As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    And in B plot land: a lady mentions baseball to Sisko and his boner is immediate

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    It's all good acting by Gates, she's rad

Anyway we're watching Quark return home to face the incredible revelation that his mother is fucking wearing clothes and amassing a giant empire of profit under male aliases which sets him reeling

His mom is rad of course

His mom is also fucking the Ferengi version of... their president/pope/king/CEO? And is basically the secret true power behind their entire culture.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Moogie is best space mom.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

See statements like THIS are how I know Strikor is a keeper!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

I think you mean "Mooooooooooooooooooooooooogieeeee." /Rom

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hmm I'll defend Pulaski

Maybe written a little bluntly but I liked what they were trying to do

Chanus had it right that it doesn't quite work because Data doesn't sass back

I loved that she hated transporters

I don't think she's as bad as some say. In some episodes, yeah, they write her as super mean for no reason. But a lot of other times they write her well and the character works really well.

Yeah. Honestly, Pulaski wasn't much rougher than many of the regulars in their first season, and if she'd stuck around they could absolutely have made her a smooth part of the machine. They were already starting to figure her out in the back half of her season.

I'm really against the concept of "bad characters." Very few characters are so misbegotten they can't become interesting and valuable parts of a story, especially when played by a halfway talented actor. The actual issue with Pulaski is that she was unnecessary; the show already had a good character and actress in that role, and trying to recreate the Bones/Spock dynamic is another instance of how the franchise can get weirdly gunshy, where the first thing producers do is try to recreate some old thing that worked, often without completely understanding why it worked (for instance, how the movies keep trying to redo Wrath of Khan).

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Or they keep blowing up the Enterprise and hope to get the same reaction they got in ST:III.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Or wanting to do time travel again for the fourth new one. Thankfully that looks like not happening though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The movies always trash the Enterprise. I liked how it crashed in Generations.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Seeing the saucer section crash and slide through the environment was pretty wild.

• Options
    The Beyond Enterprise destruction was kinda meh. When the ship has only been there for two movies it doesn't have that almost like losing a character effect. When the second of those movies is awful even less so.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Plus it did actually work in Generations as marking the end of an era and fed back into Picard's plotline.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It also meant they could ditch the made-for-TV Enterprise D sets.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    The Beyond Enterprise destruction was kinda meh. When the ship has only been there for two movies it doesn't have that almost like losing a character effect. When the second of those movies is awful even less so.
    Showing it in the trailer hurt it even more....and making it obvious it was at the beginning of the movie and that it wasn't a joke.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Three movies is a pretty good age for a setstarship, you can see why they want to change them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Just once I want a crew to upgrade to a new Enterprise without blowing the old one up. “Hey new ship, what happened to the old one?” “Oh it was getting outdated so we handed it off to a team of astrobiologists”

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    wandering wrote: »
    Just once I want a crew to upgrade to a new Enterprise without blowing the old one up. “Hey new ship, what happened to the old one?” “Oh it was getting outdated so we handed it off to a team of astrobiologists”

3 episodes later
    "We've recieved a distress call from the Enterprise X-1. They've been taken over by spores from a space fungus. "

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

3 episodes later
    "We've recieved a distress call from the Enterprise X-1. They've been taken over by spores from a space fungus. "

Isn't that just Discovery?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Crossover!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I have finally reached the beginning of season 5 in Voyager. The middle point of season four it was quite the burden.

Of note, the show continues to be bad (Janeway seriously telling 7 of 9 that she doesn't do enough and needs to give back when in THE IMMEDIATE PRIOR EPISODE she stays alone on the ship with the doctor for 30 days through a dangerous nebula tending to the ship and crew in stasis) and people pronouncing the word futile as "feudal" as opposed to "fyu-tile" irritate me in an irresponsible way.

The most worrisome development is that....Neelix has been fine? Even good?

I may be becoming ill.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I have finally reached the beginning of season 5 in Voyager. The middle point of season four it was quite the burden.

Of note, the show continues to be bad (Janeway seriously telling 7 of 9 that she doesn't do enough and needs to give back when in THE IMMEDIATE PRIOR EPISODE she stays alone on the ship with the doctor for 30 days through a dangerous nebula tending to the ship and crew in stasis) and people pronouncing the word futile as "feudal" as opposed to "fyu-tile" irritate me in an irresponsible way.

I may be becoming ill.

Oh no. His cheese has infected your bio-neural gel packs.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Carson VendettaCarson Vendetta Registered User regular

I may be becoming ill.

Oh no. His cheese has infected your bio-neural gel packs.

No, your bio-neural gel packs substrated for the bacteria in his cheese.

Also tachyons I guess

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

yeah I dunno, maybe it's because I didn't watch any trailers but the Beyond Enterprise destruction really tugged at my hearstrings a bit

it was a combination of the music and the slow distance shots of it breaking apart that did it for me I guess

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I overall enjoyed Discovery S1, even though I agree with many of the criticisms, but my God I do not want to watch a show about the Red Angel

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hum, I think this is a reasonable budget Beverly Crusher

WKchZOC.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    The horror of the "Remember Me" episode was great. The whole idea of reality rewriting itself to account for missing people is terrifying.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

I may be becoming ill.

Her pronunciation is fine: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/futile

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I remember seeing an interview where Jeri Ryan was talking about that, and how initially she pronounced it as "Fyu-tile", and one of the producers kept correcting her and telling her to pronounce it the other way (few-tull). She pointed out that it had usually been said the first way on the show, and was told it just sounded like that because of Patrick Stewart's accent. She then went along with it because she didn't want to get into a fight with the producer, but was still thinking, "But the dang Borg hivemind voice pronounces it Fyu-tile. Oh well".

• Options
    It would be amazing if they started up a STNG series again and the re-casted everyone.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I remember seeing an interview where Jeri Ryan was talking about that, and how initially she pronounced it as "Fyu-tile", and one of the producers kept correcting her and telling her to pronounce it the other way (few-tull). She pointed out that it had usually been said the first way on the show, and was told it just sounded like that because of Patrick Stewart's accent. She then went along with it because she didn't want to get into a fight with the producer, but was still thinking, "But the dang Borg hivemind voice pronounces it Fyu-tile. Oh well".

Jesus Christ, this is one of those things I never noticed before but now I'm never going to not notice it whenever I watch V... oh wait, never mind, it's not actually a problem.

hippofant on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    See if Tom Hardy would play Picard again.

Super Buff Picard

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would be amazing if they started up a STNG series again and the re-casted everyone.

Eh, I'd rather they quit rehashing stuff. I want to see NEW eras. I want to see what the future of the things set in motion by the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Eh, I'd rather they quit rehashing stuff. I want to see NEW eras. I want to see what the future of the thing set in motion by the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

Yeah, this was the best move that the STO mmo made, moving things down by 40 years or so. There's a lot of daft things in that storyline, but the time period is not one of them.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Data uses fewtull in First Contact

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    This got a good laugh out of me, but now I need to figure out what episode this was in

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Super Buff Picard

This time, the Nausicans need new organs

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Super Buff Picard

This time, the Nausicans need new organs

*Bane voice* Futile.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It looks like the fourth Kelvin universe movie has been shelved.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. I don't care though. Fyu-tile sounds better and it's how the Borg say it.

They even say it that way in Voyager, so they're not consistent even there.

This discussion has been closed.