As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vacation's over in the [Jobs] thread

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I think every new resident to the puget sound region caused an accident this morning. Or combined into several accidents.

I called my mother and told her to leave early.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ooo ooo, another one I hate*
    " From whence" is redundant. It's just "whence"

Go back whence you came

Sounds awful to my ear
    Go back to whence you came.

I still prefer from whence, personally

back to from whence

Return back from whence ye came to.

and the horse you rode in on!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I think every new resident to the puget sound region caused an accident this morning. Or combined into several accidents.

Why, what’s going on?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Why, what’s going on?

Cloverfield.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I did a bad at work. I'd like to go home and get away from today please

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So seemingly all my devs are frickin gone today.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Sleep wrote: »

No work can be done, shut her down. Go play games or drink good whiskey.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »

No work can be done, shut her down. Go play games or drink good whiskey.

I'm probably gonna faff about on an internet forum and drink coffee till it becomes an appropriate time frame to go out and pick up stuff for the halloween party i'm going to tomorrow night.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    You know what sticks in my craw?

Public correction over this shit. Look, did you understand me? Then let's keep going. We don't need to stand here and pat you on the back for knowing the "correct" way to say a word.

I have dimmer view of pedants, than those who say irregardless. Neither are very bright, but at least the person saying irregardless doesn't feel the need to make me feel stupid.

People who stop a conversation to correct someone else's grammar, pronunciation, or use of a word which everyone understood are assholes. Plain and simple.

This view is why it is so difficult to get people to help with conversational Language development.

I don’t really have any feelings about that, just noting that people trying to avoid being assholes by correcting my language makes it a bit more difficult to learn quickly.

So, okay, reading this I realize I should have specified that I meant people interrupting with corrections that were unsolicited. If you're trying to work on a language I think it's great to say "hey please correct me when I trip up on something," but that's a pretty specific situation and not what I had in mind.

You're totally okay, man, it just got me thinking that this is the reason getting people to help out is such a struggle. They really don't want to come off like grammar dicks.

It definitely feels bad to get somebody who goes "hey, uh, that's not how we say that" and you go "Whaaaaaaat I've been saying it that way for literally 10 years, nooooooooooooooooo".

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Since my company does a lot of insurance defense, I saw an accident on my way home from work yesterday and thought "Huh, I wonder if we'll represent the insured in that."

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Since my company does a lot of insurance defense, I saw an accident on my way home from work yesterday and thought "Huh, I wonder if we'll represent the insured in that."

Proof that the law firm hasn't taken you over yet since you didn't get out and give them a card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

Proof that the law firm hasn't taken you over yet since you didn't get out and give them a card.

Fuck that, the insurance company does that shit.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I had one of those bad start mornings today. Woke up late, stuck behind a school bus, stuck at a train, every red light was red.

I was still only 8 minutes late though, which is OK, work gives us a 10 minute window as long as we make up the time, but man I like getting here 5-10 minutes early.

I've never understood the "you'll make up those 10 minutes!" mentality some employers have.

Like, what will be accomplished in those 10 minutes at the end of the day when you wanted to leave 10 minutes ago?

We could all be working 6 hour shifts and no productivity would be lost.

I suspect if we ratcheted down on pointless meetings and other time wasting things, we could get that down to 2-4 depending on the industry.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    I had one of those bad start mornings today. Woke up late, stuck behind a school bus, stuck at a train, every red light was red.

I was still only 8 minutes late though, which is OK, work gives us a 10 minute window as long as we make up the time, but man I like getting here 5-10 minutes early.

I've never understood the "you'll make up those 10 minutes!" mentality some employers have.

Like, what will be accomplished in those 10 minutes at the end of the day when you wanted to leave 10 minutes ago?

I suspect if we ratcheted down on pointless meetings and other time wasting things, we could get that down to 2-4 depending on the industry.

It might be a shift we see eventually but I imagine it's decades away. It'll be like the struggle regarding telework -- managers who don't trust employees to work from home are the same managers who believe an ass needs to be in a chair from 9 - 5, regardless of what the owner of the ass is actually doing.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Was all jazzed for Friday and then I remembered that it's my Saturday to work this weekend.

Balls.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

It might be a shift we see eventually but I imagine it's decades away. It'll be like the struggle regarding telework -- managers who don't trust employees to work from home are the same managers who believe an ass needs to be in a chair from 9 - 5, regardless of what the owner of the ass is actually doing.

The one time I was remote I got met with a lot of hostility from workers who weren't remote (and the managers started feeling the brunt of it because it wasn't "fair") and they were skeptical I was actually doing work because a lot of my work isn't actually producing widgets.

My favorite are the meetings I get called down to his office for that I had 0 time to prepare for and I basically get tossed into the tank with the sharks trying to make heads or tails of what my boss even wants from these people. One time he wanted to move his faxes to be all digital but didn't realize there's a lot of HIPAA stuff that needs to be taken care of for that, so the phone company was trying to sell him on there non-HIPAA fax stuff before I got there. Of course I didn't know that until 15 minutes in because he was still talking about a new phone system with them and haggling on the price.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I had an interview today! I think it went really well. I had an edge because I met a few people from the company at a conference earlier this week, so I had a bit of an inside scoop plus instant rapport with the interviewers from namedropping

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Why, what’s going on?

Jackknifed semi on 405 just after i90 interchange, in addition to the other accidents before it, and the later one on i90 west.

We're earning that title today

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got my new glasses, forgot about it taking a bit for the eyes to adjust.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Still have to boil tap water cause lol flooding

There is a not-insignificant number of people upset by this

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Got an actually current spec file for this meaningful use extract I'm working on and it makes a billion times more sense than the old one.

They were trying to cram 3 loosely related concepts that all had many to many relationships into one file, with only a couple, barely defined fields, and no way to distinguish different instances of the same thing.

Now it's all split out with sequence numbers and dates and sanity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Still have to boil tap water cause lol flooding

There is a not-insignificant number of people upset by this

Not terribly surprised, but this is like mild inconvenience levels at best. I’m sure they’d explode if you couldn’t bathe in it.

• Options
    Meaningful use might as well have just been named "this is all pretty meaningless" as far as a specification and certification is concerned.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I just had my personal space invaded via video teleconferencing for the first time. :D

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m actually kinda of thankful for our Friday afternoon manager meetings if only because my will to work is always entirely sapped by lunch, and at least the meetings just require me to sit and listen.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Work is doing a cyber security blitz and one of their things is “find the QR code and scan it to enter for a prize”

I personally can’t wait for the USB drive scavenger hunt portion.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Work is doing a cyber security blitz and one of their things is “find the QR code and scan it to enter for a prize”

This seems.. counter productive.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Is the prize a remedial session on security practices?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Clean running water is the greatest miracle convenience that the modern world has to offer the humans that live in it so yeah going without suddenly is upsetting.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Meaningful use might as well have just been named "this is all pretty meaningless" as far as a specification and certification is concerned.

From the few I've had to deal with, pretty sure the first iteration of MU data specs any entity puts out are from them asking a clinical person what they'd like to see without then having a database person give it pass to see if it makes sense for EHRs.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My department at work has, after voting on a short list of suggestions, decided to do "Taco Bell menu items" as a group costume thing for Halloween.

Anyone got suggestions on how I can dress as regret?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My department at work has, after voting on a short list of suggestions, decided to do "Taco Bell menu items" as a group costume thing for Halloween.

Dress as a Taco bell employee if you want to represent regret!

El Skid on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

Or a toilet.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Dress as that employee who had his picture taken while licking a stack of tacos.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My department dropped the ball on a group halloween costume so I'm falling back on my Ghostbuster costume because damn it it was expensive to put together

• Options
    I'm lucky i get to work from home on halloween cause getting back to my town that night is a fuckin joke.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I just had my personal space invaded via video teleconferencing for the first time. :D

I'm a frogrammer, and in my office I have a painting that my mom made for me with a Douglas Adams quote. It goes...
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

It was RIGHT behind me the other day at work when I did a video teleconference with a 3rd party and a couple of our customers.

OOPSIE FECKIN' DAISY.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

The regret is supposed to be from eating Taco Bell, not from working there.

I don't want to perpetuate an attitude that anyone who works at a fast food place is undeserving of respect.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Did not get the job. Did get some advice on what to work on next time, because as I thought my performance during the interview was weak on questions that didn't ask direct knowledge. At least those I crushed but still, not a great capper to this week.

Now I sit at the doctor's office waiting to discuss depression and have bloodwork done after, so I haven't eaten since last night. I am unhappy.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Clean running water is the greatest miracle convenience that the modern world has to offer the humans that live in it so yeah going without suddenly is upsetting.

Yeah no most people are just annoyed by it right now but it's also one of those things that is basically "we are so close to completely lacking the trappings of civilization" thing

And this was caused, literally, by just too much rain in a single week. It rained so hard over the last week or two that there was too much water for the treatment plant to go through, especially with how much contained runoff

This discussion has been closed.