As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, is there any hope that with Discovery filling the "action trek" role, this show might be a little more.. thoughtful?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, is there any hope that with Discovery filling the "action trek" role, this show might be a little more.. thoughtful?

I wouldn't expect 78 year old Sir Patrick Stewart to be punching or shooting many things. Instead, I expect rousing speeches and evisceration via wit.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Him and Beverly just huffin doobs and chillin in the holodeck

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I wouldn't expect 78 year old Sir Patrick Stewart to be punching or shooting many things. Instead, I expect rousing speeches and evisceration via wit.

And hardcore nudity.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    MICHAEL CHABON??

Here’s hoping we get more him and less Akiva Goldsman.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    MICHAEL CHABON??

Just because Akiva Goldsman has written bad movies like A Beautiful Mind doesn't mean he hasn't also written good movies like Batman and Robin

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    MICHAEL CHABON??

Just because Akiva Goldsman has written bad movies like A Beautiful Mind doesn't mean he hasn't also written good movies like Batman and Robin

Silly cow, both of those movies are bad. :P

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    MICHAEL CHABON??

Much like Kurtz and Orci his tv work isn't as bad as his movie work. TV also has the advantage of writers being in control, rather than being at the mercy of film directors.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

This is exactly why at some point he's going to stun the shit out like 3 guys with knives.

• Options
    MICHAEL CHABON??

Much like Kurtz and Orci his tv work isn't as bad as his movie work. TV also has the advantage of writers being in control, rather than being at the mercy of film directors.

I should probably watch the rest of Fringe at some point since I hear it got good. But, yeah, there isn’t a single film he did writing on that I found all that particularly compelling.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    MICHAEL CHABON??

i deeply appreciate how hard you logroll for that terrible, terrible movie - we're all allowed one - but even you must admit that the enjoyable parts of it were more schumacher than goldsman

THAT SAID: if sir patrick told someone to "chill" before shooting them with a freeze ray I might be 100% in the tank for that

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I love the shit out of Batman and Robin, but for the same reasons I've managed to enjoy movies with titles like "Sssssssss!" that address the very important and vital issue of turning unsuspecting teenage assistants into normal snakes in order to survive the coming nuclear apocalypse, and the very real hazards that a mongoose poses to said snakes (yes, the final scene in the movie is a fight between a normal snake and a normal mongoose).

Trainwrecks are usually sad, but sometimes there's a really great one that is too horrible to not be entertaining.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Sssssss is a hell of a movie.

Certainly a unique solution to the oil crisis.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    nice to see nobody involved with the greatness that TNG got to is involved with this new product

*sigh*

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    nice to see nobody involved with the greatness that TNG got to is involved with this new product

*sigh*

Except Stewart....

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

*sigh*
    What's the point of making a new series if you're going to have the same creative team as 30 years ago?

• Options
    edited September 2018

*sigh*

Except Stewart....

who was not a writer or creator on the show?
    Coinage wrote: »
    What's the point of making a new series if you're going to have the same creative team as 30 years ago?
    oh I don't think you need the same creative team at all but it would be nice if there was somebody involved who has a sense of continuity and also had a sense of what good star trek is

edit - remember, I'm the guy who thinks discovery is awful

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

*sigh*

WORKED FOR VOYAGER

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    please do not analyze my joke too closely

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

*sigh*

Except Stewart....

who was not a writer or creator on the show?

True, he's just someone who had more experience with the show than somewhere between most and all of its writers and a stack of in-franchise directorial credits to boot.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    listen, I don't know if we should give the guy who directed A Fistful of Datas control of the franchise is all I'm saying!!! :D

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Um, yeah we should. We definitely should, in fact the whole thing should be set on Cowboy world.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Rick Berman is a giant asshole whom nobody wants back. Michael Piller is dead. Jeri Taylor is an elderly woman. Ira Steven Behr behr-ly ever worked on TNG and mostly as a junior producer rather than a creative head. Ronald D. Moore publicly, vocally never liked writing for Star Trek and, when he got the chance to make his own sci-fi show, filled it with action and sex and not-always-well-thought-out character conflict and other stuff that gives a certain type of fan The Shakes. Joe Menosky, who wrote "Hero Worship" and "Darmok" and "Year of Hell," already writes for Discovery and has a production credit on The Orville.

So.

• Options
    wow, way to depress me

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rick Berman is a giant asshole whom nobody wants back. Michael Piller is dead. Jeri Taylor is an elderly woman. Ira Steven Behr behr-ly ever worked on TNG and mostly as a junior producer rather than a creative head. Ronald D. Moore publicly, vocally never liked writing for Star Trek and, when he got the chance to make his own sci-fi show, filled it with action and sex and not-always-well-thought-out character conflict and other stuff that gives a certain type of fan The Shakes. Joe Menosky, who wrote "Hero Worship" and "Darmok" and "Year of Hell," already writes for Discovery and has a production credit on The Orville.

So.

I don't want answers or explanations I want to be mad!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Well, the series has existed for over fifty years, I'd say it's fairly okay for people to age out of a show that's been made on and off for five decades. Honestly, it's rather amazing that any quality material came out of it past the first series, considering how much it's been plagued by problematic writers and network fuckery.

I'm just glad that I can very much dislike Discovery and it's fine because there is Orville right there, doing the "updated Star Trek but clearly dedicated to the spirit of the original" thing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Ira Behr did a lot of uncredited rewrites for TNG. He's still very passionate about DS9.

Ron Moore didn't like working for Voyager. He had no problem with DS9 or TNG.

There are DS9 writers they can get back, like René Echevarria or Robert Wolfe.

• Options
    i think everything about discovery would have been perfectly fine if it weren't written for what tv exes think is the intelligence level of a network primetime audience

the ideas were fine, the klingon redesign is fine, the visuals are beautiful, the execution of the writing is just dumb and insulting

you're not likely going to get another TNG or another DS9 or chemistry like kirk/spock/mccoy and that's fine

just don't make it treat me like i'm stupid

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    you're not likely going to get another TNG or another DS9 or chemistry like kirk/spock/mccoy and that's fine

I think we absolutely could get something like that, it's just not likely to happen anytime soon with an actual Star Trek show. It's just too high profile a franchise for media execs to not completely fuck with it, which is doubly bad because of the fact that they're the exact type of folks who have no idea what people like about something like DS9.

We'll get something like DS9 quality again, but only after the current studio owning Trek burns itself out or sells off Trek and it happens to accidentally fall into the hands of people who really care about the material and actually get to write something good for it. It won't be intentional, and it will last maybe a series or two before it gets locked into another set of asshole media execs who re-ruin it.

• Options

I think we absolutely could get something like that, it's just not likely to happen anytime soon with an actual Star Trek show. It's just too high profile a franchise for media execs to not completely fuck with it, which is doubly bad because of the fact that they're the exact type of folks who have no idea what people like about something like DS9.

We'll get something like DS9 quality again, but only after the current studio owning Trek burns itself out or sells off Trek and it happens to accidentally fall into the hands of people who really care about the material and actually get to write something good for it. It won't be intentional, and it will last maybe a series or two before it gets locked into another set of asshole media execs who re-ruin it.

well yeah, i mean, that's what i meant by not likely

under current conditions it is just not likely to happen

• Options
    but that doesn't mean what you will get will has to necessarily be bad

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Oh bullshit.

CBS will never, ever make anything that competes with that project.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    It was flipping incredible in VR. I'm very disappointed.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Yet another example that if you're working on a fan project, never show it to anyone until you're done. Then it's on the internet and it's too late to stop you.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Stuff like that continues to mindblowingly stupid on the part of groups like CBS. Don't slap a kneejerk C and D on it, pull your collective heads out of your collective asses for five seconds and just buy it. Then it's an official product, it has the goodwill from the people that want it, and the IP is still completely protected.

Seriously, they could have a neat Trek product for total chump change, considering it's a fan project. I'm sure the guys working on it would love to get revenue from a pet project, and they'd get official sanction to keep working on it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    i think everything about discovery would have been perfectly fine if it weren't written for what tv exes think is the intelligence level of a network primetime audience

the ideas were fine, the klingon redesign is fine, the visuals are beautiful, the execution of the writing is just dumb and insulting

just don't make it treat me like i'm stupid

It's especially baffling in the context of a franchise that only got off the ground at all because it successfully fought against execs claiming that it was "too cerebral."

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    I do wish/hope they'd get someone like Michael and Denise Okuda involved. Those are people who know as much about Star Trek as anyone and were responsible for quite a lot of the look and feel of TNG trek (see also Rick Sternbach. He might be getting on a bit now, I don't know).

Wish they'd been involved in Discovery as well. New writers are fine, but it would be nice to have it feel more visually coherent.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I wouldn't rule that out completely, Discovery did excellently for its first season and Trek shows take years before getting into their prime. It's in better hands than Trek has had for decades.
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Yet another example that if you're working on a fan project, never show it to anyone until you're done. Then it's on the internet and it's too late to stop you.

True, but they can launch devastating reprisals after that. They can take it off You Tube, and likely sue the creators. This gets worse if they think they need to make an example again to make people remember not to fuck with their property. The days off fans making endless Trek videos with support from the company are over, unfortunately.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I will be disappointed if the premise of the show is 'try and recreate TNG'. Because that I don't think that would work, at all. I wouldn't have been similarly disappointed if the Twin Peaks season we've just had tried for nothing more than 'remember the good old days'.

Another thing I'm excited about is that this will be the longest sustained look at an era beyond the TNG/DS9/Voyager years we've had. Trek has been seemingly afraid to look ahead and has been filling in gaps in the past or doing alternate history of stuff we've seen for the last two TV series and the last three movies.

This discussion has been closed.