As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    All that Xanathar's needed to be a PHB2 was some new races.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Denada wrote: »
    They put the new races in a DM book because 5E.

They aren't publishing as many so they want to make sure the players want to buy a bunch of them.

Not today Satan, I ain't paying $50 for six races!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm getting nerd angry at D&D beyond for being so slow to update features

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Welp, my FLGS had the DMG and Monster Manual, so I got to support local businesses

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular

I'd sell your soul for proper container and storage implementation.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options

I'd sell your soul for proper container and storage implementation.

And I'd sell your soul for that as well

if we can get like 9 others I think we can make one lich

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Storage for the 5th edition books? Michael's has a wood crate.They fit perfectly.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I used to prefer to support FLGS too.

Then I discovered that the FLGS I frequented in Toronto marked UP the prices beyond the usual US to Canada raping we get. While online retailers like Chapters would freely send it to my door for 34% BELOW msrp.

Sorry Neckbeard Tony. Your gouging of the needs will not be stood for anymore.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I used to prefer to support FLGS too.

Then I discovered that the FLGS I frequented in Toronto marked UP the prices beyond the usual US to Canada raping we get. While online retailers like Chapters would freely send it to my door for 34% BELOW msrp.

Sorry Neckbeard Tony. Your gouging of the needs will not be stood for anymore.

Like, I'm OK with a small mark up for the luxury of getting to pick your copy from a pile without running the risk of a misprint, but that's worth 1$ or somesuch.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Its also possible that the FLGS simly doesnt do enough buisness at retail. They cant compete with online anyway so they have to charge due to lower volume.

Its one reason why even in largish cities the number of FLGS are small and the number of “gaming cafes” are on the rise.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So what dont people like about the artificer class?

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    It's boring.

• Options
    edited May 2019

Its unfocused: It has multiple conflicting mechanics. All of which seem thematic enough to build the class off of but not enough to make it work properly.

Example: The class gets 2 attacks/round and has spells/effects that make their attacks better... but the only martial weapon they get access to is crossbows... which you may not make more than 1 attack/round with.

Its a pet class: Pets suck. The artificer pets actually aren't that bad but they're still pets and therefore still bad. Pets are bad because they add tactical complexity and record keeping for little value. Familiars are about as combat focused as pets should get

It does not level smooth: The main thing here is that, an idealized class would make the same decision at for what to choose at level 1 regardless of what level the character was created at. The Artificer is 100% top notch not this. Easily the worst class in the game in this regards.

It isn't unique: The way in which it achieves things is well.. "the way all the other classes achieve things". This is exemplified by its new spell! Yea new spells! Oh its just a slightly modified Hunters Mark.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of the Alchemist was throwing weird shit around the field of battle. Is that completely gone now?

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Mine is just a reshapen Warlock.

I think the pact magic system for spellcasting works a lot better for Artificers, with Invocations becoming Inventions.

Here is what the base class chassis looks like right now:

CUT BECAUSE GOUMINDONG IS MODIFYING IT IN HIS POST

I'm still developing the inventions as well as the three initial subclasses:
    -- Guild of the Cannon: The offensive subclass which grants an alchemical cannon for them to wield and offers gas and fire spells for turning a battlefield into a cursed earth.
    -- Guild of Hospitality: The support subclass focused on healing & aiding their allies through consumable creations.
    -- Guild of the Clockwork Aid: The defensive subclass focused on summoning constructed allies as well as boosting their own abilities through clockwork prosthesis.

If anyone has any initial ideas or critiques, I'd be happy to review them!

OK so i like this base but i want to do new things so here is what I would do. Italics represent additions, Strikethrough represents removal. // represents comment

Class Features
    As an artificer, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per artificer level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per artificer level after 1st

Proficiencies
    Armor: Light armor, Medium Armor
    Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, heavy crossbows, One Handed and Finesse Martial Weapons
    Tools: Thieves’ tools, tinker’s tools, one type of artisan’s tools of your choice // Too many proficiencies... Thieves tools can be achieved through backgrounds if the player wants. Otherwise the artificer is a fixer and not a thief.
    Saving Throws: Constitution, Intelligence
    Skills: Choose three from Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Sleight of Hand

Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
    -- any two simple weapons, or a martial weapon
    -- a light crossbow and 20 bolts
    -- studded leather armor and a shield
    -- thieves’ tools Tinker's Tools and a dungeoneer’s pack

Guild Tutelage Breakthrough!
    At 1st 3rd level, you have made a miraculous breakthrough and it colors your future research:
    -- Guild of the Cannon Breakthrough of the Warforged
    -- Guild of Hospitality Breakthrough of Alchemy
    -- Guild of the Clockwork Aid Breakthrough of Flesh
    Your choice grants you features at 1st, 3rd level and again at 6th, and 10th level.

Magic Item Analysis
    Starting at 1st level, your understanding of magic items allows you to analyze and understand their secrets. You know the artificer spells detect magic and identify, and you can cast them as rituals. You don’t need to provide a material component when casting identify with this class feature.
    Imbued Magic
    You have studied the workings of magic, how to channel it through objects, and how to awaken it within them. As a result, you have gained a limited ability to cast spells. To observers, you don’t appear to be casting spells in a conventional way; you look as if you’re producing wonders through various items.

Tools Required
    You produce your artificer spell effects through your tools. You must have a spellcasting focus – specifically some kind of artisan’s tool – in hand when you cast any spell with this Spellcasting feature. You must be proficient with the tool to use it in this way. After you gain the Infuse Item feature at 2nd level, you can also use any item bearing one of your infusions as a spellcasting focus. your items. You must have a spellcasting focus - one specific item for each spell you know - at hand when you cast the specific spell associated with it. These items take up normal magical item slots but do not count against your list of attuned items. They only work for you. They are considered magical.

Cantrips
    You know two cantrips of your choice from the artificer spell list. You learn additional artificer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Artificer table. Cantrips may be attached to any one item you posses but this item need not be unique like normal spells. So you may have two cantrips associated with your weapon that also has a first level spell associated with it.

Spell Slots
    The Artificer table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your artificer spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest. For example, when you are 5th level, you have two 3rd-level spell slots. To cast the 1st-level spell grease, you must spend one of those slots, and you cast it as a 3rd-level spell.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
    At 1st level, you know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the artificer spell list.
    The Spells Known column of the Artificer table shows when you learn more artificer spells of your choice of 1st level or higher. A spell you choose must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level. When you reach 6th level, for example, you learn a new artificer spell, which can be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level. When you learn a spell you must associate an item with that spell to be that spells focus. That item may be any item regardless of whether its magical so long as its associated with a slot on your character sheet. No two spells of first level or above can have the same spell focus. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the artificer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the artificer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots. You may also modify the focus of any one spell you know to another item.

Spellcasting Ability
    Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your artificer spells; your understanding of the theory behind magic allows you to wield these spells with superior skill. You use your Intelligence whenever an artificer spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for an artificer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
    Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
    Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Ritual Casting
    You can cast an artificer spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have it as a known spell.
    Infuse Item
    At 2nd level, you gain the ability to construct temporary magic items. The magic items you create with this feature are effectively prototypes of permanent items, held together only through your expert maintenance.

Infusing an Item
    During a long rest, you can tinker with a nonmagical object and over a few hours imbue it with one of your artificer spells known, turning it into a magic item. Any creature holding the item thereafter can use an action to activate the spell if the creature has an Intelligence score of at least 6. The spell is cast using your spellcasting ability, targeting the creature that activates the item. If the spell targets more than one creature, the creature that activates the item selects the additional targets. If the spell has an area of effect, it is centered on the item. If the spell’s range is self, it targets the creature that activates the item. When you infuse a spell in this way, it must be used within 8 hours. After that time, its structural integrity breaks down and it becomes broken. You can have a limited number of infused items at the same time. The number equals your Intelligence modifier.

//This seems to be just like... 1-5 extra spells per day. Which is hella powerful. Even more so when allies can activate those spells for you.

Inventions
    In your study of mechanical supremacy, you have developed inventions, objects of grand power that enable you with an abiding magical ability. At 2nd level, you develop two inventions of your choice. When you gain certain artificer levels, you develop additional inventions of your choice, as shown in the Inventions Known column of the Artificer table. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the inventions you know how to design and replace it with another invention that you could learn at that level. A level prerequisite in an invention refers to artificer level, not character level. Inventions are prototypes and are protected from use by others. They work only for you

Tool Expertise
    Starting at 3rd level, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses your proficiency with a tool.

Ability Score Improvement
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th and 12th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Empowered Attack: When you reach 5th level you gain the ability to channel your spells through an attack. Once per round, as a free action, when you hit with any attack, you may cast any cantrip you know through that weapon. If the spell has a target of self then the creature hit with the attack is the target of the spell. If the spell has a range then the creature hit with the attack may be the target of the spell or the source of the spell. If the spell requires an attack roll the creature automatically fails if it was hit with the triggering attack. This ability does not work with spells that grant you an attack as a part of their casting, either to trigger or be triggered by the ability.

Guild Innovation
    At 11th level, your guild bestows upon you an industry secret called an innovation. Choose one 6th-level spell from the artificer spell list as this innovation. You can cast your innovation spell once without expending a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before you can do so again.
    //I don't like this ability.

Empowered Empowered Attack: When you reach 11th level your empowered attack may be used with any spell you know. You are still limited to one non-cantrip spell per round.

Inventions
    Animalistic Mutagen
    Prerequisite: 7th level
    You can cast Polymorph once using a warlock spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Aquatic Adaptation
    Prerequisite: 5th level
    You can breathe underwater, and you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.
    You can also cast Water Breathing without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Elemental Construct
    Prerequisite: 9th level, Guild of the Clockwork Aid
    You can cast Conjure Elemental once using an artificer spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Feather Failsafe
    You are considered under the effect of the Feather Fall spell at all times. In addition, when falling you can glide ten feet horizontally for every five feet you descend vertically.

Force Field
    As a reaction, you can cast Resilient Sphere around yourself once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Glamer Projection
    You can cast Silent Image at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Goggles of Light
    You can see normally in darkness, both magical and non-magical, to a distance of 120 feet.

Mutagenic Powerup
    You gain proficiency in the Acrobatics and Athletics skills. If you were already proficient you gain expertise //Might make these specific to each feature. One gets strength checks, one gets dexterity checks, one gets constitution checks.

Quickfire Expert Enhanced Reflexes
    Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Cannon feature
    You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore the loading property of any martial weapons with which you are proficient

Quicksmithed Armor
    You can cast Mage Armor on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Rocket Bomb
    Prerequisite: 5th level, Bomb cantrip, Guild of the Cannon feature
    When you cast Bomb, its range is 300 feet. In addition, once per turn, you can expend an artificer spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to all targets, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock all targets prone if any should be Huge or smaller.
    //not bomb focused like warlocks are eldrich blast focused

Shadow Amplifier
    When you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you can use your action to become invisible until you move or take an action or a reaction.

Specialty Explosion
    Prerequisite: Bomb cantrip
    When you cast Bomb, add your Intelligence modifier to the damage it deals towards one individual on a hit. In addition, when you learn this invention you may choose to have your bomb deal acid, cold, lightning, or thunder damage instead of fire. You may only choose one element to substitute for the bomb’s fire damage when learning this invention.

Temporal Dislocation
    You can cast Dimension Door once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Universal Translator
    Prerequisite: 9th level
    You can cast Tongues at will, without expending a spell slot.
    Alchemist Spells
    Cantrips
    -- Bomb
    -- Create Bonfire
    -- Dancing Lights
    -- Light
    -- Lightning Lure
    -- Mage Hand
    -- Mending
    -- Prestidigitation
    -- Produce Flame
    -- Shocking Grasp
    -- Thunderclap
    -- True Strike

1st-level
    -- Absorb Elements
    -- Alarm
    -- Detect Magic
    -- Faerie Fire
    -- Grease
    -- Identify
    -- Illusory Script
    -- Mage Armor
    -- Shield
    -- Silent Image
    -- Sleep
    -- Snare
    -- Tenser’s Floating Disk
    -- Thunderwave
    -- Unseen Servant

2nd-level
    -- Arcane Lock
    -- Arcanist's Magic Aura
    -- Continual Flame
    -- Darkvision
    -- Dragon’s Breath
    -- Find Traps
    -- Heat Metal
    -- Invisibility
    -- Knock
    -- Locate Object
    -- Magic Mouth
    -- Magic Weapon
    -- See Invisibility
    -- Skywrite

3rd-level
    -- Dispel Magic
    -- Fly
    -- Glyph of Warding
    -- Leomund’s Tiny Hut
    -- Lightning Bolt
    -- Protection From Energy
    -- Sending
    -- Tiny Servant

4th-level
    -- Arcane Eye
    -- Fabricate
    -- Fire Shield
    -- Leomund’s Secret Chest
    -- Locate Creature
    -- Stone Shape

5th-level
    -- Animate Objects
    -- Creation
    -- Passwall
    -- Rary’s Telepathic Bond
    -- Teleportation Circle
    -- Transmute Rock
    -- Wall of Stone

6th-level
    -- Arcane Gate
    -- Create Homunculus
    -- Drawmij’s Instant Summons
    -- Globe of Invulnerability
    -- Guards and Wards
    -- Heroes' Feast
    -- Programmed Illusion
    -- True Seeing
    -- Word of Recall
    //artificer doesn't get 6th level spells

Stuff not Done:

Breakthrough of the Warforged would be focused on mechanical augmentations. Basically you've got power armor now. Warrior side of Gish
    Breakthrough of the Alchemist would be focused on throwing concoctions around. Spellcasting damage side of Gish
    Breakthrough of the Flesh would be focused on electricity and reanimation. Spellcasting control side of gish. Frankenstein themed.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    joshgotro wrote: »
    My favorite part of the Alchemist was throwing weird shit around the field of battle. Is that completely gone now?

Yea kindof

link: https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer-2019.pdf

@Zonugal

Forgot to @ you in above post. Was also thinking about increasing number of attuned items and some other things. Slightly concerned that multi-attack and cantrip might be a bit too strong in terms of raw damage (but not all that concerned since you can't get stats to damage on cantrip). Would also limit empowered attack to artificer spells and should have modified the extra attack feature to level 11 (so you could get extra attack normally from other class levels at the same time as you would for the Alchemist)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I still contend the arcane weapon spell would actually be an interesting twist on the huntersmark/hex mold (I think they figured out that any damage add spell has to kinda look like that) by having it target the weapon and affect it directly rather than as something you're channeling through yourself. Make the duration 10 minutes and make up casting it give you more weapons enchanted rather than a longer duration. Many artificer spells are concentration, the likelihood of maintaining the fire sword for more than ten minutes is unlikely, concentrating all day even moreso. Making it so you can buff the swashbuckler with a poison sword that gets around magic resist is dope making a bunch of magic fire swords for the whole party is super dope.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Sleep wrote: »
    I still contend the arcane weapon spell would actually be an interesting twist on the huntersmark/hex mold (I think they figured out that any damage add spell has to kinda look like that) by having it target the weapon and affect it directly rather than as something you're channeling through yourself. Make the duration 10 minutes and make up casting it give you more weapons enchanted rather than a longer duration. Many artificer spells are concentration, the likelihood of maintaining the fire sword for more than ten minutes is unlikely, concentrating all day even moreso. Making it so you can buff the swashbuckler with a poison sword that gets around magic resist is dope making a bunch of magic fire swords for the whole party is super dope.

It is buuuut no one will feel all that great by giving another character a boost to their effectiveness as, more or less, a primary class feature.

Edit: E.G. all the other buffs like that are pretty agnostic with regards to "who does what". Haste gives you a single extra attack, which might be better for the fighter, but not so much so that its terribly significant compared to a wizard with a crossbow. And that would be a more rare buff that a classes signature damage buff.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I think the pact magic system for spellcasting works a lot better for Artificers, with Invocations becoming Inventions.

-- Guild of the Cannon: The offensive subclass which grants an alchemical cannon for them to wield and offers gas and fire spells for turning a battlefield into a cursed earth.
    -- Guild of Hospitality: The support subclass focused on healing & aiding their allies through consumable creations.
    -- Guild of the Clockwork Aid: The defensive subclass focused on summoning constructed allies as well as boosting their own abilities through clockwork prosthesis.

OK so i like this base but i want to do new things so here is what I would do. Italics represent additions, Strikethrough represents removal. // represents comment

Class Features

Hit Points
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per artificer level after 1st

Proficiencies
    Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, heavy crossbows, One Handed and Finesse Martial Weapons
    Tools: Thieves’ tools, tinker’s tools, one type of artisan’s tools of your choice // Too many proficiencies... Thieves tools can be achieved through backgrounds if the player wants. Otherwise the artificer is a fixer and not a thief.
    Skills: Choose three from Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Sleight of Hand

Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

At 1st 3rd level, you have made a miraculous breakthrough and it colors your future research:
    Your choice grants you features at 1st, 3rd level and again at 6th, and 10th level.

Magic Item Analysis
    Starting at 1st level, your understanding of magic items allows you to analyze and understand their secrets. You know the artificer spells detect magic and identify, and you can cast them as rituals. You don’t need to provide a material component when casting identify with this class feature.
    Imbued Magic
    You have studied the workings of magic, how to channel it through objects, and how to awaken it within them. As a result, you have gained a limited ability to cast spells. To observers, you don’t appear to be casting spells in a conventional way; you look as if you’re producing wonders through various items.

Tools Required
    You produce your artificer spell effects through your tools. You must have a spellcasting focus – specifically some kind of artisan’s tool – in hand when you cast any spell with this Spellcasting feature. You must be proficient with the tool to use it in this way. After you gain the Infuse Item feature at 2nd level, you can also use any item bearing one of your infusions as a spellcasting focus. your items. You must have a spellcasting focus - one specific item for each spell you know - at hand when you cast the specific spell associated with it. These items take up normal magical item slots but do not count against your list of attuned items. They only work for you. They are considered magical.

Cantrips
    You know two cantrips of your choice from the artificer spell list. You learn additional artificer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Artificer table. Cantrips may be attached to any one item you posses but this item need not be unique like normal spells. So you may have two cantrips associated with your weapon that also has a first level spell associated with it.

Spell Slots
    The Artificer table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your artificer spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest. For example, when you are 5th level, you have two 3rd-level spell slots. To cast the 1st-level spell grease, you must spend one of those slots, and you cast it as a 3rd-level spell.

At 1st level, you know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the artificer spell list.
    The Spells Known column of the Artificer table shows when you learn more artificer spells of your choice of 1st level or higher. A spell you choose must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level. When you reach 6th level, for example, you learn a new artificer spell, which can be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level. When you learn a spell you must associate an item with that spell to be that spells focus. That item may be any item regardless of whether its magical so long as its associated with a slot on your character sheet. No two spells of first level or above can have the same spell focus. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the artificer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the artificer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots. You may also modify the focus of any one spell you know to another item.

Spellcasting Ability
    Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your artificer spells; your understanding of the theory behind magic allows you to wield these spells with superior skill. You use your Intelligence whenever an artificer spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for an artificer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Ritual Casting
    You can cast an artificer spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have it as a known spell.
    Infuse Item
    At 2nd level, you gain the ability to construct temporary magic items. The magic items you create with this feature are effectively prototypes of permanent items, held together only through your expert maintenance.

Infusing an Item
    During a long rest, you can tinker with a nonmagical object and over a few hours imbue it with one of your artificer spells known, turning it into a magic item. Any creature holding the item thereafter can use an action to activate the spell if the creature has an Intelligence score of at least 6. The spell is cast using your spellcasting ability, targeting the creature that activates the item. If the spell targets more than one creature, the creature that activates the item selects the additional targets. If the spell has an area of effect, it is centered on the item. If the spell’s range is self, it targets the creature that activates the item. When you infuse a spell in this way, it must be used within 8 hours. After that time, its structural integrity breaks down and it becomes broken. You can have a limited number of infused items at the same time. The number equals your Intelligence modifier.

//This seems to be just like... 1-5 extra spells per day. Which is hella powerful. Even more so when allies can activate those spells for you.

Inventions
    In your study of mechanical supremacy, you have developed inventions, objects of grand power that enable you with an abiding magical ability. At 2nd level, you develop two inventions of your choice. When you gain certain artificer levels, you develop additional inventions of your choice, as shown in the Inventions Known column of the Artificer table. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the inventions you know how to design and replace it with another invention that you could learn at that level. A level prerequisite in an invention refers to artificer level, not character level. Inventions are prototypes and are protected from use by others. They work only for you

Tool Expertise
    Starting at 3rd level, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses your proficiency with a tool.

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th and 12th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Empowered Attack: When you reach 5th level you gain the ability to channel your spells through an attack. Once per round, as a free action, when you hit with any attack, you may cast any cantrip you know through that weapon. If the spell has a target of self then the creature hit with the attack is the target of the spell. If the spell has a range then the creature hit with the attack may be the target of the spell or the source of the spell. If the spell requires an attack roll the creature automatically fails if it was hit with the triggering attack. This ability does not work with spells that grant you an attack as a part of their casting, either to trigger or be triggered by the ability.

Guild Innovation
    At 11th level, your guild bestows upon you an industry secret called an innovation. Choose one 6th-level spell from the artificer spell list as this innovation. You can cast your innovation spell once without expending a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before you can do so again.

Empowered Empowered Attack: When you reach 11th level your empowered attack may be used with any spell you know. You are still limited to one non-cantrip spell per round.

Inventions
    Animalistic Mutagen
    You can cast Polymorph once using a warlock spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Aquatic Adaptation
    You can breathe underwater, and you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.
    You can also cast Water Breathing without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Elemental Construct
    You can cast Conjure Elemental once using an artificer spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Feather Failsafe
    You are considered under the effect of the Feather Fall spell at all times. In addition, when falling you can glide ten feet horizontally for every five feet you descend vertically.

Force Field
    As a reaction, you can cast Resilient Sphere around yourself once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Glamer Projection
    You can cast Silent Image at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Goggles of Light
    You can see normally in darkness, both magical and non-magical, to a distance of 120 feet.

Mutagenic Powerup
    You gain proficiency in the Acrobatics and Athletics skills. If you were already proficient you gain expertise //Might make these specific to each feature. One gets strength checks, one gets dexterity checks, one gets constitution checks.

You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore the loading property of any martial weapons with which you are proficient

Quicksmithed Armor
    You can cast Mage Armor on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Rocket Bomb
    When you cast Bomb, its range is 300 feet. In addition, once per turn, you can expend an artificer spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to all targets, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock all targets prone if any should be Huge or smaller.

Shadow Amplifier
    When you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you can use your action to become invisible until you move or take an action or a reaction.

Specialty Explosion
    When you cast Bomb, add your Intelligence modifier to the damage it deals towards one individual on a hit. In addition, when you learn this invention you may choose to have your bomb deal acid, cold, lightning, or thunder damage instead of fire. You may only choose one element to substitute for the bomb’s fire damage when learning this invention.

Temporal Dislocation
    You can cast Dimension Door once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Universal Translator
    Alchemist Spells
    Cantrips
    -- Bomb
    -- Create Bonfire
    -- Dancing Lights
    -- Light
    -- Lightning Lure
    -- Mage Hand
    -- Mending
    -- Prestidigitation
    -- Produce Flame
    -- Shocking Grasp
    -- Thunderclap
    -- True Strike

1st-level
    -- Absorb Elements
    -- Alarm
    -- Detect Magic
    -- Faerie Fire
    -- Grease
    -- Identify
    -- Illusory Script
    -- Mage Armor
    -- Shield
    -- Silent Image
    -- Sleep
    -- Snare
    -- Thunderwave
    -- Unseen Servant

2nd-level
    -- Arcane Lock
    -- Arcanist's Magic Aura
    -- Continual Flame
    -- Darkvision
    -- Dragon’s Breath
    -- Find Traps
    -- Heat Metal
    -- Invisibility
    -- Knock
    -- Locate Object
    -- Magic Mouth
    -- Magic Weapon
    -- See Invisibility
    -- Skywrite

3rd-level
    -- Dispel Magic
    -- Fly
    -- Glyph of Warding
    -- Leomund’s Tiny Hut
    -- Lightning Bolt
    -- Sending
    -- Tiny Servant

4th-level
    -- Arcane Eye
    -- Fabricate
    -- Fire Shield
    -- Locate Creature
    -- Stone Shape

5th-level
    -- Animate Objects
    -- Creation
    -- Passwall
    -- Teleportation Circle
    -- Transmute Rock
    -- Wall of Stone

6th-level
    -- Arcane Gate
    -- Create Homunculus
    -- Guards and Wards
    -- Heroes' Feast
    -- Programmed Illusion
    -- True Seeing
    -- Word of Recall

Stuff not Done:

Breakthrough of the Warforged would be focused on mechanical augmentations. Basically you've got power armor now. Warrior side of Gish
    Breakthrough of the Alchemist would be focused on throwing concoctions around. Spellcasting damage side of Gish
    Breakthrough of the Flesh would be focused on electricity and reanimation. Spellcasting control side of gish. Frankenstein themed.

So the tl;dr of the base class feature is you slot spells into items like materia. Neat.

• Options
    I'm also a fan of warlock style casting on artificers, they just feel like folks that should be able to take a short rest and re prepare some widgets for spells they may want later. I think I like them as kindof spell book type casters still so short rest recharge of spells you have to prepare from your schematics, you invent stuff as you level and you can find schematics as well.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

It is buuuut no one will feel all that great by giving another character a boost to their effectiveness as, more or less, a primary class feature.

I don't think I'd take that as a given, actually, given the existence of, e.g., bards, and people who like to remind others of the "+1 from me!" on attack rolls.

• Options
    Also if im mixing warlock casting and my version of arcane weapon... i'm essentially giving a damage progression like a rogue or better because as you level you always up cast the spell.

You'd max at 5 weapons enchanted, but at 9th level that's probably 9 or 10 attacks you're adding a d6 to.

Sure at best you're dual wielding and getting 3d6 out of the deal, but that's all someone with hunters mark or hex could get as well, you'd be getting way more damage add than that by diffusing it out to multiple party members.

• Options
    edited May 2019

Its unfocused: It has multiple conflicting mechanics. All of which seem thematic enough to build the class off of but not enough to make it work properly.

Example: The class gets 2 attacks/round and has spells/effects that make their attacks better... but the only martial weapon they get access to is crossbows... which you may not make more than 1 attack/round with.

Its a pet class: Pets suck. The artificer pets actually aren't that bad but they're still pets and therefore still bad. Pets are bad because they add tactical complexity and record keeping for little value. Familiars are about as combat focused as pets should get

It does not level smooth: The main thing here is that, an idealized class would make the same decision at for what to choose at level 1 regardless of what level the character was created at. The Artificer is 100% top notch not this. Easily the worst class in the game in this regards.

It isn't unique: The way in which it achieves things is well.. "the way all the other classes achieve things". This is exemplified by its new spell! Yea new spells! Oh its just a slightly modified Hunters Mark.

I've been looking at this alteration to the revisited artificer (I did not make it! I changed a few things in there though, like what the pet can do, i made it cantrip scaling)

I really really like it, there's a summary of changes on page 2, but basically:
    • Alchemist no longer gets a pet, instead they can store spells into potions, must be self or touch, do not consume spell slots to create. They can have a number of potions equal to int mod in existence. Example: Level 3 alchemist with 16 int takes a long rest, wakes up, and can make a potion of Cure Wounds (1d8+3), a potion of Expeditious Retreat, and a potion of Mage Armor, these are not concentration and can be distributed to anyone - but your oldest potion ceases to function if you make a fourth potion as your int mod is only 3
    • Wand subclass no longer has a pet, instead gets to make wands, staves, or rods and gets a chromatic orb-esque cantrip unique to them. Gets all kinds of wand-fu stuff, like casting at point blank or wanding as a reaction
    • Pet class gets to craft ANY beast or humanoid at level 6 as the statblock for their pet, the CR of it is determined by the level of artificer spell that is used to give it life. It does not get any fancy spells or multiattack or whatever from the form's statblock.
    • Instead of a turret, the pet class can activate a turret ability on their pet as a bonus action once per rest, when active they can use bonus actions to keep doing the thing
    • You get extra attack, OR you can attack once and use a bonus action to cast a cantrip
    • Extra attack ignores loading property of a weapon infused/buffed by you
    • Loss of shield proficiency to make up for this
    • Arcane analysis gives you the ability to ritual identify or detect magic, and with a sufficient check, learn the pattern of magic items you identify
    • Once you get 5th level spells, your arcane weapon is no longer concentration

override367 on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Class Features

Hit Points

Proficiencies

Equipment

Magic Item Analysis
    Imbued Magic

Tools Required

Cantrips

Spell Slots

Spellcasting Ability

Ritual Casting
    Infuse Item

Infusing an Item

Inventions

Tool Expertise

Guild Innovation

Inventions
    Animalistic Mutagen

Aquatic Adaptation

Elemental Construct

Feather Failsafe

Force Field

Glamer Projection

Goggles of Light

Mutagenic Powerup

Quicksmithed Armor

Rocket Bomb

Shadow Amplifier

Specialty Explosion

Temporal Dislocation

Universal Translator
    Alchemist Spells
    Cantrips
    -- Bomb
    -- Create Bonfire
    -- Dancing Lights
    -- Light
    -- Lightning Lure
    -- Mage Hand
    -- Mending
    -- Prestidigitation
    -- Produce Flame
    -- Shocking Grasp
    -- Thunderclap
    -- True Strike

1st-level
    -- Absorb Elements
    -- Alarm
    -- Detect Magic
    -- Faerie Fire
    -- Grease
    -- Identify
    -- Illusory Script
    -- Mage Armor
    -- Shield
    -- Silent Image
    -- Sleep
    -- Snare
    -- Thunderwave
    -- Unseen Servant

2nd-level
    -- Arcane Lock
    -- Arcanist's Magic Aura
    -- Continual Flame
    -- Darkvision
    -- Dragon’s Breath
    -- Find Traps
    -- Heat Metal
    -- Invisibility
    -- Knock
    -- Locate Object
    -- Magic Mouth
    -- Magic Weapon
    -- See Invisibility
    -- Skywrite

3rd-level
    -- Dispel Magic
    -- Fly
    -- Glyph of Warding
    -- Leomund’s Tiny Hut
    -- Lightning Bolt
    -- Sending
    -- Tiny Servant

4th-level
    -- Arcane Eye
    -- Fabricate
    -- Fire Shield
    -- Locate Creature
    -- Stone Shape

5th-level
    -- Animate Objects
    -- Creation
    -- Passwall
    -- Teleportation Circle
    -- Transmute Rock
    -- Wall of Stone

6th-level
    -- Arcane Gate
    -- Create Homunculus
    -- Guards and Wards
    -- Heroes' Feast
    -- Programmed Illusion
    -- True Seeing
    -- Word of Recall

Stuff not Done:

Zonugal

Forgot to @ you in above post. Was also thinking about increasing number of attuned items and some other things. Slightly concerned that multi-attack and cantrip might be a bit too strong in terms of raw damage (but not all that concerned since you can't get stats to damage on cantrip). Would also limit empowered attack to artificer spells and should have modified the extra attack feature to level 11 (so you could get extra attack normally from other class levels at the same time as you would for the Alchemist)

Alright @Goumindong, I thought on your critique/thoughts, here are my reflections on those:

-- I like the points you make about the Infuse Item ability and didn't consider how powerful it might be. I'd still like to have something akin to it though. I'd like for the Artificer to be able to provide their teammates with spell-granting items. Maybe just limit to cantrips or 1st-level spells?

-- I can see your point about the proficiency in thieves' tools. I might just work with those and incorporate them into into a trap-focused subclass at some point.

-- As to your other points I think we just have different design goals for the class (I'm primarily just making a smart Warlock, so this Artificer can be just as Bomb focused as a Warlock with Eldritch Blast). I do like your idea of typing all of their spells known to specific items (I'll play around with that). I'm not too keen on having to stick to Eberron but my idea is for the different Guild subclasses to align with some of the houses in Eberron. I think for going down the cyborg route for Warforged stuff I'll incorporate that into the Guild of Clockwork Aid and make some inventions for them which goes along with that theme. I also do plan on doing a Dr. Frankenstein subclass at a certain point, I just have to figure out balanced mechanics for short-rest spellcasting and creating/summoning undead.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm also a fan of warlock style casting on artificers, they just feel like folks that should be able to take a short rest and re prepare some widgets for spells they may want later. I think I like them as kindof spell book type casters still so short rest recharge of spells you have to prepare from your schematics, you invent stuff as you level and you can find schematics as well.

Do you think that would be balanced well enough? If so, that'd be a very easy choice for me to make with this Artificer. It'd function like a hybrid of Wizard's spellcasting (how they learn/prepare spells) and the Warlock's short-rest spellcasting?

• Options

Do you think that would be balanced well enough? If so, that'd be a very easy choice for me to make with this Artificer. It'd function like a hybrid of Wizard's spellcasting (how they learn/prepare spells) and the Warlock's short-rest spellcasting?

You'll find that regardless of spell availability most players stick to a subset of spells regardless. Essentially this is a flavor change that allows you to hand spells to the artificer when you need them to have a spell. As an associate measure maybe make it so wizard spell books and scrolls don't help and they in fact need to be schematics to control the flow of spells known.

The real finicky part is deciding how many different spells they can prepare at a time.

• Options
    Hmm... Maybe...

What about this?
    Schematic Ledger
    At 1st level, you have a ledger containing six 1st- level artificer spells, known as schematics, of your choice. Your ledger is the repository of the artificer spells you have learned, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

The Artificer table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your artificer spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.
    For example, when you are 5th level, you have two 3rd-level spell slots. To cast the 1st-level spell Grease, you must spend one of those slots, and you cast it as a 3rd-level spell.

You prepare the list of artificer spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of artificer spells from your ledger equal to your Intelligence modifier + half your artificer level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

• Options
    Hmm... Maybe...

What about this?
    Schematic Ledger
    At 1st level, you have a ledger containing six 1st- level artificer spells, known as schematics, of your choice. Your ledger is the repository of the artificer spells you have learned, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

The Artificer table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your artificer spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.
    For example, when you are 5th level, you have two 3rd-level spell slots. To cast the 1st-level spell Grease, you must spend one of those slots, and you cast it as a 3rd-level spell.

You prepare the list of artificer spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of artificer spells from your ledger equal to your Intelligence modifier + half your artificer level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

This kinda works perfect because assuming a 20 int it leaves you rather on par with a warlock in on the ground in combat functionality. In the end at level 20 you've got 15 spells to choose from and 5 slots to use. You progress spells available in combat slower than warlock but front load it some at lower levels to make up for it.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I don't think I'd take that as a given, actually, given the existence of, e.g., bards, and people who like to remind others of the "+1 from me!" on attack rolls.

Yeah I think the Warlord (RIP in peace) was the quintessential "give other people bonuses" class and it was fantastic. I never met someone that tried it and didn't love it. Personally I'd really enjoy a class that is throwing out all kinds of crazy buffs instead of attacking directly.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Referring to a conversation in this thread a few days ago...

Check out @LeagueRpg’s Tweet:

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Yeah I think the Warlord (RIP in peace) was the quintessential "give other people bonuses" class and it was fantastic. I never met someone that tried it and didn't love it. Personally I'd really enjoy a class that is throwing out all kinds of crazy buffs instead of attacking directly.

I found a wizard guide for 5e that's all about battlefield control and party buffs. Almost no direct damage spells or spells that need a save. That's going to be my build in our next campaign. All making everyone's lives easier while making sick clouds from his vape rig.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    There is definitely a player archetype that loooooves being able to super buff their friends. I probably wouldn't make it so that all artificers are forced into that playstyle, though - I'd just make it one of the choices for the subclass specialization. Because there are lots of players that would much rather be doing their own awesome things rather than buffing others, and some of those players might like the idea of being a magic-item-crafting type spellcaster.

• Options
    I'm currently playing a Mastermind Rogue and I love being a support character.

The other players make fun of me for the fact that my character is basically the party's coach, just yelling at them to be better in combat.

And every time I use help at a range, I come up with some form of advice (usually useless) to shout at my teammates.

I end up sounding a lot like this:

Miracle-Quote.gif

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing a Mastermind Rogue and I love being a support character.

The other players make fun of me for the fact that my character is basically the party's coach, just yelling at them to be better in combat.

And every time I use help at a range, I come up with some form of advice (usually useless) to shout at my teammates.

I end up sounding a lot like this:

Miracle-Quote.gif

Having played a kobold mastermind I can attest to how fucking awesome it is to play a pacifist.

Though that having been said, my party adored lucky ted m'seeks and towards the end they were ecstatic to hear me talk about socialism as the one true method of governance.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular

Rathas was the most enjoyable of all the 4e characters I ever played. The closest analog is a Battlemaster Fighter in 5e and they're just not the same =/

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Hmm... Maybe...

What about this?
    Schematic Ledger

I like this.

One thing you could do for letting allies cast your spells is, if warlock spells are tied to items, let allies cast your spells for you. An ally who possesses the item may cast the spell with one of your slots or knows the associated spell and may cast it with their slots.

So overall “power” is maintained but the artificer allows others to leech off of theirs while still being useful. Either by giving non-spellcaster a spell opener, while still letting the artificer cantrip/spell on their turn or by letting other spellcasters leech off of the artificers spell list (at cost of the artificer using that spell right now, since they would not be in possession of the item)

Edit: also my workshop was less a “critique” and more of a “this is how i would do it”. I didnt cut bomb because i thought it was bad i cut it because i want the warlock to be an attack focused class

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hmm... Maybe...

What about this?
    Schematic Ledger

I like this.

One thing you could do for letting allies cast your spells is, if warlock spells are tied to items, let allies cast your spells for you. An ally who possesses the item may cast the spell with one of your slots or knows the associated spell and may cast it with their slots.

So overall “power” is maintained but the artificer allows others to leech off of theirs while still being useful. Either by giving non-spellcaster a spell opener, while still letting the artificer cantrip/spell on their turn or by letting other spellcasters leech off of the artificers spell list (at cost of the artificer using that spell right now, since they would not be in possession of the item)

Oooh, I like this! I think this is what I'll reshape Infuse Item to be!

• Options
    Rius wrote: »

Rathas was the most enjoyable of all the 4e characters I ever played. The closest analog is a Battlemaster Fighter in 5e and they're just not the same =/

You know I still talk about that game to this day. One of my all-time favorites. Gods that party was such a murder-machine.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    There is definitely a player archetype that loooooves being able to super buff their friends. I probably wouldn't make it so that all artificers are forced into that playstyle, though - I'd just make it one of the choices for the subclass specialization. Because there are lots of players that would much rather be doing their own awesome things rather than buffing others, and some of those players might like the idea of being a magic-item-crafting type spellcaster.

GIVE👏US👏BACK👏WARLORDS👏YOU👏COWARDS👏

This discussion has been closed.