As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Jaina is good if you like that kinda deck, slow grindy control stuff. She’s your win condition, comparable to guldan who is probably the strongest death knight.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The biggest problem with Jaina decks is sometime you don't draw Jaina and then you lose games that are favorable.

Feels bad.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Even current rexxar outvalues jaina pretty heavily

Jaina just presents a puzzle to figure out in which you can't do the usual hearthstone thing of make the most valuey trades possible

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Your hero power killing things makes 3/6 water elementals with lifesteal that freeze whatever they attack

Big mage has a lot of ways to reduce minions hp to 1 (lots of AOE, polymorph, voodoo doll, trades)

Beasteh on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yeah the random deck can lead to bad matchups. I go against Rexxar with shaman (I know but I wanted to try it). I get a good hand and my evolves are actually useful but he has a hand full of poison minions and once the mana starts coming up he gets to shine with his hero power. I also drew a spell.

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Your hero power killing things makes 3/6 water elementals with lifesteal that freeze whatever they attack

Big mage has a lot of ways to reduce minions hp to 1 (lots of AOE, polymorph, voodoo doll, trades)

While true, it is as I said, a puzzle. Leaving trades on the board to enable the hero power is just a mistake, trade differently. Voodoo is a free elemental, so you try to bait it early. But mage can't do one damage from hand, can only do 2 with blizzard (and geddon but cant use that to make a WE) and can only do 4 with flamestrike (or fury if they run polymorph, but that nukes their elementals too). If your deck contains tons of 4 health things well, you're in for a rough time because lots of stuff does 3, even lich king can give a 3 damage aoe

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

While true, it is as I said, a puzzle. Leaving trades on the board to enable the hero power is just a mistake, trade differently. Voodoo is a free elemental, so you try to bait it early. But mage can't do one damage from hand, can only do 2 with blizzard (and geddon but cant use that to make a WE) and can only do 4 with flamestrike (or fury if they run polymorph, but that nukes their elementals too). If your deck contains tons of 4 health things well, you're in for a rough time because lots of stuff does 3, even lich king can give a 3 damage aoe

Puzzles tend to leave you with zero options. That's the whole point of the puzzle, is to allow zero actual plays available to you. If the only safe minion you can play is something with 6 or more health (because anything smaller than that can be taken to 1 with a single spell), you might as well chuck your whole deck in the trash and concede. Especially considering so many of the decks in this brawl are zoos.

I played Druid this morning and I had 5 cards in hand with 1 health. I then played Warrior and had 6 cards in hand with 1 health. So the puzzle aspect was really lost on me and I was just kinda annoyed that I had a bunch of unplayable cards because the other person auto-picked the strongest DK in the brawl. Jaina's bullshit, and that they gave the other decks that much Sindragosa fodder is pretty short-sighted. At one point I just played my hand and then board wiped them to progress me on my quest, because what the fuck else could I do with them?

And yeah, every opponent is Jaina now. Wasn't yesterday, but it sure is today. Guess I can't fault people for going after the easy pack.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Oh, if you're talking about the brawl then whatever because you are playing random cards and jaina is 9 turns early and free, of course that's going to be strong

I'm talking about normal play, there's only so much aoe and you can often bait it before jaina shows up and manage it post-jaina, plus you have a turn where your opponent basically just pays 9 mana and passes. BSM has managed to sneak across the tier 1 line a couple times and that's it, not exactly the sign of oppression

Phyphor on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    My last game as Jaina saw my Jaina opponent play a 1/1 to start the game. Thanks for the free win I guess?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My last game as Jaina saw my Jaina opponent play a 1/1 to start the game. Thanks for the free win I guess?

I lost my first brawl as Jaina against Gul'dan because it was the first time I'd ever seen the DK cards and i had no idea wtf was going on. Just before I died I suddenly realized why I had all these 1 health and token generating minions in my deck, because I remembered I could hero power my own shit.

Yeah I didn't really lose a ton of brawls after that.

• Options
    I came very close to beating a Jaina who had no fucking idea how to play, and then I was very sad when, at 10 health, they suddenly figured out that they shouldn't be trading to kill my minions, and started making Water Elementals like crazy.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Jaina is my nemesis DK. Took me a long time to get better at board states and knowing what not to play.

I don't have the specific numbers, but I want to say my win rate during TFT against Mages after they played her was DUDE JUST UNINSTALL THIS ALREADY.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Glad DKs are rotating because FL Jaina is one of the single most unfun cards to play against and immediately makes any board centric deck unviable if the game goes long

A single card should not be that oppressive

It was one of the legendaries I got in my free packs when I started playing again. I'm getting the impression I should make a deck with it, or....?

I like this deck for Jaina, but some use her in spellmage as well. There's not really a reason not to run her, unless you're doing hyperaggro

### Hand me downs
    # Class: Mage
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Fire Fly
    # 2x (1) Glacial Shard
    # 2x (2) Book of Specters
    # 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (3) Voodoo Doll
    # 2x (4) Fire Plume Phoenix
    # 2x (4) Steam Surger
    # 2x (4) Tol'vir Stoneshaper
    # 2x (5) Bonfire Elemental
    # 2x (6) Meteorologist
    # 1x (6) Mossy Horror
    # 2x (7) Astromancer
    # 2x (7) Blazecaller
    # 1x (9) Frost Lich Jaina
    # 2x (12) Mountain Giant
    #
    AAECAf0EApvTAsvsAg7hB5fBAsLBApnCApvCAqzCAuvCAsrDAsjHAs7vArfxAs7yAsP4ArX8AgA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    DK Jaina is cool and all but I don't think I've had time to play her against a deck that played minions.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I think if Even Shaman is still up there on the next VS report, I'm going to finally bite the bullet and craft that shit.

• Options
    Speak of the devil Thawmus.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-106/

VS Report #106

T1 is Token Druid, Cube Hunter, Evenlock, Even Shaman, and Odd Warrior. Quest Rogue takes Even Shaman's spot at 4-1.

• Options
    We shall not speak of the Devil Thawmus today.

But in other news, WOOHOO! It's a good day to craft!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the 'problem' with jaina is that you're not getting value from her until turn 10 at the absolute minimum, and the rest of the mage kit doesn't lend itself super well to defending against the various aggro types that're trying to kill you before then. There's big spell mage, but it's never been that much of a fixture in the meta and elemental mage isn't efficient enough to see play

she's better than guldan on balance, but warlock has a much better suite of control cards and more draw

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Life tap is and will always be completely busted.

• Options
    Base Life Tap is better than most upgraded hero powers.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    We shall not speak of the Devil Thawmus today.

But in other news, WOOHOO! It's a good day to craft!

Oh man, I'm gonna come up about 5,000 dust short on that deck. Fuuuuuck!

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Base Life Tap is better than most upgraded hero powers.

I seriously miss it when I play Warlock in the current Brawl.

• Options
    I can’t imagine a more unbalance power than draw every turn without sacrificing cards.

The old adage used to be, well warlock has bad class cards, but that’s not true anymore and hasn’t been for a while.

• Options
    BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    Ok, Malygos Rogue was fun for the memes, but I think I'm gonna try and take Even Paladin to Legend this month.

geWCbPBAojHApvLApboAgA=.png

In this ridiculously polarized meta, it's the only deck I've played that has a decent winrate across the board in terms of matchups. A lot of the matchups that I currently loathe just become much more manageable. Crystalsmith Kangor and your other Divine Shield stickies are great against the likes of Tempo Mage and Zoo, Quest Rogue becomes slightly less irritating when you're able to clear with Equality (although Sonya/Scalehide/Boar should still be nuked from orbit IMO). The Equality/Consecration/Avenging Wrath package is just amazing - I want to say almost half my games end with an Equality/Avenging Wrath to my opponent's face.

The only part of the deck that feels bad is Windfury Harpy. It's your only option to activate Windfury on your Corpsetaker, and Corpsetaker into Kings allows you close out games incredibly early, but drawing it is just awful.

• Options
    I wonder if the reason Even Shaman is so unpopular is its strength in Wild. When I started playing Wild in KotFT it was because I wanted to play the 'good' Reno Priest.

• Options
    The pause after playing his card and realizing what happened was priceless.

f865uh1qrr2z.png

That's why you always take Cornered Sentry against Druid...just in case.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Ok, Malygos Rogue was fun for the memes, but I think I'm gonna try and take Even Paladin to Legend this month.

Been trying to fine-tune Even Paladin ever since the CtA change, so I wish you all the luck with this variant.

I have no Corpsetakers, otherwise I'd absolutely give this a whirl.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Going 5-0 to finish the 300 gold quest feels great.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    "Win the tavern brawl 5 times" is the second quest?

You fuckin' kidding me?

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »

You fuckin' kidding me?

Yea, that sucked. I had so many mage vs mage games. I feel like its probably quicker to just concede if they get a nut opener or you don't feel like yours is very good.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    I just beat some poor Mecha'thun Druid by Glacial Sharding his Gadgetzan for 6 turns while he died to fatigue.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Just you wait - Moorabi is going to be a breakout star when the next expansion comes out with a dozen Freeze cards.

• Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »

You fuckin' kidding me?

Yea, that sucked. I had so many mage vs mage games. I feel like its probably quicker to just concede if they get a nut opener or you don't feel like yours is very good.

I just concede if they're playing Mage. No point in wasting my time.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    - welcome bundle is back except get a random classic dragon legendary
    Oh, great. This will have come about two months too late for me. I'm still missing about 16 classic legendaries, including 6 class ones, but I just so happen to have all the dragons now, as my last classic legendary I opened was Nozdormu.

• Options
    I don't think it's purchasable if you bought it the first time around. Or is it not live yet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vicious scalehide being added to the pool was the one card that bumped it up from being a fun card to a powerful card; if that didn't exist, it would still be a win condition but it wouldn't be enough by itself in many matchups
    Vicious Scalehide sure doesn't seem to be in my Rexxar's pool. :mad:

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't think it's purchasable if you bought it the first time around. Or is it not live yet?

it is in fact explicitly purchaseable again, because why would they not take your money

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

it is in fact explicitly purchaseable again, because why would they not take your money

Ah, mustn't be live then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yes, that was an "In the works" blog, i.e., stuff to come probably starting in October.

I just beat up on my dummy account to do the win 5 tavern brawls quest. Didn't really feel like playing 2+ hours of mage vs. mage.

forty on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've only got 22 more classic cards to go. Not all legendaries, there's more than a few epics missing. Mage secrets in particular just don't seem to like me.