As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vacation's over in the [Jobs] thread

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    (it's easy work because he's super bad at this)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I work at a bank. Guy came in to say his cards were stolen. We told him that some of the charges would be difficult to dispute because someone used his card to take money out of an ATM and you need a PIN for that.

"How did someone get your PIN?"
    "Oh...I may have...told her."
    :tell_me_more:

Kaplar on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I work at a bank. Guy came in to say his cards were stolen. We told him that some of the charges would be difficult to dispute because someone used his card to take money out of an ATM and you need a PIN for that.

sjnilqsfd086.png

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I use to get this call twice a week

"Well I didn't want to forget the PIN so I wrote it on the back!"

or "Oh are you sure your card wasn't stolen? Because they used the chip and you physically need to have the card for that?"
    'Well I think it might have been my son/daughter'

so not fraud then?

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Oh and I have business cards for the first time.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Hey I got a 13% raise today

Buy a boat.

But definitely a smaller one.

It'll be the second happiest day of your life!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Buy a boat.

It'll be the second happiest day of your life!

Boat (noun): a hole in water you throw money into.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

Buy a boat.

That way you can spend the rest of the money on a horse.

Kakodaimonos on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I remember being so burnt out by work that people would stand up to offer me a seat. On the New York subway

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So I got a call from the navy enlisted recruiter (not the officer recruiter) to come in after work. They didn't really say why, but the place is on my way home so I figured I'd swing by, after all they did drive me out for my ASVAB and get the ball rolling on things for me, even though I'm now working with a different officer recruiter primarily.

Turns out that the head of the recruiting office there wanted to pick my brains in person about how I studied and prepped for the officer test, the OAR, because my score was so high. They've taken it twice so far with unsatisfactory results, and you get three attempts for your entire life, so they really wanted to knuckle down for their last attempt. I told them everything I studied for, though sadly I don't know if I was a huge help as the area they struggled on the most was the English section, they think (you aren't given scores for individual sections). Unfortunately my answer for that section was "I didn't study for it...I'm an English major and I've taught English for several years." Which isn't useful study advice.

Still pretty flattering that they called me in to help! (Though like, you could have just asked me these questions over the phone.)

Inquisitor on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I... I can't help myself, I thought about sparing you all this insanity.

Today New Owner rearranged the front office. Instead of a U of desks with a central open space to discuss things in (and both computer monitors facing out so it was easy to see any picture), all desks are now in a row, so everyone is looking over a shoulder except New Owner.

He also went out and bought a new desk, that is 5" wider and 6" longer, but it certainly is bigger (a new totally unused desk was provided free of charge).

It continues!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What is this dude's fucking issue

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Buy a boat.

Yay, TWO money sinks! May as well buy a used Ferrari, too...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    What is this dude's fucking issue

His desk is bigger because he is the most important. Also now he can watch what his slaves servants minions employees are doing all day.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

Buy a boat.

One time a co-worker was going to buy a used Porsche off a customer and our CEO got wind of it and came over all serious like and said "Jorge, listen man. I cut your paychecks so trust me. You may be able to afford this used Porsche, but you absolutely can not afford it."

minor incident on
    So, Anon, do you just take a deep breath each morning you walk in to work and brace yourself for whatever fuckery this guy has gotten up to since you last left him unsupervised?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I hate those people and also people who sit in the outside seat.

They know full well the carriage is going to be full but they just don’t give a shit.

Eh.

I used to sit in the aisle seat because I was in a city bound bus but wasn't actually going to the city, but a stop or three before the city.

And I have a large body. And the thought of using to ask somebody to stand up and move so I can get my fat self out, combined with the anxiety of the driver not seeing me trying to get off the bus and then driving away, making me late for work, etc etc etc

Yeah. I sat on the aisle seat. Usually next to the door.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

or "Oh are you sure your card wasn't stolen? Because they used the chip and you physically need to have the card for that?"

so not fraud then?

Just the phone call claiming fraud.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Buy a boat.

Maybe a vintage Jag or Alfa.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

so not fraud then?

Is it not fraud if your kid uses your card without permission?

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

so not fraud then?

I mean you could tell the bank it’s fraud and have your own kids prosecuted... Somehow most people don’t go that route though...

so not fraud then?

It's only fraud as far as the bank is concerned if they have the go ahead to pursue and prosecute the person committing it. Most people aren't gonna send the law after their kids for using their credit card.

So, Anon, do you just take a deep breath each morning you walk in to work and brace yourself for whatever fuckery this guy has gotten up to since you last left him unsupervised?

Yeah, honestly today I kinda of started giggling at it. The desk thing was a kind of "pffft, you're kidding me right?" moment. We all, Sales Manager, Old Owner, and myself stood there having a somber chuckle at it. Dude took a three hour (no joke) lunch to buy a bigger desk than everyone else.

So, tomorrow? Yeah, there will be a bracing.

BTW, there's been zero talk of meetings for renegotiation, and nothing on the calendar. Clock stops at 4p on Friday. Sales Manager has asked me to not even make a hint or try and help them on this one, we're morbidly curious if they're just trying to play chicken.

Oh, the front office rearrange doesn't effect me.

My office is the entire shipping bay, I have a desk in the corner and like 600 sqft with a roll up.

You can't fuck with it without fuckin' with me. Ain't no one wanna risk that.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So he rearranged your office to be a high school computer lab?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    As a service desk worker, probably the easiest way to guarantee that I will just straight up immediately start updating my resume and hunting is to rearrange the desks, and put them so we're facing walls or, worse, the corner.

I have looked directors in the eye and said, "Because I'm not a 5 year old needing to be put in timeout. I'm a grown adult. And should be able to see if someone enters my work area."

It just blargh's me so much to have to explain to these people. "Hey, how long does it take you to notice someone at your office door?" What do you mean? "You notice them right away, right?" Of course "Yeah, because your computer and desk have you facing the door." Oh yeah I never thought of that.

One manager swore up and down that is was a productivity thing and everything he'd read had suggested that SD analysts preferred that set up. "No I prefer to be treated like an adult, thanks."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

so not fraud then?

That is what we call "Familial Fraud" and typically you don't get you losses back through the bank. Like if you 8 year old swiped you card and bought a bunch of Snozberries in Will Wonka the Phone Game, you'd have to go through Google or the app company.

If your teen is a dirtbag and bought all the skateboards, you'd have to try and return the stuff or prosecute him.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

so not fraud then?

That is what we call "Familial Fraud" and typically you don't get you losses back through the bank. Like if you 8 year old swiped you card and bought a bunch of Snozberries in Will Wonka the Phone Game, you'd have to go through Google or the app company.

If your teen is a dirtbag and bought all the skateboards, you'd have to try and return the stuff or prosecute him.

Out of curiousity, legally, I imagine there'd be issues with calling it fraud/theft, when you know (and are related to) the person who committed the fraud/theft, but then are also not pressing charges against them?

"My son stole my Ferrari. It's parked in our garage. Gimme my new Ferrari."

hippofant on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Ok so I'm not at work so I don't have to be cheeky. Basically, real talk time. I guess I just need to vent because you all might know a thing or two.
    Last year I had a client who thinks my whole profession is worthless. I was the lead for some offshore teams. Doing that meant that I worked 10 hour days, getting up extra early to try to talk to my team because of the time difference, then spending the rest of the day telecommunicating in meetings with the client. It was miserable. It fucked me up for a while.
    The only way out of that Hell was to take a step back and become a minion.
    I've been a minion since then, for nearly a year now.
    When we had our reviews, mine were OK, with a lot of marks because of that client. My manager said the dreaded words "development plans". I feel like with those words that my career has come to a screeching halt. Combined with several others getting promoted, and obviously I wasn't, I'm sure I've reached my limit. Like, I don't mean just at this company, but overall in life. I've hit my maximum, and now I just wallow in mediocrity until I can retire.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Ok so I'm not at work so I don't have to be cheeky. Basically, real talk time. I guess I just need to vent because you all might know a thing or two.
    Last year I had a client who thinks my whole profession is worthless. I was the lead for some offshore teams. Doing that meant that I worked 10 hour days, getting up extra early to try to talk to my team because of the time difference, then spending the rest of the day telecommunicating in meetings with the client. It was miserable. It fucked me up for a while.
    The only way out of that Hell was to take a step back and become a minion.
    I've been a minion since then, for nearly a year now.
    When we had our reviews, mine were OK, with a lot of marks because of that client. My manager said the dreaded words "development plans". I feel like with those words that my career has come to a screeching halt. Combined with several others getting promoted, and obviously I wasn't, I'm sure I've reached my limit. Like, I don't mean just at this company, but overall in life. I've hit my maximum, and now I just wallow in mediocrity until I can retire.

Now you update your CV and peace out of the company

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wave both middle fingers while you do it.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's always going to be harder to get a promotion in an organization where you've requested a demotion, because a lot of hiring managers will interpret that as being unable or unwilling to do the work at that level. We'd all be better off if there were a way for people to step out of roles that didn't fit them without being punished for it, but I've never worked anywhere that's cracked that particular code.

I think you'll find it much easier to advance if you get a new job in the same field. You'll be able to present your body of experience in the most positive light and not be judged on that history.

If you've got to stay with your company due to financial or geographical restraints, then you need to have a clear and frank discussion with your manager about your career goals in the company and what led you to step away from your previous position. Ask their advice on what projects or skills would make you a better candidate for promotion, since the best thing you can do for a manager is give them a clear set of goals that makes them feel like they're doing a good job of managing, but mostly the point of the conversation is to make it clear that you're still interested in promotion, just not that promotion.

If you don't think your manager is going to be understanding or supportive, you can achieve similar results by cultivating a mentor outside your chain of command, either someone higher up in the company that you already have a good relationship with or a manager in a department you're interested in moving into. Have that same conversation with them, ask their advice, and if they can't directly help you at least you're putting your own narrative into the grapevine.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Thank you, guy, who was oh so kind enough to stop walking down the stairs to look around aimlessly for a few seconds, just long enough for me to reach my platform and see my train’s doors close. I am also very glad your train going the opposite direction showed up 30 seconds later.

*pouts at the bottom of a sarchasm*

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So the grant I was awarded. Only 20 libraries in the entire US were selected. And among the other awardees are places the like fucking New York Public Library.

Uh. This might be a slightly bigger deal than I initially thought.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You're going to need to make yourself a sash I think.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Thank you, guy, who was oh so kind enough to stop walking down the stairs to look around aimlessly for a few seconds, just long enough for me to reach my platform and see my train’s doors close. I am also very glad your train going the opposite direction showed up 30 seconds later.

*pouts at the bottom of a sarchasm*
    That’s a Sparta situation.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am honestly freaking out here.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Just about everything you’ve posted here makes it pretty clear you deserve it.

Quid wrote: »

Just about everything you’ve posted here makes it pretty clear you deserve it.

Awwwwwwwwwwww. :mrgreen:

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    As a service desk worker, probably the easiest way to guarantee that I will just straight up immediately start updating my resume and hunting is to rearrange the desks, and put them so we're facing walls or, worse, the corner.

I have looked directors in the eye and said, "Because I'm not a 5 year old needing to be put in timeout. I'm a grown adult. And should be able to see if someone enters my work area."

It just blargh's me so much to have to explain to these people. "Hey, how long does it take you to notice someone at your office door?" What do you mean? "You notice them right away, right?" Of course "Yeah, because your computer and desk have you facing the door." Oh yeah I never thought of that.

One manager swore up and down that is was a productivity thing and everything he'd read had suggested that SD analysts preferred that set up. "No I prefer to be treated like an adult, thanks."

Yeah but like

what if you're on the pa forums and wasting 5 minutes of company time

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.