As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is probably some Star Trek movie collection on Blu-ray.

I don't think I ever watched all of the old series. Might be worth a buy. I don't know if I have the patience.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    wandering wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    That looks better than I would've expected. I would have thought that the material might actually look worse, as I'd expect that the makeup, props and special effects were done with a relatively low resolution in mind, so even a good upscaling job might look worse - but the result isn't half bad. I wouldn't buy the Blu-ray, but I would enjoy watching DS9 in this quality on Netflix.

With enough raw processing power and data I bet we could train a machine learning algorithm to make new episodes of DS9.
    The true origin of Control

Not quite at DS9 levels yet but they have TNG down.
    https://botnik.org/content/tng.html

Mc zany on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Eh. They got the original Trek streaming on Netflix.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I went to that Star Trek experience in Vegas a long time ago. The ride was cool. Hardly anyone was there. It was during the day.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

The TOS is definitely one of those shows where an essentials guide first then going back to pick through what looks interesting in the rest is the best approach. There's a lot of dreck in the series, but the best episodes are still very enjoyable.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I feel like watching The Voyage Home.

welcome to my everyday

There is a silliness to it that makes it so good. Also, you have Scotty altering history.

• Options

The TOS is definitely one of those shows where an essentials guide first then going back to pick through what looks interesting in the rest is the best approach. There's a lot of dreck in the series, but the best episodes are still very enjoyable.

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

• Options

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

The show being brought back for a third season turned into a Monkey's Paw wish.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

The very last episode is about an old flame of Kirk's. Don't know if it is good.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

The very last episode is about an old flame of Kirk's. Don't know if it is good.

It is noooot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I went to that Star Trek experience in Vegas a long time ago. The ride was cool. Hardly anyone was there. It was during the day.

When I went there, they had a dude in full klingon prosthetics and wardrobe who wandered the Promenade. Whatever he got paid, it wasn't enough.

• Options
    I always wondered if the Star Trek cartoon was good.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I always wondered if the Star Trek cartoon was good.

it's easily like 3rd best trek series

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Looking over the list, I think The Tholian Web is the only episode of the third season I'd tell anyone to watch. It was definitely when they went heavy on "Enterprise finds planet that's just like Earth" and "Godlike aliens."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

It is noooot.

1 sentence summary: Let's just remake the mirror universe Kirk replacement episode, but give it as much sexist baggage as possible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

The last episode is the one where we learn that women are too emotional and irrational to be starship captains, so StarFleet has forbidden them the role.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I always liked that STNG episode where there is an anomaly that makes multiple Datas and they all work together.

• Options
    The bugs episode of STNG was the biggest wtf episode.

• Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Yeah, Conspiracy was a hell of a thing to me as a youngster when I caught it on syndication. Was still a few years before X-Files, and of course that sort of thing is pervasive in popular media now, but I remember being shocked as hell at the time.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I saw an episode of Voyager that Bryan Fuller was a writer on. Had no idea he had experience.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The bugs episode of STNG was the biggest wtf episode.

It's such a strange but fun episode. The start is actually really well done. And then it just goes fucking bananas.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

welcome to my everyday

There is a silliness to it that makes it so good. Also, you have Scotty altering history.

hello computer

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

welcome to my everyday

McCoy in the hospital is still the best.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    There's some great small touches there too. From McCoy giving the old women pills that caused her liver/kidney to regrow to the scene where they are running through the halls from the cops and McCoy takes the time to make sure a person they run into is okay.

• Options
    The Bynar episode in STNG made me realize that the writers barely get computer science.

• Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular

Spocks Brain. Yeesh.

The third season is nowhere near as bad as people say. Several of the strongest episodes of TOS were in it and even Spock's Brain is fun

• Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    Looking over the list, I think The Tholian Web is the only episode of the third season I'd tell anyone to watch. It was definitely when they went heavy on "Enterprise finds planet that's just like Earth" and "Godlike aliens."

The Enterprise Incident is a great episode are really should be watched.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: TOS and early TNG are often bad (though in TOS' case, just as often great!) but almost never boring. Spock's Brain is delightful fun that only a real killjoy could hate.

It's like if someone really hates on The Voyage Home for being too silly and fun, that's not a person I need to associate with.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    What is brain?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: TOS and early TNG are often bad (though in TOS' case, just as often great!) but almost never boring.
    I can see that with TOS due to its sheer force of personality, but I think I found quite a bit of early TNG boring. Not boring enough not to watch it (hey, I was a kid), but I found it all too beige to be all that exciting, except for the occasional WTF episode. It's really once the characters came into their own, around S3, that this changed for me.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Anybody else listen The Greatest Generation Podcast? Last week's episode reminded me how good DS9 S4x04 (Hippocratic Oath) is.

By the end of the episode O'Brien and Bashir's friendship is super tested in a wholy natural way that would never happen on TNG and Worf has totally fucked up his transition from Security Chief to not Security Chief and destroyed a massive Sting operation behing handled by Odo.

Man DS9 had such great character conflict and growth.

unlike disco

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh, I've heard adverts for The Greatest Generation while listening to MBMBAM, but I never have listened. If you tell me it's good I'll give it a shot.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Anybody else listen The Greatest Generation Podcast? Last week's episode reminded me how good DS9 S4x04 (Hippocratic Oath) is.

By the end of the episode O'Brien and Bashir's friendship is super tested in a wholy natural way that would never happen on TNG and Worf has totally fucked up his transition from Security Chief to not Security Chief and destroyed a massive Sting operation behing handled by Odo.

Man DS9 had such great character conflict and growth.

unlike disco

I feel like Disco is a bit too bloodthirsty.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Oh, I've heard adverts for The Greatest Generation while listening to MBMBAM, but I never have listened. If you tell me it's good I'll give it a shot.

it's a lot of fun. Just a couple of friends hanging out and making jokes while recapping the TNG or DS9 episode they watched earlier that day/lat night. They also do a pod for Discovery called The Greatest Discovery but I don't have time for that one.

edit - a couple weeks ago they did an episode for the 2 parter DS9 season 4 starting episode, probably a good first episode to listen to actually.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Discovery S2E10: Great episode, once again :biggrin:
    I absolutely love this Spock!
    And Holy Batman, Plot Twists!
    - Mom?
    - Leland getting stabbed in the eyes, so the AI is still here?
    Extremely farfetched speculation:
    What if the AI is the AI from the short webisode of Discovery 1000 years in the future?

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: TOS and early TNG are often bad (though in TOS' case, just as often great!) but almost never boring. Spock's Brain is delightful fun that only a real killjoy could hate.

It's like if someone really hates on The Voyage Home for being too silly and fun, that's not a person I need to associate with.

I love the episode where it has Picard
    killing himself.

It was a great way to establish the kind of guy Picard was. Don't mess with him.

• Options
    It is Shatner's birthday.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    captain kirk is blowing out candles
    why is he blowing out candles

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

I love the episode where it has Picard
    killing himself.

It was a great way to establish the kind of guy Picard was. Don't mess with him.

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that season 1 TNG was stronger overall than season 2, but "Time Squared" was a pretty great episode.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    captain kirk is blowing out candles
    why is he blowing out candles

Make love to the candles

This discussion has been closed.