As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    .... do people have x-ray vision or something?

I see one blank page and a ream of ????

It's a well considered assumption, based on the combined facts that a) the pages all look clean and uniform, and you'ld expect some pages to be different sizes, or colors, or folded, or crumpled, or discolored, so unless every single document was photocopied that day and put in the folders, something is off. And b), that not a single page was shown to the press.

Surely, there'd be some boilerplate thing, or a table of contents, or a front sheet of a fax that'd make it not look quite so obvious, but they couldn't even do that.

And it's not like Trump or his team ever earned the benefit of the doubt.

that's generally how we do all our reports

that said, I wouldn't be surprised

The picture above was from the phony press conference Trump held like a year ago to right?

They had dozens of folders that later seemed to just be for show, something about his business or regulations? I can’t remember the specific lie they were telling with that one.

right after he got in office.

they were supposedly outlining his separation from his business

That would explain why all the papers were blank then. Hey-oooo

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    It strikes me as potentially coincidence that after
    MorganV wrote: »
    .... do people have x-ray vision or something?

I see one blank page and a ream of ????

It's a well considered assumption, based on the combined facts that a) the pages all look clean and uniform, and you'ld expect some pages to be different sizes, or colors, or folded, or crumpled, or discolored, so unless every single document was photocopied that day and put in the folders, something is off. And b), that not a single page was shown to the press.

Surely, there'd be some boilerplate thing, or a table of contents, or a front sheet of a fax that'd make it not look quite so obvious, but they couldn't even do that.

And it's not like Trump or his team ever earned the benefit of the doubt.

that's generally how we do all our reports

that said, I wouldn't be surprised

The picture above was from the phony press conference Trump held like a year ago to right?

They had dozens of folders that later seemed to just be for show, something about his business or regulations? I can’t remember the specific lie they were telling with that one.

tax return if I recall

no, it was the "proof" that he was divesting fully from the trump organization and putting it into the hands of jr and eric.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Please stay on topic today for the love of god

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    CNN Legal Analyst: Renato Mariotti: Trump has “repeatedly asked” if Barr would recuse himself from overseeing Mueller because he wants a “loyalist” managing the investigation, according to @nytimes. This is corruption, pure and simple. Congress should investigate communications with Barr about the investigation.

This is going to be an interesting confirmation. Barr has called for more Clinton investigations.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    They can't draft a response ahead of time because Trumps lawyers know that he is either lying to them or not telling them the whole truth. So they know that there are things that they don't know. Crafting a response ahead of time would be pointless.

Why bother with any sort of a response when you know that Trump will just tweet whatever the hell he feels like anyway.

He is, in fact, now tweeting that they do have a response and it is 80 some pages long.

Seems like the kind of thing his lawyer should know about.

Is it 80 pages, but on each page is one tweet?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So.

When do the shoes start dropping?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, that is the only thing I would expect to hold up a Barr confirmation. A democratic senator asking him in hearings point blank "Did the President ask if you would recuse yourself from the Mueller investigation?"

Even then I don't know what answer is more likely to cause a problem for the required 2/4 Republican senators.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Let's talk about Barr and his confirmation in the cabinet thread please

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    So.

I believe at least some of the paperwork needs to be submitted by 5pm. So then at the very latest.

• Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    So.

I believe at least some of the paperwork needs to be submitted by 5pm. So then at the very latest.

Is that 5pm EST?

• Options
    Goddddddddddd this is like waitng for Santa!

ffhhihxddhk uh fxthg

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Goddddddddddd this is like waitng for Santa!

ffhhihxddhk uh fxthg

What?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The Flynn stuff didn't drop until 830 Monday.

• Options
    There are two court deadlines today though

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    So.

Is that 5pm EST?

Should be. Everything’s mostly taking place on the east coast.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/politics/robert-mueller-john-kelly-obstruction-investigation/index.html

No wonder john kelly isn't on speaking terms with trump and is on the way out. He knows the questions beings asked now first hand.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/politics/robert-mueller-john-kelly-obstruction-investigation/index.html

No wonder john kelly isn't on speaking terms with trump and is on the way out. He knows the questions beings asked now first hand.

My dream scenario is that Kelly agreed to wear a wire and tried to get Trump to admit to something. But then I wonder if Trump EVER trusted Kelly.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

My dream scenario is that Kelly agreed to wear a wire and tried to get Trump to admit to something. But then I wonder if Trump EVER trusted Kelly.

I think it's pretty unlikely that Mueller would wire up anyone inside the White House.

But if he did I doubt Trump is cagey enough to avoid saying incriminating things whether he trusts a given person or not. He can't even keep himself from saying incriminating things on twitter and in TV interviews.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I think it's pretty unlikely that Mueller would wire up anyone inside the White House.

But if he did I doubt Trump is cagey enough to avoid saying incriminating things whether he trusts a given person or not. He can't even keep himself from saying incriminating things on twitter and in TV interviews.

Exactly. This is a guy who calls journalists enemies of the people and still blurts out that he totally fired Comey to stop the Russia probe to one. Not even one he likes. Just the one he's talking to.

This is the guy who boasted about sexually harassing women when he had a mic pinned to his lapel.

It's not exactly going to take some genius scheme to catch this guy out. At all.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    According to Giuliani one of the things Mueller "tried to make Manafort lie about" TRANSLATION: "One of the things Manafort lied to Mueller about" is whether or not Trump knew about the meeting with his campaign manager, his son, his son-in-law, and a bunch of russian agents happening one floor below his home and office. Before and after which his son called a blocked number.
    According to Giuliani, investigators told Manafort they don't believe that the President did not know about the 2016 Trump Tower meeting that Manafort attended with Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and a Russian attorney who had promised dirt on Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. Giuliani, who received this information from Manafort's attorneys, accused Mueller's team of crossing the line by trying to force Manafort to say Trump knew about the meeting. "They repeated that conduct over and over and over again which gives us a clear indication of what they want him to say in order to get him out of solitary confinement. I find that abominable," said Giuliani

Yeah, Mueller "believes" Manafort is lying. I think Mueller knows Manafort is lying.

Viskod on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sure seems like they are trying to get out in front of something, and if that something happens to be the meeting at Trump Tower, and that Trump knew about it, then holy shit.

Marathon on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    That sounds a lot like Mueller's team has been going ,"are you sure you want to say that with that much certainty and say you are telling the truth? Are you really sure? Hint hint we might have some info suggesting otherwise and this might be a problem?"

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    That sounds a lot like Mueller's team has been going ,"are you sure you want to say that with that much certainty and say you are telling the truth? Are you really sure? Hint hint we might have some info suggesting otherwise and this might be a problem?"

"Of course Manafort was there. He wasn't lying. He told me he was going, and then he told me all about it as soon as the meeting ended. How dare you accuse him of lying! WITCH HUNT!" - The President, probably.
    "The meeting you didn't know anything about, at the time, or soon after?"
    "Yes! That one! NO COLLUSION!"

Because this reality is THAT stupid.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My fear is that this report is going to end in "Yup, he definitely did collude with Russia" and every conservative in the country will shrug, and that'll be the end of it. Everything after that point will just be noise.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I know they've floated the lines around before, but I wonder when we will hit the actual tipping point where instead of spamming "NO COLLUSION" he'll spam "COLLUSION IS NOT A CRIME" or maybe "NO CONSPIRACY"

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I know they've floated the lines around before, but I wonder when we will hit the actual tipping point where instead of spamming "NO COLLUSION" he'll spam "COLLUSION IS NOT A CRIME" or maybe "NO CONSPIRACY"

or Hilary did it too!

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    My fear is that this report is going to end in "Yup, he definitely did collude with Russia" and every conservative in the country will shrug, and that'll be the end of it. Everything after that point will just be noise.

In which case the dems use it for the next 30 years to show how corrupt the party is.

Like, there is no way that this just vanishes into the foot notes of history.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Exactly. This is a guy who calls journalists enemies of the people and still blurts out that he totally fired Comey to stop the Russia probe to one. Not even one he likes. Just the one he's talking to.

This is the guy who boasted about sexually harassing women when he had a mic pinned to his lapel.

It's not exactly going to take some genius scheme to catch this guy out. At all.

Getting him on tape being really honest would be so good though. Yeah, he admits to crimes basically weekly on twitter but it's still in an abstract way. He still couches his words in ways that he at least thinks makes them ok and legal (see - his "fighting back" language).

We can basically be assured from all the rumours and such and the way the unedited Apprentice footage is basically being buried in an unmarked spot in the desert somewhere that he's way more stupid, racist and criminal in private.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

My fear is that the same thing will happen with regard to the explicit and obvious, not to mention numerous, instances of obstruction of justice.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the conservatives have already been shrugging it off. Doing so after the report also isn’t going to change any calculus.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    These revelations always feel odd, because I think we've all known this shit for a year now. It's not really, for example, "HOLY SHIT, TRUMP KNEW ABOUT THE MEETING" so much as "HOLY SHIT, THERE IS CREDIBLE EVIDENCE TO SHOW TRUMP KNEW ABOUT THE MEETING."

Because of course he knew about the fucking meeting, a-doy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

In which case the dems use it for the next 30 years to show how corrupt the party is.

Watergate kinda did. Certainly the standard narrative on the right, especially with the establishment, is that Nixon did nothing wrong. And this is, sadly, unlikely to go even as far as even forcing his resignation.

It's very important to get the truth out there but I would never hold my breath on the right admitting he did anything actually wrong.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    These revelations always feel odd, because I think we've all known this shit for a year now. It's not really, for example, "HOLY SHIT, TRUMP KNEW ABOUT THE MEETING" so much as "HOLY SHIT, THERE IS CREDIBLE EVIDENCE TO SHOW TRUMP KNEW ABOUT THE MEETING."

Because of course he knew about the fucking meeting, a-doy.

Yeah, that's the thing to always keep in the back of your head. Mueller is piecing together a puzzle, but that puzzle is a picture of the shit Trump & co were present and actively doing.

He has to figure out what went on at the meeting and who knew about it from other sources. Don Jr. knows what was going on because he was actively doing the goings on.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It acting as verification or increased levels of detail on things we already know is indeed not a huge thing for those of us actively watching the topic every single day.

But as a potential precursor to what may come next, I am all aflutter.

Much like the notion that Trump seems to hate being president gives me a touch of schadenfreude, the idea that Kushner, Don Jr, and others in that circle might be feeling the walls close in is warm like an old blanket.

Even if it turns out there are holes, even if it crumbles apart before being anything substantial when I really need it, I will take what tiny moments of pleasure I can while the dumbest criminals known to man continue to fuck things up and are aided and abetted by half the political system and somewhere around a quarter of the populace cheers them on.

I want things to come of it, but until something tangible lands, I'll just keep munching on popcorn and Agreeing with hot takes.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

Watergate kinda did. Certainly the standard narrative on the right, especially with the establishment, is that Nixon did nothing wrong. And this is, sadly, unlikely to go even as far as even forcing his resignation.

It's very important to get the truth out there but I would never hold my breath on the right admitting he did anything actually wrong.

See, that's part of the catch with this; Nixon had the ability to resign rather then destroy the party and the country, and people were desperate to have some sense of normality after the fact.

Trump isn't going to do that. He can't go quietly and take this on himself since he is beyond any mortal fault and as a result people will hold this against the republicans along with all of his asinine policies for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I mostly glean, from these stories, a sense of what kind of repercussions all this shit will have. Yes, they all did the things, but what will happen to them?

And if i'm being honest with myself, the thing i most want is for Trump to be a laughing stock and fucking well know it. (I mean, I most want for him to rot in a fucking cell, but yeah sure.) Someday, his name will be synonymous with ignorance, corruption, and the very worst impulses of mankind. Not just among his detractors, but among his base. He will be the one who was given the keys to the kingdom and fucked it all up because he is painfully, critically stupid.

This will happen someday, and my sincere hope is that Trump is alive to see it.

I mean, yes, I want justice and to save our country and to help the victims of his reign and all that.

But Lizard Brain Jeffe just wants that fucker to be unable to escape the jeering laughter of a nation.

This concludes today's Two Minute Hate.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    There are lots of Democrats, both voters and politicians, who are waiting for Mueller to finish. And that end will also break through the noise in the media as well. Conservatives might shrug but once the public and the Dem party feel like they have all the information and evidence, that’s when there will be a big push for action and consequences.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    cmonnnn damn it!

Daddy needs his fix!

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Man, I dunno. The fact that we haven't done anything to the people who have openly admitted to arranging and attending the Trump tower meeting tells me that we're also not going to do anything once we find out that Trump knew about it.

• Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Man, I dunno. The fact that we haven't done anything to the people who have openly admitted to arranging and attending the Trump tower meeting tells me that we're also not going to do anything once we find out that Trump knew about it.

Just because they haven’t been arrested yet, especially when the investigation isn’t finished, doesn’t mean they will face no consequences.

This discussion has been closed.