As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Don't know why I didn't associate it with the actual skill, I guess I was more hung up on if it could learn. Charisma is only a 3, oof.
    The joke is my carriage is the medieval equivalent of a van with Valkyrie riding a polar bear mural. I'm actually about to mount a giant goat skull on the carriage to up its metal-ness.

I feel like you could build a compelling argument for letting it use Performance(INT) by comparing it to, like, a metronome or the feature on synthesizers that just loops a drum track in the background of whatever you're doing.

Alternately your band could just have a deeply terrible drummer like a real garage band

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Only Valkyries riding polar bears are commonplace in D&D, so the mural is of an accountant at a desk?

With an abacus that shoots ticker tape.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm about to hand out the first sentient item I've used in ages. It's a Dagger of Warding called Jinx the Badluck Blade. It's a pessimistic grump that says it keeps going from owner to owner because it's cursed. Mechanically it does nothing, but the blade claims any misfortune that befalls the party "it's fault". I wonder how long till they chuck it. XD

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So there's no thread for it so maybe thought I'd ask here since it's kind of similar. But has anyone played Shadow of the Demon Lord before?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Finally got to sit down and do some hard sci-fi DnD with The Fifth Age, a homebrew that's really just a tweak of 5E. Lots of group skill rolls, six days of in-game space travel, mega-corp espionage, and lots of pew pew lazer fire.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    My GM recently did something devious:
    Our group is a team of hirelings sent by a kingdom as part of an effort to settle a colony on a continent across the ocean. The colony stopped sending any news back, so the kingdom sent a military force to back them up. They never came back, either. So now we were sent as part of an expeditionary force to re-establish contact and send word back across the ocean to the capital as to the fate of the colony.

Of course, our ship was intercepted and destroyed by something awful that spoke to us in our minds, saying "You will do nicely." Shipwrecked and stranded on an alien shore, apparently weeks' hiking away from the intended site of the colony, we immediately discovered that this new land was infested by a particular strain of undead in the service of an evil god. We scavenged what we could from the ship and began making our way towards where we thought the colony should be.

After a few days (the barbarian and ranger helping provide food), we discovered a semblance of civilization: a town of somewhat more than 100 people, protected by an animated wall of brambles that would destroy the undead as they grew near, but would create ways in and out for those who had sworn a blood oath to never lay a hand on those who dwelled inside. The wall had been created by a druid who had sacrificed his life to power the spell that created it, and it not only had some sort of psychic presence, but it extended under the town itself to enforce its rule. This was tested out when one of the rogues intentionally taunted a shopkeeper, and a thorny vine broke through the floor to menace the shopkeeper as she reached for her sword.

We made the blood oaths to become residents and spent several IRL hours exploring the town, meeting its varied inhabitants, gobbling up information and gathering side quests and making ourselves useful (we joked about looking for the Job Board and approaching everyone with a punctuation mark over their heads). We stopped our session after taking on one such request from the town's magical trinket collector to check out a different recent shipwreck and loot/recover supplies for the town.

A month passes before our gaming group can meet again.

When we reconvene, we set out towards that ship and encountered a magic-user in the service of the dark god with a personal mini-horde of zombies. We took them out with little hassle, and spent some time interrogating this guy before dispatching him somewhat gruesomely. When we got back, the town was completely destroyed. Mostly burned to the ground, the thorn wall burned and lifeless, the people butchered, the likable NPCs dead. We found one survivor hiding under his floorboards, who told us that a force of massive skeletons (ogres, minotaurs, giants and the like) assaulted the wall until it just couldn't take any more, then a more conventional skeleton army moved in to raze the town. Some survivors were captured and taken away, but we're not nearly powerful enough to take on a force of that size. Defeated and somewhat heartbroken, we turned out sights back towards where we were supposed to be going all along (the colony) and started out once again.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    So there's no thread for it so maybe thought I'd ask here since it's kind of similar. But has anyone played Shadow of the Demon Lord before?

You might want to throw that question down in the general roleplay through. I have it, never got to play it.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Does anyone else have loads of trouble getting their IRL groups together? I'm sure you do. Incoming mini-rant...

My main, relatively far flung, old school crew already has to plan for weeks to find the time for weekend getaways for our ToA campaign. This is usual. Frustrating, but I've gotten used to it. The lack of gaming though finally lead me to nut-up and try to find other, more local friends to game with. And I did! I canvassed the video-game and board-game geek spouses of my wife's friends and cobbled together a group!

But now my local "Dad's" group hasn't been able to find the time get together for an evening session since June! Various late summer family vacations throughout July and August (mine being one of them, so I'm not blameless in all this). I thought once school started back up and families would have a more stable routine it would get easier to find one evening every two weeks, but no! We are now in contention with parenting duties when a spouse is working nights, swimming lessons, other assorted kid related bullshit, and in one case: adult karate lessons! We're now looking at dates in October! October!

Do priorities mean nothing to these people? Harrumph!

Steelhawk on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    October is next week... I guess your only option is to build in drop in/drop out, because fathers are busy creatures.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    My gaming right now is set to a Wed night online game that happens most weeks. This week was canceled to last minute work issues from the DM.

We try to do a monthly session of another campaign, but we're all in our 40s and most of us have kids... So yeah we missed gaming in Sept. I'm still waiting to see what day we come up for in Oct.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Aldo wrote: »
    October is next week... I guess your only option is to build in drop in/drop out, because fathers are busy creatures.

See, while I'm OK for this but there has to be certain rules of thumb? I would think we'd need to decide what happens when quorum is not not reached, you know? One guy missing, OK, we play on. Two? Does everyone die? Do we get others players to jaeger the missing ones? This is one of things I wanted to discuss when we're all face to face again.

Also, this next session is where we are all tee'd up to face the dragon in Thundtree in LMoP. Nobody should miss the session where we're fighting a dragon the first time!

My DM adjusts difficulty of encounters on number of active players and we can sometimes use special skills or proficiencies from characters not at the table. It's not ideal, but it means we get to play some dnd. Oh and we also meet up just to paint miniatures or build terrain stuff when the DM can't make it.

Prepare a number of Silent Smith character sheets, so if you don't have enough meat for your grinder, they can hire Silent Smith, Silent Bob and Silent Joe from the local adventurer's tavern for a share of the treasure/renown/whatever rewards you're using.

Alternatively, if you've got big events planned that you don't want anyone to miss, maybe work up a few small group focused one shot adventures that would be easier to balance for random groups? Missing player characters are sick or sidetracked or otherwise occupied and unavailable, and the party doesn't dare go into the big event under staffed, so the players who show up get a side quest that nets them something shiny.

In my case, these are relatively new-ish players and I don't want to have to handle two or three NPC's on top of all the other shit I have to track as a DM.

I'd be much happier with one player giving another player permission to run their PC at the table in case of an absence, but that is something that needs to be offered and accepted by the players themselves. I don't want to dictate any of that. Cajole them, sure, but not decide for them.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Wrong thread.

On topic, I've handled this stuff by alternately skipping them and going through it at the start of the next session, or having me put them offscreen. I always have a couple NPCs hanging out with the party that can generate an excuse to split up on a moment's notice.

Xagar on
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    In my case, these are relatively new-ish players and I don't want to have to handle two or three NPC's on top of all the other shit I have to track as a DM.

I'd be much happier with one player giving another player permission to run their PC at the table in case of an absence, but that is something that needs to be offered and accepted by the players themselves. I don't want to dictate any of that. Cajole them, sure, but not decide for them.

I wouldn't want to subject a DM to running half the party anyway. But if you've got three players and need 5 PCs, hand out the Silents that fill in the needed gaps to the players so they can run them in conjunction with their normal players. The Silents don't really do or say much, but they can help out in a fight and if you ask them nicely they may be able to point out a trap (Silent Hank wasn't very good at spotting traps, very good at triggering them though, May he rest in peace).
    Or, you may just want to lay it out as an option next time you're all there. No vague hints or cajoling, just toss the idea out "Hey, Player 1, how would you feel about Player 2 running your character as well as their own if you can't make it since you're the rogue who can find and disable traps?" They don't want to do it, they don't have to, but making sure they know the option is on the table if they want it...

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My group is about ready to wrap up Out of The Abyss in the next few weeks. It'll be our 2nd campaign that we've completed, in a row to boot. Between this and Strahd we've been playing consistently for over 3 years now. It's been super awesome.

One of our players is going to take up the DM mantle for the next campaign of Lost Mines into Storm Kings Thunder. I'm going to get a few different types of Giant and paint them up for the campaign.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    All the talk about Curse of Strahd and how it is so different from other campaigns in 5e hasn't left my thoughts. Recently I fired up Neverwinter and saw the following trailer:
    https://youtu.be/HJEBJQU1Y_E

In my mind that whole video is exactly how I would approach CoS: you're still kick-ass heroes who can blast skeletons to smithereens, but you're going to be at a disadvantage in every environ. Strahd doesn't fuck around and enemies have tricks up their sleeves that the party would not expect at all. But overall, the theme is drenched in old-school vampire tropes. Players who enjoyed Castlevania or Van Helsing should be at the table with a constant smirk on their faces.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Looks like Dragon Heist is selling extremely well. It is also their best adventure so far imo, so I am glad to see it's succeeding.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    I'm having a blast running my party through SKT!

Some of my players read the thread so I can't talk too much about it but I've enjoyed having everything in their shopping trip to Waterdeep constantly go badly and now they're drunkenly fleeing the law in the most ridiculous fashion.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dragon Heist has been fun so far.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    My group might be finished with Tomb of Annihilation this saturday. Next up is Dragon Heist and yes it looks fun.

I have heard very good things about Dragon Heist, yes. But for me? Super hyped for Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

I am a little disappointed though that there not any previews or anything about these modules anymore. Articles, sneak peaks, etc. All I have to go on is the blurb given on the website and cover art. I want MORE!

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Switched up the order of the fight just a tad and put the Avatar fight directly after the fight with the original BBEG so the story had a better organic flow.

This week the party defeated the Orcs (speedbump), the BBEG and his DK bodyguard (although it drained them of all most all of their resources and the Bard was almost disintegrated twice (literally saved by her own bardic inspiration the first time and survived with 1 hit point the second time). The party had thought they were fighting the BBEG in his apotheosis form, so they were shocked when he exploded on death to reveal the Avatar of the God he was attempting to kill.

The Avatar forced the party into submission (DM Fiat, they prostrated themselves) and was about to dispatch them one by one when the rest of the Gods intervened.

Backstory so it makes sense as to why the Gods intervened:

Feinrod, my god of Undeath, Necromancy, Entropy, and Insanity had visited the Far Realms a long time ago. While Feinrod was in the Far Realms, he was infected by it, causing him to shed various body parts every now and then to stop the infection from completely overtaking him. Feinrod really wanted to get to the material plane and was using the BBEG to complete a ritual which would either rip part of Feinrod's portfolio away from him (should it succeed) or allow Feinrod to utterly consume Haplo's soul and use that to enter the material plane. Feinrod then set the players on the path to stop the BBEG and was helping them along the way (the party knew about this and was unsettled by it, but the BBEG wasn't a good guy and they still wanted to stop him, especially because he was the last campaign's BBEG's son), hedging his bets that the party would do just enough to cause the ritual to fail, but that they would be too late to stop the ritual from being cast.

Because Feinrod was infected by the Far Realms after the Gods had put up a planar bridge to stop the Far Realms from leaking into the material plane (part of the Dawn Concord and something all deities agreed on), he actually facilitated an Old One being able to enter the material plane by providing a planar gateway to the Old One who infected him. This then allowed that Old One to summon his friends.

So, the Gods halted the proceedings and brought forth Feinrod to the Throne of the Gods to make Feinrod answer for his crimes. Feinrod rightly pointed out he couldn't be held accountable for acting in accordance to his portfolio by the other gods, but the other gods used a loophole in the agreement that did not forbid mortals from attacking him for his crime.

The party, drained on resources, took up arms against the Avatar of Feinrod to close the planar gate and stop more incursions from the Far Realms. After a hard fought victory (in which the entire party was killed again by DM Fiat and then mass resurrected to allow a mid fight long rest to occur), the party finally managed to end Feinrod's threat to the material plane.

Unfortunately by the time the fight was over, at least 6 Old Ones stalked the material plane. The God of Death, Fate, and Time had a plan to make things right, however. She would send the party back in time to the moment Feinrod stepped foot on the material plane to stop the Old One from summoning his friends. Now it's a race against time with the entire order of the Cosmos at stake.

A proper end to a game, I think.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Trying to come up with a magic item for my new Warforged Monster Slayer ranger. Brief backstory is that it was left behind after the kingdom was overrun by demons centuries ago.

Here's what I got

J.A.B.S. (Just Another Bow String)
    Very Rare, requires attunement, may be applied to any bow or crossbow

5 charges, regain 1d4+1 at dawn
    • 1 charge to cast Elemental Weapon without concentration
    • 2 charges to cast ????
    • 3 charges to cause your arrow to detonate upon impact, dealing an additional 6d6 force damage to all creatures in 15ft radius (Dex Save for half damage, DC15)
    Maybe change elemental weapon so it's only radiant? The 2 charge ability I want to be a non combat thing and thematically appropriate to a kindgom that was at war with a demon army but I don't want it to step on the ranger ablities.

This is replacing my GWM/PAM/Sentry fighter so I'm leaving a large DPR hole behind if anybody was worried about this being a little too powerful. Level 13, and using the Revised Ranger chassis.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I have heard very good things about Dragon Heist, yes. But for me? Super hyped for Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

I am a little disappointed though that there not any previews or anything about these modules anymore. Articles, sneak peaks, etc. All I have to go on is the blurb given on the website and cover art. I want MORE!

It's all on YouTube these days

steam_sig.png
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    iguanacus wrote: »
    J.A.B.S. (Just Another Bow String)
    Very Rare, requires attunement, may be applied to any bow or crossbow

5 charges, regain 1d4+1 at dawn
    • 1 charge to cast Elemental Weapon without concentration
    • 2 charges to cast ????
    • 3 charges to cause your arrow to detonate upon impact, dealing an additional 6d6 force damage to all creatures in 15ft radius (Dex Save for half damage, DC15)

I would make that change to only radiant damage, it fits bettet thematically.

As for the 2 charge, could go with Shimmering Rope: a thin, faintly glowing string appears with one end affixed to the arrow, the other to the bow. This functions as a rope would, though it is very unbreakable. Lasts 30 minutes or until you dispel it. Basically a free arrow/grappling hook combo.
    If you really wanna get fancy, you can, as a bonus action, use one more charge to contract the rope, pulling up to 600 lbs of weight along with it. You'd be warforged Batman once/day.

Or, Sending Arrow: When the archer speaks the name of someone they have met, the arrow is launched through the ethereal plane and lands, gently, at the feet of that individual. A small bit of parchment can be affixed to the arrow, anything larger and the spell fails, but still consumes the charges.

Narbus on
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It's all on YouTube these days

Again, disappointing. I'd rather read something than watch a YouTube video

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Got any good links to youtube videos about Dungeon of the Mad Mage?

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I completely nuked the curse of strahd game I was in by making my thoughts known and causing an irreconcilable rift between the players. Which wasn't the end, because the DM restarted it with just the people who want to play the module mostly as written and found two replacements for the metagaming jerks who dont respect the DM. Everyone has a single uncommon item the DM chose based on their background, but nobody started with magic weapons, compared to everyone starting with +2 gear and lollerstomping across the world because the two kicked out players DEMANDED it

I'm having so much fun, I can't wait for the next session. We just rescued some kids from the night hags. I managed to sneak in through by crawling my scrawny aasimar wizard along the windmill shaft, having the bard give the night hags a performance, and using a candle to light the very flammable soiled bed on fire upstairs while rescuing the children, we action movie dove out the top and featherfalled to safety, the hags didn't notice the fire until the entire floor was ablaze because the bard had rolled very good on his performance and convinced them to all come outside and listen to him play

After escaping we all huddled in my Rope Trick and watched the hags skulk by, realizing they'd been duped, so we've made some powerful enemies (or more accurately, I saw them, because I had See Invisibility up). We grabbed the kids and booked through the forest in the most direct, dangerous route with Irena in tow, avoiding a pit trap and emerging onto the road to the scene of some wolf hunters being surrounded by a half dozen dire wolves where we ended the last session. My lawful good aasimar, cut off from her divine guide, is also addicted to pies made out of children, this campaign is going to be so much fun :hydra:

This is sooooooooooo much better than last time where the party were juggernauts of devastation and we just killed the hags

Edit:

The final straw of the aborted game was when the halfling monk started a fight with izek strazni, monkspeeded away through the house stealing stuff, caused a general call to arms in the town, and then said he just walks into the street and gets away because he's indistinguishable from a human child. The DM said "no you aren't" and he said "really I cant pick what my character looks like? okay I hide in the paladin's backpack and we get out of town" and spent 30 minutes arguing about whether he could hide in the paladin's backpack. There were some kids watching us play D&D as they were interested in getting in it but wanted to watch a game so we said okay

Those of us not arguing that halflings are foldable children were so fucking embarrassed, that was the last session of that, unceremonious.

override367 on
    Lind wrote: »
    Got any good links to youtube videos about Dungeon of the Mad Mage?
    D&D Beyond has
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbVRQIOuI8s

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Wait you completed the campaign switcheroo maneuver? I always thought that was a myth...

sig.gif
    edited October 2018
    Wait you completed the campaign switcheroo maneuver? I always thought that was a myth...

We cant play at that game store anymore because the DM doesn't want to confront the two problem players, and they frequent that place

w/e I'm fine hosting every week, it justifies all the money ive spent on minis and stuff

This is the first campaign playing in a party where fighting is seen as a scary last resort which is how COS should feel, it's great

override367 on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    In our last session the bard used her Lute of Possibility to turn Stinking Cloud into Stinking Loud, to damage and deafen the enemy caster so that they couldn't cast spells.

As a DM I was very pleased.

All the talk about Curse of Strahd and how it is so different from other campaigns in 5e hasn't left my thoughts. Recently I fired up Neverwinter and saw the following trailer:

In my mind that whole video is exactly how I would approach CoS: you're still kick-ass heroes who can blast skeletons to smithereens, but you're going to be at a disadvantage in every environ. Strahd doesn't fuck around and enemies have tricks up their sleeves that the party would not expect at all. But overall, the theme is drenched in old-school vampire tropes. Players who enjoyed Castlevania or Van Helsing should be at the table with a constant smirk on their faces.

Man I really want a good D&D game, neverwinter is so.... spastic and fast paced, I think a D&D game should feel more tactical and well... roleplayey

theme park MMO is one of the worst choices I think for a genre

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Neverwinter isn't very DnD feel but its actually a pretty good game. The mechanics are fun and it feels like it requires actual skill

wbBv3fj.png
    Oh yea no, it is DnD-inspired. And not on 5e, but on 4e, so it is its own thing.

In my mind it is in a very weird spot, because 5e has eclipsed 4e in such a big way, yet here the NPCs are yammering on about the Spellplague and you've got your special skills called Daily Powers and tons of other references to 4e stuff. And then there is new content released that is heavily inspired by the 5e books, like last year they did Tomb of Annihalation and this year they did Curse of Strahd.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Man I really want a good D&D game, neverwinter is so.... spastic and fast paced, I think a D&D game should feel more tactical and well... roleplayey

theme park MMO is one of the worst choices I think for a genre

what totally killed Neverwinter for me (despite a lot of very positive things about the game) was how disgustingly optimized-for-profit the whole shitting thing is. Every single thing is wrapped up in deliberately confusing overlapping currencies. The monetization model just totally ruined that game.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Oh yea no, it is DnD-inspired. And not on 5e, but on 4e, so it is its own thing.

In my mind it is in a very weird spot, because 5e has eclipsed 4e in such a big way, yet here the NPCs are yammering on about the Spellplague and you've got your special skills called Daily Powers and tons of other references to 4e stuff. And then there is new content released that is heavily inspired by the 5e books, like last year they did Tomb of Annihalation and this year they did Curse of Strahd.

it's a 4e game to about the same extent that Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was a 3e game.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The thing that killed Neverwinter for me was getting a pile of "real money" currency when preordering, only for there to be some kind of dupe bug at launch that completely tanked the value of them; they never corrected it.

This discussion has been closed.