As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Also, regarding haste specifically---

I think allowing players to have control over haste/speed or whatever in any game is a mistake. Because doing it faster is always the best choice. Always. In any game that allows players to stack a haste-like stat, that is pretty much always the answer.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Players are going to stack something, right ? That's what they do.

If not Haste, it's Crit. If not Crit, it's Mastery. Take those away and they will stack whichever base stat delivers the most damage. Rather than fight players on this, give them a few things to choose from.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    granularity is cool and all to a degree but they have to find a balance that makes loot tables not too full of 100 niche items only one spec even cares about

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Also, regarding haste specifically---

I think allowing players to have control over haste/speed or whatever in any game is a mistake. Because doing it faster is always the best choice. Always. In any game that allows players to stack a haste-like stat, that is pretty much always the answer.

Yeah, it's not that somebody might consider haste as one stat too many, it's that haste behaves very differently than the others and while that has its appeal to us, it presents a challenge in class design. Do you design the Blood DK cooldowns with 10% haste in mind, or 20%? The class behaves differently depending on the too. Ret paladins in Legion, shadow priests for the last few years, etc etc

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Players will always find the path of least resistance in video games. You can patch it all you want, the next best thing will be jumped onto.

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I think haste should just be cooldown reduction for big damage cooldowns and utility. Attack speed could be its own. Resource generation could be one, too. All combined they become a super stat, and making haste reduce shorter, rotational cooldowns messes up basic gameplay in a hugely negative way for a lot of classes. I'd rather be able to stat into something meaningful like casting Recklessness a bunch more over time than feeling rocked by no haste.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Just unlocked the Nightborne. I wasn't expecting that Sunwell business to be part of it. Or at any rate, when Windrunner showed up I thought she would lampoon things. Then as soon as they talked about going to see the Sunwell, I fully expected something to happen. But before all that, totally caught off guard!

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Haste was probably a mistake. I'd argue it always makes balance harder because now people can do more and all of a sudden ability X, ends up being two powerful if it benefits from haste. Probably should have left it as auto attack speed and only shows up on gear that is used by melee.

I think they should have kept some of the stats they got rid of. Except armor penetration, it was rather problematic because IIRC it got exponentially more powerful as you stacked more of it, but I digress. They could have had more stats, but avoided overwhelming players with too many stats. One solution would be to limit certain stats to certain slots. For instance haste could just impact melee attack speed and be limited to trinkets and weapons (maybe treat it like primary stats, active when melee, but goes gray when speced caster and the opposite stat could be something like multistrike, I would keep multistrike universal, but add something where it's like an echo, each spell has a follow up hit and the higher your spell echo, for lack of a better name, the stronger that hit is). Anyways, by limiting stats to certain slots, you remove the need for the players to have to be aware of as many break points because it's no longer possible to hit those by getting a specific stat on every slot.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Fresh 120 Alt - Hit up both world bosses and every arathi rare and got nothing at all

No love for the new alt this week.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    When they say 'two unique enemy warfront commanders' do you have to go through the warfront cycle at least twice? Or do multiple runs of the same warfront have a chance at throwing different commanders at you?

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Two cycles the next time horde have the warfront it will be a different end boss same for alliance so horde will access the upgrade first.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Two cycles the next time horde have the warfront it will be a different end boss same for alliance so horde will access the upgrade first.

Yup it is one odd aspect of this that the alliance are basically two weeks behind the horde on all the warfront related stuff.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it's one commander per cycle.

Also, AMA today with Ion. The man has some big balls doing it alone: https://old.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9fv4tk/im_world_of_warcraft_game_director_ion/

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Haste was probably a mistake. I'd argue it always makes balance harder because now people can do more and all of a sudden ability X, ends up being two powerful if it benefits from haste. Probably should have left it as auto attack speed and only shows up on gear that is used by melee.

I think they should have kept some of the stats they got rid of. Except armor penetration, it was rather problematic because IIRC it got exponentially more powerful as you stacked more of it, but I digress. They could have had more stats, but avoided overwhelming players with too many stats. One solution would be to limit certain stats to certain slots. For instance haste could just impact melee attack speed and be limited to trinkets and weapons (maybe treat it like primary stats, active when melee, but goes gray when speced caster and the opposite stat could be something like multistrike, I would keep multistrike universal, but add something where it's like an echo, each spell has a follow up hit and the higher your spell echo, for lack of a better name, the stronger that hit is). Anyways, by limiting stats to certain slots, you remove the need for the players to have to be aware of as many break points because it's no longer possible to hit those by getting a specific stat on every slot.

I really miss Multistrike, but it ended up being a toss-up between keeping Multistrike or Versatility going into Legion and somehow the devs decided that a boring flat modifier was a way more exciting secondary to keep.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Well, that's a new one. I went 10-0 in the Black Rook Arena while solo. People kept killing people who were not me, and I just ran in and whacked people close to dying. When they did try to focus me, I just bubbled and Divine Steed'd away, and they went back to killing each other. As someone who barely PVPs, that was a nice chance of pace. Now, I just need to do that three more times for the mount.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    me at the start of bfa: why the fuck would i ever do these 3 day missions on the mission table nice try blizzard

me now: well this 3 day mission is the only one that doesn't give reputation for a faction i've maxed out so

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    The mission board right now feels very tacked on. I open my app and see lots of Honorbound rep tokens or 50 gold and just close the app again.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah it was a cool system in WoD and I guess it worked alright in Legion, but its time to let that thing die. We're not in charge of the war here, we're not the order leader.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I feel like they were trying to fix some serious issues from Legion.

-Board felt to mandatory and could easily cock block you in content. Now it's more of a bonus, since commendations speed up things and not doing doesn't me you get stuck there until you complete the mission. Unfortunately, with no spill over rep, BoA rep tokens or paragon bags, we hit a point where some mission tables are garbage. Starting to think I should have invested in follower stirrups for all my followers.

-Legion was pretty brutal about locking you into a follower choice. Yeah, you could change but that was a ton of work and luck. Now you can buy the items for them. The downside is the ones that bring back trade good and I gather azerite aren't worth it because the chances are way too freaking low.

-Troops could be largely made irrelevant. They have value, but steal missions get really fucking annoying steal when you need troops to check something and you might not have the troops you need.

Don't know if the game will make hidden followers non-bonuses or not. I'd rather the check on a limited pool of followers be finite missions (we seem to get like 3 every 12 it's seems). If need have a cap on total missions that can be active, but have that in two buckets, one for missions under 24 hours (follower items and special traits would be excluded) and one for stuff over 24 hours. Maybe up to 5 in the first bucket and 2 for the second bucket. The cap on followers in Legion was kind of dumb IMO given all the other limits. It made sense for Legion when the Inn meant you could get an unlimited number.

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Are either of the third row of ship upgrades worth buying?

A. Chance to get extra Dubloons from Island missions? You mean those things I ignore because they have almost zero value?
    B. Increased duration of shrines by 20%. I suppose there's an achievement to getting a bunch of shrine buffed kills that this would make easier.

Am I crazy for valuing that 150 resources more than either of the above 2 things?

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    Octavian wrote: »
    Are either of the third row of ship upgrades worth buying?

A. Chance to get extra Dubloons from Island missions? You mean those things I ignore because they have almost zero value?
    B. Increased duration of shrines by 20%. I suppose there's an achievement to getting a bunch of shrine buffed kills that this would make easier.

Am I crazy for valuing that 150 resources more than either of the above 2 things?

dubloons make islands WAY easier, and islands are worth doing, for the weekly at least.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the thing that makes them worth buying is getting access to the ranks after them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They didn't have the reputation bags at launch in Legion either if I recall. My guess is they'll come back later. I suspect the people who are exalted on all the relevant factions are a pretty small minority.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

-Board felt to mandatory and could easily cock block you in content. Now it's more of a bonus, since commendations speed up things and not doing doesn't me you get stuck there until you complete the mission. Unfortunately, with no spill over rep, BoA rep tokens or paragon bags, we hit a point where some mission tables are garbage. Starting to think I should have invested in follower stirrups for all my followers.

-Legion was pretty brutal about locking you into a follower choice. Yeah, you could change but that was a ton of work and luck. Now you can buy the items for them. The downside is the ones that bring back trade good and I gather azerite aren't worth it because the chances are way too freaking low.

-Troops could be largely made irrelevant. They have value, but steal missions get really fucking annoying steal when you need troops to check something and you might not have the troops you need.

Don't know if the game will make hidden followers non-bonuses or not. I'd rather the check on a limited pool of followers be finite missions (we seem to get like 3 every 12 it's seems). If need have a cap on total missions that can be active, but have that in two buckets, one for missions under 24 hours (follower items and special traits would be excluded) and one for stuff over 24 hours. Maybe up to 5 in the first bucket and 2 for the second bucket. The cap on followers in Legion was kind of dumb IMO given all the other limits. It made sense for Legion when the Inn meant you could get an unlimited number.

That's the whole point of the mission table in the first place though. The whole point is to get you to log in every day, if not multiple times a day, by enticing you with easy rewards. The whole point is to keep you thinking about WoW all the time.

Take away the reward, and you just have a fucking useless doohickey. Which, sure, fine, there's nothing inherently wrong about a video game/MMO without a compulsive, addictive cellphone game sorta mechanism, but if you're going to have such a mechanic in the game at all, then... wut?

Again, it's just like... what the hell are the senior designers doing/thinking?

hippofant on
  • Options
    If they point of the mission table was to force you to log in everyday, they wouldn't create an app with the express purpose of letting you manage your mission tables without having to log in.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't like the shitty low-tier followers that I have to keep replenishing every now and then. Just jack up the cost of missions by like 10% and give me more in game heroes to use on the boards instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    If they point of the mission table was to force you to log in everyday, they wouldn't create an app with the express purpose of letting you manage your mission tables without having to log in.

That is logging in.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Arthil wrote: »

Also, AMA today with Ion. The man has some big balls doing it alone.

I mean if you can't take the criticism and pressure of being the director for a popular mass media product, you shouldn't be in that position.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Yeah, I figure we'll get reputation bags later, which will help scripes since people will want either champ or turtle contracts from the get go.

As for the third tier of ship research. IIRC they disable doubloons in PvP islands, don't know if that's just against other players or if it's disabled altogether. If it's the later, then the main goal until they make doubloons worth a damn in PvP, is to unlock later tiers. For PvE islands, some of what you can get there is damn useful, currently they have one that is three doubloons and you can use it to pretty much one shot shit in normal. Don't know about heroic or mythic because frankly, I feel like I make more azerite nuking normals with a premade group and the drops outside of azerite are too fucking low. Speaking of which.
    Thank you all for your feedback on Island Expeditions. We’ve been monitoring the rate of rewards from Islands so far, and while we believe we hit the mark with the Azerite rewards, we’re not happy with the drop rates for the various bonus rewards (such as transmog items, pets, quest starters, etc.)

We’re currently working on a hotfix that will substantially increase the rate of these rewards. Once it’s live, you should start to see more of these items dropping for you (and your group members) on future Island Expeditions. While we don’t have a firm timeframe for this hotfix, we’re hoping to push it out later today.

Again, thank you for your constructive feedback, and we look forward to seeing you on more Island Expeditions!

Also the first answer from the AMA dealt with azerite armor.
    Azerite Armor.

To be brief, it doesn't appear that the core ideas behind Azerite armor pieces are working out well in practice; and in some places it seems to directly conflict with stated design directions we've heard from the WoW team in the past. There's really three key areas where the system doesn't work well:

We have a situation now where you can get a piece that's a 20+ ilvl upgrade be an effective downgrade because the traits on it are locked behind inordinately high necklace levels (which seems to line up in the bad way with the reasons we've been given in the past for why systems like reforging were abandoned -- upgrades aren't clear, or gear need to be 'worked' before it can be equipped).
    The traits themselves are underwhelming; the vast majority are passive, incremental, and forgettable (one of the reasons given in the past for why the oldschool talents that gave +1% to damage were scrapped) and very few of them have the same sort of game-changing impact that Legion's key artifact traits gave.
    There's a bleak outlook that we're going to be forced by sheer necessity onto the Azerite grind treadmill for the entire expansion simply to keep re-unlocking the same underwhelming traits we already have today as we upgrade our gear simply because getting gear upgrades forces us to and not because grinding Azerite is actually going to give us anything new.

So in that context, my questions are: Does the dev team agree with the above characterization of the state of Azerite armor? If so, what sorts of things are being thought about and planned to address the issues with the system, and what sort of time frame are we looking at to see those changes landing in game?
    We’re certainly not entirely happy with how the system is playing out, and all of these are very valid concerns. We agree that it’s a problem for someone to look at a 30-ilvl upgrade under normal circumstances and feel like it’s not worth equipping. I know this risks sounding like a cop-out, but a few of the problems you've outlined simply boil down to tuning.

Once you get to Heart Level 18 (a process that will become increasingly fast as the weekly catch-up system continues to ramp up, effectively letting you gain AP 30% faster with each passing week), you can activate the outer ring of any item in the game, and that’s where the most powerful traits lie. That was by design, so that you wouldn’t feel as much of a loss when upgrading to a higher level item that isn’t yet fully unlocked. There’s a ton of primary stat on Azerite pieces in part to bolster the importance of item level there, and the power of traits is directly proportional to the ilvl of the item that contains them, so a 370 Heroic Uldir helm will have a ~30% more powerful trait than a 340 Raid Finder Uldir version of the same item.

Where all of this breaks down is when both of the traits on your 370 piece are significantly worse than the ones on your 340 piece. Reducing the number of situations in which that is the case is one of the system team’s top priorities right now. We made hundreds of unique traits for BfA, and 216 spec-specific traits for the outer ring alone. Many of those are undertuned. A handful are overly powerful, to the point that they stomp out the entire decision space for a spec, and the game becomes about getting a piece with one specific trait. We’ll be fixing the outliers on both ends (probably buffing dozens of weaker traits and nerfing a handful of too-strong ones).

While the generic traits are deliberately fairly straightforward, some of the spec-specific ones are indeed too passive, or interact awkwardly with spec rotations. We’ll be retiring some of those in an upcoming patch and adding better replacements to the pool. And of course we’ll be adding all-new Azerite traits on new tiers of gear from upcoming content as the expansion continues. Again, tuning is a big part of the current problem. If you look at a guide and most of the recommended traits for your spec are various flavors of “proc damage on your target” or “proc a buff on yourself” then yeah, that’s really underwhelming – no argument there. But there are dozens of traits out there with deep interactions on par with Legion legendaries, old set bonuses, or gold-border Artifact traits, such as interactions between abilities or resource generation in ways that vary rotations, talent selection, stat priority, and so forth. The problem is that they’re just mostly too weak to feel worth using right now. But we can fix that.

In terms of long-term prospects, we see the current system as a foundation upon which to continue building, not a treadmill to throw out there and let sit passively for the rest of the expansion. We’ll be adding loads of new traits in future content updates, for starters. But tuning work is something that is already ongoing, and which will ramp up in the very near future as we now have most of the data we need to make these adjustments.

So they admit there is a failure here and that some of the traits just sucked. Still not really thrilled with the answer.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I can boil that answer down to "we should have play tested and iterated this in more in beta, thanks for testing it more for us please stay subbed!"

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

I mean if you can't take the criticism and pressure of being the director for a popular mass media product, you shouldn't be in that position.

I'm not sure that being technical director of a software product should mean that you're obligated to expose yourself to the wretched hive of scum and toxicity that is Reddit.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

I'm not sure that being technical director of a software product should mean that you're obligated to expose yourself to the wretched hive of scum and toxicity that is Reddit.

He is exposed to every social media platform on the planet, but he can shield himself from it by not paying attention to any criticism until forced to by his own bosses.

}
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That was by design, so that you wouldn’t feel as much of a loss when upgrading to a higher level item that isn’t yet fully unlocked.

Why does game design based around a feeling of degrees of loss when getting a gear upgrade exist to begin with?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

That's the whole point of the mission table in the first place though. The whole point is to get you to log in every day, if not multiple times a day, by enticing you with easy rewards. The whole point is to keep you thinking about WoW all the time.

Take away the reward, and you just have a fucking useless doohickey. Which, sure, fine, there's nothing inherently wrong about a video game/MMO without a compulsive, addictive cellphone game sorta mechanism, but if you're going to have such a mechanic in the game at all, then... wut?

Again, it's just like... what the hell are the senior designers doing/thinking?

The old one was rather punitive actually. Throw your only follower that can counter something out on a 3-6 day mission, not realizing you'd need that follower for a required mission and you were shit out of luck. Save for commendation missions losing value, the bonus is in the gold, pet charms, azerite and the consumables you can get. There are the additional outposts as well and the upgrades, though the one where you get wolves, is there some impact that I just didn't find yet or is that largely worthless because all the other stuff either gave me something that helped (chauffer ettin, scrapper, buffs) or a fun cosmetic (the wicker man disguise in mudfisher cove).

• Options
    edited September 2018
    The current mission table rewards align much more closely with the effort that's required to attain them. That's a good thing.

Javen on
  • Options
    He brushed off the Shaman class issues question. The Shaman rage is going to be amazing.

}
  • Options
    He brushed off the Shaman class issues question. The Shaman rage is going to be amazing.

I mean he says right off the bat its not his area.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The shaman issue is probably really frustrating for them, because in the infamous blue post where they admitted shaman needed work, they were referring to very specific things, mostly in restoration that were in fact fixed in the beta. But now that post gets pointed to whenever someone loses in the damage meters.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I mean he says right off the bat its not his area.

He's in charge of the entire game. I find this deeply unsatisfactory. He should know what the class designers are up to and how they plan to tackle the issue.

• Options
    Honestly, I read the azerite armor response as, "Save all your azerite pieces, because there's going to be a patch soon that's gonna fuck up all your azerite trait choices."

This discussion has been closed.