As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really feel they kept the same animations for the Nightborne the night elves had was kind of lame

Really I am not fond how this is basically WoD all over again I fell for that problem then I learned my lesson

I get that, the races are mostly just reskins, but at the same time I LOVE being able to have a night elf kind of thing on the horde side now. And their emaciated, glowy skin is different enough that they feel like their own thing to some degree.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    You're never going to totally all remove low-effort, low-impact players in group modes, but you're heavily incentivizing them to join your new mode by making it by far the most efficient route to gear up.
    The mode isn't too great at incentivizing the best kind of gameplay, either, since for high ilvl players the direct incentive is you can make your trip there significantly faster, but it's still a benefit to make sure that it doesn't stand out as the premiere destination for people with the shittiest gear possible to flock to for free rewards. If you can't see a relationship between incentive and player behavior I truly don't know what to do for you.
    You're saying that people have an incentive to behave badly in content that offers them the biggest rewards? Sorry I don't get what you are trying to say - do you mean if something is too easy then people take if for granted?

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Virtual ticket costs 50$ this year.

Wonder why they raised the price 10$

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    capitalism

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Zunde wrote: »

Greed.

My fun in Suramar hit a softblock. I mean, not really a block, but the next story quest is "complete 10 WQs" and I'm just kinda looking at the screen like "oh really now?"
    Edit - Oh my god I'm 2.3k away from unlocking Void Elves and 3.7 from unlocking Lightforged. Follower missions have been getting me a lot of surprise Highmountain rep, so I've got 13.1k to go. I'm not really hyped to unlock them in particular but nice anyway. As for flying in Legion, Court is 1.6k shy, Dreamweavers is 120, and Wardens is 5k away.

I dunno why but the difference between today and yesterday as far as rep progress goes feels really big. Yesterday I was like "ugh I'll get that eventually," now I'm like "I can finish all of these before the weekend."

Henroid on
  • Options
    yeah there were some bullshit time-waster steps in that to fill the weeks until nighthold opened.
    even more so in broken shore where they blew the whole story load for justifying the raid being opened immediately in the first week of the zone being open, without actually opening the raid, and then just had the weekly unlocking questline be bullshit time-waster crap as an arbitrary prerequisite to getting the class mount quests.

I'd expect that to be their go-to "please stay subscribed an extra 2 months before the raid opens" tactic again in BFA's major content patches.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Man. It's really cool to see the Nightfallen get cured of their magic addiction. I guess now I have to find out why they sided with the Horde instead of the Alliance. I've been told it's because Tyrande called them mean names.
    Edit - Oh shit. Or I'll see the demons going on a slaughter-spree in Suramar City. D:
    Basically after the war they decide they want to join the wider world now that the shield is down so they look for allies. On one side there's the Alliance, where Tyrande was a huge dick to them during the fighting and basically hates them because she's a self-hating elf. On the other side are the Blood Elves who are super nice to them, love arcane magic, and were all like "yeah that magic addiction sure is a bitch huh, come check out our swimming pool".

Though the Blood Elves are just as much, if not more about The Light now than anything else. Waaaay too many people don't know/forgot that their addiction to magic was cleansed when the Sunwell kind of became the Lightwell.

Honestly, I MUCH preferred the blood elves when they were magic addicts who put out a very public and pious paladin regiment while failing to mention they were tapping a naaru they had chained in the basement to power their spells. Like, that's fun.

The Blood Knights didn't really pretend to be normal Paladins. They were vengeful hardasses and they were not shy about it.

Personally, while I thought their pseudo-warlock Paladin thing was cool, I think the Belfs have a strong narrative arc. M'uru's sacrifice is a good redemption story, wherein the message is "hey you did some fucked up shit because the world collectively did your race dirty, but that doesn't mean it's too late to start trying to Do The Right Thing".

They've been one of the more consistently heroic elements of the Horde ever since.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm not getting this war campaign, sometimes.

"Gallywix is SO BAD. He's so GREEDY. Look at how he crushes those under him under the wheels of his own avarice. Come, hero! Let's give these upstart rich snobs a thumping!"

*proceeds to be given a quest that completing involves killing caddies, bellboys, and waitresses that loudly complain about how their life sucks before you snuff them out*

O .. kay.

magister umbric hates capitalism

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    @Dhalphir (and anybody else with a lot of M+ experience)

What's up with Aspix and Adderis? I went in with a group of ~335s and they were just one-shotting us. Adderis' Arc Dash in particular would hit us twice, three times at once, which was just enough to one-shot us (or, you know, three-shot us in under a second). The guides say that we should just spread for Arc Dash since it targets a random player, but he was regularly hitting a point behind me and getting me twice there and back (which was lethal for me). And there doesn't seem to be a ground marker for Arc Dash: are we all supposed to just be on the move during it or what?

I started searching for Aspix and Adderis bugs, and there seem to be a lot of issues with them, like Cyclone Strike and one-shotting at higher M+s. Baffling.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Are people killing themselves on the lightning shields?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Are people killing themselves on the lightning shields?

No. I was healing. Just standing off by myself (our group was all melee) and he just Arc Dashed behind me and then back through me again. Did it on two separate pulls too; the first time, I didn't even see what happened and my logs only showed one hit so I was complaining. Second time I was paying more attention and saw him go through me twice.

Searching on Reddit, people were saying that the way to do it is to just focus down Adderis to limit his Arc Dash nonsense, even if he had lightning shield up. That's what we ended up doing, though it seems contrary to the intended encounter design.

hippofant on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The past 48 hours of ‘I don’t have to run dungeons anymore? What the fuck Blizzard!’ To ‘I have to run dungeons now? ‘What the fuck Blizzard!’ Has been one of the most staggering player reactions I’ve seen in a long time.

Par for the course actually...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »

They were going to raise it by $5 to $10, but people who got it raised by $10 felt bad, so....

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    @hippofant there's two ways to deal with it

first, there are actually ground indicator arrows for where he's heading

secondly, when he starts the (short) cast, he picks his spots he's going to dash to. If everyone moves away from that spot, nobody gets dashed.

I am yet to test this, but I theorise you can simply stack tight as a group and move immediately as he begins the dash and nobody will get hit since he will dash back and forth inside a tiny little player-hitbox-sized area.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    hippofant there's two ways to deal with it

secondly, when he starts the (short) cast, he picks his spots he's going to dash to. If everyone moves away from that spot, nobody gets dashed.

I am yet to test this, but I theorise you can simply stack tight as a group and move immediately as he begins the dash and nobody will get hit since he will dash back and forth inside a tiny little player-hitbox-sized area.

So it's a ground target, not a person target? And it targets behind me?! And it targets multiple players at once??? Da fuq?

I dunno. I never saw any arrows, since - I think - he was targeting behind me, so it just wouldn't be within my FOV in standard camera positioning. If that's the mechanic, sure I guess, I can just stay on the move as Arc Dash is coming out, but that was not at all what I thought it was.

Edit: Okay, I found a GIF that shows it, but I gotta say, I've NEVER seen any arrows that look like that: https://gfycat.com/PlasticImmenseCusimanse (He also just murders everybody in this gif. :biggrin: )

hippofant on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's a person target, but tied to their ground location at point of cast. Dashes to them one at a time.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    It's a person target, but tied to their ground location at point of cast. Dashes to them one at a time.

The part where he double-hit me is what I'm really confused by. I guess he must ground-target behind me. (The GIF I linked does seem to show him passing through people twice, though I don't know if that's just animation flair or whatever.)

This wasn't even the first time I did M Sethraliss! I've done it at least twice on M+! Never had him just straight murdering people with Arc Dash before.

hippofant on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    You're never going to totally all remove low-effort, low-impact players in group modes, but you're heavily incentivizing them to join your new mode by making it by far the most efficient route to gear up.
    The mode isn't too great at incentivizing the best kind of gameplay, either, since for high ilvl players the direct incentive is you can make your trip there significantly faster, but it's still a benefit to make sure that it doesn't stand out as the premiere destination for people with the shittiest gear possible to flock to for free rewards. If you can't see a relationship between incentive and player behavior I truly don't know what to do for you.
    You're saying that people have an incentive to behave badly in content that offers them the biggest rewards? Sorry I don't get what you are trying to say - do you mean if something is too easy then people take if for granted?

I'm saying that fresh 120s are going to be far more likely than your average appropriately geared character to just spam iron and wood - and, while this is helpful! - your group starts to crawl if you don't have enough people actually participating in the combat portion. If Warfronts end up as the unbeatable source of gear for new 120s, you're going to have a far higher ratio of noncombatants and it's going to make the mode pretty slow.

I noticed that lopsided groups increased in frequency pretty much by the hour as I was running these yesterday and the day before, and there was a painful correlation with the amount of time these took. Given that all the content creators started dropping videos about how OP Warfronts were for gearing alts as time went on, I don't find that to be a coincidence.

• Options
    edited September 2018

I'm saying that fresh 120s are going to be far more likely than your average appropriately geared character to just spam iron and wood - and, while this is helpful! - your group starts to crawl if you don't have enough people actually participating in the combat portion. If Warfronts end up as the unbeatable source of gear for new 120s, you're going to have a far higher ratio of noncombatants and it's going to make the mode pretty slow.

I noticed that lopsided groups increased in frequency pretty much by the hour as I was running these yesterday and the day before, and there was a painful correlation with the amount of time these took. Given that all the content creators started dropping videos about how OP Warfronts were for gearing alts as time went on, I don't find that to be a coincidence.

... but the fast strategy IS to just spam iron and wood, upgrade all the way, then punch through the middle. This is something some people are complaining about, that it's impossible to lose the scenario, because the driver to victory isn't direct combat with the NPCs, but resource gathering (just like in Alterac Valley). People spending time fighting nonsense before you're ready, other than to defend points, is a waste of time, since attack waves spawn infinitely and you ultimately still have to wait for the demolishers to meander their way down to Stromgarde and destroy the gates anyways. Taking any other points other than the mine and the woods earlier have no real impact on completion time. I think the faster scenarios are because people are figuring this out.*

Also, beyond the people who just spam iron and wood, there are a lot of people who literally just /afk, and that hasn't been mitigated at all by the increased ilvl minimum.

* Also, pro-tip: if multiple people click on a mine cart at the same time, they all get the iron. Not sure if this is an exploit or not, but if you can time it up, your iron numbers build up much quicker.

hippofant on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

The part where he double-hit me is what I'm really confused by. I guess he must ground-target behind me. (The GIF I linked does seem to show him passing through people twice, though I don't know if that's just animation flair or whatever.)

This wasn't even the first time I did M Sethraliss! I've done it at least twice on M+! Never had him just straight murdering people with Arc Dash before.

If you move slightly from the position you're targeted then he could easily pass through you.

• Options

If you move slightly from the position you're targeted then he could easily pass through you.

I'm quite positive I didn't move at all, cuz, you know, healing. Also the monk in the GIF doesn't move either (cuz, you know, healing) and the mage arguably moves back if anything. They both get murderized, and it looks like the graphic goes through and back.

Anyways, regardless of how the mechanic works specifically, I know what to do now and have shared it with my guild. Thanks!

• Options

... but the fast strategy IS to just spam iron and wood, upgrade all the way, then punch through the middle. This is something some people are complaining about, that it's impossible to lose the scenario, because the driver to victory isn't direct combat with the NPCs, but resource gathering (just like in Alterac Valley). People spending time fighting nonsense before you're ready, other than to defend points, is a waste of time, since attack waves spawn infinitely and you ultimately still have to wait for the demolishers to meander their way down to Stromgarde and destroy the gates anyways. Taking any other points other than the mine and the woods earlier have no real impact on completion time. I think the faster scenarios are because people are figuring this out.*

Also, beyond the people who just spam iron and wood, there are a lot of people who literally just /afk, and that hasn't been mitigated at all by the increased ilvl minimum.

* Also, pro-tip: if multiple people click on a mine cart at the same time, they all get the iron. Not sure if this is an exploit or not, but if you can time it up, your iron numbers build up much quicker.

Yeah, part of the issue I've been seeing is that when we're at the point where we need to punch through the middle, we do not have shit for people there, because iron and wood is where you go when you want to fuck off without actually getting exposed and booted as an AFKer.

Actual AFKers are indeed a largely separate issue, and another piece of what they need to address with the mode.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    From what I've seen, you only need a small group of like 5-8 well geared players (one tank and at least one healer) to move things. They all grab axes and quickly cap points, top off on wood before heading back to base and occasionally help with defense. Then you just need about two more tanks gathering resources that are geared enough to stop attack waves before they reach point captains. If they have the healing, they are more than enough and the assault team can always drop by if they need help or just have everyone on resource duty that aren't the other tanks swarm them. I mean, if I play my CDs right, my 343 ret can burn down pure foot soldier waves (pop shield of vengeance, wings+trinket when I have five holy power -> divine storm -> judge or CS if I don't get refunded holy power -> divine storm -> wake of ashes -> normal rotation. At this point the non-elites are dead and I just have to finish off the elite veteran). Cavalry are a pain in the ass, but I can tie them up until people show up. Hell a good healer and a really well geared dps, that has defensive tools can take point captains.

Anyways, gets even easier if people really do a good job on how thing take points, if you have a well geared and coordinated assault group. Pretty much take mine first (I almost feel like you should let some people cap on iron before you take the lumber mill because it's almost always iron that is the bottle neck), then grab lumber yard, grab axes, grab newstead, top off on lumber. Then pop flight master whistle, buff up at alter of storms and ideally they all managed to get enough iron when they rush the mine to double up on wolf riders. Then laugh as you murder nps quicker.

Also the quicker you gather resources the quicker you can build everything. You do want the research in place for when you push so that the friendly NPCs are worth a damn.

• Options

So it's a ground target, not a person target? And it targets behind me?! And it targets multiple players at once??? Da fuq?

I dunno. I never saw any arrows, since - I think - he was targeting behind me, so it just wouldn't be within my FOV in standard camera positioning. If that's the mechanic, sure I guess, I can just stay on the move as Arc Dash is coming out, but that was not at all what I thought it was.

Edit: Okay, I found a GIF that shows it, but I gotta say, I've NEVER seen any arrows that look like that: https://gfycat.com/PlasticImmenseCusimanse (He also just murders everybody in this gif. :biggrin: )

I still don't see any arrows, even in the gif.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Smrtnik wrote: »

The second one flies out at the monk on the left at just about 8.76 seconds in. The first one goes for the survival hunter, but it's very hard to see because melee range.

Here's a shot of it in-flight, though you only see a part of it because of how fast the animation is:

5muaudr7umw7.jpg

hippofant on
  • Options

oh man those arrows are fuckin' subtle

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

The second one flies out at the monk on the left at just about 8.76 seconds in. The first one goes for the survival hunter, but it's very hard to see because melee range.

Here's a shot of it in-flight, though you only see a part of it because of how fast the animation is:

5muaudr7umw7.jpg

Ok this was a huge help. Initially i thought that was part of mistweaver spells.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've noticed that people look out for AFK people usually. Those just hiding in the woods or shoving themselves in a corner in the mines. The nice thing is so long as you got access to the kodos you can just about solo the thing. Get 50 kills, get the huge buff on a kodo and go to town.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    So it turns out the easiest way to kill Mother on Mythic is to have the entire raid cross at once with healing defensives up.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I think that*is* the Mistweaver spells. The visual indicator for Adderis there looks like it's the very brief, very faint circle that targets each person in the sequence he's about to dash to. If you see a circle underneath you, sidestep a few feet, and make sure to step away from your groupmates so you don't just jump into his path.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I mean the only people we have really interacted with are:

Rohkan-Trolls seem to give no shits because Trolls and most Elves don't like each other and he is kind of focused on his stuff
    Thalyssra-No real response, same with Occulus. My guess they didn't care? I don't know probably just ignored
    Rexar-Likes the Horde over the Alliance as one lets him live and do his stuff the other wants him dead. Straight up says he just doesn't want to deal with any of it and will do his job.
    Lillian Vos-Crazy
    Nathanos-Crazy and will follow Sylvanas off a cliff
    Garona-Again the Horde won't kill her, doesn't really ask questions, has some interactions with Nathanos that makes you think she doesn't like him but is in it for the Horde
    Saurfang-Sulking

The rest we deal with are Zandalari who give 0 shits about the Night Elves.

Lillian Vos isn't crazy.

• Options
    I think that*is* the Mistweaver spells. The visual indicator for Adderis there looks like it's the very brief, very faint circle that targets each person in the sequence he's about to dash to. If you see a circle underneath you, sidestep a few feet, and make sure to step away from your groupmates so you don't just jump into his path.

No, it's not. The white arrow in the screenshot isn't something he added himself to illustrate the spell - it's how it actually looks in the game. Very obvious once you know what to look for.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Has there been any announcements or news regarding how to unlock the ZG trolls or KT humans yet? Or just a "something we're going to do in 8 months so make sure you keep playing every day".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Has there been any announcements or news regarding how to unlock the ZG trolls or KT humans yet? Or just a "something we're going to do in 8 months so make sure you keep playing every day".

No official info.

The best we have is precedent set by the other allied races. You will almost certainly need rep with them, i.e. Zandalari rep and KT rep. You might also need a specific quest chain or series of quest chains completed. Very likely you will need Zandalari Forever (or the Alliance equivalent). This shouldn't be a big deal since those are required for entry to King's Rest.

And since they are coming in a patch you can bet your top dollar that a brand new quest-chain that will be added in the patch will also be required.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

No official info.

The best we have is precedent set by the other allied races. You will almost certainly need rep with them, i.e. Zandalari rep and KT rep. You might also need a specific quest chain or series of quest chains completed. Very likely you will need Zandalari Forever (or the Alliance equivalent). This shouldn't be a big deal since those are required for entry to King's Rest.

And since they are coming in a patch you can bet your top dollar that a brand new quest-chain that will be added in the patch will also be required.

Thanks!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    @Dhalphir (and anybody else with a lot of M+ experience)

What's up with Aspix and Adderis? I went in with a group of ~335s and they were just one-shotting us. Adderis' Arc Dash in particular would hit us twice, three times at once, which was just enough to one-shot us (or, you know, three-shot us in under a second). The guides say that we should just spread for Arc Dash since it targets a random player, but he was regularly hitting a point behind me and getting me twice there and back (which was lethal for me). And there doesn't seem to be a ground marker for Arc Dash: are we all supposed to just be on the move during it or what?

I started searching for Aspix and Adderis bugs, and there seem to be a lot of issues with them, like Cyclone Strike and one-shotting at higher M+s. Baffling.

We've experienced this twice, I think, and I feel like Adderis may be bugged. Both times this happened to us, Arc Dash instantly blew up a ranged DPS that was literally nowhere near the danger zones. Their combat log seemed to indicate they'd been like triple hit by Arc Dash, however.

Small, indie company.

• Options
    I'm not sure what danger zones you're referring to, that ability has no "zones*. And it's definitely not bugged, it behaves consistently and as expected.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Downed heroic devourer last night after somebody decided "fuck splitting dps and killing both eggs, let's kill one and just stay on the boss" and ta-da, one-shot it after that change.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    First m+15 has been completed.

mistweaver, prot paladin, arms, affliction, and subtlety on Atal'dazar

I was told that Sub rogues and affliction are horrible to not go that way

It sucks that everyone I ran with for years quit the game so when I default to I need help doing this I know now they are not there....

well whoever told you that is wrong because sub and affliction are some of the top specs right now

Yeah overall, but Aff sucks ass at aoe.

There are ways around it by having a tight group that can work with you, but I think for the average player in an average group you would have a rough time with trash as affliction. However, their boss dps is still insane especially in shorter fights so that likely makes up for worse aoe

• Options

No, it's not. The white arrow in the screenshot isn't something he added himself to illustrate the spell - it's how it actually looks in the game. Very obvious once you know what to look for.

Yeah i watched the gif a dozen times without seeing it. Then saw the single screenshot with the arrow. Then rewatched gif once and immediately saw it.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.