As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I didn't realize we had her in custody. I guess this could be a big thing, though I'm not sure how much we should trust a Russian spy =p

She was in the same jail as Manafort! What a wild ride this is.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Julius wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Documents found showing illegal coordination between Trump and the NRA

No the documents show they hired two completely separate firms who just happen to be owned by the same company. (though one of the firms seems to be just the owning company itself.)

It is obvious illegal coordination and I predict nothing will be done about it. The law against it has always been a joke. It is trivial to come up with something that gives you plausible deniability, and there is no will to actually combat this.

This is not accurate. There were employees of the parent company working on ads for both campaigns and ad buys for both campaigns were often approved by the same person. There is considerable circumstantial evidence of coordination but it's within that firm not the campaigns themselves.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I didn't realize we had her in custody. I guess this could be a big thing, though I'm not sure how much we should trust a Russian spy =p

A lot of these crimes all occurred within the same jurisdiction. Partly because a lot of these are the same kinds of crimes.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

I smell a sitcom!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    If Butina has flipped, it is because the Russian government told her to. The usual thing with spies is that they cool their heels in prison for a few years and then we do a spy exchange. If she isn't patient enough for that, she can expect to "accidentally" fall out of a window when she gets back home - with the one exception that she has been told to do so.

Either that or she has defected and asylum is part of her deal. That could work too.

It's possible that Russia has decided to start tossing mueller bones so that he can keep the investigation going due to it creating turmoil in the west.

Because again: there's no losing at this point for putin, it's just a matter of how much does he win.

Nah. Trump being kicked to the curb and the next President reaffirming NATO and strengthening sanctions and such is not at all in Putin's favour. In general the Russian plan here has a ton of downsides for them long-term.

Depends on how much infighting America does, in the wake of such an issue, and how much people feel the new Preident is legitimate or not.

There's simply no way Trump goes quietly. And a good quarter of the electorate are going to go batshit.

There's not going to be a unifying leader in the wake of the fallout, and what we've seen with Michigan and Wisconsin, Republicans are going to disrupt the fuck out of things. It'll be terms, if not decades, before the US get back to "normal".

So what? The GOP establishment is AOK with sanctions on Russia and a Democratic president would have wide latitude to fuck with them and strengthen US alliances. The only people really beating the drum for Russia in the US are Trump and a couple of other Russia assets in the government. The GOP base changed it's view on Russia the same way they (and everyone else) did on the economy and it will just as easily slide back without Trump propping it up.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This thread title is killing me.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

I smell a sitcom!

He’s a fat-cat Republican. She’s a Russian spy. Together they solve commit crimes!

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    If Butina has flipped, it is because the Russian government told her to. The usual thing with spies is that they cool their heels in prison for a few years and then we do a spy exchange. If she isn't patient enough for that, she can expect to "accidentally" fall out of a window when she gets back home - with the one exception that she has been told to do so.

Either that or she has defected and asylum is part of her deal. That could work too.

Yeah, this just reads as a continuation of the "how much dissension can we sow" theme. Not that I'm not excited to watch the NRA burn to the ground.

If the NRA can continue to maintain support after appointing a man who is techncally guilty of treason to lead them and multiple mass shootings per year then I doubt that ties to the russian government would put a dent in them.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Yeah, this just reads as a continuation of the "how much dissension can we sow" theme. Not that I'm not excited to watch the NRA burn to the ground.

If the NRA can continue to maintain support after appointing a man who is techncally guilty of treason to lead them and multiple mass shootings per year then I doubt that ties to the russian government would put a dent in them.

Hasn't the NRA lost a shitton of support over the last two years? Like those mass shootings are ultimately taking a toll on their membership (i.e. their bottom line)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Hasn't the NRA lost a shitton of support over the last two years? Like those mass shootings are ultimately taking a toll on their membership (i.e. their bottom line)

It was just August this year that having their illegal insurance sales taken away might bankrupt them.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

And with damage to their bottom line, forcing them to burn money to defend themselves from lawsuits and the like would help at least prune their influence in American politics. Maybe we'd be able to go back to the original interpretation of the second amendment.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

The White House is adopting what one official termed a "shrugged shoulders" strategy for the Mueller findings, calculating that most GOP base voters will believe whatever the president tells them to believe. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/siege-warfare-republican-anxiety-spikes-as-trump-faces-growing-legal-and-political-perils/2018/12/08/679b785a-fa59-11e8-863c-9e2f864d47e7_story.html?noredirect=on

Kyle Griffin is a producer at MSNBC's The Last Word

However, this is an important quote in the piece.
    For now, Republicans on Capitol Hill are still inclined to stand by Trump and give the president the benefit of the doubt. But one pro-Trump senator said privately that a breaking point would be if Mueller documents conspiracy with Russians.

“Then they’ve lost me,” said the senator, noting that several Republican lawmakers have been willing to publicly break with Trump when they believe it is in their interests — as many did over Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s role in the brutal killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

If this opinion is large enough in the GOP congress it's Nixon time once Mueller unveils his report.

Please dear merciful God I know I have not been a good man but I go down on my knees and humbly beseech thee, O God, to grant me the sight of Trump actually fucking crying like a baby as Mitch McConnell literally metaphorically stabs him on the Senate stairs testifies against him to the Senate impeachment committee.

Et tu, Mitch, et tu

Hear me, O God.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The NRA membership is inflated by things like people buying lifetime memberships for their kids at birth. It’s seen as a great gift for baby boys in some ... areas.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Don't mock my smock or I'll clean your clock

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    (Like the fact the NRA never thought to wonder why an attractive redhead from a country with no gun rights legislation was so passionately involved in gun rights legislation.)

For the record, Russia has pretty strict gun legislation and she founded an organization that lobbied for loosening restrictions. Essentially a Russian NRA.

Gun rights and ownership are pretty popular among the western right wing. And the NRA is probably seen as THE organization to learn from. (On account of them being super effective.)

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hatch on moved onto the "who cares if it was a crime" phase.

CNN reporter:

Principled Republican continues to be an oxymoron.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    (Like the fact the NRA never thought to wonder why an attractive redhead from a country with no gun rights legislation was so passionately involved in gun rights legislation.)

For the record, Russia has pretty strict gun legislation and she founded an organization that lobbied for loosening restrictions. Essentially a Russian NRA.

Gun rights and ownership are pretty popular among the western right wing. And the NRA is probably seen as THE organization to learn from. (On account of them being super effective.)

Wasn't the whole 'guns for Russians' thing just a front to gain a foothold for Russians with right-wing gun activists? Like there's zero chance of Russians getting a right to bear arms in Putin's Russia and Butina is clearly, obviously, and possibly admittedly an agent for Putin's government.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Senator Hatch, if you can make anything a crime under current law, then why is Hillary Clinton not behind bars?

• Options
    “Okay but I don’t care"

• Options
    I mean, fuck, at least he actually told the truth.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Senator Hatch, if you can make anything a crime under current law, then why is Hillary Clinton not behind bars?

There's a pretty awesome 3rd tweet too

All the crime-ing from before you get elected don't count.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

More like 'all the crime-ing you do or have ever done is irrelevant so long as the lobbyists filling my pockets are happy with stock dividends'.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I'm kind of impressed that someone who's job it is to pass laws is dismissing the violation of laws as "you can find something to charge a person with if you really want to".

Because no, you really shouldn't be able to because most citizens should abide by the law. It's why you pass them in the first place.

• Options

Isn't the economy (much like reasonable doubt for the president) kind of sputtering out?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Isn't the economy (much like reasonable doubt for the president) kind of sputtering out?

Not if you need to tell people that it's great so they ignore the facts!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So I guess that’s Hatch retroactively expressing support for Bill Clinton. Victim of a trumped-up charge, good economy.

Or is there something *different* about that situation?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Orrin Hatch: "You can make anything a crime if it breaks the law." Yes you stupid fuck, that is exactly how law and order works. Hatch is retiring though, right? So he can say whatever the fuck he wants without any real consequence.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Orrin Hatch: "You can make anything a crime if it breaks the law." Yes you stupid fuck, that is exactly how law and order works. Hatch is retiring though, right? So he can say whatever the fuck he wants without any real consequence.

There was a time when that meant for a scant two months, republicans remembered where they left their spines.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So I guess that’s Hatch retroactively expressing support for Bill Clinton. Victim of a trumped-up charge, good economy.

Or is there something *different* about that situation?

Difference? Hmm... I wish I could Divine the Distinction between these inDistinguishable inciDents.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    More and more it seems like "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters" will go down in history as the only true statement Trump ever made.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    At least I can take comfort in the fact that as soon as he's out of office, regardless of impeachment, Trump is gonna get arrested as fuck.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The problem isn’t just elected Republicans, it’s Republican voters. In fact I would say they’re the bigger problem. If they weren’t so willing to let criminals get away with crimes just because they’re on their side, we’d see a total shift in behavior from the GOP, maybe even supporting the Mueller investigation and any consequences that arise from it.

But now the ultra-partisan cat is out of the bag and they’re all ride or die.

• Options
    Do billionaires ever get arrested? More likely he’s engaged in legal battles (which he doesn’t need to turn up in court for, his lawyers handle it) until his natural end at 93.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trump getting arrested/frogmarched is a fantasy. I would love to see it happen, but the far more likely outcome of all this is that however Trump leaves office, the next person blanket pardons him and encourages everybody to move on in a spirit of unity.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Butina's change of plea hearing has been set for this Wednesday.

Zoe is a courts and justice reporter with Buzzfeed News.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Plz no:

Republican voters
    NRA tangents

Ty

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Butina squealing could be pretty rich. If I remember correctly, the conjecture was that a bajillion republican congressfolk were getting re-election money through the NRA. Money that likely came from Russia, if i remember Wyden's letters accurately. And she would be the connection between the russian government and the NRA.

As in, this is part of why McConnell blocked Obama from doing anything. Because too many other republicans were already tied to this.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    edit: didnt see post.

Julius on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    ABC apparently has the details of the plea agreement which "includes cooperation."

The tweet is from a Buzzfeed reporter.

• Options
    On Morning Joe this morning they spent a good amount of time talking about the Mueller filings from Friday and the general direction / change in the wind on the whole case against Trump. They're pretty much certain that he's screwed, even bringing up things people here like to talk about like "well the DOJ has a policy to not indict" and "what if the SCOTUS has to decide?" They think in either case, they will go against Trump.

Admittedly this is mostly cathartic to listen to. The only piece of info in it that was new to me was that Cohen had disclosed the offers for help from Russia started in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctA5Ce4h6JU

This discussion has been closed.