting likely voter vs. registered voters. Given the enthusiasm gap, there might be an advantage for Democrats when that happens.

• Options
    Two more generic ballots today.

Rasmussen - D+4
    Economist/YouGov - D+5

Those are.....stark differences from literally every other poll out there.

They're generally well in line with the other ones from these outlets, so I'd focus more on trendlines for the outlet.

Rasmussen (most recent is first):

D+4, D+5, Tie, D+7, D+4, D+7, D+7

YouGov:

D+5, D+6, D+4, D+3, D+4, D+6

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh man there’s me momentarily freaking out about polls before collecting myself. Yep it’s an election thread alright!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    In MA03, we won't know the real winner for a bit as 52 votes (0.03%) split Lori Trahan (a former Marty Meehan staffer) and Dan Koh (a former Marty Walsh Chief of Staff) in a crowded field. Provisionals and a few late absentee votes will come in and then there will likely be a recount.
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I think what we are seeing with regards to Capuano is the democratic base being skeptical of having white guys representing them after 2016. He was fairly liberal and reliable vote for minority causes, but in the end I think the Dem base has been burned too many times by white guys going "I am very liberal on the campaign trail" and going centrist in Washington.

Capuano may not have deserved it(arguably), but if this signals an end to those guys in favor of candidates that are of/from/and part of the community that is a good thing. No more white saviors, if minorities and women are going to be helped, they are going to have to help themselves.

On his voting record I think he certainly didn't deserve it (there's a reason the CBC backed him), but that's not what it was about ultimately. And while black women are so underrepresented that's not entirely an unfair factor to take into account.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Republican Representative Scott W. Taylor did some dirty tricks that will hopefully bite him in his rear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/a-republican-congressman-helped-a-rival-collect-signatures-to-get-on-the-ballot-some-of-those-signatures-were-fake/2018/09/04/3e1c439c-b049-11e8-9a6a-565d92a3585d_story.html
    Taylor is hunkered down in the midst of a strange campaign scandal involving forged signatures on petitions to get a competing candidate into the race. Taylor has been subpoenaed to a court hearing Wednesday in Richmond to determine his role and whether that third candidate is improperly on the ballot, while a special prosecutor separately investigates possible campaign law violations.
    As the deadline for qualifying for the ballot approached in June, Taylor’s campaign took the unusual step of gathering signatures for an independent competitor. Shaun Brown had been his Democratic opponent in 2016 — and he beat her by 22 points — but she was now under the cloud of a federal fraud investigation and had no party support to run again. So Taylor’s staffers mounted a last-minute push and turned in nearly 600 signatures for Brown, giving her more than the 1,000 needed to qualify.

Taylor’s help came to light in a local television report a month ago. Since then, questions have emerged about dozens of the signatures turned in by Taylor’s staff. Some belonged to dead people, many signed in similar handwriting. Even the name of local Republican Del. Glenn R. Davis Jr. was apparently forged, and his name misspelled.
    Lindsey Terry, who has done tech work for the local Democratic committee, looked at the petition documents posted by WHRO and noticed something strange: One petition showed that her neighbor had signed, but the neighbor moved away several years ago.

When Terry posted on social media that she had found a forged signature, she said she got a phone call from Taylor.

“He seemed frantic,” Terry said. “He definitely was trying to intimidate me to take it down.” She said that while Taylor took the tone of a “good guy” just trying to help, he told her she could be sued and said someone had driven by her house to confirm her address.

In an exchange with Terry on Twitter, Taylor acknowledged speaking with her.

Terry and other local party activists identified more forged signatures. The Virginian-Pilot newspaper identified 59 fraudulent signatures, including those of four dead people, all on petitions gathered by Taylor staffers.

If you are going to get signatures for an independent candidate to act as a spoiler candidate, you probably shouldn't forge the signatures.

The judge has ordered the spoiler candidate struck from the ballot due to fraud.

• Options
    Republican Representative Scott W. Taylor did some dirty tricks that will hopefully bite him in his rear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/a-republican-congressman-helped-a-rival-collect-signatures-to-get-on-the-ballot-some-of-those-signatures-were-fake/2018/09/04/3e1c439c-b049-11e8-9a6a-565d92a3585d_story.html
    Taylor is hunkered down in the midst of a strange campaign scandal involving forged signatures on petitions to get a competing candidate into the race. Taylor has been subpoenaed to a court hearing Wednesday in Richmond to determine his role and whether that third candidate is improperly on the ballot, while a special prosecutor separately investigates possible campaign law violations.
    As the deadline for qualifying for the ballot approached in June, Taylor’s campaign took the unusual step of gathering signatures for an independent competitor. Shaun Brown had been his Democratic opponent in 2016 — and he beat her by 22 points — but she was now under the cloud of a federal fraud investigation and had no party support to run again. So Taylor’s staffers mounted a last-minute push and turned in nearly 600 signatures for Brown, giving her more than the 1,000 needed to qualify.

Taylor’s help came to light in a local television report a month ago. Since then, questions have emerged about dozens of the signatures turned in by Taylor’s staff. Some belonged to dead people, many signed in similar handwriting. Even the name of local Republican Del. Glenn R. Davis Jr. was apparently forged, and his name misspelled.
    Lindsey Terry, who has done tech work for the local Democratic committee, looked at the petition documents posted by WHRO and noticed something strange: One petition showed that her neighbor had signed, but the neighbor moved away several years ago.

When Terry posted on social media that she had found a forged signature, she said she got a phone call from Taylor.

“He seemed frantic,” Terry said. “He definitely was trying to intimidate me to take it down.” She said that while Taylor took the tone of a “good guy” just trying to help, he told her she could be sued and said someone had driven by her house to confirm her address.

Terry and other local party activists identified more forged signatures. The Virginian-Pilot newspaper identified 59 fraudulent signatures, including those of four dead people, all on petitions gathered by Taylor staffers.

If you are going to get signatures for an independent candidate to act as a spoiler candidate, you probably shouldn't forge the signatures.

The judge has ordered the spoiler candidate struck from the ballot due to fraud.

Shoulda struck the Republican who was perpetrating the fraud >_>

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see the relevant law enforcement and regulatory bodies get right on investigating that.

After all, election integrity is a cornerstone of democracy.

I mean, it's not like voter ID and redistricting, and roll purges are there for partisan gain. They're there to serve the public trust, and make sure elections are the will of the people.

Right?

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see the relevant law enforcement and regulatory bodies get right on investigating that.

I mean, it's not like voter ID and redistricting, and roll purges are there for partisan gain. They're there to serve the public trust, and make sure elections are the will of the people.

Right?

There is a criminal investigation going on over this currently.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Right?

But will there be consequences? That's more the issue I have. And the one I'm most skeptical on.

But having an investigation is a good first step though.

• Options

Right?

But will there be consequences? That's more the issue I have. And the one I'm most skeptical on.

But having an investigation is a good first step though.

Being negative and speculating on this further isn't going to be productive. We can reopen discussion when there's news about the investigation.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Quid wrote: »
    There's a shot at Washington state's eighth district going blue with Kim Schrier. Unfortunately I'm not actually in state and can't volunteer but I donated to her campaign.

more on this: the district includes some slightly red areas like Bellevue and eastern King County, areas that tend to vote for Republicans in the state legislature but also vote for Democratic presidents, as well as some more-right, very agricultural and rural regions like Yakima

Kim Schrier's opponent is Dino Rossi, known idiot and perennial loser; he's tried to win several statewide elections in the past and has never succeeded. I believe his last effort was an attempt to unseat Patty Murray, in what turned out to be a fairly close race. several things are working against him in district 8, primarily 1) he's a smarmy car salesman, and that doesn't play well out there, and 2) he's a carpetbagger, who only moved to the district so he could run there. Kim Schrier has a tough fight ahead of her but she's lived in the area her whole life, and the fact that she works for a living (she is a doctor) should help her a lot.

e: iirc if you totaled up all the D votes and all the R votes in the primary, there were slightly more D votes; obviously that doesn't make it a sure thing, but it's a winnable race

Shorty on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I don't know that there's another politician that gets my immediate gag reflex like Rossi.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

I don't like this line of thinking. It's pointlessly exclusionary. Womens rights and minority rights cost men and white people NOTHING. In fact, womens rights help men. And minority rights help white people. Racism is bad for everyone in a society who is not absurdly rich, because society is an interconnected network which grows stronger as each node (person) grows stronger. Locking up minorities, leaving them poorly educated, and then blaming them for their own problems SEEMS to help white people, but I am 100% certain that if we had a control society where noone had ever thought of racism then EVERYONE would be better off. White privilege/the patriarchy just hurts men less than it does women and minorities. It doesn't actually make their lives better.

In todays world, Laura Sanchez is forced to work as a cleaner while Peter Adams got the help he needed to become a Doctor. In a better world, Laura Sanchez became an Engineer and Peter Adams still got the help he needed to become a Doctor because society was a stronger, more connected and better place.

This is not a zero sum game. Helping minorities is not going to make society weaker, it will make it stronger, richer and fairer.

A good example is this. One of the MOST succesful ways to get more women into upper management and equalize pay is (surprizingly) giving fathers paternity leave and forcing them to 'use it or lose it' rather than give it to their wives. Doing this makes men happier, and women more succesful, and society richer. NOONE HAS TO PAY. Racism and sexism are just bad, they just hurt some people specifically and others generally. Noone but the very very most corrupt actually benefit.

Edit - For a good control experiment, consider the North and South of the United States before the war. Neither is a egalitarian place, but in the North there is more Democracy, and more equality between the races. The south gained an initial boost to its wealth because Slaves CAN do work, but eventually the North became a better place to be whether you were black OR white. Not having slaves didn't cost those white people a penny. In fact, it made them vastly richer.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don't know that there's another politician that gets my immediate gag reflex like Rossi.

More than Cruz?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

More than Cruz?

Yeah he's just a contemptible dweeb.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

I don't like this line of thinking. It's pointlessly exclusionary. Womens rights and minority rights cost men and white people NOTHING. In fact, womens rights help men. And minority rights help white people. Racism is bad for everyone in a society who is not absurdly rich, because society is an interconnected network which grows stronger as each node (person) grows stronger. Locking up minorities, leaving them poorly educated, and then blaming them for their own problems SEEMS to help white people, but I am 100% certain that if we had a control society where noone had ever thought of racism then EVERYONE would be better off. White privilege/the patriarchy just hurts men less than it does women and minorities. It doesn't actually make their lives better.

In todays world, Laura Sanchez is forced to work as a cleaner while Peter Adams got the help he needed to become a Doctor. In a better world, Laura Sanchez became an Engineer and Peter Adams still got the help he needed to become a Doctor because society was a stronger, more connected and better place.

This is not a zero sum game. Helping minorities is not going to make society weaker, it will make it stronger, richer and fairer.

A good example is this. One of the MOST succesful ways to get more women into upper management and equalize pay is (surprizingly) giving fathers paternity leave and forcing them to 'use it or lose it' rather than give it to their wives. Doing this makes men happier, and women more succesful, and society richer. NOONE HAS TO PAY. Racism and sexism are just bad, they just hurt some people specifically and others generally. Noone but the very very most corrupt actually benefit.

Edit - For a good control experiment, consider the North and South of the United States before the war. Neither is a egalitarian place, but in the North there is more Democracy, and more equality between the races. The south gained an initial boost to its wealth because Slaves CAN do work, but eventually the North became a better place to be whether you were black OR white. Not having slaves didn't cost those white people a penny. In fact, it made them vastly richer.

I know you have a lot to say, but can you please make an effort to keep things on topic to the thread. I.e. a thread about electing representatives to government.

• Options
    Okay wait haha
    Only registered Democrats and Republicans can vote in their own party’s primaries. In the Republican one, Walden got more votes than all seven Democrats combined.

Yeah she's not going to win, but she'll make him spend more money than he usually would I guess

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Okay wait haha
    Only registered Democrats and Republicans can vote in their own party’s primaries. In the Republican one, Walden got more votes than all seven Democrats combined.

Yeah she's not going to win, but she'll make him spend more money than he usually would I guess

Eh, nothing is really readable from Primaries like that. Republicans vote FAR more than democrats in party primaries.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Okay wait haha

Eh, nothing is really readable from Primaries like that. Republicans vote FAR more than democrats in party primaries.

Not really true universally this time around, though.

This discussion has been closed.