As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Also, Tilly getting thirsty for Pike is the best.
    He seems to have that effect on young blonde officers. Especially ones with "strong female drives."

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The best thing about Riker is that's he's a smooth lover man and in traditional media style that'd make him some sort of fuckboy, but he's 100% not, he's a great guy and genuinely respects the people around him.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    not really a spoiler but eh
    That sure is a crotch hugging gold spandex jumpsuit.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The best thing about Riker is that's he's a smooth lover man and in traditional media style that'd make him some sort of fuckboy, but he's 100% not, he's a great guy and genuinely respects the people around him.

I also quite adore the adult relationship he and Troi have.
    https://youtu.be/wmAgeEhxGv4

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    New Discovery is a lot of fun!

I like Pike, I continue to like how fun all the technology is (and I no longer care that it's a prequel) and I am very invested in the existing cast so getting to see them be cool again is great

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I'm super upset about the uniform situation. Their reasoning on why Pike was using the "old" uniforms was cute but holy shit they looked soooo much better than the "current" uniforms.

(also I can't believe they spent the time to design them just for them not to be used more than once)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, wasn't the whole thing that Discovery was a top secret science ship and that's why they had different uniforms?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The Blue ones just seem to be standard issue Starfleet and the uniforms worn by Pike and his officers we see for a little bit are the new uniforms that haven't been widely adopted yet by the rest of the fleet.

Also the chest badges were different since they don't need the rank pips on them as the new (TOS style) uniforms have ranks on the sleeves.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The Blue ones just seem to be standard issue Starfleet and the uniforms worn by Pike and his officers we see for a little bit are the new uniforms that haven't been widely adopted yet by the rest of the fleet.

Also the chest badges were different since they don't need the rank pips on them as the new (TOS style) uniforms have ranks on the sleeves.

my understanding from the episode is that while the enterprise was on its 5 year mission (which caused them to miss the war) the federation changed their uniforms (which is why admirals and people not on discovery were wearing them last season). Pike even mentions the "new" uniforms when he comes aboard.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    If only they didn't have all this continuity baggage they have to continue explaining away instead of focusing on story. That said, I was actually pretty impressed with the episode. Just wish Michael's brother was an original character instead of rehashing an existing one.

And was that a Transformer sound effect I heard when that gravity thing was unpacking?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just watched the 3rd Q episode. I think I can see what the producers like about that actor, enough to bring him back for a 3rd showing in just 2 seasons, but I'm starting to find him annoying.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Q does almost get a little over used early on, but the actor is so god damn good at playing the character and it livens up the *blank* of the week episodes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Most Q episodes are only adequate, but the best Q episodes are some of the best stories in the franchise.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Solar wrote: »

I also quite adore the adult relationship he and Troi have.
    https://youtu.be/wmAgeEhxGv4

Riker is the best guy, I love that there isn't even an ounce of "ownership" of Troi, just straight up "if you can make her happy, great, and maybe she'll make you less of an asshole"

override367 on
  • Options
    I still think my favorite thing is when Q realizes Picard has a weakness towards women and says if he'd know that he'd have appeared as one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    michelle yeoh in discovery season 2 rocking some kind of awesome braided undercut with a goth as fuck outfit AND getting her own spinoff

37rmpusxm698.png

yisssssssss

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Discovery season 2
    I really want Commander Reno to stay. She was marooned in an impossible situation with literally no hope of survival and she responded by becoming a Super Science Super Saiyan, and that's the most Trek thing I've ever seen.

Plus, we could always use more snark.

• Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I always remember Robert Picardo as the hitler painting collector from justified.

I remember him as the guy who gets sexed up by the female Gremlin in Gremlins 2.

Also the Cowboy from Innerspace.

And Richard Woolsey from Stargate.

....Robert Picardo had been in a LOT of stuff, y'all

It's China Beach for me...

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Discovery season 2
    I really want Commander Reno to stay. She was marooned in an impossible situation with literally no hope of survival and she responded by becoming a Super Science Super Saiyan, and that's the most Trek thing I've ever seen.

Plus,
    They don’t actually have a chief engineer.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    DSC s2e1:
    This asteroid is on a collision course with a pulsar. In a couple of hours, tops, it’s going to be ripped apart.
    Oh! Good! For a minute there, I thought we were all going to die!
    And also
    That’s the power of math, people!
    I feel like this is exactly the tone that Star Trek has been trying to hit since, and I realize this will feel like a bit of a reach, the Battlestar Galactica reboot made grimdark sci-fi a thing people would watch at scale. The Kelvin timeline (RIP) came close, but I really feel like DSC is on track to lock it in and bring us a Trek for These Modern Times™. I’m super excited.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    wow I really liked that new episode of Disco

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Discovery season 2

Plus,
    They don’t actually have a chief engineer.

also Tig Notaro is awesome and I hope she stays on the show (but i doubt it sadly)
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    That’s the power of math, people!
    see the problem is that's the fucking worst. Tilly is cute but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh that's the crappiest part of her character.

(I know i'm in the minority on this but what you gonna do)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    It'd be neat if Tilly steadily ranks up over the course of the show, and the run ends with her as first officer.

• Options
    Finally got around to watching "Short Treks" and man this Calypso episode and this was kind of a stealth important episode.
    Whoa, is this the furthest into the immediate future we've gone (by immediate I mean within the existence of human beings).

And that kinda gives a dark end to the Discovery, given nobody goes back to find her. Star Fleet would have recovered it if they knew about it and the crew almost certainly would have told them.

Puts the fate of the crew, and possibly Star Fleet as a whole, into question.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I watched the new episode of DISCO and it was fine. And then I thought I'd watch The Cage for comparison's sake. And man that cheesy, 54-year-old, low budget episode of the original series is far more compelling than that modern, big budget episode of Discovery, huh?

I mean, I know it's probably not fair to compare something that's nostalgic for me with something that doesn't, or an episode of a story-of-the-week show with a single episode of a serial story.

But still. The Cage feels like a sweeping adventure. It's got exotic locales, compelling antagonists, romance, tragedy. An interesting theme of fantasy vs. reality. It's got cool aliens with big pulsing brains and a space alien zoo and a dancing green skinned slave girl and a medieval castle with a bright pink planet hovering in the background and eerie theremin-esque music. And my response was:

Q0WH8d7.jpg?1

Meanwhile, on the season premiere of Discovery, the plot is: there is some mysterious space energy, and they go after the space energy, and then they find some space rock with unusual energy readings, and they pick up the space rock, and Michael feels weird about her step brother. The end. Tune in next time for more incredible sci fi adventure!

My response?
    bipQvqa.png?1

wandering on
  • Options
    See when I rewatched TOS late last year I thought The Cage was... alright? A lot of it has not aged well (ho boy the sexism) and the pacing felt dreadfully slow at times (and I saw this as someone who usually likes slower paced shows/films)

and by virtue of its title, a lot of it just takes place inside a Cage! Which is fine, but it's like... not hugely exciting a pilot episode to me

gimme TNG or DS9 pilot episodes any day tbh

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    wandering!

I've never even been able to get all the way through The Cage and I thought Disco's s2 premiere was full of both fun character stuff and actually thrilling action and an intriguing mystery setup

Should we fight?

• Options
    The relaxed pacing of the Cage was a relief to me after DISCO, which felt rushed and overly eager to hold my attenion to me. (Rushed even though, paradoxically, it felt like barely anything happened in the episode.)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    wandering!

I've never even been able to get all the way through The Cage and I thought Disco's s2 premiere was full of both fun character stuff and actually thrilling action and an intriguing mystery setup

Should we fight?

e5uofdyavi9k.jpeg

• Options
  • Options
    For a while I've had a brilliant idea for a Star Trek AMV and I'm distraught to learn that someone else has already done it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXeLFaNhwQ

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    For a while I've had a brilliant idea for a Star Trek AMV and I'm distraught to learn that someone else has already done it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXeLFaNhwQ

this is excellent

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Oh hey they put in the ship explosion from Generations at the end.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Oh hey they put in the ship explosion from Generations at the end.
    I don't know if you're joking but they reused the explosion from Undiscovered Country in Generations. (And maybe one or two other places?)

https://youtu.be/XSqCJ-UGYns?t=4m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCWB4GqcFE?t=1m50s

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Physical models rigged with pyros, even of BoPs, don't come cheap. Damn right you're gonna re-use it.

• Options
    Physical models rigged with pyros, even of BoPs, don't come cheap. Damn right you're gonna re-use it.

Plus it was a hella sweet looking explosion.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don’t mind them reusing stuff in a TV show so much but somehow it feels kind of insulting/lazy to do it in a feature film

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There was also a VCR TNG board game (yeah I owned it, don't you try and judge me :)) that if you failed ended with the footage from Yesterday's Enterprise of the ship being destroyed by klingons.

It was also weirdly enough "hosted" by the actor who played Gowron, playing a not-Gowron klingon.

fake edit: Oh hey, youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_739DxrMOs

Oh man, I forgot how it ended too if you lost, in perfect Star Trek fashion.
    RESET BUTTON!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That's the "EXPERIENCE BIJ!" game, right?

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Question about Disco fortune cookie quote:
    Is that a quote Pike uses in the TOS episode?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
This discussion has been closed.