As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I remember vaguely hearing that someone was looking into Pence's involvement in the greater scheme of things, so that both he and trump would get the boot by Mueller together.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I am an Indiana resident that couldn't wait to cast my ballot against Mike Pence and few things would make me happier than to see him go down with anyone else should heads actually roll. But if he's a Russian stooge I'm LeBron James. The dude openly contradicted his running mate at the VP debate on Russia, Ukraine, and NATO and was subsequently called out by said running mate at the following presidential debate.

If he got dirty it was during the transition.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    If I've learned one thing in all this, politicians are cheap to buy. Pence may not have been dirty but it probably didn't take long to get him neck deep in shit.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Wasn't Pence caught in some lies way back about knowing more than he admitted about Flynn?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Wasn't Pence caught in some lies way back about knowing more than he admitted about Flynn?

Yes he was, in documented letters from Congress if I remember correctly.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Yes but I believe that was about him knowing Flynn was full of shit and that he did nothing about Flynn supposedly lying to him for weeks

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Oh fuck:
    When talking to a listener who called into his radio show Tuesday afternoon, Hannity said he expects the president to fire special counsel Robert Mueller and end the investigation into Russian election interference “sooner rather than later,” potentially after Hurricane Florence passes. Given Hannity and Trump reportedly talk so regularly that some White House staffers, according to The Washington Post, have dubbed the conservative media personality the president's unofficial chief of staff, it remains to be seen whether Hannity is offering the president his personal advice or if he’s simply expressing wishful thinking.

On one hand, it's Hannity. On the other...it's Hannity.

Didn’t they also do something super shitty during Hurricane Maria and think the natural disaster would decrease the news coverage?

Edit: it wasn’t Maria, they used Hurricane Harvey to provide cover for the Arpaoi pardon

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348327-trump-i-pardoned-arpaio-during-hurricane-because-i-thought-tv-ratings

I think I see another reason conservative politicians don't want to do anything about climate change; They can use all the disasters it causes as a smokescreen to distract attention from their brazen corruption and looting of the country.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I go away for a week and both Manafort and Cohen flip?!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

You had one job!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

You had one job!
    Apparently my job is to go away for a longer time!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Lawyer, legal reporter, lawnerd

This list is v enlightening

More southpaw opinion

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    My personal opinion on Pence based on what we’ve seen so far is that he probably had nothing to do with Russia during the campaign, but sure as hell learned details during or after the transition.

If the GOP were smart, they would have completely isolated Pence from all of this as a backstop. So that if everything goes to shit and Trump is impeached and everyone is going to jail, Pence could be sworn in with plausible deniability and then just issue pardons. I don’t think anyone in the White House is that forward thinking though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is the VP usually head of or at least part of the transition team? Because the Rogue's Gallery of Notable Half-wits were nearly all connected to that. And Pence was right up in that. It's where his jeopardy with Flynn came about.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The main appeal in relying on Pence is that he doesn’t trip over his own dick like Trump does 24/7.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    My personal opinion on Pence based on what we’ve seen so far is that he probably had nothing to do with Russia during the campaign, but sure as hell learned details during or after the transition.

If the GOP were smart, they would have completely isolated Pence from all of this as a backstop. So that if everything goes to shit and Trump is impeached and everyone is going to jail, Pence could be sworn in with plausible deniability and then just issue pardons. I don’t think anyone in the White House is that forward thinking though.
    Sure but if anyone in he Trump team we’re smart they would have dirtied him the moment he was committed(before the election*). This would prevent the GoP from having an out and from backstabbing him.

And if no one in the Trump team were smart then they couldn’t inoculate him anyway

*more or less once he cannot back out so that the best option for the GOP is to continue on. If Pence backs out and blows the whistle the GOP loses and the democrats have political capital on their side. If he doesn’t then they’re pot committed.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Pence's playbook right now should primarily be about turtling as long and as hard as he can; he gains nothing by weighing in or taking a stand on anything happening around trump right now. Also, if worse came to worse and trump ate shit Pence would probably just let him go; trying to pardon him would only ensure that Donnie would be around for decades, further empowering the angriest, dumbest parts of the base in ways that only serve to undermine the objectives of the party. No, Trump would eat shit in the worst way.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Pence's playbook right now should primarily be about turtling as long and as hard as he can; he gains nothing by weighing in or taking a stand on anything happening around trump right now. Also, if worse came to worse and trump ate shit Pence would probably just let him go; trying to pardon him would only ensure that Donnie would be around for decades, further empowering the angriest, dumbest parts of the base in ways that only serve to undermine the objectives of the party. No, Trump would eat shit in the worst way.

The scenario that just played in my head was Trump getting impeached, removed, pardoned, and then Primarying Pence in 2020.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

The scenario that just played in my head was Trump getting impeached, removed, pardoned, and then Primarying Pence in 2020.

Removal via Impeachment bars you from ever holding any federal office.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Is the VP usually head of or at least part of the transition team? Because the Rogue's Gallery of Notable Half-wits were nearly all connected to that. And Pence was right up in that. It's where his jeopardy with Flynn came about.

Pence was notably not involved, and was constantly sidelined by the President and his team. Pence is and was always a figurehead who brought the evangelicals on board, nothing more.

• Options

It's the Al Gore angle... go to Hawaii for reasons while the President is being impeached.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Pence was notably not involved, and was constantly sidelined by the President and his team. Pence is and was always a figurehead who brought the evangelicals on board, nothing more.

Pence was in the transitional team and the whole thing is filled with super corrupt and/or Russian shills he had to know what was going on. At the very least he looked the other way, since if he blew the whistle his meal ticket would be gone. Pence is utterly spineless standing up to these guys, assuming he had any honour to begin with - otherwise he would have been among the first to talk to Mueller ASAP. Unless he's been wearing a wire this whole time.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Except we know this isn't true because of the Flynn situation. He's in deep and been lying to cover his ass just like the rest of them.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Except we know this isn't true because of the Flynn situation. He's in deep and been lying to cover his ass just like the rest of them.

what he knew about Flynn doesn't suggest that he knew about Russian collusion. No matter how many times y'all repeat this it doesn't get any truer!

harry's nonsense about meal tickets is even more silly - after the election, blowing the whistle would make him President!! Pence doesn't know anything - Trump can't command or expect loyalty because Pence can't be removed or fired, so at first he was sidelined and now he's actively avoiding any possibility that he might be attached to the investigation. It's a good thing too because if Trump does go down, we still need a President that we can believe is clean to stabilize the government.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Is Mueller talking to Pence?

No?

Move on.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I don't see why Trump declassifying all these documents will help him.

Buzzfeed reporter:

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I don't see why Trump declassifying all these documents will help him.

Buzzfeed reporter:

If it was Trump's idea I imagine he released anything that had the word "Clinton" on it so he can say they were the real collusion.

If it wasn't Trump's idea I imagine the pages/texts were vetted so they could be attacked as though they represent the entirety of the investigation. So the parts of the FISA warrant that relate to the Dossier, or anything that might make Comey look bad, or look like he was coordinating an attack on Trump, etc.

If he's not releasing the whole thing, he's only releasing the parts that make him look good or someone else look bad.

• Options
    Oh, here's where they're going:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/406881-lisa-page-bombshell-fbi-couldnt-prove-trump-russia-collusion-before-mueller
    So, by the words of Comey, Strzok and Page, we now know that the Trump Justice Department — through Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein — unleashed the Mueller special counsel probe before the FBI could validate a connection between Trump and Russia.

Which raises the question: If there was no concrete evidence of collusion, why did we need a special counsel?
    With that statement, Page acknowledged a momentous fact: After nine months of using some of the most awesome surveillance powers afforded to U.S. intelligence, the FBI still had not made a case connecting Trump or his campaign to Russia’s election meddling.

The point of releasing those documents is to say "They couldn't prove Collusion when they started the investigation, therefore the investigation is invalid. Finding proof during the investigation doesn't count."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There's some new Page/Strzok conspiracy theory on the right, including the president, that I can't be bothered to understand.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    We couldn't find this thing, so we are looking for it?

• Options

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/406881-lisa-page-bombshell-fbi-couldnt-prove-trump-russia-collusion-before-mueller
    So, by the words of Comey, Strzok and Page, we now know that the Trump Justice Department — through Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein — unleashed the Mueller special counsel probe before the FBI could validate a connection between Trump and Russia.

Which raises the question: If there was no concrete evidence of collusion, why did we need a special counsel?
    With that statement, Page acknowledged a momentous fact: After nine months of using some of the most awesome surveillance powers afforded to U.S. intelligence, the FBI still had not made a case connecting Trump or his campaign to Russia’s election meddling.

The point of releasing those documents is to say "They couldn't prove Collusion when they started the investigation, therefore the investigation is invalid. Finding proof during the investigation doesn't count."

The special counsel was created because of the garbage Trump pulled with firing Comey, not because of any new evidence of collusion. I can't remember if it was explicit, but everyone figured that at the time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Suprise! It's stupid!

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's the exact same nothing burger there have been trying forever.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Trump is ordering the FBI/DoJ and others to release documents concerning texts from/with Carter Page and Bruce Ohr as well as FISA applications.

Either this is meant to distract from Kavanaugh, muddy waters and just make the IC look bad in the eyes of the base, or something bad for Trump is on its way.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    "You didn't have proof before you investigated"?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    "You didn't have proof before you investigated"?

Criminals everywhere will be happy to know the authorities can no longer look for proof of crimes without proof of crimes.

• Options

This is.... This is not even REMOTELY a bombshell, wtf The Hill?

Investigators didn't have all the facts before their investigation! Bombshell!!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

This is.... This is not even REMOTELY a bombshell, wtf The Hill?

Investigators didn't have all the facts before their investigation! Bombshell!!!!

John Solomon is a noted conspiracy theorist who the Hill employs because some right wing asshole bought them.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The Hill loves terrible headlines that make serious misrepresentations.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Not to mention that without a doubt there are a bunch of documents that haven't been declassified that would fill in the blanks for the reasons why they were suspicious in the first place. The fact that Trump has blatantly cherry-picked documents that support his preferred narrative should be obvious to everybody, but we do apparently live in the dumbest timeline.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The last few times Trump and friends pulled stunts like this it blew up in their faces. I can’t imagine these morons actually have something that’ll stick this time around.

"I see everything twice!"

This discussion has been closed.