As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Hey! I just saw that a new forumer has started a 5e pbp! I spend too much time in my bookmarked discussions and not enough casting around for new topics.

Good for you @Draconiclast Have fun! :)

• Options
    DraconiclastDraconiclast Registered User regular
    Thanks @Steelhawk , my first pbp game and I'm loving it already. Definitely plan to be a mainstay around here.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
  • Options
    Nerdsamwich Nerdsamwich Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

A pipe that alleviates exhaustion once per day sounds right up his alley.
    I'd even be tempted to give it additional smoke - based powers, like the ability to cast Stinking Cloud or Obscuring Mist. Love it when players have a flavorful bag of tricks.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I'd even be tempted to give it additional smoke - based powers, like the ability to cast Stinking Cloud or Obscuring Mist. Love it when players have a flavorful bag of tricks.

That's not a terrible idea. Maybe that is something that can be added later through the use of enhanced pipe tobacco in the future.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

A modified prestidigitation to allow you to shape the smoke into specific shapes.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I didn't see it posted here, but popular D&D twitch stream Critical Role has a new animated intro that really makes me want someone to just take a good D&D campaign and make it an animted series (cutting to real life when appropriate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2o_bVkgPA

also it makes bladelock look fucking sweet and it's one of my favorite classes, and has an awesome interpretation of Destroy Undead

override367 on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

A modified prestidigitation to allow you to shape the smoke into specific shapes.

There is a common magic item in Xanathar's that does this I believe.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Nerdsamwich Nerdsamwich Registered User regular

A brass dragon's sleep gas.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I didn't see it posted here, but popular D&D twitch stream Critical Role has a new animated intro that really makes me want someone to just take a good D&D campaign and make it an animted series (cutting to real life when appropriate)

also it makes bladelock look fucking sweet and it's one of my favorite classes, and has an awesome interpretation of Destroy Undead

Series 1 of CR is slowly being released as a comic book and I think that The Adventure Zone has an animated thing going on. Zee Bashew made a bunch of hilarious shorts form season 1 of the "C"-team.

There's more, Im sure.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Fun fact: The song was written and performed by at least 4 members of the cast.

Edit: Laura & Ashley on Vocals, Sam and Travis on backing vocals and Sam wrote the lyrics. No idea who did the music or animation.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    that is exquisitely geeky and I love it

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So one of my players got his hands on the stone of Golorr (which is creepy as fuck for spoilery reasons) in Dragonheist and hilarity ensued as we rolled on the table for minor detrimental and beneficial powers; While I can't for the life of me remember what the beneficial power was, the detrimental one was the ability to change the appearance of the character as I see fit and rather ammusingly the way the effect is listed doesn't seem to indicate that this is a one time thing (nor is there a clear indication that he will revert to normal if his attunement is severed).

Now, for my part I've decided that I'm going to try and maintain a certain aesthetic whilst mutating the player's character; he's playing as a kenku and I have every intention of maintaining his avian nature, It's just he's going to start taking on traits from other birds that rather clearly aren't corvids.

So far, he's molted (similar to a turkey or vulture but full body) and had his beak reshaped to resemble a toucan's, but I'd like to keep adding traits for as long as both me and the player (who's almost as amused as I am) find this entertaining.

So I'm curious: What bird traits should I give this guy going forward? These can't be things that give him disadvantages or advantages or do huge alterations to the character (I.E. changing size classes or turning him into some sort of bird taur) but pretty much anything else is fair game appearance wise...

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular

Fun fact: The song was written and performed by at least 4 members of the cast.

Edit: Laura & Ashley on Vocals, Sam and Travis on backing vocals and Sam wrote the lyrics. No idea who did the music or animation.

I believe the music was arranged by Jason Charles Miller (of Godhead), a long time friend of the show who's done every version of the main theme, along with some community contributions, this guy was specifically mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQC2HyhgTc

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So one of my players got his hands on the stone of Golorr (which is creepy as fuck for spoilery reasons) in Dragonheist and hilarity ensued as we rolled on the table for minor detrimental and beneficial powers; While I can't for the life of me remember what the beneficial power was, the detrimental one was the ability to change the appearance of the character as I see fit and rather ammusingly the way the effect is listed doesn't seem to indicate that this is a one time thing (nor is there a clear indication that he will revert to normal if his attunement is severed).

Now, for my part I've decided that I'm going to try and maintain a certain aesthetic whilst mutating the player's character; he's playing as a kenku and I have every intention of maintaining his avian nature, It's just he's going to start taking on traits from other birds that rather clearly aren't corvids.

So far, he's molted (similar to a turkey or vulture but full body) and had his beak reshaped to resemble a toucan's, but I'd like to keep adding traits for as long as both me and the player (who's almost as amused as I am) find this entertaining.

So I'm curious: What bird traits should I give this guy going forward? These can't be things that give him disadvantages or advantages or do huge alterations to the character (I.E. changing size classes or turning him into some sort of bird taur) but pretty much anything else is fair game appearance wise...

Wattles and comb. Webbed toes like a blue footed booby. All the tail feathers. Those pom pom looking feathers on his dome. A kiwi's beak. Teeth on his tongue (like a goose.)

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Flamingo legs.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLpZn4B7b0

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ostrich neck.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Peacock tail feathers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    the ability to rotate his head 360 degrees like an owl

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hollow bones.

• Options
    MAKE HIS BEAK A PELICAN POUCH AND MAKE A DRUNK WIZARD TURN IT INTO A BAG OF HOLDING

• Options
    I love you all.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    He subtly begins changing color to match whatever his favorite food it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLpZn4B7b0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOLTj7Y268s

Or the Lyrebird's sound mimicry (don't have that link right now, cause in train. Don't ask me why I have the above link saved).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

I believe the artifact table lists that detrimental effect as "while attuned"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Why you gotta ruin the fun, man?

Edit: There should have been a big :) on the original post

Steelhawk on
  • Options

I will totally Rule Zero this shit.

Also, I specifically warned the players that the Stone was quite possibly dangerous; Jarlaxle let them attune to it because he thought it might have some sort of a trap and a player who identified it was warned that it was a sentient artifact, so it's not like it's coming completely out of the blue.

• Options
    I enjoy how y'all are talkin as if anyone thinks a bipedal crow is ever gonna give up the shiniest rock they've ever seen.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    I enjoy how y'all are talkin as if anyone thinks a bipedal crow is ever gonna give up the shiniest rock they've ever seen.

Currently playing a Kenku, totally agree.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Bird of Thesus is a thing now, I see.

If you change it enough times, is it still a crow?

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also I double checked the entry on appearance changes, and the line says that while they're attuned their appearance changes as I decide; it doesn't stipulate that he reverts if he loses connection to the thing, and given that other entries talk about what happens when you lose atunement, I'm pretty sure this is a case of natural language putting it at the discretion of the GM, so this bird is going full cronenberg.
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Bird of Thesus is a thing now, I see. If you change it enough times, is it still a crow?

Only one way to find out!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    First post of 2019! I hope everyones year is full of crits and that not a single session is canceled. My first game of the year is tomorrow. My group is finishing up LMOP, before getting into Storm Kings Thunder. We're heading off to Thundertree and I'm excited to see what our DM has in store for us.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Spent new year's eve with my kids playing D&D 5E in the morning and Gamma World in the evening. It was a solid day.

I've been spending new year's day printing minis and painting an owlbear, so another solid day.

2018 closed out right, 2019 is off to a good start.

• Options
    Denada wrote: »
    Spent new year's eve with my kids playing D&D 5E in the morning and Gamma World in the evening. It was a solid day.

I've been spending new year's day printing minis and painting an owlbear, so another solid day.

Which version of Gamma world, the one based on D&D 4e?

• Options
    I was reminded, at a New Years party, that our next LMOP session is this Friday. Yikes. I forgot about that in the hubbub of lost time that is X-Mas break with little ones.

Worst part is.... I think I'm hosting so I'll need to clean the house. At least someone else is buying the pizza. :)

Happy New Year, thread!

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yup, the best one. :wink:

I will say it was an interesting shift going from 1st level 5E to 1st level 4E-lite in the same day. At 1st level the Gamma World characters felt so much more powerful than the 5E characters, but the combat is balanced in such a way that they're still in danger, so in a way the gameplay experience between the two editions was very similar. The major differences were that the Gamma World characters had more choices at 1st level and there were more things to keep track of, like immobilized until the end of your next turn, or weakened save ends, or combat advantage until the start of this other character's next turn, etc.

Overall though, I really enjoyed going back to Gamma World. I've been having a lot of fun running 5E, but running Gamma World again was like putting on my favorite old sweatshirt.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    On Christmas Eve, we did our Krampus side quest. Had a lot of fun with it. Busted out a white battlemap, had made some snow mounds, and used those Christmas scenery pine trees which look really great for this kind of Winter theme.

There was Krampus, a Frost Giant, and some little "helpers" (used duergars with ice picks)

Krampus was summoned in a dark ritual to the quiet logging town they had been to before. In my world, he basically has to be summoned ("Invited In") to a town. So he started a few miles outside of time and was making his way there slowly. The party meets him outside of the town's limit in a mostly open, snowy field.

The entire time, Krampus was dragging a bag behind him that trailed blood, the insides of the bag slowly moving with faint childish sounds of pain coming from inside.

Krampus also kept supplying the frost giant more ice boulders to throw at people from within this magical bag, only these boulders had frozen tiny hands and feet in different areas and on closer inspection, had children's faces buried in horror within.

When Krampus was defeated (along with the others), the mythical being turned to ash and was banished back to his realm but left his bag for a moment. The party rushed to the bag to try and see if they could save any children within.

The Paladin opens the bag and succeeds at his Wisdom saving throw to the otherworldly madness and eldritch horror that's locked within the bag, only taking 30 psychic damage instead of 60 and being stunned for a week. They close the bag up and soon, the bag disappears in dust and goes to refind it's master in it's home plane.

They went back to the town to tell them of what they did and they are celebrated as heroes.

My older brother who was visited was playing an Eldritch Knight (those guys are awesome it turns out and hard to hit if built for it).

Squee, the sister in law's Goblin, demanded that instead of Gold (which doesn't taste good), she only wanted a signed certificate from the village saying that Squee was a GOOD AND HELPFUL goblin. She has started to collect these as proof as she goes.

The bard got to shine in moments of giving inspiration which allowed misses to turn into CRITS FOR A KRAJILLION FRIGGEN DAMAGE (Paladin Smiting Crits SUUUUUCK to balance for, you guys).

Gunslinger and Paladin did the big damage, while EK did the Sentinel shenanigans to all but Krampus who could misty step for free. Everyone did their part, with the Bard even getting killing blow thanks to using wand of fireball with maximum charges.

Every had a lot of fun and hit level 10.

Christmas Eve was awesome.

AND I got a Frost Giant miniature for Christmas so even better!

• Options
    S
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yup, the best one. :wink:

I will say it was an interesting shift going from 1st level 5E to 1st level 4E-lite in the same day. At 1st level the Gamma World characters felt so much more powerful than the 5E characters, but the combat is balanced in such a way that they're still in danger, so in a way the gameplay experience between the two editions was very similar. The major differences were that the Gamma World characters had more choices at 1st level and there were more things to keep track of, like immobilized until the end of your next turn, or weakened save ends, or combat advantage until the start of this other character's next turn, etc.

Overall though, I really enjoyed going back to Gamma World. I've been having a lot of fun running 5E, but running Gamma World again was like putting on my favorite old sweatshirt.

I love gamma world as well. Id say level 1 4e characters are like 3rd level 5e characters. Level 1-2 really are for new player break in/old school lethality. I'd probably still onboard new 5e players at 2nd level.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Someone asked me about doing D&D in space, so I’m musing on a campaign setting, what do you guys think?
    • If this be D&D in space rather than another system dedicated to it, let’s keep the classic monsters and dungeon delving. Like literally, displacer beasts are out there, dragons sleep on anstroid hordes.
    • Everyone still uses swords or what are basically bows, but they’re laser, plasma, super carbon, etc versions.
    • No rapid fire rifles because everyone’s clothing has a thin level of hard light shielding. If it’s a ranged then it needs to pack a lot of punch (but really it’s stat-wise a shortbow).
    • Everyone from the generic fantasy world made it, and they’re in a loose alliance. Ships will be crewed with humans, elves, dwarves etc.
    • Building on that, most planets have a few different aliens on them a piece, rather than one specie as we’re used to imagining. Unless there was a disaster or they’re evil and killed the rest.
    • Magic exists alongside technology and every spaceship runs on both. Great handwave for warp speed and teleportation. It really is just magic.
    • Ancient aliens left behind dungeons on every planet. Lots of the ones heroes delved into in the past were made by these guys. Eventually how to get to space was found in a ruin, and that’s how everyone got into space, more or less.
    • Space has uncommon but not totally rare pockets of breathable atmosphere. Like a rock pool at a beach these areas are seeming with life. Picture moss covered asteroids and space whales, thousands of varieties of some odd jellyfish things or four eyed birds.
    • Much rarer, space has rifts into elemental planes and the like. The Delta quadrant? It’s just endlessly flowing water. I guess space is room temperature.
    • All the same gods exist throughout the galaxy, with names and faces to suit other followers.
    • Gods created multiple species throughout the galaxy. Say the dwarves and some warrior ant people were made by the same god etc.
    Thoughts?

Because otherwise you may as well pick up a system for it rather than slowly changing everything in D&D 5e.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    That sounds awesome. Check out Matt Colville's Strongholds and Followers supplement. It has rules for running a pirate ship as a mobile base which I would think would be awesome transferred over to a spaceship.

This discussion has been closed.