Options

A [Dragon Quest] Thread Is Too Busy Dancing!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    What the fuck is Erik's accent?

It’s British when you first encounter him, and his VA is British... I shall have to listen more tonight!

Still British!
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I don't know if any other DQs before XI did this but
    you get more party members than slots and can swap 'em in and out mid battle and they all get normal exp. So that's neat

I’m pretty sure most of them do this though I’m not 100% certain on the XP front.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would be very surprised if the VA's were anything but British considering that is the very first thing I remarked on in DQ Heroes was "Why is it EVERYONE in this game has such a bad British accent? ...Are they bad British accents? Maybe they're normal British accents?"

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are the colours really over saturated in this game?

Especially greens. Grass can look downright neon in the sunlight.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I made it through the mountain climb at the beginning.

They do start you off with a magic spell.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cannot wait to dive in again tonight. I only got to the first big city the other night after about 3 hours of play. Game just has such a great sense of adventure and I just want to explore every nook and cranny.
    Madican wrote: »
    I've played DQ7 on the Playstation many years ago and ended up putting it down because I got stuck on a robot island and everything could ultramurder me so I couldn't go back or forward.

I also played DQ8 on the 3DS about a year ago and got through the first dungeon but eventually drifted away from it because of combat? I don't really remember, the game didn't make much of an impact on me with the story at that point.

Seeing DQ11 hyped so much has me interested, but also wary. I'd want to know more about if the story is decent and also how characterization is for party members.

I don't know what changes they made to the 3DS version but this feels very much just like a more modern and QOL updated version of VIII. So if you weren't a fan of that this one may not be your thing either.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Skill seeds needed to max out every character at 99, in case anyone is compelled to grind that hard (party member spoilers):

Hero: 14 seeds
    Erik: 3 seeds
    Veronica: 12 seeds
    Serena: 12 seeds
    Sylvando: 12 seeds
    Rab: 5 seeds
    Jade: 3 seeds

Respeccing is available from Hotto, 6 or so hours in. Encountered my first metal slimes at around the 10 hour mark if you're not sure if it's worth picking that skill up in Swords. Really enjoying this so far.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Played this for about an hour Tuesday night, liked it so far. Hoping to play more tonight and this weekend.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    What is the Dragon Quest religion called?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What is the Dragon Quest religion called?

"Vague Off-brand Catholicism"

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    It would be interesting if they had a Jesus figure.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Rocket Slime died for your sins.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have a love/hate relationship with the religion in DQ.

• Options
    How do you like those Needlers?

• Options
    Does this one have the mobile caskets when party members die?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I kind of want to try this since Ni No Kuni 2's story was so disappointing even though I loved the gameplay.

I'm worried that this will be the opposite though, that Dragon Quest's gameplay is too old school for me. Worried about having to grind to overcome difficulty and stuff. I like being overleveled via doing sidequests and thus demolishing the main quest.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    How do you like those Needlers?

I thwack em with my broadsword and they die.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I love my bubblegum punk thief bro

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Rocket Slime was an amazing game.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

The other games in the series not getting localizations is a tragedy.

• Options
    Gaming protip: be sure to get the juicy hint from the guy in downtown heliodor.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

There are other games in the series?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I ate an engineer
  • Options

So the original original Rocket Slime was a GBA game

the one we got in the US was the sequel, for the DS obviously.

And then with the 3DS they had one that took place at the sea and there were sea battles and we never got it and I'm so angry.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a47zbhZeXw4
    pb93hivxgnjk.png

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

So the original original Rocket Slime was a GBA game

the one we got in the US was the sequel, for the DS obviously.

And then with the 3DS they had one that took place at the sea and there were sea battles and we never got it and I'm so angry.

Oh my goooooooooood

I think I might hate you just for letting me know this exists and that I can't have it

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Just gimme a Rocket Slime anime

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man I am really, really loving this game so far.

So much so that I don't wanna go on vacation tomorrow!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I have only reached the part where the hero is about to leave his home village.
    The village is going to be razed to the ground, right? That’s how the cliche goes.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I couldn't play this game yet but I want to say that Dragon Warrior Monsters was the shit

Peas on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It would be interesting if they had a Jesus figure.

It's both unclear and unimportant whether Rubiss and the Goddess are the same figure.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    6 hours in and I just got 1 extra member and access to the skill panel.

This is gonna be a big adventure and I love it.

Oh also pro-tip: the order of your characters matters. Furthest left will be targeted most, furthest right the least.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Important question: in the new game can you change the look of your characters in any way? Like in dragon quest 8 the weapons would obviously change when you equipped a different one, but costumes only changed if you put on certain pieces of specific outfits (like the bunny costume)

Cause by far the biggest disappointment going from DQ7 to DQ8 was that there was no more dress up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    They should mash everything together into one game.

Dragon Quest Warrior Hero Builders XII: The Zodiac Age

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Slimekind Divided

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I don't know if any other DQs before XI did this but
    you get more party members than slots and can swap 'em in and out mid battle and they all get normal exp. So that's neat

I loved that in FFX.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Important question: in the new game can you change the look of your characters in any way? Like in dragon quest 8 the weapons would obviously change when you equipped a different one, but costumes only changed if you put on certain pieces of specific outfits (like the bunny costume)

Cause by far the biggest disappointment going from DQ7 to DQ8 was that there was no more dress up

A bit. There are certain pieces of armor that change the look of your characters. They are marked with a little pink star thingy. There are a handful of outfits for each character but all the armor does not change their appearance.

• Options
    Oh man, getting some real DQV vibes from this sequence.
    The main character talks??

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I've never touched a DQ game before but for some reason really want to play this.

But also I have 0 time for new games right now and if I can wait till New Years or whenever it'll probably be on sale anyways.

But also it's so shiny and I hate waiting ugh...

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hell yeah

who's ready for some puff-puff

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Hell yeah, I'ma puff puff till I die

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    gonna get a "puff" tattoo on both sets of my knuckles

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)