As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    its very weird to me for some characters to have krushing blows that only trigger when involving moves not typically on that variation

like shao khan has one that requires the dark priest special move damage buff and i think thats one you need to manually add on to him?

And even then his shadow priest needs an absurd amount of time to execute.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    yeah im not even using it

I'm just picking the magic might variation

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I can't recall where I got the link to this, but it seemed like some of you might enjoy it (possible spoilers). Apologies if it's already been posted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7wC7Mt76U

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Is Jax's command grab not a command grab? The training dummy can block it... are there no true command grabs in MK?

• Options
    edited April 2019
    gotcha grab should be a command grab but he has a few others in his specials that arent actually throws, at least im pretty sure?

there are definitely real command grabs in mk11 though kano and I think baraka also have them and geras's tackle im pretty sure is

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    it might be just a training bot quirk. the training for Jax describes it as a grab. but it seems like the AI has strange block rules (kind of like how Kronica can block standard throws)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I’m liking Skarlet a lot so far. I use her blood lift command grab a ton because it’s damage is bonkers, and she has a lot of easy combos.

The time towers are as badly designed as you’ve heard though.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The character training has a lot of incorreft stuff in it that used to be true but isnt anymore.

Gotcha is blockable. Ground pound is a low instead of unblockable now.

Game does have real command grabs. Jax has one in a variation. Kano has one, Kollector has one. If the input is d,b,f+button, it's probably a command grab.

• Options
    wait I thought ground pound was still unblockable

its really insane to me how much stuff is wrong in those character tutorials though including the entire inputs sometimes being incorrect

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    putting effort into the names of my customization must be the sign of true commitment

I've messed around with Frost, Raiden and Cassie.. I couldn't really find my stride with any of them. I know Cassie is said to be good but I don't understand why. Frost's tournament variations feel compromised. Raiden feels just OK

HOWEVER... Kabal! I get it. I think I can work with this guy. He kind of feels like a street fighter character, tbh. Unfortunately his tutorial stuff is also hilariously wrong in some cases (I'd go so far to say some of his move list is wrong too)

If anyone can figure out how to do B+2 (heavy punch?), 2 xx anything let me know.. the tutorial says that's supposed to be cancelable, and the frame data suggests it is... but I haven't gotten it to happen...

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of stuff might have changed in a short amount of time. Hell wasn't the game revealed like 3 months ago?

The amplify system was completely different then.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    wait I thought ground pound was still unblockable

its really insane to me how much stuff is wrong in those character tutorials though including the entire inputs sometimes being incorrect

It was up until day 1 patch. Now it's just a low.

• Options
    thats such a weird thing to do

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah the move is slow as hell so I don't see it being all that oppressive.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    One thing which those arcade machines with cards have (e.g. on Tekken/Virtua Fighter/Initial D/etc.) that is legit useful is the ability to have player-unique setup data that can be loaded easily in a standard way, whether it's your car customization in Initial D or your silly costume in Virtua Fighter. Nintendo has something like this with their amiibos, but that's not Mortal Kombat. It'd be really interesting if phones with NFC functionality could tap the console or whatever and load a customization profile, and players could have pre-set tournament legal ones (with the setup of the customization filtering to only allow for tournament legal parts so that at the authoring step of their customization they aren't allowed to make something invalid) as well as casual silly ones.

On the other hand, that still doesn't allow for an easy fix for problems when tournaments have emergency/house rules. If the local scene bans thing ABC but ABC is not banned in the customizer, then having a tournament setup flag that would let them automatically de-equip violating things would help... but if it's something like ability equipping, you'd have to deal with the problem of what does it equip in replacement? Maybe in-app the player can reconfigure when the tournament rules are announced so that they can fix their loadout to be compliant with the rules?

I think it's a piece of functionality that would be actually interesting in the console-powered Western scene, but I don't know if any console aside from the Switch has NFC functionality.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

god i love seeing teabags and taunts getting blown up

• Options
    Finally getting online matches felt good... the game straight up tells you when you're fighting a wifi warrior, and I accidentally accepted one, but it felt 100% normal. That's a positive sign.

Kabal has some neat stuff, damage feels a little low. He's got a sort of cool high-low game @ poking distance that's safe if well spaced... oddly it's the low that's ridiculously unsafe, and the overhead is very safe

I like that he has a re-stand, I'm just mildly concerned about the damage, but I'll try to find some better combos... his Amplifies... they don't seem to lead to new stuff like many other characters do... it seems like his amps are all about oki... but this feels like very much a "take the damage" kind of game

• Options
    does it still have the ping counter? that seemed like it would be the most useful part for determining connections

• Options
    i didn't notice a ping counter... oh yeah and the game apparently still hotmics people on pads... and the dude I was playing... pretty sure he didn't know it. he had some unkind things to say about my 1 hour kabal, but he actually played pretty decently, we split the set

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    You can turn the ping counter on in the options.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

god i love seeing teabags and taunts getting blown up

Actually the teabagging was him doing the mercy

Nrs are the real trolls

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    alright alright. i put in some work with Kabal online... got a chance to see how the game really plays

The game is way more fun to play in kasual mode. You can't even use your unlocked skins in tournament mode! That's very dumb. I like the concept of the Krypt and I could envision myself putting in a lot of work in kasuals to make my mans pretty... the game is fun to play. I would like them to please make Fatal Blows less ridiculous though... there are myriad dimensions to how weird and bad this makes end-of-round scenarios.

Oddly when I was playing online, I don't think I ran into any of the early favorites for "OP" characters... no Geras, no Erron, no Kotal... TONS of Johnny Cage and Scorp though, my goodness

• Options
    im getting real annoyed by stuff that requires the touchpad or clicking R3 when doing say tag battle boss in timeless towers or consumables or whatever that I guess the solution if you're on stick is to get fucked

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    what if: instead of giving players 1 measly heart for players doing a lengthy and worthless fatality at the end of Every. Single. Casual. Match. you instead gave them 5 hearts for accepting rematches consecutively?

NRS... you can change the community.... maybe start here...

• Options
    After seeing my fatalities 75 times I never want to see them again

• Options
    It's true, almost everything involving unlocks in this game is very stupid

But tying a resource to doing fatalities has got to be the stupidest.

There's parts of the krypt that activate by doing fatalities to each character 100 times. How about fuck off.

I honestly long for the days of injustice 2 where you could just play online and get loot drops. Now you play online for 2 hours and you might have enough koins to open a box.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    conceptually I don't mind it, but they seem to have balanced it against the availability of just setting your AI loose in the towers and letting them farm for you

which is stupid and bad... they seem to have grossly overestimated just how captivating the game could be as a grind sim... like... it's a great game... but it's going to get old the way it's all rigged right now

you get substantially more koins from letting the AI do tower battles than you do from winning online matches.... what the fuck is that even? You're trying to get people to play your game right?? presumably with each other????

• Options
    most of the infinite towers reward a chunk of hearts for high enough score and thats at least something but yeah if you're gonna make me do a fatality or brutality every game I wish it rewarded more hearts

also I'm really digging liu kang? never really played him before, he seems to have all the important good qualities to have in this game

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    If you think about it, Fatalities granting hearts is really the "Watch an ad for some free currency!" of the game. :P

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I finally like the way the game looks and play in motion feels fluid but yeah dear god do fatal blows and fatalities take way to long to animate

The animations them self are excessive which well thats nrs thing but they also just take 5 seconds to long and it just adds up the more and more you see it.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    God, I splurged on DBFZ on Green Man Gaming.

Why did I torture myself with buying this evil pushblock-less game.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I actually found myself mashing buttons during fatal blows to try to skip the animation. I've never done that in a fighting game before. I love supers.

That's how I discovered that fatal blows have an attack and defend system like injustice 2, and that mashing works pretty well.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cantido wrote: »

It has reflect!

Im sure gotenks would have a pushblock punish if it wadin tho

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I can kind of understand the idea. NRS has said they want to support this game for the next several years, so they want to give you several years of stuff to do.

In reality the implementation sucks ass, but I kind of understand the idea.

• Options
    thankfully i've never been too big on alt costumes since how a character looks normally and if I think its cool is a factor of my decisions

but they've almost presented me with such a colossal slog that it goes from being long term goals to wow fuck that noise

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Having the unlocks take so long is abold choice aiming for that dota logetivty

Id begrudingly accept the mtxs if it meant labour wasnt being exoploited but it is and nrs games are always gangbustets sales so its hard to not be annoyyed.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    8XDugl9.png
    Hello all,

First, we wanted to say thank you all for your feedback on Mortal Kombat 11 so far. We’re dedicated to bringing you the best experience possible and working to get the latest updates and patches live across all platforms.

We’re aware of the difficulty issues in Towers of Time, and while we’ve made some changes, rest assured there are more on the way. To help you along your way, everyone will receive:

500,000 Koins
    500 Hearts
    1,000 Soul Fragments
    1,000 Time Krystals

We’ve broken down the updates coming to each platform below. As always, if you’re experiencing issues, please put in a help request at https://go.wbgames.com/MKhelp. Thank you for being a part of the Mortal Kombat Kommunity!

PS4/Xbox:

We’re aiming to release the patch early next week. This patch will include:

Reduce AI difficulty
    Increased Kurrency rewards in Towers of Time
    Thank you gift (500,000 Koins, 500 Hearts, 1,000 Soul Fragments and 1,000 Time Krystals)

Switch:

For the Nintendo Switch, we have two patches in progress. We’re aiming to have the first patch in this series released in the next day or two.

Character tuning to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time
    Reduce AI health to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time
    Reduce effects and frequency of most difficult modifiers in Towers of Time
    Overall improvements to stability

The second patch is in progress and we’ll let you know as soon as we have a release date. This update will include:

Reduce AI difficulty
    Increased Kurrency rewards in Towers of Time
    Thank you gift (500,000 Koins, 500 Hearts, 1,000 Soul Fragments and 1,000 Time Krystals)

PC:

For PC, we have two patches in progress. We’re aiming to have the first patch in the series released in the next day or two. This patch will include:

Reduce effects and frequency of most difficult modifiers in Towers of Time
    Updates to character move values
    Overall improvements to stability, including crash fixes in menus and navigating UI
    Fixed a problem where the game would not load using certain keyboard configurations
    Fixed a problem where the game would not load due to non-English characters in the Windows user name

We’re aiming to release the next patch in the series early next week. This patch will include:

Reduce AI difficulty · Increased Kurrency rewards in Towers of Time

Update

Character tuning to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time
    Reduce AI health to reduce difficulty in Towers of Time

https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022123394-Official-MK11-update

• Options
    The quality of this patch is largely going to decide whether I keep playing or not.

It's a shame because I like the fighting in this more than any other fighting game I've played, but the progression system and the way the towers operate have me hating it. Asking me to perform 75 brutalities to unlock a tower that I already paid to unlock, so that I can fight a boss who stuns me if I stand near them is bad nonsense.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I just want to know which NRS employee(s) sat down and played ToT prior to release and said "this is fun!"

They deserve to be Milton'd from Office Space down to the storage closet.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Hello let's play sometime.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
This discussion has been closed.