As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    First m+15 has been completed.

mistweaver, prot paladin, arms, affliction, and subtlety on Atal'dazar

I was told that Sub rogues and affliction are horrible to not go that way

It sucks that everyone I ran with for years quit the game so when I default to I need help doing this I know now they are not there....

well whoever told you that is wrong because sub and affliction are some of the top specs right now

Yeah overall, but Aff sucks ass at aoe.

There are ways around it by having a tight group that can work with you, but I think for the average player in an average group you would have a rough time with trash as affliction. However, their boss dps is still insane especially in shorter fights so that likely makes up for worse aoe

Sub does great on trash that lasts duration of two shadowdances. Outlaw is better on trash that dies faster. I suspect assasination would be better on trash that lasts a long long time, like in legion, but i could be wrong on this one since the increased lean on bleeds as opposed to poisons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Virtual ticket costs 50$ this year.

Wonder why they raised the price 10$

Supply (they have all of it) and Demand (people wants it).

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I actually really like the idea of the War Front, and the version we have now is fine for PUGs.

But I would like to see them add a Heroic or Mythic difficulty to the War Front that is tuned for groups running raid gear and have a higher level of communication.

The War Front as it exists now is tuned to the lowest common denominator, and it was not a challenge on day 1, and it certainly will not be a challenge in 2 months or more.

They should allow people to queue into it with a full raid group and set the difficulty much higher.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I'd actually be fine if they made higher versions that you could lose if you weren't coordinated enough. The concept is great but the execution is flawed.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    you can lose in warfronts, especially with a bunch of leeches

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm not sure what danger zones you're referring to, that ability has no "zones*. And it's definitely not bugged, it behaves consistently and as expected.

I'm referring to the indicators on the floor just before he Arc Dashes. In both instances I've witnessed, nobody in the group was struck by Arc Dash except for a ranged DPS that appeared to be nowhere near the indicator but was still struck multiple times by Arc Dash resulting in a more or less instant death.

I mean I've also seen mobs from the basement in Waycrest run up to the courtyard to cause a wipe on the trash before Soulbound Goliath.

So, I dunno, man; BfA be buggy.

• Options
    Losing because of leeches does not mean it is a difficult event.

I guess my point is just that I'd like a difficulty higher than PUGable. I'd like a difficulty that actually requires a bit of strategy, communication, and reactionary changes to the events of the battle.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    War Fronts are the most interesting and most boring thing they've ever introduced. Like, it's a super well crafted super boring experience. It's the ultimate skinner box - be bored for 30 minutes, win a prize. Island Expeditions are also awful. Overall this expansion's feeling kinda like a dud.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Or a PvP version of Warfronts with the opposing faction players to give them something to do while they're locked out of content.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I haven't stepped foot inside Alterac Valley in literally 8 years or more, but they could probably overhaul that zone to work like a PVP War Front, and it would probably be awesome.

Bring back some of the zone quests, but make them resource dependent and such. Let people gather wood and iron and build up their troops, upgrade their barracks and stuff, and make AV more like a dynamic battleground in the vein of War Fronts.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    First m+15 has been completed.

mistweaver, prot paladin, arms, affliction, and subtlety on Atal'dazar

I was told that Sub rogues and affliction are horrible to not go that way

It sucks that everyone I ran with for years quit the game so when I default to I need help doing this I know now they are not there....

well whoever told you that is wrong because sub and affliction are some of the top specs right now

Turns out a lot of people talk a lot of shit out their asses about classes in wow

I still remembet a bunch of people complaining about warriors and hunters being weak in pvp but surprise surprise bm (was) and arms (is) some of the best arena specs

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    assassination is also really fucking good with 3x this semi-bugged azerite trait

sure do like that that's still bugged

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oops I bumped the wrong thread

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    assassination is also really fucking good with 3x this semi-bugged azerite trait

sure do like that that's still bugged

what is the trait (throw knife?) cause im doing 2's with a ass rogue and I want ALL the cheese

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    knife in the back is a universal trait, shows up for every DPS class, and is one of the top 2 or 3 single target DPS traits for basically everyone, I don't think it's bugged though, just tuned high. Thunderous blast is right above it on single target and then occassionaly some specs will have one trait that's better than those but not often. They're way less good on cleave though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    wow assassination has a lot of OP single target traits

I'm guessing the bug part of that trait is it works even on unstealthed garrotes?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Nightborne joining the horde is fine; they don't particularly like Tyrande et al and it was clear that their interaction with night/high elves during the rebellion was more an arrangement of convenience than anything

the problem with the BfA storyline is that everyone who isn't sylvanas or an orc just kinda gets subsumed into the overall story; like are all the other member races/factions cool with burning teldrassil? Who knows, because the story doesn't really seem to be concerned about them at all

Look, all I am saying is this:

Give Gallywix a chance.

Mailboxes for everyone! Trams, lots of Trams! You'll witness Pandaran doing lines of Azurite off an Orc's ass. It'll be heaven.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    I think that*is* the Mistweaver spells. The visual indicator for Adderis there looks like it's the very brief, very faint circle that targets each person in the sequence he's about to dash to. If you see a circle underneath you, sidestep a few feet, and make sure to step away from your groupmates so you don't just jump into his path.

No, it's not. The white arrow in the screenshot isn't something he added himself to illustrate the spell - it's how it actually looks in the game. Very obvious once you know what to look for.

Oh shit, that's absolutely what I thought the white arrow was. Really? That's a pretty fucking bizarre in-game graphic.

Well, even easier to notice it, then!

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I think that*is* the Mistweaver spells. The visual indicator for Adderis there looks like it's the very brief, very faint circle that targets each person in the sequence he's about to dash to. If you see a circle underneath you, sidestep a few feet, and make sure to step away from your groupmates so you don't just jump into his path.

No, it's not. The white arrow in the screenshot isn't something he added himself to illustrate the spell - it's how it actually looks in the game. Very obvious once you know what to look for.

Oh shit, that's absolutely what I thought the white arrow was. Really? That's a pretty fucking bizarre in-game graphic.

Well, even easier to notice it, then!

The pale white stripes are Soothing Mists. The Monk has Jade Serpent Statue planted somewhere behind them, and whoever they're channeling Soothing Mists on, you'll see two pale white stripes hitting them, one from the monk and one from the statue behind them. At the time of the screenshot, the Monk is coincidentally channeling on the Hunter, who is in melee on the opposite side of the boss, so the arrow and the animation happen to overlap.

Everything else MWs cast is green. (Actually, Soothing Mists is also green, IIRC, but that's just how it shows up in the GIF.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Huh, turns out I really liked the horde leveling side. It was a lot of fun. I wouldn't go so far to say the Alliance side was grimdark, but it felt more serious. I had more fun hordeside, even if maybe the story wasn't quite as cohesive zone by zone.

Boralus still blows this shitty pyramid out of the water for ease of use, though.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Yeah I just learned last night that Alliance don't have to take a fucking flightpath from the central spot in their main city just to get to their docks. That's already getting very old for me.

Everything about the Zandalari is great in general, though. The quality and polish of the quest and story content in this expansion is probably the best part of BfA.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Yeah I just learned last night that Alliance don't have to take a fucking flightpath from the central spot in their main city just to get to their docks. That's already getting very old for me.

Everything about the Zandalari is great in general, though. The quality and polish of the quest and story content in this expansion is probably the best part of BfA.

The aesthetic and presentation of the troll city is excellent. Giant dinos everywhere, great colors, music, etc. But yeah the layout is balls. After getting Gonk I don't really mind the verticality as much cause you can just jump off, but the having to take a flight path between the area with crafting / portals to and from the area with transmog / ship is awful.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’m still confused over the thought process that led to the cooking trainer being at the top of the pyramid and the cooking vendor at the bottom

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I’m still confused over the thought process that led to the cooking trainer being at the top of the pyramid and the cooking vendor at the bottom

>BfA

>Thought process

Well there's your problem right there.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9fj5at/hope/

1yHwr5sALub6emlBRsdzqlgEQ7Df6rx1ITFtfO9A75c.jpg?w=528&s=d5ce91041f576ed31e30eb356f18f932

This is the kind of quality shitpost I stay subscribed to the subreddit for.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

>BfA

>Thought process

Well there's your problem right there.

Sometimes you wonder if someone just had a bad day and vendor placement is their subtle revenge.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    What's frustrating about the expansion right now is that all of the systems and features that are currently flailing could have been so much better. Island Expeditions have a lot of promise. Warfronts could have been really cool. Most everyone seemed to like the artifact weapon system quite well, though it had definite potential for improvement, so a second bite at the apple after Legion with all the benefits of hindsight could have been awesome.

Instead, BfA's core features are a misfire almost entirely across the board. Combine that with an almost impressive level of sustained oversights, bugs, controversial design decisions, a litany of communication issues on Blizzard's end, and class changes that have left a lot of specs feeling like their gameplay received a downgrade compared to Legion, and I just really have a lot of issues with what's happening right now. I'm a little troubled.

No expansion rollout is perfect, but I really think this one is beginning to stand out as one of the sketchiest. I suspect that a lot of folks who disagree simply haven't engaged with these systems enough yet to realize this.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    My playtime has basically dwindled to Kua'fon dailies and once I finish those I doubt I'll be logging in unless we get massive, substantive changes to class design and Azerite in general, and item design philosophy. BfA is a huge failure following Legion in my eyes.

• Options
    I've been busying myself with achievement/mount/transmog farming to keep things interesting. Between that and finding my way to a really cool set of players in a new guild (I've been sort of a free agent ever since my guild from Vanilla all transferred to Alliance on a PvE server) I'm still enjoying the game plenty, and despite all the memes, I trust that Blizzard gets things right eventually, just hopefully they can right the ship on this particular expansion before it turns into a big missed opportunity for them and the playerbase.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    What's frustrating about the expansion right now is that all of the systems and features that are currently flailing could have been so much better. Island Expeditions have a lot of promise. Warfronts could have been really cool. Most everyone seemed to like the artifact weapon system quite well, though it had definite potential for improvement, so a second bite at the apple after Legion with all the benefits of hindsight could have been awesome.

Instead, BfA's core features are a misfire almost entirely across the board. Combine that with an almost impressive level of sustained oversights, bugs, controversial design decisions, a litany of communication issues on Blizzard's end, and class changes that have left a lot of specs feeling like their gameplay received a downgrade compared to Legion, and I just really have a lot of issues with what's happening right now. I'm a little troubled.

No expansion rollout is perfect, but I really think this one is beginning to stand out as one of the sketchiest. I suspect that a lot of folks who disagree simply haven't engaged with these systems enough yet to realize this.

Zone design, dungeon design, and raid design has been great though. As unfun as warfronts and expeditions are after multiple gos at them, I have to admit the people who designed the areas themselves seem to have known what they were doing.

The senior and systems designers, though, seem to have really shit the bed, plus the producers seem to have pushed some unrealistic timelines / skimped on bug fixing and balancing.

hippofant on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular

You should put that as a question in the Developer AMA tomorrow, Friday 14th with Ion Hazzikostas, Game Director of World of Warcraft!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I love a lot of this expansion.

The warfront is fun to a point. Zandalar is gorgeous. The level experience was top notch. Some of the dungeons are really good and require a bit of thought. There are some things that drive me nuts too.

The oddity about this expansion is I have 0 interest in tanking dungeons. I loved tanking in legion and my prot warrior has been my main since vanilla. But for some reason I just have gotten to the point where even asked to tank I am just bleh. Something about the dungeon design just makes me not want to tank. Maybe it is too many trash enemies that ignore aggro. Or how compact the pulls are. But at this point I rather heal or dps than tank. Even with my warrior at about 337 ilevel.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The problem is, all the best stuff about this expansion are the things that you don't actually need an expansion for. New zones, new questlines, new dungeons and raids, the exact kind of content that we get with patches. The actual systems and features of the expansion as a whole are where it falls the fuck apart. It's a shame that they did so well on one front and have stumbled so much on the other.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The problem is, all the best stuff about this expansion are the things that you don't actually need an expansion for. New zones, new questlines, new dungeons and raids, the exact kind of content that we get with patches. The actual systems and features of the expansion as a whole are where it falls the fuck apart. It's a shame that they did so well on one front and have stumbled so much on the other.

I don't disagree. I've seen some Reddit comments today about how BFA would have been better if they just kept all the Legion mechanics and added these zones/dungeons/raids. This would have been a great 7.4 or whatever.

Some of them, rather rightfully I thought, asked why Blizzard spends all this time refining their mechanical systems, gets them to a point where they're all feeling pretty fucking good at the end of Legion, and then throws them it all out for a half-baked replacement full of crap. (Other than that it was too much work, all the class halls and shit. And obviously the artifacts/legendaries had to "go" in some respect, or we'd just carry them over from Legion.)

Across WoW's systems, I don't think any of them are improved from Legion to BFA, especially if you look at late Legion with Wakening Essence providing us with an easier way to grind up those legendaries. Set bonuses, relics, and legendary RNG are gone, but they just got replaced by azerite gear nonsense that's hardly an improvement. I guesssss the secondary stat rebalancing is nice? Though it's still early in the expansion so if there were problems with it, it wouldn't show up yet. Is anything else decisively better in BFA than in Legion?

hippofant on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Yay 120 on the DK. Got crafted i300 swords so I'm GTG. I'll still have to do the war fronts to unlock world quests and then take some time to go to Argus for Void Elf rep.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

The city planners are all trolls, what would you expect?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I don't disagree. I've seen some Reddit comments today about how BFA would have been better if they just kept all the Legion mechanics and added these zones/dungeons/raids. This would have been a great 7.4 or whatever.

Some of them, rather rightfully I thought, asked why Blizzard spends all this time refining their mechanical systems, gets them to a point where they're all feeling pretty fucking good at the end of Legion, and then throws them it all out for a half-baked replacement full of crap. (Other than that it was too much work, all the class halls and shit. And obviously the artifacts/legendaries had to "go" in some respect, or we'd just carry them over from Legion.)

Across WoW's systems, I don't think any of them are improved from Legion to BFA, especially if you look at late Legion with Wakening Essence providing us with an easier way to grind up those legendaries. Set bonuses, relics, and legendary RNG are gone, but they just got replaced by azerite gear nonsense that's hardly an improvement. I guesssss the secondary stat rebalancing is nice? Though it's still early in the expansion so if there were problems with it, it wouldn't show up yet. Is anything else decisively better in BFA than in Legion?

The frogs and rabbits are better.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The only BFA change I could make an argument for (off the top of my head) is War Mode, which I think is a straight positive for the game.
    Warfronts and island expeditions feel like the first iteration of something that could be cool if they improve on it next expansion. Of course, I haven't run a warfront yet because I'm alliance and it's only been a month since release, so how would I fucking know if they're fun or not.

I'd praise them for making azerite traits static to a particular piece of gear, but they removed azerite armor from M+ runs so you're still just fucking gambling trying to get those from the M+ cache. And the AP grind feels crappy and I've kind of abandoned it already.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

I don't think there's ever been a new continent's worth of zones and story included in a patch except for Argus, and Argus kind of sucked. For something that was supposed to be the culmination of WoW's major story arc, it felt pretty half-assed. Its new zones were tedious and its one dungeon was bad. Its raid was great, though.

Anyway, a bad WoW expack launch is having the login server shit the bed for two hours every other night during prime time and queues of 1500 or more until three months in. So while there are definitely some /facepalm problems with BfA, the idea that it's one of the worst expacks launches ever is kind of hyperbolic bandwagoning. Everything good about Legion that leant itself to long term re-playability has been preserved and has mostly worked from the start. The new dungeons are fun, the new raid is fun, M+ remains great, and PvP hasn't gotten worse.

The new raid's been open two weeks now, and my guild has already settled contentedly into our end-of-Legion routine. A couple of nights a week for raiding, a couple for M+, and everyone seems to be having fun. That feels like a good launch to me.

This discussion has been closed.