As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If I recall Sean secretly owns a bunch of houses / real estate via some shell companies or something and IANAL but that seems like a pretty good way for some Russians to funnel you some money.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's a fruitless measure because while the tweets are deleted from our and Hannity's viewing, it's more than likely Twitter keeps receipts on that shit on their end.

It's also 100% guaranteed that Mueller already got what he needed from them and has his own copies

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I love how mass-deleting tweets both never accomplishes it’s intended goal AND always makes you look fucking guilty as all hell.

It’s the internet equivalent of taking all your legal documents out in the middle of the street before furatively shredding them.

It's worse than that. It's like taking out vast amounts of legal documents, then specifically choosing a smaller number of them and sealing them in an envelope labeled "SECRET - COPS KEEP OUT".

You're completely eliminating any possibility that they'll simply be overlooked. You're doing the investigator's job for them.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I love how mass-deleting tweets both never accomplishes it’s intended goal AND always makes you look fucking guilty as all hell.

It’s the internet equivalent of taking all your legal documents out in the middle of the street before furatively shredding them.

It's worse than that. It's like taking out vast amounts of legal documents, then specifically choosing a smaller number of them and sealing them in an envelope labeled "SECRET - COPS KEEP OUT".

You're completely eliminating any possibility that they'll simply be overlooked. You're doing the investigator's job for them.

Streisand effect.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    If I recall Sean secretly owns a bunch of houses / real estate via some shell companies or something and IANAL but that seems like a pretty good way for some Russians to funnel you some money.

Or, like all these right-wing piece of shit mouthpieces, he's in it for the money as much as anything else and he's just involved in some shady real estate scam bullshit to make more money.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So I guess Flynn's lawyers are claiming the FBI never informed Flynn that lying would put him in legal jeopardy. (Chyron on FOX.)

Just how stupid do you need to be to not know that lying to police is probably not going to help?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Flynn was an intelligence chief. If he didn't know that lying to the FBI was a crime, then I don't know how he functioned.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I guess Flynn's lawyers are claiming the FBI never informed Flynn that lying would put him in legal jeopardy. (Chyron on FOX.)

Just how stupid do you need to be to not know that lying to police is probably not going to help?

You set the bar down to "functionally unable to care for oneself" and gradually nudge it up until the judge consents.

I mean, you do that when you're rich and powerful and white and male. The rest of us get told to not waste the fucking judges time.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Ken White brought up the point that the audience for this defense isn't really the judge, since she presumably does not have enough cognitive impairment to make that believable, but rather the Fox News crowd and the MAGA chuds who want to believe in a nefarious FBI conspiracy.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Mueller recommended zero jail time. Why are Flynn's lawyers arguing anything.

Taximes on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

You know, you have to tell me if you're a cop.

moniker on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »

A few possibilities:
    1. Try want him to not be labeled a felon after all this is done.
    2. They submitted without knowing what Mueller’s recommendation was.
    3. They idiots.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The policy of “don’t indict a sitting president” is less “it’s illegal” and more “please try not to do this

Because a judge passes sentence. They can choose higher than the prosecution argues for if they want. Each side gets a recommendation

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

A few possibilities:
    3. They idiots.

4. Flynn may not be on Trump's side anymore, but he still as a vested involved in Republican interests i.e. Fox News propaganda.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Deletion of internet stuff always makes me laugh. That stuff is there for fucking ever because someone decides to back it up for whatever reason. Get's even more hilarious when someone already famous or involved in politics tries it because someone will have definitely taken copies and back them up in case stuff like this happens. Makes so much easier for them to know which old posting to look at before running someone through the wringer.

Mad that these fuckers aren't getting the jail time they deserve. On the other hand, this also does kind of take some serious bite out of Trump's pardon bullshit. They're still probably fucked with the pardon because that's an admission of guilt and shows they are on board with this bullshit. Selling Trump out means they can at least try to claim they have some honor.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

A few possibilities:
    3. They idiots.

I'd imagine you can't be a Lt. General and a convicted felon. Of course if there is one thing that needs to happen to Flynn it's never letting him wear a uniform again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

A few possibilities:
    3. They idiots.

No disrespect meant as I refute your post — solid guesses!

1. There’s no getting around that. Pleading guilty to a felony earns you a felony conviction, and you’re a felon. Sentencing hearings are about just that - getting a conviction thrown out would be a whole separate exercise.

2. There’s really no chance of this. Part of plea negotiations entails discussions of what each side will recommend. They often end up differing, thus the point of making arguments before a judge, who actually makes the final call.

3. Maybe! Can’t argue with that on merit alone.

Because three parties only make recommendations (gov’t, defense, probation) and the actual decision is left to the judge, it totally makes sense for the defense to argue their case. It’s unusual but a judge could disagree with the AUSA and decide guy deserves prison time. Anyone who has a stake in that not happening (the defense) may as well use the opportunity given them to lay out the case for probation.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

There's a conspiracy theory going round that Fox is preparing to turn on Trump. Prominent right wing twitter accounts have gone silent. Rupert Murdoch apparently flew in to meet with Mitch McConnell late at night. I mean it's 2018 so I'm not counting anything out anymore, but this still seems pretty far fetched. It's more likely some serious shit is about to drop and they know it.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

There's a conspiracy theory going round that Fox is preparing to turn on Trump. Prominent right wing twitter accounts have gone silent. Rupert Murdoch apparently flew in to meet with Mitch McConnell late at night. I mean it's 2018 so I'm not counting anything out anymore, but this still seems pretty far fetched. It's more likely some serious shit is about to drop and they know it.

Won't happen because there's a non-zero chance Fox News alienates Trump's base, at which point they would be in dire straights with only Fox Sports to keep them alive. (Remember, they sold everything else to Disney)

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    There's too much money in playing victim and peddling outrage.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    As long as Trump has the base, the GOP will never turn on him. Ever.

Hypothetically, maybe if Fox tries to propaganda the base away from him. But that’s a huge gamble that I can’t see realistically happening. Despite Trump’s foolishness and being a national embarrassment, he’s getting some the Right’s agenda moved through; massive tax breaks for the rich and racist policies being actively implemented.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular

Not that I believe Fox is turning on Trump, but because I want it to be true:

Fox's Napolitano: Fox’s Napolitano: We learned today that Trump committed a felony

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-12/cohen-will-talk-after-mueller-probe-is-complete-lawyer-says
    The special counsel’s team interviewed Cohen for about 70 hours, but little is known about what he shared. Cohen has admitted to lying to Congress and Mueller’s investigators about the timing of a proposed Trump tower in Moscow and Trump’s involvement in the project. Davis said that false testimony was shared with the White House before Cohen submitted it to Congress and it is possible Trump was aware at the time that Cohen would make false statements.

"Mr. Trump and the White House knew that Michael Cohen would be testifying falsely to Congress and did not tell him not to," Davis said.
    It was also revealed today in court filings related to Cohen that at least one unidentified aide to Donald Trump’s presidential campaign joined the attorney in an August 2015 meeting with the publisher of the National Enquirer to discuss suppressing negative news stories during the election.
    When do we get to the "I told him to lie and it was fine" part?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2018
    Is there any chance that Hannity just deleted a bunch of irrelevant bullshit so that when Democrats start talking about his insidious tweet deletions, he can point to a bunch of recipes and movie hot takes he deleted and be all, "Look at the deranged left, they'll smear anyone for any reason"?

Because that would be kind of savvy, and Hannity has always struck me more as amoral and unscrupulous than stupid.

Because seriously, that purge is super fucking balls out stupid.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Hypothetically, maybe if Fox tries to propaganda the base away from him. But that’s a huge gamble that I can’t see realistically happening. Despite Trump’s foolishness and being a national embarrassment, he’s getting some the Right’s agenda moved through; massive tax breaks for the rich and racist policies being actively implemented.

They’d get more done with Pence at the top.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-12/cohen-will-talk-after-mueller-probe-is-complete-lawyer-says
    The special counsel’s team interviewed Cohen for about 70 hours, but little is known about what he shared. Cohen has admitted to lying to Congress and Mueller’s investigators about the timing of a proposed Trump tower in Moscow and Trump’s involvement in the project. Davis said that false testimony was shared with the White House before Cohen submitted it to Congress and it is possible Trump was aware at the time that Cohen would make false statements.

"Mr. Trump and the White House knew that Michael Cohen would be testifying falsely to Congress and did not tell him not to," Davis said.
    It was also revealed today in court filings related to Cohen that at least one unidentified aide to Donald Trump’s presidential campaign joined the attorney in an August 2015 meeting with the publisher of the National Enquirer to discuss suppressing negative news stories during the election.
    When do we get to the "I told him to lie and it was fine" part?

Next week probably. Depends on how much traction Trump gets with the current plan to say it was all Cohen's fault.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Is there any chance that Hannity just deleted a bunch of irrelevant bullshit so that when Democrats start talking about his insidious tweet deletions, he can point to a bunch of recipes and movie hot takes he deleted and be all, "Look at the deranged left, they'll smear anyone for about reason"?

Because that would be kind of savvy, and Hannity had always struck me more as amoral and unscrupulous than stupid.

What I’ve seen is that most relates to Cohen and many of it is retweets of other folks. Plenty of Laura Ingraham in that tweet above.

• Options

Not that I believe Fox is turning on Trump, but because I want it to be true:

Fox's Napolitano: Fox’s Napolitano: We learned today that Trump committed a felony

Every time Trump does something that is seemingly beyond the pale, we've seen the same pattern from Fox.

A few of them reflexively go "What the fuck?" while the rest of them either gloss over it or ignore it completely, until they and the Republicans manage to whip up a talking point that lets them dismiss it.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Is there any chance that Hannity just deleted a bunch of irrelevant bullshit so that when Democrats start talking about his insidious tweet deletions, he can point to a bunch of recipes and movie hot takes he deleted and be all, "Look at the deranged left, they'll smear anyone for about reason"?

Because that would be kind of savvy, and Hannity had always struck me more as amoral and unscrupulous than stupid.

What I’ve seen is that most relates to Cohen and many of it is retweets of other folks. Plenty of Laura Ingraham in that tweet above.

The purge is probably because they're going to go super negative on Cohen in support of Trump's lame excuse that the felony is because of bad lawyer-ing.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

They’d get more done with Pence at the top.

Not without the base. For all intents and purposes, Trump owns the base. If the GOP turns on him, the base will eviscerate them during the next primary.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Republicans pushed Nixon to resign and had their worst legislative loss afterwards. They know how this turns out for them if they turn on Trump. They know they won’t convince hard Ds and independents won’t split for them. Plus they alienate their own base.

theyre lashed to the mast

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just a reminder, there sure are a lot of witches being found during this witch hunt.

That Mueller hasn't yet missed is something that should be noted. While I understand plea deals are an important part of the judicial process, if there's any group that could afford to fight these charges if they weren't true, it's these assholes.

But so far, Mueller appears to be batting 1.000.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's a fruitless measure because while the tweets are deleted from our and Hannity's viewing, it's more than likely Twitter keeps receipts on that shit on their end.
    I wonder if Hannity remembers James Gunn?

sig.gif
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I wonder if Hannity remembers James Gunn?

Are you sure you don't mean Smock Gunn?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Republicans pushed Nixon to resign and had their worst legislative loss afterwards. They know how this turns out for them if they turn on Trump. They know they won’t convince hard Ds and independents won’t split for them. Plus they alienate their own base.

theyre lashed to the mast

And as proven just last month, by continuing to lash themselves to that mast, the base is literally all they have left.

And if the economic downturn happens before November 2020 (which it probably will), they won't even have that. If they unlash now, they could possibly save themselves with Independents. They're not going to do that of course, because the GOP is now run by crooks, conmen, and cowards.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    They're not going to do that of course, because the GOP is now run by crooks, conmen, and cowards.

Also, they know the first person to properly jump ship (ie full on repudiation rather than hemming and hawwing) is going to be a f'n pariah.

Trump is going to turn the base and the media on them so hard, and if noone else jumps ship, they'll be the focus of his ire for months.

The flip side is, the first person to do so, if it does lead to a massive rebuke of Trump by the party, will be at the standard bearer for the party for years. But that relies on them believing a substantial number of their peers aren't crooks, conmen and cowards.

And despite the stupidity of most of those guys, I don't think any of them are THAT stupid.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Keep in mind even if the prosecution recommends no jail time the judge doesn't have to agree with them

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

It's also 100% guaranteed that Mueller already got what he needed from them and has his own copies

I realize they're two separate things, but didn't SDNY get access to every document in Cohen's "legal practice"? I mean if you're doing shady real estate deals, that's the gold mine right there, not whatever crap you've posted on Twitter.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MorganV wrote: »
    They're not going to do that of course, because the GOP is now run by crooks, conmen, and cowards.

Also, they know the first person to properly jump ship (ie full on repudiation rather than hemming and hawwing) is going to be a f'n pariah.

Trump is going to turn the base and the media on them so hard, and if noone else jumps ship, they'll be the focus of his ire for months.

The flip side is, the first person to do so, if it does lead to a massive rebuke of Trump by the party, will be at the standard bearer for the party for years. But that relies on them believing a substantial number of their peers aren't crooks, conmen and cowards.

And despite the stupidity of most of those guys, I don't think any of them are THAT stupid.

You know, it sounds like what these right-wing media personalities need is to take some sort of collective action. Maybe they should form a union.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I realize they're two separate things, but didn't SDNY get access to every document in Cohen's "legal practice"? I mean if you're doing shady real estate deals, that's the gold mine right there, not whatever crap you've posted on Twitter.

Not every some did get shuffled under attorney privilege

This discussion has been closed.